Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

blugu64 posted:

the tolerant left

The tolerant left is the problem, the left should be very very intolerant of the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yah and he's saying the Dems are projecting blame instead of looking at their own failures, just like every sane person has been saying

And the media is a stupid hype machine you shouldn't believe.

Chalk another one up for Trump/Prorat

I really feel bad for you.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Dizz posted:

I really feel bad for you.

You shouldn't, it's going from one victory to the next

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blugu64 posted:

the tolerant left

You wanted us to be less tolerant and then you bitch when you get exactly what you asked for. Typical subhuman conservative.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

The tolerant left is the problem, the left should be very very intolerant of the right.

this is a good idea

lumping everyone who isn't in lockstep ideologically with you into the right is a bad idea

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Who What Now posted:

Typical subhuman conservative.

And I vote!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

new phone who dis posted:

Wilson was one of the only sane minds that advocated for a less draconian settlement than Versailles.

You're right, I misremembered.

Still, dude put his name on pretty much the worst International Relations school of thought, and for that, I'll always dislike him, at least a little.

quote:

Herbert Hoover was way loving worse than GWB. He had unpaid military members camped out in winter in DC.

Hoover was bad, but I don't think he was worse than Dubya. Dubya single-handedly did the impossible and made the Middle East exponentially worse than it's ever been, he made conflict with Russia inevitable, he tried to privatize social security, he tried to amend the Constitution to outlaw gay marriage, and he put Alito on SCOTUS. gently caress him, he's the worst.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2017

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

this is a good idea

lumping everyone who isn't in lockstep ideologically with you into the right is a bad idea

That's literally what you are doing though

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blugu64 posted:

And I vote!

For now...

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Who What Now posted:

You wanted us to be less tolerant and then you bitch when you get exactly what you asked for. Typical subhuman conservative.

You should be less tolerant. Of the corporatists and race baiters in the left's ranks. You need to purge out the the ideologically impure. Usually after losses, teams start purging out the losers, instead they're putting Hillary in as QB again

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You should be less tolerant. Of the corporatists and race baiters in the left's ranks.

Who would the race baiters be, Spunky? Also give me an example or two of their race baiting.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

You're right, I misremembered.

Still, dude put his name on pretty much the worst International Relations school of thought, and for that, I'll always dislike him, at least a little.

Hoover was bad, but I don't think he was worse than Dubya. Dubya single-handedly did the impossible and made the Middle East exponentially worse than it's ever been, he made conflict with Russia inevitable, he tried to privatize social security, he tried to amend the Constitution to outlaw gay marriage, and he put Alito on SCOTUS. gently caress him, he's the worst.

You're just that invested because you were alive for it. If you were alive for Hoover's handling of The Great Depression, I'm 100% sure you would have found that worse.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Bholder posted:

That's literally what you are doing though

its fun

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You should be less tolerant. Of the corporatists and race baiters in the left's ranks. You need to purge out the the ideologically impure. Usually after losses, teams start purging out the losers, instead they're putting Hillary in as QB again

Ill get to that after the real enemy, meaning actual racists and homophobes like you, are ground into the dust.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

Who would the race baiters be, Spunky? Also give me an example or two of their race baiting.

Its any black person that doesn't act like Uncle Tom from Song of the South. Come on, you should know his beliefs by now.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Who What Now posted:

Ill get to that after the real enemy, meaning actual racists and homophobes like you, are ground into the dust.

You literally said society is made up of people stifling their own inherent racism to get along, you're a race realist lmao... funny how it's always projection coming from folk like you

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You literally said society is made up of people stifling their own inherent racism to get along, you're a race realist lmao... funny how it's always projection coming from folk like you

Once again you're confusing me for another poster.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Who What Now posted:

Yes. This is the basis upon which all civil society is based on. Its been like this since the dawn of recorded history.

This was about "lying about your racist motivations" meaning society is people pretending to not be racist

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

This was about "lying about your racist motivations" meaning society is people pretending to not be racist

No, that's your projecting onto what I said. Ill explain it again, you're confusing me with another poster (that poster is you)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

You're just that invested because you were alive for it. If you were alive for Hoover's handling of The Great Depression, I'm 100% sure you would have found that worse.

