Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flikken posted:

Because Wentz isn't a success or failure yet???

They didn't change the rules to immediately induct him into the HoF his rookie season, so he's a failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Derek Carr has played 3 seasons and is +50 on TD's / Ints, and taken a team to a 12 win season, that's an easy hit.

Wentz has played one year like a rookie with a putrid receiving core, so we expect he'll be better then Goff, but who knows, and there's not much to go on. Hell, I wasn't willing to say anything about Mariota / Winston, and they took very solid steps last year.

Also, maybe Bortles is okay, but he's going to have to show significant improvement this year or he'll be chucked in the trash bin. He even has what everyone thought was a good receiving core after what happened in 2015.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Bortles sucks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Let's not forget RG3's rookie year. Jury is out until like year 3 usually.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Diqnol posted:

I find it interesting that you're willing to call Carr a success already but Wentz is conspicuously missing from this post. Also the argument that maybe Bortles is ok.

:laffo:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I haven't seen a lot of him so maybe I'm talking out of my rear end a bit, but it seems like that strange week 3 beat down of the Steelers is doing a whole lot to buoy Wentz's reputation right now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
He looked not stellar but fine against the Ravens.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

So are the pats getting comp picks or what

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

ZenVulgarity posted:

So are the pats getting comp picks or what

They are projected to get an extra 4th (Sheard) and 5th (Bennett) in 2018.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

fsif posted:

I haven't seen a lot of him so maybe I'm talking out of my rear end a bit, but it seems like that strange week 3 beat down of the Steelers is doing a whole lot to buoy Wentz's reputation right now.

that performance was almost entirely screens and passes thrown within 5 yards of the los also iirc. the yac that day was insane

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/BR_DougFarrar/status/854714275444674560
Every single one of these quarterbacks is going to bust.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

fsif posted:

Peterman was getting a bunch of visits according to that reddit post. He's got the same game as Kaaya but faced less pressure all year.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Wentz has flaws but if you watched him last year you know that he was basically the offense. Asking a rookie QB from North Dakota State to be the best player on an NFL offense after he went through the entire off-season as the 3rd QB is pretty much an impossible request.

I think we saw more good than bad from Wentz last year, but we're going to get a much more clear idea of what he really is this fall.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol if QBs go 2-3

quote:

CSN Chicago beat writer John Mullin expects the Bears to draft a QB at No. 3, pointing to Clemson's Deshaun Watson as the pick.

Mullin even offers a potential trade up. "The Bears have conducted some of the most exhaustive research and evaluations in recent memory not of one quarterback but multiple quarterback prospects," he writes, adding Glennon's deal could basically be viewed as a one year contract. The Bears are not a team often mentioned with quarterbacks since signing Glennon, but Mullin makes a compelling case.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Everyone pick QB's so that playoff teams like the MIAMI DOLPHINS can pick defensive players

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Not having an obvious elite premier #1 QB sure does gently caress up the process doesn't it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers are going to get some sick nasty stud or trade down because people are all sad brains for QBs

owns

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Doltos posted:

Not having an obvious elite premier #1 QB sure does gently caress up the process doesn't it

I wouldn't know!!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I dunno if I should be happy that there'll be no qb available for the Texans to reach for

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

wtf Peterman couldn't beat out Josh Dobbs for the starting job at UT and now he's NFL ready?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Tyler Palko beat out Joe Flacco for the starting QB job at Pitt

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Tyler Palko beat out Joe Flacco for the starting QB job at Pitt

TFF has this strange outlook that players can't improve

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
At the end of last season, Wentz was constantly the best player on the field for offense for the Eagles. It was frustrating watching the guys paid to catch a football. Didn't have a run game because Ryan Mathews is awesome BUT...made of glass. And Sproles isn't a workhorse back. And Smallwood got injured before we knew what he was, so zero run game.

Every time Wentz did some bullshit Russel Wilson/Vick stuff in the backfield to allude rushing defenders and got free and got his feet sat...you just KNEW there wasn't a receiver open EVER.

Please put Agholor, Green-Beckham, and Treggs in a garbage can and roll down the hill please.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

The slowest of draft news days

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/854770975258312704

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Who will be the next Rusty Smith of this draft?????

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

warcrimes posted:

They can't. Ever.

And you should always trade down. If you were to draft the entire 7th round one year, that team would be undefeated for the next 4 years.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

garrett fugazi

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

warcrimes posted:

The real issue is that nobody can reliably tell what college QB *will* improve. Even accounting for how good Dallas is on offense, Dak overachieved HUGELY and nobody saw it coming even a little bit. If Dallas thought he'd play like that, they would have taken him in the 1st round in fear that somebody else would figure it out, too.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Alaois posted:

garrett fugazi

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

hosed up got ammo (another 3rd string QB reject gently caress face that will get put on injured reserve with a phantom injury by home opener) zipped in

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sean10mm posted:

The real issue is that nobody can reliably tell what college QB *will* improve. Even accounting for how good Dallas is on offense, Dak overachieved HUGELY and nobody saw it coming even a little bit. If Dallas thought he'd play like that, they would have taken him in the 1st round in fear that somebody else would figure it out, too.
Here's Brugler on Dak and Hack last year.

He gave Hackenberg a 4th round grade; Prescott a 4-5th round grade. Prescott projects as a better version of Tebow capable of spot-starting.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Here's Brugler on Dak and Hack last year.

He gave Hackenberg a 4th round grade; Prescott a 4-5th round grade. Prescott projects as a better version of Tebow capable of spot-starting.

The funny thing is that if you just go by his descriptions, Dak sounds a million times better than Hack. Which he was - Hack outright looked like loving poo poo, while Dak was at least good at the college level even if he had to improve a lot to succeed as a pro.

But then he gave Dak a lower grade for... some reason? :iiam:

e: The Tebow comparison always seemed dumb to me even at the time. "He's like Tebow, except he runs a lot less, and throws quite a bit more, and his throwing mechanics aren't nearly as busted, and he's smaller, and...uh..."

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 19, 2017

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Because team and draftnik grades are rarely done on production alone?

Otherwise Colt Brennan would have an A++ grade in my heart.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Because team and draftnik grades are rarely done on production alone?

Otherwise Colt Brennan would have an A++ grade in my heart.

Hack was just so lovely in such an obvious way it makes my head hurt.

Pros for Hack: white, quarterback-shaped
Cons: LOL how long have you got

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
All QB are bad forever infinity draft linemen.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'm hoping for a draft thread of nothing but sean10mm talking about Hackenberg and Eagles fans inexplicably writing odes to how great Carson Wentz will be.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm hoping for a draft thread of nothing but sean10mm talking about Hackenberg and Eagles fans inexplicably writing odes to how great Carson Wentz will be.

Hey, YOU brought Hack back into the conversation this time! :v:

Anyway the alternative isn't good football chat, it's a pop tart derail.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

waah posted:

They can't. Ever.

And you should always trade down. If you were to draft the entire 7th round one year, that team would be undefeated for the next 4 years.

Round 1: OG
Round 2: OG
Trade down the rest to 7th rounders. The perfect draft.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If I were a GM without a franchise QB I would just take a whole draft of quarterbacks every season until I found one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Post on Reddit listing all player visits with multiple meetings with the same team.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/662pok/players_with_multiple_meetings_with_the_same_team/

At least 11 pre-draft meetings with QBs. That's not smokescreen.

The Jets seem to value 2nd round picks similar to 7th round picks so if they throw away another 2 on a QB that would pretty much be par for the course. A QB at 6 is an unmitigated disaster.

• Locked thread