Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sundae posted:

This sort of exists. Samsung makes a fridge with a webcam so that you can see what's on the shelves.

the future of doxxing, anonymous enemies milkshaming you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

boner confessor posted:

the future of doxxing, anonymous enemies milkshaming you

3%??? Do you even lift tubby?

I imagine it being like that idiotic old-web weightlifting forum discussion repeated forever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

outlier posted:

It's not just racial issues, there's a whole heap of problems with genetic correlates of disease.

Look, it's common shorthand to talk about "the gene for disease X". But we've got few cut and dried examples of that. It's the great crisis of genetic association: everyone thought it was going to show what defect causes what disease but that largely didn't happen. We ended up with huge clouds of possible sites that in combination maybe raise your risk of Alzheimer's/ heart disease / asthma / whatever by a few percent. The whole field is replete with false hits and p value hacking and there are people walking around with supposed lethal mutations who are perfectly alright. The field is very much in its infancy.

So when a test reveals that you have a mutation that "predisposes" you to high blood pressure? Take it with a lot of salt. Or not. 😊

Yes, exactly. There are relatively few diseases/conditions that can be reliably predicted given the sort of analysis commonly done at present. In reality most diseases are likely caused by a complex network of many variables that are very difficult to analyze in a way that isn't incredibly computationally intensive.

Progress is definitely being made in the area of systems genetics, but we're a long way from being able to do a 23andme style test and say "mm yes you're definitely going to get X disease." I think part of the problem is that, until relatively recently (like the last couple decades) biology/genetics didn't require the same level of statistical/mathematical expertise that it now does. So you have a lot of bunch of biologists just running GWAS's because they lack the background to do a more complex analysis. A lot of the talent that the field could use is siphoned off into more lucrative fields like finance (etc) because the same money isn't there in biology/genetics. Most of the people doing this sort of work are doing it because of personal passion.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sundae posted:

I prefer this new-fangled kitchen accessory:

Who thinks to themself, "uh-oh, almost out of corn, better make a grocery list"?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

withak posted:

Who thinks to themself, "uh-oh, almost out of corn, better make a grocery list"?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Anyone born before 2010 (or so I thought)? The grocery list is on the fridge door. If I see something is low or out, I write it on the list along with all the groceries I know I need for next week's intended meals. On Saturday, I buy it, stock the fridge and then start the next list. No webcams or fridge apps required.

Edit: ^^^ That too. I'm made of corn. Roll in lemon juice and cayenne, then grill myself and call it a day. :D

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Whatever, grampa

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Our house uses a google doc with a shopping list that we add to whenever we use the last of a spice or open the last carton of milk or use the last rechargable battery or whatever. I could imagine a world with RFIDs in everything that makes life slightly easier (though I could also imagine the devil being in the details of that implementation) but this or the paper equivalent isn't that hard and probably beats looking at live images.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This is actually the major use of Alexa in our house: "Alexa, add milk to the shopping list". The kids are now more likely to update the list when they use the last of something. (We did not buy it to use as a shopping list; that's just how it shook out. The music is great, too.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

^^^ :hf:

I use an Echo to add stuff to my shopping list, and it is unironically great. Way better than typing it in on my phone.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My dad has severe dyslexia and I grew up drawing little pictures of food (and writing very neatly in English in case he needed to ask for help at the store). Still do it when I visit. :3:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

^^^ :hf:

I use an Echo to add stuff to my shopping list, and it is unironically great. Way better than typing it in on my phone.
It is fantastic to be elbow-deep in pasta and yelp "Alexa! Add flour to the list." No matter where you are in the cooking process, you can start a timer or update the shopping list. Privacy? What privacy? Spy on me, ye conglomerates! I need your shiny shiny toys.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is fantastic to be elbow-deep in pasta and yelp "Alexa! Add flour to the list." No matter where you are in the cooking process, you can start a timer or update the shopping list. Privacy? What privacy? Spy on me, ye conglomerates! I need your shiny shiny toys.

Google Keep always saves my prep vegetables reminder as "pet vegetables," though.

No, thank you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

hold on, i dont think this thread is supposed to be about how awesome technology is

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

hold on, i dont think this thread is supposed to be about how awesome technology is

PET-bottles changed my life.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

Google Keep always saves my prep vegetables reminder as "pet vegetables," though.

No, thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I take it you missed the iThread. (hastily throws salt over shoulder)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just love this from the Juicero article:

In terms of wifi kitchen appliances, fridge with rfid/barcode scanner, stove and oven with thermal probes and/or camera could be neat to let you pre-heat or monitor the cooking process remotely. Doesn't even have to work over internet, though that would be trivial at that point. But just checking my roast over LAN would be great so I don't have to get my lazy rear end off the computer chair. I actually already sometimes use my wifi camera to do that...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stove camera surveillance just seems like a recipe for disaster.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
A lot of that internet-of-things stuff seems neat-o as like a hobby or whatever but not useful to like your typical person. Most of it isn't even practical or time-saving even for early-adopting techies.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Its going to be very interesting to see which of these are still in business and seen widespread adoption in 5 years. A good friend of mine is an early adopter for all kinds of tech, which is nice for me as I get to hear from him what is useful and what isn't. So far the devices he likes the most are Hue lighting and Nest.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I own a pen

E: and some paper.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

I own a pen

E: and some paper.

that's nothing. i just scratch things on walls using my fingernails :smug:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I simply commit everything to memory, the original notepad.

