Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Clanpot Shake posted:

One weird trick to ensure your build fails for inscrutable reasons years after you leave the company, employers and devs hate it!

:goonsay:

"Guys, I deleted a file named _canary and now builds are failing with an error that says 'canary hash mismatch.' How will we ever discover the cause?!??!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

revmoo posted:

"Guys, I deleted a file named _canary and now builds are failing with an error that says 'canary hash mismatch.' How will we ever discover the cause?!??!"

You are vastly overestimating people's intelligence.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

revmoo posted:

But what's the purpose of that? Just curious, never thought of having such a check in place.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

revmoo posted:

put my entire CI process into shell scripts, depending on Jenkins for just Git, credentials, and artifact generation, and nothing else. A nice bonus is that you can switch CI platforms in an afternoon since all of the build logic lives outside of it.

This is the correct solution, as much as possible. Let CI tools do what CI tools are good at: scheduling builds. Another bonus is that it's easier to debug builds locally.

revmoo posted:

Also, protip; generate a 1mb file, commit it to Git, and then put the md5 of it in your deploy script as a canary. Abort deploys if the hash ever fails to match.

I'm trying to figure out what the point of this would be.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Protip: have your deploy script check the company directory for your name, and abort if it's missing.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

lifg posted:

Protip: have your deploy script check the company directory for your name, and abort if it's missing.

I can see a reason to do that though. A nefarious reason, but a reason. With the canary though ... im missing something.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Biggest thing with Jenkins is use the 2.0 Pipeline build system with a Jenkinsfile that's checked in side-by-side with the code being built.

I had a case of this horrible poo poo where we had Jenkins config in git, the app we were building in git, and the support scripts the entire company used in git. All 3 could float around and trying to recreate an old build was an exercise in futility.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

My problem with a Jenkinsfile is you can't run it locally. So, if you want to modify it, you have to commit and push every little modification of trying something.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Axiem posted:

My problem with a Jenkinsfile is you can't run it locally. So, if you want to modify it, you have to commit and push every little modification of trying something.

We use docker for that

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

revmoo posted:

Also, protip; generate a 1mb file, commit it to Git, and then put the md5 of it in your deploy script as a canary. Abort deploys if the hash ever fails to match.

Why?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

lifg posted:

haha, I like this one.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

revmoo posted:

Perhaps I should have been clearer. The error code, since you wrote it, would easily lead the reader to the cause of the failure. The inscrutable part is why such a check exists in the first place.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Clanpot Shake posted:

Perhaps I should have been clearer. The error code, since you wrote it, would easily lead the reader to the cause of the failure. The inscrutable part is why such a check exists in the first place.

Because there are millions of reasons why a deploy could proceed with a bad build. Having a file to sanity-check against is not dumb or malicious. Several of you are though.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

Because there are millions of reasons why a deploy could proceed with a bad build. Having a file to sanity-check against is not dumb or malicious. Several of you are though.

I put sanity checks in every feature suite

:tinfoil:

its the only way to avoid an AWS skynet

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Just use a non-poo poo CI server like TeamCity, a non-poo poo deployment tool like Octopus Deploy, and 1 or more staging environments, and you don't have to mess around with hand-spun integrity checks.

Tell your companies to stop being cheap and pony up the $1000 for real tools.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

revmoo posted:

what are you sanity checking for? how on earth does this ever fail for a reason that is a problem with your build and not just with your canary ritual?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Oh boy, another day of reverse engineering revmoo's particular use case because of cagey phrasing around a strange behavior wholly without context or justification! Is a "good build" put through any UAT or are we defending against full auto? Who cares, it's irrelevant!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
An old woman is watching the news, and hears that a man is going to the wrong way down the highway. So she calls her husband.

"Revmoo," she says, "I just heard on the news that there's a guy going the wrong way on the highway. Please be careful!"

