Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

That is a perfectly good question, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Get a bank account. You will not have a pocket full of coins for the remainder of the day if you pay with a card.

Coincidentally, the bank is also where you can go if you want to exchange your coins for different coins instead of acting like the cashier at a store is a bank teller.

As a former bank teller, I can confirm that if you go to the bank and ask, we will happily provide you with more quarters than any human being could possibly want.

As long as you come inside. If you ask for a box of change to be sent through the drive-thru, it will not work.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

As a former bank teller, I can confirm that if you go to the bank and ask, we will happily provide you with more quarters than any human being could possibly want.

As long as you come inside. If you ask for a box of change to be sent through the drive-thru, it will not work.

This is pretty much the only reason I ever set foot in my bank any more. I can do everything else I could possibly need to do online (or, worst case scenario, with a phone call), but my apartment's laundry machines are coin-op.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I work in the same business district as my dad, and I'm a huge goon so he drives me to work every day.

Whenever traffic is stopped or even just slow, he'll get very impatient and antsy and start trying to lean out the window to see what's causing the holdup, or ask me to do the same on my side.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but even if you could see what the cause of the traffic was, what does that change anything? There's no way to get off this particular road once we're on it, it's straight until we reach the office. Just take a deep breath, calm down, and accept that this is the speed that traffic is going this morning, drat!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vietnam has no coins and their currency is called dong making it a clear frontrunner for best currency and also I guess my pet peeve is that there aren't more countries that call their money dong so I can make funny jokes like "look at me I have two million dongs in my hand"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Baron Corbyn posted:

Vietnam has no coins and their currency is called dong making it a clear frontrunner for best currency and also I guess my pet peeve is that there aren't more countries that call their money dong so I can make funny jokes like "look at me I have two million dongs in my hand"

Put your dongs where your mouth is lol lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Speaking of youtube video habits: why does every single "vlogger" out there feel the need to have a jump cut every 3 seconds? I get that clips need to be edited together but they seem to go out of the way to use them for "humor". It's never funny though, it's just annoying.

Also every sped-up montage of walking/driving/whatever does not need some lovely techno song playing during it.

I always assumed they can't go 3 seconds without going 'Ummm' or whatever so they just cut them out instead of learning how to talk all goodly-like.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Saint Freak posted:

I always assumed they can't go 3 seconds without going 'Ummm' or whatever so they just cut them out instead of learning how to talk all goodly-like.

That and you don't have to make it all in one shot, just stitch lines together like a verbal quilt.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

When people bother me when I'm working.

If I'm in the middle of a task, I can't just drop it, and you interrupting me every five minutes to talk about stupid bullshit is only going to piss me off, make it take longer for me to get this done, and make me not want to talk to you when I'm done. I'm working, gently caress off.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Is it really so loving hard to put a bin liner in the bin instead of just chucking your filth in there and leaving it for someone else? Like I know there aren't any bags that fit properly right now but you can put a smaller one in and it still works. Wow!

Almost every shift I'm cleaning up poo poo the alleged adults on before me couldn't be bothered with and I hate it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

When people bother me when I'm working.

If I'm in the middle of a task, I can't just drop it, and you interrupting me every five minutes to talk about stupid bullshit is only going to piss me off, make it take longer for me to get this done, and make me not want to talk to you when I'm done. I'm working, gently caress off.

I do casual tech support for my friend's business, and today one of the new hires called me with an issue with the server. I show up, she walks me through what she thinks is happening, and she lets me get to work...and then checks up on me five times in the next half hour.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Insufferable nerds who use the term "overrated". That doesn't actually mean anything!! It's just "I dislike [thing] but can't actually come up with a solid criticism". Learn to make a real loving point in your arguments you dumbasses

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Coming up with solid criticism is overrated

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
People who try to guilt or shame you for having other plans. Like, sorry I'm missing your "let's hang out and drink ourselves silly after the day is over" event, but I have friends in town I rarely see/it's another friend's birthday/I have a volunteer event that takes precedence over your plan to drink mediocre beer in the middle of nowhere.