As far as I can remember, I've never forgotten a thing.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
To be fair "Nespresso, but for juice" does seem like the kind of pitch that would net you millions on capital.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

In terms of wifi kitchen appliances, fridge with rfid/barcode scanner, stove and oven with thermal probes and/or camera could be neat to let you pre-heat or monitor the cooking process remotely. Doesn't even have to work over internet, though that would be trivial at that point. But just checking my roast over LAN would be great so I don't have to get my lazy rear end off the computer chair. I actually already sometimes use my wifi camera to do that...

Hahaha this thing is amazing. It's gone from the basic premise being super-dumb -- how exactly is juice any different between being squeezed "fresh" from a bag of salad treated to be shelf-stable, vs squeezed from a heap of salad at a factory and treated to be shelf-stable in the bottle? -- to the entire gadget being a sham.

Actually I'd bet the reason the bags are just bags of juice, not bags of whole chunky stuff, is that juice is much more naturally stable than chunky stuff. Higher concentration of sugars, acids, and other natural preservatives once you remove all the other stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

Hahaha this thing is amazing. It's gone from the basic premise being super-dumb -- how exactly is juice any different between being squeezed "fresh" from a bag of salad treated to be shelf-stable, vs squeezed from a heap of salad at a factory and treated to be shelf-stable in the bottle? -- to the entire gadget being a sham.

Actually I'd bet the reason the bags are just bags of juice, not bags of whole chunky stuff, is that juice is much more naturally stable than chunky stuff. Higher concentration of sugars, acids, and other natural preservatives once you remove all the other stuff.

Uh, the bags are very much not shelf-stable. They were originally available in only 3 states, and now only in 17, because they need to be shipped and received very soon after being made or they go bad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

They claimed the machine used "four tons" of pressing power. Enough to lift a Tesla.

That woman is clearly The Incredible Hulk.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The more I think about this the more absurd it gets. It's pretty much a vise with useless IoT bells and whistles haphazardly bolted on in a vain attempt to qualify as a tech product.

poo poo like this gets millions in seed money and we have people using gofundme to finance their cancer treatments.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

WampaLord posted:

They claimed the machine used "four tons" of pressing power. Enough to lift a Tesla.

Someone who's a less lazy engineer than me calculate how much that thing would have to draw from a 115v plug to produce 4 tons of force.

e: wait it probably just uses threaded things

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

TheScott2K posted:

Someone who's a less lazy engineer than me calculate how much that thing would have to draw from a 115v plug to produce 4 tons of force.

e: wait it probably just uses threaded things

I'm guessing some kind of worm gear arrangement that takes 15 minutes to make 8oz of juice.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Of course it uses lots of threads, it's a tech sector gadget.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Mr. Nemo posted:

To be fair "Nespresso, but for juice" does seem like the kind of pitch that would net you millions on capital.

If you're looking for a place to put your retirement fund here's a food version. One thumb up for comparing it to Star Trek replicators and another for being all natural.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Well yeah, you'd have to be some sort of She-Hulk to get the juice from that bag

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Has anyone considered just putting a straw in the $10 caprisun bag yet?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rhesus Pieces posted:

poo poo like this gets millions in seed money and we have people using gofundme to finance their cancer treatments.

curing one person's cancer doesn't provide a chance of consistent 2% investment growth, friend

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MiddleOne posted:

Stove camera surveillance just seems like a recipe for disaster.

But think of just how much more insufferable foodies can be when their every post on social media has time lapse videos.

cowofwar posted:

Has anyone considered just putting a straw in the $10 caprisun bag yet?

I'd certainly like someone to take a pair of scissors to one so I can see just how lovely the contents are.

EDIT: And here we go:

Hardly what anyone would call "chunks".

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 20, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

But think of just how much more insufferable foodies can be when their every post on social media has time lapse videos.

I'd certainly like someone to take a pair of scissors to one so I can see just how lovely the contents are.

I'd go with 'blender barf' myself.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Juicing as an obsession is such a urban white people dieting fad. They want to tout the merits of juicing as some cure-all when without consuming the skin and pulp you're losing out on a huge amount of the nutritional value of the produce. The only juicing site/blog I ever saw that made me think "hey maybe this isn't a bad idea" was someone who took all the leftover pulp and used it as a cooking ingredient in soups, omelettes, baking etc. because otherwise you are throwing away 90% of the edible material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The more I think about this the more absurd it gets. It's pretty much a vise with useless IoT bells and whistles haphazardly bolted on in a vain attempt to qualify as a tech product.

"[s posted:

Venture[/s] Vulture Capitalist, after ACHA"]
I'll finance your cancer treatment in exchange for 5% of your lifetime earnings after remission or 10% of your estate if remission is not accomplished.