"One guy going the wrong way," Revmoo replies. "They're *all* going the wrong way!"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
There's a funny bug with old versions of the Jenkins SVN plugin. If you have one particular checkout strategy selected, you would find that Jenkins occasionally duplicates the content of every file. So you'd have a file with public class Foo { ... }, followed immediately in the same file by another public class Foo { ... } definition. Luckily this causes immediate (but absolutely baffling) build failures.

This was fixed in Jenkins 1.470 or so, in mid-2013. How do I know about such an old bug? Take a guess at how maintained our infrastructure is :suicide:

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

redleader posted:

There's a funny bug with old versions of the Jenkins SVN plugin. If you have one particular checkout strategy selected, you would find that Jenkins occasionally duplicates the content of every file. So you'd have a file with public class Foo { ... }, followed immediately in the same file by another public class Foo { ... } definition. Luckily this causes immediate (but absolutely baffling) build failures.

This was fixed in Jenkins 1.470 or so, in mid-2013. How do I know about such an old bug? Take a guess at how maintained our infrastructure is :suicide:

You should see the piece-of-work that is the Perforce plugin.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

B-Nasty posted:

Just use a non-poo poo CI server like TeamCity, a non-poo poo deployment tool like Octopus Deploy, and 1 or more staging environments, and you don't have to mess around with hand-spun integrity checks.

Tell your companies to stop being cheap and pony up the $1000 for real tools.
TeamCity is unusably slow beyond a certain number of build configurations and stored builds, and it sucks poo poo to automate, but it's otherwise a pretty good option for small teams building somewhat infrequently

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

TeamCity is unusably slow beyond a certain number of build configurations and stored builds, and it sucks poo poo to automate, but it's otherwise a pretty good option for small teams building somewhat infrequently

I never found that to be the case, but I always set up multiple build agents on separate boxes and put the server on a capable machine. I can't comment much on automation beyond triggering builds on commits to various branches, because I haven't seen the need.

Jenkins is great for DevOps guys, because there's so little out-of-the-box functionality.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Hughlander posted:

We use docker for that

Just feels like overkill to me, though I can see the value depending on context. I just like sticking with my Makefiles and bash scripts.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Axiem posted:

Just feels like overkill to me, though I can see the value depending on context. I just like sticking with my Makefiles and bash scripts.

Problem there is if QA needs to make a build that by default has debug off but profiling on and targets qa4 for connections but staging for events.

That's a big set of config passed to a script from parameters. And if you need to rebuild a branch from last month before the events were parameterized you need to handle the case where you are getting args that don't make sense.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lifg posted:

An old woman is watching the news, and hears that a man is going to the wrong way down the highway. So she calls her husband.

"Revmoo," she says, "I just heard on the news that there's a guy going the wrong way on the highway. Please be careful!"

"One guy going the wrong way," Revmoo replies. "They're *all* going the wrong way!"
lol this sounds like an eastern European joke

Also, I still don't understand the canary md5 thing but I desperately want to, in excruciating detail

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Problem there is if QA needs to make a build that by default has debug off but profiling on and targets qa4 for connections but staging for events.

That's a big set of config passed to a script from parameters. And if you need to rebuild a branch from last month before the events were parameterized you need to handle the case where you are getting args that don't make sense.

We end up having a separate app we've developed internally to handle general configuration like "what servers are you pointing at". And debug/profiling are done based on which build you want (dev vs. prod, basically).

At your level of complexity, I can see why you'd go the route you do, and can't fault you for it (though I'd still recommend that all Jenkins does is make it easy to specify the config values passed into the script). At smaller levels of projects, that sort of thing can be overkill.

I still stand by "put all the build logic/commands in scripts/Makefiles called by your CI system" :colbert:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

What does everyone value a point as for Agile?

Our pointing system hinges on this. For example we decided that to an existing form, to add one value to save is 3 points. That's our baseline.

That includes DB changes, Mapping changes for Hibernate, Java Beans and the actual "FormSave" class / method that is called. Then every place it is displayed.

Has anyone else done anything similar? Has it skewed pointing, especially in the eyes of management?