Well, possibly. But to me, I'm more interested in the impact that these presidents had on the world at large. Hoover obviously hosed up gloriously in the Great Depression, but he didn't plant the seeds of it. The stock market crash was going to happen, regardless of what he did or didn't do - he just made the crisis a lot worse. His global impact was smaller than Dubya's, and that's what I'm more interested in personally: how much President A hosed up the world as opposed to President B. I don't think there's any comparison, personally: Bush took the U.S.' unipolar moment, and squandered it in a campaign that turned the Middle East into one giant-rear end proxy war.

Who What Now posted:

Its any black person that doesn't act like Uncle Tom from Song of the South. Come on, you should know his beliefs by now.

Sssh, I want to hear how he words it.:ssh:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hoover and FDR were running the same worthless interventionist playbook, but because much of the "history" accepted as gospel these days was written by FDR lackeys and fellow travelers, it's rare to encounter anyone who knows this.

Rexford Tugwell, part of FDR's "Brain Trust" confessed: "We didn’t admit it at the time, but practically the whole New Deal was extrapolated from programs that Hoover started."

You should read "The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression" if you'd like a deeper understanding than Krugman-esque talking points for ideologues.

https://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Man-History-Great-Depression/dp/0060936428

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Majorian posted:

Yah right, I'm not going to go through a quagmire of "is this racist? is that racist? that's racist!"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

Well, possibly. But to me, I'm more interested in the impact that these presidents had on the world at large. Hoover obviously hosed up gloriously in the Great Depression, but he didn't plant the seeds of it. The stock market crash was going to happen, regardless of what he did or didn't do - he just made the crisis a lot worse. His global impact was smaller than Dubya's, and that's what I'm more interested in personally: how much President A hosed up the world as opposed to President B. I don't think there's any comparison, personally: Bush took the U.S.' unipolar moment, and squandered it in a campaign that turned the Middle East into one giant-rear end proxy war.

The Middle East has been a proxy war since the 1950s. GWB hosed up Iraq but on the historical presidential scale he's really not even in the top 10. Haha I almost forgot that Hoover was also a prohibitionist.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

The Middle East has been a proxy war since the 1950s. GWB hosed up Iraq but on the historical presidential scale he's really not even in the top 10. Haha I almost forgot that Hoover was also a prohibitionist.

I disagree. He has to be in the top 3 at least.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nut to Butt posted:

Hoover and FDR were running the same worthless interventionist playbook, but because much of the "history" accepted as gospel these days was written by FDR lackeys and fellow travelers, it's rare to encounter anyone who knows this.

Rexford Tugwell, part of FDR's "Brain Trust" confessed: "We didn’t admit it at the time, but practically the whole New Deal was extrapolated from programs that Hoover started."

You should read "The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression" if you'd like a deeper understanding than Krugman-esque talking points for ideologues.

https://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Man-History-Great-Depression/dp/0060936428

It's just right wing pap though there is a point in there where hoover didnt ignore the depression, he just didn't do enough. Hoover did have a history of trying to help devastated regions recover.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yah right, I'm not going to go through a quagmire of "is this racist? is that racist? that's racist!"

See, you're a cowardly pissbitch that doesnt have the balls to own up to his beliefs. Have some self respect, at least.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Who What Now posted:

See, you're a cowardly pissbitch that doesnt have the balls to own up to his beliefs. Have some self respect, at least.

I'm avoiding a 10 page derail

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
http://thebiglead.com/2017/04/19/watch-rob-gronkowski-interrupts-white-house-press-briefing/

if this wasn't scripted it's funny as hell

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy russssiaaaaaaaaaa

spunk, I read the entire greenwald article you linked. good article, since greenwald lets his subject talk. these were the closest things I could find that support you:

"Vitali Shkliarov posted:

Like, instead of like learning from mistakes and move on. Come, the election is over, move on guys. Learn. Like, Russia, sure, maybe they did it. Who cares right now? It’s done already.

[...]

Even if Russia did the election hacking: it’s not about that. Like, nobody is sane. Both parties are hiding some skeletons.

guy specifically says he isn't taking a position, and he warns that the Dem establishment would use the narrative as proof that Neoliberalism Cannot Fail, She It Can Only Be Failed. well, yeah, don't think anyone disagrees with that. that says nothing about the factual nature of turmp piss

now for a thing I hadn't paid attention to before this post

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

i'm pretty sure 'civilization' is a lot about 'suppressing biological impulses'

like, you know, the whole thing about how we are all walking blobs of meat that want to gently caress and kill, with a three-pound clump of neurons on top that foolishly thinks it runs the show, and the meat lets the impulses to gently caress and kill quiet down a little bit in return for dopamine infusions from the neuron clump

maybe this is not the Commonly Accepted View but I put racism ("kill the Other") in that same category of things that people do that civilization should tamp down for universal benefit

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Krustic posted:

I disagree. He has to be in the top 3 at least.

