Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There should be a shader that mimics what an old CRT looks like when a news team is filming it while someone complains about videogames on the 6pm evening news.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I know I've mentioned it in this thread before, but this seems like a good time as any to reiterate: I've still got a couple of nice CRT monitors that I can push up to 160hz vsynced and fast FPS games like Quake and GZDoom look so impossibly smooth on them that it re-blows my mind every time I heave them out of storage.

And they do look a bit soft, compared to a 1080p display, but nothing like any faux-CRT filter that I've ever seen.

Edit: and black levels? shiiiiiiiiit...

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 17, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There should be a shader that mimics what an old CRT looks like when a news team is filming it while someone complains about videogames on the 6pm evening news.

:colbert:

Copper Vein posted:

I know I've mentioned it in this thread before, but this seems like a good time as any to reiterate: I've still got a couple of nice CRT monitors that I can push up to 160hz vsynced and fast FPS games like Quake and GZDoom look so impossibly smooth on them that it re-blows my mind every time I heave them out of storage.

And they do look a bit soft, compared to a 1080p display, but nothing like any faux-CRT filter that I've ever seen.

Yeah but get a 144Hz LCD with g-sync and you get the best of both worlds. Impossibly smooth but also modern resolution. :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Killing Time is 76% off at GOG right now, just over £2. No idea if any good. Slave Zero and Requiem: Avenging Angel also reduced.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs8U9Ns32JY

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
i'm really impressed how well the level design in dark forces 2: jedi knight holds up. they manage to feel open without being labyrinthine or confusing. i'd only ever played the demo back in the day so no rose colored glasses. hopefully mysteries of the sith is just as good, about to start it next.

i wouldn't recommend the Jedi Knight Enhanced packs though. the higher poly models just look.. off.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Trip report, Crispy Doom is awesome. It's exactly what I was looking for.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

the nucas posted:

i'm really impressed how well the level design in dark forces 2: jedi knight holds up. they manage to feel open without being labyrinthine or confusing. i'd only ever played the demo back in the day so no rose colored glasses. hopefully mysteries of the sith is just as good, about to start it next.

i wouldn't recommend the Jedi Knight Enhanced packs though. the higher poly models just look.. off.

Jedi Knight does have some really nice levels. You can tell the developers were really psyched to have the opportunity to make true 3D spaces, they went to a lot of effort to make it fun to move around the world. The game has its problems for sure but as far as the maps go, they were ambitious and mostly successful.

Mysteries isn't anywhere near as good imo. There's some good maps but a lot are memorable only for their difficulty. The relative lack of boss fights also really hurts the game for me.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

skasion posted:

Jedi Knight does have some really nice levels. You can tell the developers were really psyched to have the opportunity to make true 3D spaces, they went to a lot of effort to make it fun to move around the world. The game has its problems for sure but as far as the maps go, they were ambitious and mostly successful.

Mysteries isn't anywhere near as good imo. There's some good maps but a lot are memorable only for their difficulty. The relative lack of boss fights also really hurts the game for me.

I don't remember MotS being all that difficult other than Dromund Kaas, but basically all the other levels were very memorable for their map and environment designs.

I think the games are about par in quality, but JK has the edge of being bigger and having fantastic FMV cutscenes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Doesn't mysteries of the sith start with you rushing through a huge ship as it crashes into the earth? Or am I misremembering its position in the game?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^nope, that's in Jedi Knight, right after the Maw duel if I recall. Outstanding level, albeit gimmicky.

Jehde posted:

I don't remember MotS being all that difficult other than Dromund Kaas, but basically all the other levels were very memorable for their map and environment designs.

I think the games are about par in quality, but JK has the edge of being bigger and having fantastic FMV cutscenes.

MotS has some good set pieces (the sniping bit on the asteroid, the timed escape, the rancor fight, the weird giant underwater zone and the reduced gravity zone in the crime lord base, Dark Mara) and a couple of standout levels (the Kyle levels at the start are all solid, as well as the said crime lord base and the pirates attacking the ship) but there's long stretches that just happen without too much of interest. I feel like it doesn't have very good pacing or difficulty curve compared to the original campaign.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I tried playing JK recently and got put off by a) having to limit the FPS to 47 and b) having to choose between a decent resolution and a readable HUD. For the latter there's a custom replacement but it looks awful :(

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Jedi Knight also has some of the best fan made levels ever. massassi.net has everything you need.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

the nucas posted:

MOTS was made by a different team and it shows. That's not to say that the levels are bad or anything, but I found them to be far less intuitive than the ones in the base game. I haven't played it since I was a kid though, and your post is kind of making me want to revisit it. I never did actually beat the final levels without cheating (you'll know why when you get to them).

