Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

astrollinthepork posted:

I have never seen a Hollywood Hogan match outside of what he did the WWF and that was all a long time ago. I'm watching Hogan and Rock from WM X8 right now and as I understand it, Hogan was heel coming into this and Rock was face. Did Hogan start doing the hulkster stuff including hulking up after a rock bottom on the fly due to crowd reaction? poo poo doesn't seem very heelish to me but I don't know how Hollywood wrestled.

*edit*
Okay nevermind I forgot about Nash and Hall doing the run in. They're doing a face turn for Hogan. drat. I thought it would have been rad if Hogan just did the hulkster dtuff because the crowd was cheering him.

Both guys switched on the fly. Canada LOVES WWE's 80's stars and Hogan in particular. He came out to start the show on RAW the next night in Montreal, and they gave him a legit standing O for good long while, a few minutes at least. He was actually choked up, it was a cool moment.

One of the things that bugs me about Hogan is he has this weird tendency to make poo poo up or exaggerate about his accomplishments, and it's like dude, you accomplished plenty, you're either the biggest or 2nd biggest star in the history of industry, this is wholly unnecessary. Yeah, Canek and Harley bodyslammed Andre before you, that doesn't mean you have to act like there was triple the amount of people there compared to the real number, or that Andre was 700 lbs, or any of that poo poo (it's not like those are his only whoppers, either).

Roman Reigns posted:

Meng rules, and I will always mark out for the Tongan Death Grip

Imagine JBL trying to bully Meng or one of Meng's friends, that'd be fun. I mean, not for JBL....

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of the things that bugs me about Hogan is he has this weird tendency to make poo poo up or exaggerate about his accomplishments, and it's like dude, you accomplished plenty, you're either the biggest or 2nd biggest star in the history of industry, this is wholly unnecessary. Yeah, Canek and Harley bodyslammed Andre before you, that doesn't mean you have to act like there was triple the amount of people there compared to the real number, or that Andre was 700 lbs, or any of that poo poo (it's not like those are his only whoppers, either).
Why do people with billions of dollars keep working? You don't get to that point without being an egomaniac who just can't stop.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Why do people with billions of dollars keep working? You don't get to that point without being an egomaniac who just can't stop.

Oh I fully understand why he does it, it just annoys the poo poo out of me. I probably enjoyed Austin embarrassing him a bit when Steve was inducted as much as anybody.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Meng rules but please don't forget Barbarian who also ruled.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Oh I fully understand why he does it, it just annoys the poo poo out of me. I probably enjoyed Austin embarrassing him a bit when Steve was inducted as much as anybody.

Hogan's brain is also likely hosed up from years of drugs and chair shots. Some of the stuff he's making up or exaggerating may be what he genuinely believes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Both guys switched on the fly. Canada LOVES WWE's 80's stars and Hogan in particular. He came out to start the show on RAW the next night in Montreal, and they gave him a legit standing O for good long while, a few minutes at least. He was actually choked up, it was a cool moment.

I went to that show. The Hogan response went so long the main event of the show ended up having to be cut way down. I think it involved Nash and Hall?

Edit: Yeah, Rock/Hogan beat them in 6 minutes by count out.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 19, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Roman Reigns posted:

Hogan''s brain is also likely hosed up from years of drugs and chair shots. Some of the stuff he's making up or exaggerating may be what he genuinely believes.

Hogan is just one of those people who lies all the time. I knew plenty of them in the army and out of it. He's the cook who is also a special forces ranger. He's my family member who always talked about how rich they were, but how all the money was tied up in things elsewhere. He just happens to have achieved more than these people normally do, but that doesn't cut down on their compulsion to lie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Remember that Hogan has a ten inch penis

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Jason Sextro posted:

Lance Storm winning all the undercard titles and giving them Canadian names was a highlight for me

The Canadian flag sticker placed on top of the US title belt owned.

oldpainless posted:

Remember that Hogan has a ten inch penis

yeah but what about terry bollea

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Sandman McMahon posted:

Ernest Miller was pretty cool, but Screaming Norman Smiley was pretty cool too (maybe more?) and also one of my favourite memories from late WCW. What are your favourite memories of late WCW?

Positively Kanyon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64_Ne-k6WX0

Who betta?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kanyon's montage of Diamond Cutters out of nowhere is legit one of the best things to come out of WCW. Orton can only wish he was as prolific with the RKO. I don't see him hitting the RKO on cameramen during interviews and random people outside of arenas. That poo poo was the best.