I love my friends and will usually go out of my way to hang out with them, but it seems like I'm getting double-booked on a weekly basis, and if a work friend wants to get drunk after work, that's fun and all, but I have to be in another city an hour away for a birthday party for a friend I don't see everyday, so please don't get mad at me when I bail on your happy hour. There are four other days this week we can do happy hour; give me a small break for wanting to see another friend on her special day. Similarly, I can't just bail on a lunch meeting with the head of my department to have a long lunch over beers with you, as much as I'd like to.

"My friends from the opposite end of the country are in town" or "it's my friend's birthday" or "I'm out of town that day" for some reason aren't good enough excuses. I feel like I could say "I'm getting chemotherapy that day," and they'd say "naaah, blow it off! Let's go drink beers!"

It's not just one group of friends, either. They all do it. Oddly, it seems like they only really get upset if I blow off their impromptu plans (i.e., random drink-getting after work or after a weekend event). If I have a good reason to miss a birthday party or housewarming or other real event, people seem okay with it.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Maggie Fletcher posted:

People who try to guilt or shame you for having other plans. Like, sorry I'm missing your "let's hang out and drink ourselves silly after the day is over" event, but I have friends in town I rarely see/it's another friend's birthday/I have a volunteer event that takes precedence over your plan to drink mediocre beer in the middle of nowhere.

I love my friends and will usually go out of my way to hang out with them, but it seems like I'm getting double-booked on a weekly basis, and if a work friend wants to get drunk after work, that's fun and all, but I have to be in another city an hour away for a birthday party for a friend I don't see everyday, so please don't get mad at me when I bail on your happy hour. There are four other days this week we can do happy hour; give me a small break for wanting to see another friend on her special day. Similarly, I can't just bail on a lunch meeting with the head of my department to have a long lunch over beers with you, as much as I'd like to.

"My friends from the opposite end of the country are in town" or "it's my friend's birthday" or "I'm out of town that day" for some reason aren't good enough excuses. I feel like I could say "I'm getting chemotherapy that day," and they'd say "naaah, blow it off! Let's go drink beers!"

It's not just one group of friends, either. They all do it. Oddly, it seems like they only really get upset if I blow off their impromptu plans (i.e., random drink-getting after work or after a weekend event). If I have a good reason to miss a birthday party or housewarming or other real event, people seem okay with it.

I feel you on this. My husband's family is like this, even though they live like 20 minutes away and we see them all the time. His sister is forever getting pissed at me for 'bailing' on her when she wants me to play her wingman and get loaded at lovely bar, when I have things to do like...preparing for my thesis defense. Or when I have the flu. It's insane.

This weekend they got all pissy because we were going to be late for their Easter dinner (not even missing it, late!) because we were visiting my 86 year old grandparents, who we maybe see twice a year, in a city 5 hours away. Also my grandparents are actually Catholic, so Easter actually means something more to them than simply being yet another reason to drink your face off. When we finally arrived, I got in more trouble for not drinking with them, despite the fact that I had to work the next morning, was exhausted from travelling, and am trying to stop drinking (we are trying to get pregnant). Fuuuuuck yooooou, husband's family.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People who take an elevator down one floor. It inconveniences other people and often it doesn't even save time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People getting onto the train in front of you and stopping right inside the door so you can't get in. That's pretty annoying.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll raise you people who actually get on the train to say goodbye to their travelling relatives. Almost missed a train once because these bozos blocked the door doing their hugging ceremony, and another time I was prepared to physically restrain someone from pulling the emergency brake when they realized the doors were closing. You do a dumbass thing like that, you better be prepared to make the two hour trip to the next station and back.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I've not run into that myself. I'm just on a daily commute into the city centre and back. But I can see that being exceptionally aggravating.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Insufferable nerds who use the term "overrated". That doesn't actually mean anything!!

It means I think that this thing gets more praise than it deserves, what is nerdy about that?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Maggie Fletcher posted:

People who try to guilt or shame you for having other plans.