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Doesn't mysteries of the sith start with you rushing through a huge ship as it crashes into the earth? Or am I misremembering its position in the game?

I hardly remember MotS at all, but there is definitely a crashing ship level about 3/4 of the way through Jedi Knight.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Jedi Knight also has some of the best fan made levels ever. massassi.net has everything you need.

No joke. JK modding was my introduction to modding, and it really spoiled it for me. So much out there, and so easy to use mods. It's comparable to Doom in level of difficulty to run the mods, which is something I don't feel like happens too frequently anymore.

This is assuming you use Patch Commander, and that PC is still available. I think MZZT made an alternative mod loader at some point too

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Some Jedi Knight forum and chatroom was my first web community. I remember when this level came out. Then we all left and played Delta Force.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought this one was awesome when it cane out. as good as the base game even. I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called until some goon was able to find it with my description. On reinstall I found that it's really not all that great. I guess what probably attracted me was that it was at least somewhat competently made, and actually had an attempt at a story.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
This russian video game website is giving out 20.000 Quake Champions keys, all you have to do is make an account. After a cursory googling they seem legitimate enough and I was able to redeem my key with no issues.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bloodmobile posted:

This russian video game website is giving out 20.000 Quake Champions keys, all you have to do is make an account. After a cursory googling they seem legitimate enough and I was able to redeem my key with no issues.

The keys might be legit, but hell no.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

The keys might be legit, but hell no.

Your loss! Seems like it's a popular forum about games in Russia, just because it's in russian doesn't automatically make it suspicious. You have to remember that Quake Champions is being codeveloped by a Russian studio and Quake has always been pretty big over there.

Hell, they even did the reveal of the QC duel mode in a russian video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrfWtFPgVnw

Which apparently works by each player picking 3 characters with 1 life each. Once you die 3 times and lose all your characters, the round ends. Maps are played best of 3 rounds. They show a full match at around 5 minutes in, featuring a several time QuakeCon duel winner playing against a dev.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 20, 2017

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Use a disposable email service, they don't ask for anything else. Of course it may be a fake key for a fake Russian Quake that may try to infect you with fake news, so keep alert.

...giving away twenty billion keys yet they still couldn't send me one.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bloodmobile posted:

Hell, they even did the reveal of the QC duel mode in a russian video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35fIJJc4m4

Which apparently works by each player picking 3 characters with 1 life each. Once you die 3 times and lose all your characters, the round ends. Maps are played best of 3 rounds. They show a full match at around 5 minutes in, featuring a several time QuakeCon duel winner playing against a dev.

I like some of the things they do there. You can choose your starting gun between mediocre stuff but all the goodies you need to grab on the map. The specials aren't Overwatch-style ultimates but just a tool you can use to get an edge in a fight. And that's a pretty clever way to rotate through multiple characters in a duel mode so you don't have both players just using the same hero in a mirror match the whole time.

I think it's funny that Ranger's special ability is just the drat Translocator, though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just a heads up, less well known angelic shooter Requiem Avenging Angel is on sale on GOG right now.

https://www.gog.com/game/requiem_avenging_angel

I only played the demo but I remember the special powers you could use being fun, will buy this myself I think :)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Already bought a copy during that Steam sale for it, like, a week or two ago?

I'll probably get around to playing it in 2030.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought this one was awesome when it cane out. as good as the base game even. I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called until some goon was able to find it with my description. On reinstall I found that it's really not all that great. I guess what probably attracted me was that it was at least somewhat competently made, and actually had an attempt at a story.

That modder went on to make some of the best Jedi Knight mods. There's the birth of a mercenary and tales of a mercenary series, which almost feel professionally made. They're a prequel to the series, one of which details Kyle's time at the imperial academy. The other teams Kyle up with Han Solo and it doesn't feel too fan servicey.

He even made a Mace Windu level for Jedi Outcast that's really solid. His last project was a Jedi Academy level where you played as Darth Vader.

All of these are very, very good.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
By the way, it's now officially announced that Turok 2 now has Steam/GOG crossplay. You should already have the build capable of doing this as well. If you're on Steam, GOG lobbies can be created/entered simply by going to the specifically marked GOG Galaxy options in the multiplayer menu. If you're on GOG, download GOG Galaxy and the multiplayer lobbies will become available as long as you're logged in.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Turok 2 is out???? Know what I'm doing this weekend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's been out for a month and the remaster has very good reviews.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Turok 2 remaster is great and improves upon the original game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Turok 2 is pretty great but i ran into a bug where the third floaty ghost sister didn't show up in level 2 and now I can't complete it :(

Also the levels are just too drat big, i wish they'd gone for 2/3 the size at most. The music and textures etc just get too samey after that point and I lose all interest.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Welcome to N64 shooters.