One of the things that bugs me about Hogan is he has this weird tendency to make poo poo up or exaggerate about his accomplishments, and it's like dude, you accomplished plenty, you're either the biggest or 2nd biggest star in the history of industry, this is wholly unnecessary.
I would argue that The Rock has far surpassed him by a wide margin. Hogan was part of the general 80s zeitgeist, sure, but as a crossover star anything he did in the media beyond wrestling sucked, while The Rock's success is almost universal. I guess it depends what you mean by 'biggest star' though. Within the industry only, Hogan is probably seen as more iconic, but as a celebrity in general, The Rock is way beyond it by now.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

in the context of wrestling bruno sammartino was bigger than both hogan and rock.

outside of wrestling it's the rock and it isn't even close

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Who is #2 in mainstream success coming from wrestling besides the Rock? It's such a steep drop-off from there. Hogan was "visible" in the 1980s but it was all pure garbo and peaked with what, his Rocky III cameo?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Batista.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ostentatious posted:

in the context of wrestling bruno sammartino was bigger than both hogan and rock.

where does Ric Flair fit in?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Venomous posted:

where does Ric Flair fit in?

Best wrestler/top 3 draw of the 80's?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sean10mm posted:

I was irrationally happy to just discover that Meng isn't dead. I just sort of assumed he would be, because wrestler, but he's not! :unsmith:

Not only is he alive, but he's getting given big trucks by The Rock because he's Meng so why not!

Yeah it's gotta be, Guardians, the last Bond film and he's gonna be in the new Blade Runner. Everybody seems to love him too :)

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Was the Nash/Hall run in called on the fly too?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The Rock right now has a reputation of being able to revive moribund movie series (Fast & Furious went from being "just for gearheads circa 2002" to action-movie events) and has something people in Hollywood thought was dead: star power. Attach his name to a movie and all of a sudden it gets buzz and pops a number opening weekend. No wrestlers and only a handful of actors (think Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, etc.) can say they have done that.

sean10mm posted:

Who is #2 in mainstream success coming from wrestling besides the Rock? It's such a steep drop-off from there. Hogan was "visible" in the 1980s but it was all pure garbo and peaked with what, his Rocky III cameo?

It's very steep; maybe Stone Cold because he constantly gets work in low-budget DTV action flicks and had a prominent role in the first Expendables film.

Batista is another one but Stone Cold was absolutely more successful than him in wrestling and both have a library of low-budget DTV action flicks with Guardians of the Galaxy being Batista lone thing over Austin.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 20, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's an Avenger.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

astrollinthepork posted:

Was the Nash/Hall run in called on the fly too?

Not exactly: I believe the idea was that Hogan was always meant to lose and get turned on, but rather than running in and turning on him for not getting the job done (which I believe was the original plan), it ended up being more that he was turned on for showing respect to the Rock as well as giving a poo poo what the fans think once more (even though the nWo used to pander relentlessly, but that's neither here nor there).

Incidentally, when I ranked Hogan 2nd I was referring to the megastardom that Austin enjoyed from '97 until around 2001 or so. I feel Steve's level of mainstream acceptance was equal or greater to Hogan's in part because mass media had grown so much from the time Hogan was WWE champion compared to Steve's prime. I'd be willing to hear an argument for the Rock, though.

I'd actually like to hear who other people feel was the bigger star: Hogan? Austin? Rock? Duane Gill?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 20, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

Batista is another one but Stone Cold was absolutely more successful than him in wrestling and both have a library of low-budget DTV action flicks with Guardians of the Galaxy being Batista lone thing over Austin.

Guardians of the Galaxy alone is bigger than wrestling, tbh.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Can you buy Evolve VOD? How? I've been on the WWN site for like 15 minutes and it honestly feels like they don't want my money.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

remusclaw posted:

Best wrestler/top 3 draw of the 80's?

Fair. Wasn't a chance that he was bigger than Sammartino then. Cool.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Venomous posted:

Fair. Wasn't a chance that he was bigger than Sammartino then. Cool.

You know, I was thinking Sammartino when I wrote that, but I'm not sure he was that big a draw when the 80's rolled around. He lost the Title for the last time in 77. So Flair may be #2.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Captain Magic posted:

Can you buy Evolve VOD? How? I've been on the WWN site for like 15 minutes and it honestly feels like they don't want my money.