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
No advice needed, just want to bitch.

I'm not terribly skilled. Never went to school, wholly self taught, lucked into a development job. Been doing a shitload of reading to offset that.

However, I find myself in the position of being the sole developer working on a multi-million dollar legacy software system. I'm basically the rear guard, during the deployment of v2.0, which has around 30 devs working on it.

There are about three other people in the company that know this software, and I'm strongly discouraged from bothering them for advice, but I am literally the only person who duct tapes this codebase together for 99% of our paying customers.

But hell, a paycheck comes in every two weeks, and most days, I don't even put on pants, so I can't bitch too much, but gently caress, I feel overwhelmed.

Edit: If I'm gonna bitch, might as well get it all out.

The outsourced QA team told me today they don't have time for my software, last time we did in-house QA, a stupid bug I wrote made it through to production, which cost me a weekend. I get stories that rely on dependencies that haven't even been written yet. And since I'm the SME on our only product that anyone is using, I spend a good chunk of my day walking our support department through their own jobs.

Allegedly Allergic fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 20, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Allegedly Allergic posted:

I'm strongly discouraged from bothering them for advice

Jesus Christ. gently caress them. That's a major black flag if I ever saw one.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

geeves posted:

What does everyone value a point as for Agile?

Our pointing system hinges on this. For example we decided that to an existing form, to add one value to save is 3 points. That's our baseline.

That includes DB changes, Mapping changes for Hibernate, Java Beans and the actual "FormSave" class / method that is called. Then every place it is displayed.

Has anyone else done anything similar? Has it skewed pointing, especially in the eyes of management?

Points are arbitrary and indicate relative size. You've decided that 3 points represents something of that level of complexity. Something that's 6 points is more complex than that. Something that's 1 point is less complex than that. I've been preferring non-numeric sizing lately. T-shirt sizes work well. S, M, L, XL, XXL. Anything landing above L is broken down further.

The thing that skews points in the eyes of management is when they try to assign an hour value. If someone says "it seems like 3 points is about 5 hours, so 1 point is equal to about 1.6 hours...", that's when the trouble starts. The next step from there is to say "Okay, so each developer can do 5 points per day, we have 2 week sprints and 3 developers, so that means we should be able to fit 150 points in the sprint!"

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The thing that skews points in the eyes of management is when they try to assign an hour value. If someone says "it seems like 3 points is about 5 hours, so 1 point is equal to about 1.6 hours...", that's when the trouble starts. The next step from there is to say "Okay, so each developer can do 5 points per day, we have 2 week sprints and 3 developers, so that means we should be able to fit 150 points in the sprint!"

Everywhere I've worked has eventually devolved to this. I really want to try something like the t-shirt estimates you mentioned and see if it helps prevent it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

jony neuemonic posted:

Everywhere I've worked has eventually devolved to this. I really want to try something like the t-shirt estimates you mentioned and see if it helps prevent it.

"Each developer can do 2 S, 1 M, or 0.5 L stories in a day..."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Points eventually come to represent something real as the project continues and the team stabilizes. It's very important, however, that management be dissuaded by any means possible, for as long as possible, from reaching the incorrect conclusion that there can exist a mapping from points to time. That way lies Taylorism, perdition, and total project collapse.

The reason managers, both middle and upper, are subject to this temptation is because their jobs are very closely tied to calendars, and they experience anxiety when they do not know when something is going to happen, like a baby who feels distressed and abandoned when their parent's face is hidden for a few seconds.

I think what's harmful is the notion of sprints. By all means have a weekly or biweekly rhythm, and measure the team's velocity across no smaller unit of time than that, but don't formally plan ahead. You'll work on whatever's the highest priority among the things that are ready to be worked on (ideally visualize priority with a queue so it becomes clear that making something the top priority means making everything else lower-priority). Points must never become a commitment, only a retrospective measurement. Prevent the manager from being able to say "How can we increase velocity?" by instead giving them the opportunity to say "Why was velocity low?" - and then one of the roles of a PM is to be the person the manager comes to with that question, and to always have an answer for it. As often as possible, that answer should be one that gives the manager something to do other than micromanage the devs.