"No, I won't be coming" should be a perfectly acceptable response, everyone can gently caress off if they expect an excuse. I know it doesn't work that way :(

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Killingyouguy! posted:

I know beggars can't be choosers, but even if you could see what the cause of the traffic was, what does that change anything? There's no way to get off this particular road once we're on it, it's straight until we reach the office. Just take a deep breath, calm down, and accept that this is the speed that traffic is going this morning, drat!

Has he tried honking? That might speed things up.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

drink ourselves silly
drink mediocre beer
get drunk after work
happy hour
long lunch over beers
"Let's go drink beers!"
random drink-getting

I think your friends may have a problem.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who tell you you need to do somehting while you're doing the thing and also feel the need to tell you a massive amount of bullshit during. My mom's the worst about this, but basically it goes something like this:

Mom: You need to do thing.
Me, doing the thing at that exact moment: Yes, I'm doing it now.
Mom: because if you don't do thing ________
Me: Yes, I know, which is why I'm doing it right now.
Mom, watching me do thing: You need to do it because doing it means that ________

It makes me want to loving scream. I don't, of course, because I love my mom. But goddamn it I want to.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Houses that don't have visible address numbers. IE, the numbers painted on the house are about four inches tall, or a light brown against a tan house. loving hell, making deliveries to places where you can't see, or can barely see, the loving address sucks!

Even better when half of the numbers have fallen off, so 2991 becomes 91.

Or I get a few places that are homes, but have car mechanic shops attached to the back. There is never EVER a loving sign with the business name, despite that name being on every delivery label, so good loving luck finding San Mateo Motors when everything around you are houses.

When you are deeply busy with something, and someone asks "oh, can I help with something?" when (a) they are watching TV/playing a computer game and have no interest in really getting up, (b) they don't have a clue how to help with anything you are doing, and (c) they complain if you do say something. Sure, I am feeding snakes right now, which takes all my attention, but you can, I don't know, sweep the floor? Cue a massive sigh and a "later, when I'm done with this show."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The inverse is pretty annoying too, when you volunteer to help someone with something and they decline, but then they complain that nobody helped them after they're finished.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

People who tell you you need to do somehting while you're doing the thing and also feel the need to tell you a massive amount of bullshit during. My mom's the worst about this, but basically it goes something like this:

Mom: You need to do thing.
Me, doing the thing at that exact moment: Yes, I'm doing it now.
Mom: because if you don't do thing ________
Me: Yes, I know, which is why I'm doing it right now.
Mom, watching me do thing: You need to do it because doing it means that ________

It makes me want to loving scream. I don't, of course, because I love my mom. But goddamn it I want to.

My dad does this. He's also a world-class nag, so he'll nag you about a task 20,909 times and then keep nagging you while you are doing it and also after you're done, because hey! You've done your taxes for this year, but you'll have to do your taxes again next year, so it's never too early to start nagging you about them, kiddo!! What if you forget?? :ohdear:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rabbit Hill posted:

My dad does this. He's also a world-class nag, so he'll nag you about a task 20,909 times and then keep nagging you while you are doing it and also after you're done, because hey! You've done your taxes for this year, but you'll have to do your taxes again next year, so it's never too early to start nagging you about them, kiddo!! What if you forget?? :ohdear:

Dads love talking about taxes

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Rabbit Hill posted:

A nagging dad is both a great username and a painful reality.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

When you are deeply busy with something, and someone asks "oh, can I help with something?" when (a) they are watching TV/playing a computer game and have no interest in really getting up, (b) they don't have a clue how to help with anything you are doing, and (c) they complain if you do say something. Sure, I am feeding snakes right now, which takes all my attention, but you can, I don't know, sweep the floor? Cue a massive sigh and a "later, when I'm done with this show."
The other side of this is you see someone doing something and you ask if they need help, and they just give you some other random task that needs doing at some point but obviously has nothing to do with what they're doing right now. I wasn't looking for something to do, I was asking if you needed help with what you're currently doing. If you need help right now, I'll stop and help you. If you'd like me to sweep the floor, I'll be happy to do that later.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

There was a windows update wherein the audio setting was changed so that if you clicked on a video in your browser, the music playing in another program would drop in volume, but not cease entirely. So you would have a muffled cacophony in your headphones. This will happen even if you have the tab muted so your music volume woukd randomly drop.