The short answer is no. I think you still can through their roku/fire tv apps but when they overhauled their website to an even slower and more obtuse one after the move to floslam they took down the VOD archive under the assumption that flo would have their entire back catalog up by the new year like they said they would (they still haven't)

the good news: You can still access your old purchases through My Account on the wwnlive website if you have any. Evolve 3, 4, 45, 47, 55, 56, and 68-81 are all up on floslam and a one month subscription costs as much as 1.5 old VODs did so if those are the shows you're looking for its no big deal.

the bad news: its been forever since they added one of the older shows to the archive and they've offered zero timetable as to when they'll get back on that

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Justin Godscock posted:

The Rock right now has a reputation of being able to revive moribund movie series (Fast & Furious went from being "just for gearheads circa 2002" to action-movie events) and has something people in Hollywood thought was dead: star power. Attach his name to a movie and all of a sudden it gets buzz and pops a number opening weekend. No wrestlers and only a handful of actors (think Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, etc.) can say they have done that.

It's very steep; maybe Stone Cold because he constantly gets work in low-budget DTV action flicks and had a prominent role in the first Expendables film.

Guardians made a bajillion dollars and he was also in the last Bond movie

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The correct answer is Andre, because Fezzik is the best character a wrestler has ever portrayed. Also because nothing says mainstream success like the intersection between ridiculous drinking stories and universal acclaim for your generosity and kindness.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Paracaidas posted:

The correct answer is Andre, because Fezzik is the best character a wrestler has ever portrayed. Also because nothing says mainstream success like the intersection between ridiculous drinking stories and universal acclaim for your generosity and kindness.

You definitely aren't talking about Andre then.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

probably one of the most famous wrestlers of all time is the Road Dogg. and don't forget the second hulk hogan from wCw, "Hollywood."

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

oatgan posted:

The short answer is no. I think you still can through their roku/fire tv apps but when they overhauled their website to an even slower and more obtuse one after the move to floslam they took down the VOD archive under the assumption that flo would have their entire back catalog up by the new year like they said they would (they still haven't)

the good news: You can still access your old purchases through My Account on the wwnlive website if you have any. Evolve 3, 4, 45, 47, 55, 56, and 68-81 are all up on floslam and a one month subscription costs as much as 1.5 old VODs did so if those are the shows you're looking for its no big deal.

the bad news: its been forever since they added one of the older shows to the archive and they've offered zero timetable as to when they'll get back on that

Ah, lame. Thanks for letting me know, though. At least now I don't have to get back on that website for a while.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

You definitely aren't talking about Andre then.

exactly everyone knows jarko grimwood is the best character a wrestler has ever portrayed

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Guardians made a bajillion dollars and he was also in the last Bond movie

He's also in a movie that will easily be one of the biggest of the year. And then there's the Avengers thing next summer. And then there's the other Avengers thing the summer after that. Guardians 3 not long after that. And that's only counting the poo poo he's doing for Marvel.

So yeah, I'd say Dave Bautista is set to take that number 2 spot behind D.T.R. Johnson pretty comfortably.

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 20, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If we're just talking about American wrestlers, Hulk Hogan was a way, way bigger deal in the overall culture than Batista is as a character in a movie franchise and it's not close. Austin was even bigger than Hogan's peak but just for a three year period. I love Batista but, come on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, but Hogan was known for being a wrestler.

The Rock and Batista's success are as actors.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hogan was kind of a regular mainstream icon to a degree though. Like being on MTV or commercials or whatever else. Even though it was "he's the famous wrestler", it was in a mainstream way. I have no clue how to compare that to a substantial part in a few blockbuster movies and won't even try, but I will say this: a hot dog is a sandwich

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but Hogan was known for being a wrestler.

The Rock and Batista's success are as actors.

He's one of the most successful wrestlers ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What I mean is that Hulk Hogan was always "Hulk Hogan, the WWF wrestler, as..."

Yes in a different way because of the era, but he was a casting gimmick.

The Rock certainly owes wrestling for getting his start in Hollywood, but he got to where he is by being an incredibly enjoyable actor, not because people remembered This Is Your Life.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
So my two favorite wrestlers are Asuka and Nakamura atm. Neither can cut an english promo to save their lives. Is there any chance of an actual, meaningful push for either of them on the main roster? Being old certainly doesn't help either one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nakamura's English is okay though. Look at his first promo against Aries, for instance. He had a nice sense of timing there. That said, I'm pretty sure Ziggler will do the heavy lifting on that end of the feud, whereas Nakamura will say a few things at the end that really pop the crowd before Kinshasaing the poo poo out of him.

Asuka? Eh. Asuka just needs to be pushed as a silent killer. I dunno how that'll get over, but it's what they need to do.