Do you have a good handle on how terrible some of our older presidents actually were? Andrew Jackson was terrible. Grover Cleveland was terrible. Johnson and Grant were both astoundingly bad. Nixon was poo poo. Hello, Monroe Doctrine! That's not even counting the long-running South and Central American interventions multiple presidents signed on for that were at least the equivalent of our current day Middle Eastern excursions but closer to home.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

World War Mammories posted:

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy russssiaaaaaaaaaa

spunk, I read the entire greenwald article you linked. good article, since greenwald lets his subject talk. these were the closest things I could find that support you:

guy specifically says he isn't taking a position, and he warns that the Dem establishment would use the narrative as proof that Neoliberalism Cannot Fail, She It Can Only Be Failed. well, yeah, don't think anyone disagrees with that. that says nothing about the factual nature of turmp piss

now for a thing I hadn't paid attention to before this post

i'm pretty sure 'civilization' is a lot about 'suppressing biological impulses'

like, you know, the whole thing about how we are all walking blobs of meat that want to gently caress and kill, with a three-pound clump of neurons on top that foolishly thinks it runs the show, and the meat lets the impulses to gently caress and kill quiet down a little bit in return for dopamine infusions from the neuron clump

maybe this is not the Commonly Accepted View but I put racism ("kill the Other") in that same category of things that people do that civilization should tamp down for universal benefit

You speak to Spunky as if he is speaking coherent.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

It's just right wing pap though there is a point in there where hoover didnt ignore the depression, he just didn't do enough. Hoover did have a history of trying to help devastated regions recover.

It's not. It's an important work that eviscerates the 100% wrong historical narrative taught in high schools and colleges across the country. Leftists will make any excuse to delegitimize information they find unpalatable. They'll stoop to whatever depths necessary to besmirch the quality of work underlying that information, and/or the character of its messenger. It's sad, and self-defeating, because it means they never synthesize the information, and rely on hoary arguments to justify their facile understanding of the subject matter. This is why leftism keeps losing in unmoderated internet spaces- because its arguments don't hold up to rigorous and honest scrutiny. So, the illiberal left has embraced Stalin's ethos: “Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas?”

But FDR just didn't do enough either, right? Double down! Leftism cannot fail, it can only be failed!

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Nut to Butt posted:

It's not. It's an important work that eviscerates the 100% wrong historical narrative taught in high schools and colleges across the country. Leftists will make any excuse to delegitimize information they find unpalatable. They'll stoop to whatever depths necessary to besmirch the quality of work underlying that information, and/or the character of its messenger. It's sad, and self-defeating, because it means they never synthesize the information, and rely on hoary arguments to justify their facile understanding of the subject matter. This is why leftism keeps losing in unmoderated internet spaces- because its arguments don't hold up to rigorous and honest scrutiny. So, the illiberal left has embraced Stalin's ethos: “Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas?”

But FDR just didn't do enough either, right? Double down! Leftism cannot fail, it can only be failed!

What if I proclaim your book fake news? Did you know that books are a part of the media, and the media is fake news?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Do you have a good handle on how terrible some of our older presidents actually were? Andrew Jackson was terrible. Grover Cleveland was terrible. Johnson and Grant were both astoundingly bad. Nixon was poo poo. Hello, Monroe Doctrine! That's not even counting the long-running South and Central American interventions multiple presidents signed on for that were at least the equivalent of our current day Middle Eastern excursions but closer to home.

The original question was worst presidents AFTER 1900.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bag em and tag em posted:

"if you're so tolerant how come you're intolerant of racists hmm?"

Thats not a cool awesome Gotcha. It's actually bad and stupid, just fyi.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I'm avoiding a 10 page derail

What derail? We already know you're talking about Jesse Jackson and So Sharpton and that your problem with them is that they dare to have an opinion while being black.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blugu64 posted:

the tolerant left

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dizz posted:

You speak to Spunky as if he is speaking coherent.

I got him to quote a shitpost about smashing capitalism being the one true solution

playing the long game

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nut to Butt posted:

This thread is worth it for weird posts like this. "100% wrong" "Stalin's ethos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

This doesn't even mean anything, all tribesmen are leftist?

• Locked thread