I did not ask or ever want for this feature. Honestly I'd rather have updates that feature a dismissable dialogue box list of changes if various settings are changed or added in so at least I'm aware and can utilize the functions. Unless the updates are about security in which case nevermore about thia because that'd just confuse the olds.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Similar to the spontaneous-drink-getting friends, my family seems to have a habit of making plans to do something and only telling me about them the day of, or even hours before. Sometimes the day before, if I'm lucky.

I'll be coming home from work, all ready to stay in and catch up on something or do homework that I've been putting off, and get a call/text-- "Hey, we're all going out for Aunt Mildred's birthday tonight!" (No one has ever told me when Aunt Mildred's birthday is) "Hey, I'm going up to Grandma's-- can you watch the house?" "The cousins want to get together for drinks and chat-- you should go! It sounds fun!" And I always feel like I don't have an excuse because it's not like I HAVE to stay indoors by myself watching Netflix or reading an essay, I just really really want to. Same goes for big holiday gatherings-- we never actually settle on where everyone's meeting up until the day before.

And it's not like I dislike going out with family either-- I'm just never prepared for it because they won't tell me anything ahead of time.

But of course all that sticks is "Aw, Parasol must not like us", or at least that's what my mother has been telling me since I was 9 (and kind of shy around people I only ever saw once every three years, go figure) :argh:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

yo rear end is grass posted:

I think your friends may have a problem.

Seems like it, but not really. It's more like, we're doing a thing--an activity or sport--during the day, and we crack a beer when we're done. It's an open invitation to anyone in the room. Or if it's work friends, it's just regular happy hour. If something else more important comes up, like an important workout or training session, a friend out of town, a birthday or show or special event, I'll blow off the casual "let's get drinks" and go to the special event. But sometimes people get really pissy when you're not available the entire day to do whatever spontaneous thing they dream up (which, let's be real, is usually getting drinks or food).

What really baffles me is that if I'm out of town or busy or whatnot and have to miss their actual event, I get no peer pressure. But if I have to leave an event without the post-event drinks to get to another event, I get static. I have no idea why. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens enough to notice.

Another peeve I got today, which I've mentioned before: "Closer" or that single moms song is not great after hearing it 1000 times on the radio, I don't need to hear you sing along to it under your breath, random lady in the gym locker room.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Dear genie:
1. No photography in art museums unless the exhibit is specifically intended to be photographed. Selfies in front of famous paintings are grounds for immediate expulsion.
2. No discounts for children under 6 at art museums. Toddlers don't care about the art and their strollers just get in everyone's way.
3. You get no more than thirty seconds to take your posed photo in a crowded place.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When people post spoilers for something without actually posting what the spoilers are for outside of the spoiler tags.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
when people edit their posts to add a reply to someone who has posted after them

like this

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

but I don't see it happening so much any more thankfully

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Another peeve I got today, which I've mentioned before: "Closer" or that single moms song is not great after hearing it 1000 times on the radio, I don't need to hear you sing along to it under your breath, random lady in the gym locker room.

The nine inch nails song?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

starkebn posted:

when people edit their posts to add a reply to someone who has posted after them

like this

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

but I don't see it happening so much any more thankfully

When goons edit a post to future-quote (i.e. they quote someone fifteen posts after their initial post). Why? Just quote them again, ffs.

Also, goons who think page sniping needs content, so they edit it so for some dumb reason.

*new page*

quote:

blah blah blah stupid poo poo [EDIT] poo poo, TOP OF THE PAGE!! UUHHH... UHHH... HERE'S A PICTURE OF A COLLAPSED RECTUM WITH HEMORRHOIDS. PHEEEEEWW.

Just... stop. Stop. So your post is at the top of a page. There's no "who gives a flying gently caress?" big enough.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BigFactory posted:

The nine inch nails song?

I'm assuming she's talking about the Chainsmokers but that would be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Spoilers that are scattered throughout a paragraph. Just say what you're talking about and spoil the whole thing.

a huge loving penis but in the next scene a leaking vagina so then it turns out dildos up my rear end and I just wonder why chilidogs and then it ends