Except Daikatana. That had short small levels.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The grandfather of all modern multiplayer first person shooters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Tm6jbPC8k

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Convex posted:

Turok 2 is pretty great but i ran into a bug where the third floaty ghost sister didn't show up in level 2 and now I can't complete it :(

I'd like to say we fixed that but I'm honestly not sure (it sure hasn't been reported for a long time, so that's a good sign). The singleplayer had way too many persistent state conflict bugs. Thanks Iguana. :argh:
What we can't fix is a save that already failed to do a one time trigger. Our save serializer is memory accurate (99% of the time, there's a couple of holes due to Turok2's module component system), which unfortunately comes with its own issue that we can't arbitrarily change the conditions on persistent objects or trigger them. Oddly if we had the checkpoint system, which everybody complained about for Turok1, that wouldn't actually be a problem. :v:

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 20, 2017

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Rocket Pan posted:

I'd like to say we fixed that but I'm honestly not sure (it sure hasn't been reported for a long time, so that's a good sign). The singleplayer had way too many persistent state conflict bugs. Thanks Iguana. :argh:
What we can't fix is a save that already failed to do a one time trigger. Our save serializer is memory accurate (99% of the time, there's a couple of holes due to Turok2's module component system), which unfortunately comes with its own issue that we can't arbitrarily change the conditions on persistent objects or trigger them. Oddly if we had the checkpoint system, which everybody complained about for Turok1, that wouldn't actually be a problem. :v:
Would it be feasible to re-implement the checkpoints to allow the option to make a save that only keeps a limited subset of the data like I assume the original version did, or would that be way too much work? Players could use the save point system as a failsafe in situations like this, or just as an alternative to the manual saves if they prefer to play that way in the first place.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Thanks for replying. Given I'll have to start a new save, is there any way to cheat to just have levels 1 and 2 completed so i can continue from there?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Lork posted:

Would it be feasible to re-implement the checkpoints to allow the option to make a save that only keeps a limited subset of the data like I assume the original version did, or would that be way too much work? Players could use the save point system as a failsafe in situations like this, or just as an alternative to the manual saves if they prefer to play that way in the first place.

It would be a lot of work to re-implement and test, but who knows what the future holds. We still have an Xbox version to release, after all, and for technical reasons any additions to that would be ported to the PC as well.

Convex posted:

Thanks for replying. Given I'll have to start a new save, is there any way to cheat to just have levels 1 and 2 completed so i can continue from there?

Because of the non-linear function of the game, there's no obvious level completion state (at least in my mind there isn't, I primarily worked on multiplayer). It's a bit like trying to warp to a different area in a Metroid game. So in short, no there's no cheat for that.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 20, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rocket Pan posted:

It would be a lot of work to re-implement and test, but who knows what the future holds. We still have an Xbox version to release, after all, and for technical reasons any additions to that would be ported to the PC as well.

Because of the non-linear function of the game, there's no obvious level completion state (at least in my mind there isn't, I primarily worked on multiplayer). It's a bit like trying to warp to a different area in a Metroid game. So in short, no there's no cheat for that.

Can you use console wizardry to mark certain objectives as compete? Or to add keys, feathers, or talismans to your inventory?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Actually yes (why didn't I think of that?), you can give yourself inventory via the 'giveinventory #' command. What the inventory numbers are is pretty much magic numbers (again, thank Iguana), but fortunately the inventory menu reveals what the important numbers are. (If you want to see the full list, pop open game.kpf in 7-zip or Slade3, and open defs/inventoryInfo.txt.)
code:
    hub         kHub_PortOfAdia

item_1      4310 // key01
    item_2      4310 // key01
    item_3      4310 // key01
    item_4      4320 // key02
    item_5      4320 // key02
    item_6      4320 // key02
    item_9      4360 // Primagen key 01
    item_10     4500 // Nuke part

hub         kHub_RiverOfSouls

item_1      4330 // key03
    item_2      4330 // key03
    item_3      4330 // key03
    item_7      4402 // feather02
    item_8      4382 // talisman02
    item_9      4361 // Primagen key02
    item_10     4500 // Nuke part
Side note, it will put the game into a pretty weird state as there will be extra keys lying around, and some of the objectives wont actually be finished, but it shouldn't softlock anything (as a guess, I can't actually guarantee that).

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question but in PRBoom and GZDoom is there a way to disable mouselook but make it so moving the mouse forward doesn't move my guy forward?

fadam fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 21, 2017