That's the ideal, anyway.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We use Pivotal Tracker and it is designed to mostly work like that. Velocity is calculated each week, and the rolling average is used to very roughly schedule future stories into specific weeks, but our current week's work can change on a daily basis as the product owner reprioritizes.

I don't know what this is properly called, to be honest. We call it a sprint but I don't think scrum methodology is supposed to change a sprint after it is planned. So maybe it's really just kan ban?

(And yes, all this Agile terminology is wankery but calling stuff by the wrong name does make you look uninformed.)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
As soon as you are measuring velocity for ANY reason other than sprint planning, your company is no longer doing Agile development.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

smackfu posted:

I don't know what this is properly called, to be honest. We call it a sprint but I don't think scrum methodology is supposed to change a sprint after it is planned. So maybe it's really just kan ban?

Kanban is its own methodology, not just Scrum with less restrictions. You're probably just Doing Agile Wrong, like most companies.

Under Kanban a developer has one (or maybe two or three) name-cards, and you can't assign work to a developer unless they have an empty name-card. If PM and QA are also using Kanban, they'd also have name-cards and you can't take a task out of your card until you're able to hand it off to a QA with an empty card. So the emphasis is on completing individual tasks rapidly and successfully at the expense of overall speed.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mniot posted:

Kanban is its own methodology, not just Scrum with less restrictions. You're probably just Doing Agile Wrong, like most companies.

Under Kanban a developer has one (or maybe two or three) name-cards, and you can't assign work to a developer unless they have an empty name-card. If PM and QA are also using Kanban, they'd also have name-cards and you can't take a task out of your card until you're able to hand it off to a QA with an empty card. So the emphasis is on completing individual tasks rapidly and successfully at the expense of overall speed.

So if the QA queue is full, do I temporarily become QA, or just spin around in my chair until it frees up? Genuine question.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Points are arbitrary and indicate relative size. You've decided that 3 points represents something of that level of complexity. Something that's 6 points is more complex than that. Something that's 1 point is less complex than that. I've been preferring non-numeric sizing lately. T-shirt sizes work well. S, M, L, XL, XXL. Anything landing above L is broken down further.

If the team itself is functional and trying to be Agile that's actually a great thing. Just have them continue to estimate based on complexity. "Man this is really complex and that's 24 points for us." Then as their velocity goes up, the sizing remains the same, and the number of point-stories pulled per sprint is pinned to clock time, they wind up with more time to refactor and fix tech debt!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

raminasi posted:

So if the QA queue is full, do I temporarily become QA, or just spin around in my chair until it frees up? Genuine question.

The goal is to get the work from start to finish. If there's a blockage anywhere you help unblock it. The idea is that value delayed is essential zero value. In your case this could mean helping test a story, it could mean joining someone elses' story that's in progress, but it's about moving things that are in progress to the done state.

Think of it on the opposite end. Is the work "done" if QA hasn't looked at it and it's not released to customers? Are you going to keep pulling more stories or closing out a sprint and start a new one with this backup at QA? Is this something QA is capable of ever catching up or will they be getting further and further behind? What happens when they find a bug in a story you did last sprint but they're just now testing? How do you track that level of rework?

One of our teams currently is working really well with a hybrid approach of Scrum + sprints, but each swimlane has an in progress limit. It leads to far more collaboration than the teams that don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got a request today to put an urgent fix in for some URL validation that wouldn't allow us to specify relative URLs, only absolute ones with HTTPS. All morning, I've been scrambling to put the same fix in five different repos. Finally finished up, pushed them up to a PR and waited for them to build. Artifactory immediately ate poo poo and went down, and it's been down ever since. Tried to reach out to the person in charge of our Artifactory server. Was told he quit. No changes can be merged in or pushed out to production now.

This is my life. :cripes: