Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yes the nerds who play Warhammer in 2017 have played chess because they are nerds and chess is basically the first serious game that every person has learned for thousands of years.

My anecdotal evidence is that I'm a teacher.

And I'm just saying if your argument is that people familiar with turn based video games would be confused by an initiative order in 2017 then I'm genuinely curious what turn based video games you're playing.

And I do post about other games. I'm just not terrified of discussing their flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Alternating activations is a cool and good idea. It generally makes games more interactive and engaging.

They should have implemented it in AoS. However, since GW has the best models currently, with a decent rules set ... here I am.

Game question: are Khorgoraths worth fielding now that their claws do 2 damage? I like the model, so I bought two. I see myself ending up with Skulltake and 6 of them if I am not careful. (Skulltake gives their claws 8 attacks while within 6" of their Skullreaper buddies.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Games Workshop makes the best models to play Sigmarines or Bloodbound in Age of Sigmar.

I'm not sure where "decent rules" comes from.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Games Workshop makes the best models to play Sigmarines or Bloodbound in Age of Sigmar.

I'm not sure where "decent rules" comes from.

Other game companies :rimshot:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
X-Wing has initiative-based activations and is by far the most popular miniatures game on the market so maybe it's not as hard an idea to grasp as GWers seem to think

Pawl posted:

It's all a moot point anyway. AOS is designed this way, if you don't like it because of fundamental designs then go find a game you like and post about that instead

nope, this is in fact the thread for people to use if they want to talk about the fundamental design of age of sigmar

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Tbh I think it's over complicating it to work in a initiative system for activation order.

Just a basic, you choose a unit to move, now I choose one to move. Right all moved, now it's shooting phase, you choose a unit to shoot etc. Melee combat could then be done the same way, or just done on who charged gets to roll attacks first.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Serotonin posted:

Tbh I think it's over complicating it to work in a initiative system for activation order.

Just a basic, you choose a unit to move, now I choose one to move. Right all moved, now it's shooting phase, you choose a unit to shoot etc. Melee combat could then be done the same way, or just done on who charged gets to roll attacks first.

It depends entirely on design philosophy. Sometimes it makes more sense to do it one way and sometimes it makes more sense to do it another. And not every game gets its rules to match its underlying philosophy. I think critics and fans of Age of Sigmar alike can agree that there doesn't seem to be a deeper design philosophy than, "It must fit on four pages," and the studio worked with that as best as they were capable.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I really do believe it will emerge over time though. GW just got out of their time machine from the early 90's, there will be an adjustment period while they catch up with the world of tomorrow.

Not saying what they are doing rules wise is good/bad or whatever. Just that it makes some semblance of sense from their standpoint, there is a reasoning behind it, it's mot just so they can start arguments on the internet.

I do hear younger people buy GW products, but I work at the largest games store in the state and the age range for GW sales is not remotely "kids", 95% of it is purchased by people over 20 for themselves. Pretty much the same from our friends that run stores in other states around us to that we travel to for events and such. This is anecdotal, but it is informed.

I also work on pokemon night, and ya, young people know poo poo all about chess, checkers, and the more traditional board games, they just were not raised with them. Ya its not all kids, but it is the ones who are in a place that would have any visibility of a GW game. If you have children that never go to a game store, or have someone in their life that is already into wargaming, where are they going to get exposed to such things.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

berzerkmonkey posted:

I started looking through the AoS BRB, and what the gently caress. Granted, I'm only about 20 pages in, and a lot of those are just art, but it's like I'm coming in on book two of a series. I am very familiar with the old WFB lore, as well as 40K, and this AoS book appears to be "just take what you already know about 40K and replace certain parts with this!" There doesn't appear to be any world building or attempt to explain anything.

I would have been happy with "Once, there was the Old World. It is long gone, having been destroyed by the forces of Chaos, and much has changed. Over millennia, the forces of Sigmar have been in a fighting retreat, but are now prepared to push back against the tide of darkness..."

Bam. Justification of why everything is different and why names have changed. But so far, nothing, and it is very frustrating. Does it get any better or am I wasting my time reading this book for background?

While the rules have grown on me. The setting still is not all that great.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

That's a rat.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

While the rules have grown on me. The setting still is not all that great.

I decided to take a look at the "Reader's Digest" version at 1d4 Chan, and, Jesus, this is painful. It's not even the writing that's the issue - it's the fact that the GW lore makes zero sense and is just terrible. If any game company came out with this as the background for their game system, it would have died on the vine. GW only got a pass because they rolled WFB into it.

I really did have the urge to try AoS a few days ago, mostly based on the excitement Tyler Mengel had for his TKs and his unofficial TK Battletome. That urge has completely fled now - this background is so unengaging I just cannot will myself to be interested. I suppose it's better this way, since none of my group plays AoS anyway...

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

That's a rat.

Now we are talking, I am currently rebasing 300 skaven.....it is not a fun process. But man it would be nice for a reward at the end of it all :)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
C'mon real Skaven clanbooks and updated models!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mr.Booger posted:

Now we are talking, I am currently rebasing 300 skaven.....it is not a fun process. But man it would be nice for a reward at the end of it all :)

It's going to be a Star Player for BB. Hakflem Skuttlespike, maybe.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Eh, I'll take it, sure I could make it into something

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
You guys got any Jezzail kitbash recs that aren't veermin?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

mango sentinel posted:

You guys got any Jezzail kitbash recs that aren't veermin?

I have searched high and low for one. They all look bad to mediocre and take a ton of effort

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I have a bunch of the old and new ones, so haven't had to, but if I did I would look for maybe pike and shotte era minis, they would have long/large arquebus style guns that would probably work.

I know some companies make weapon packs, like so:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Freebooter-ZUB009-Imperial-Arquebus-8-Conversion-Bits-Handgun-Firearm-Weapon-/380893427178

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
The real trouble is that most of the skaven models have their left arms molded into their bodies. They are very hard to convert :sigh:

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
true, unless you want to use the old monkey arms....ugh. Maybe the stormvermin kit would work?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I have searched high and low for one. They all look bad to mediocre and take a ton of effort
I'm thinking of taking some Empire riflemen and smooshing them with Clanrats or Stormvermin.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
A better place to start would be the crew from the plague catapult, they have both arms separate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-BIN-BITS-SKAVEN-WARP-LIGHTNING-CANNON-CREW-/361532928768?hash=item542d0ab300:g:mVMAAOSwJQdXDOUo

But they're like $8...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Pawl posted:

It's all a moot point anyway. AOS is designed this way, if you don't like it because of fundamental designs then go find a game you like and post about that instead

dont pull this poo poo in my beautiful thread, tia

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Kroot arms are actually really good for converting Jezzails, they have those long rear end rifles.

I've seen people use the guns from the basic mechanicus troops as well, Skaven and weird technological stuff works well

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Shat is a good call on the Skitarii guns, they literally have jezzails, and a mechanical arm isn't out of place really (I have conversion with the old pit fighter arms from necromunda in my army and they look right at home.)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I like Skitarii idea and the transuranic arquebus seems perfect except there's one per box...

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
There is Big News coming tomorrow and lots of people think this will be an official 2nd edition of AOS or an unveiling of GHB vol2

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pawl posted:

There is Big News coming tomorrow and lots of people think this will be an official 2nd edition of AOS or an unveiling of GHB vol2

GW stated that they won't be doing numbered editions of AoS. Supposedly, there will just be yearly/incremental updates. As for GHB 2, it hasn't been a year on the first one, and GW just talked to the Adepticon AoS community regarding their thoughts on the game. I say it's a bit early for vol 2 yet, though I could be wrong.

I'm leaning toward 8th ed 40K being announced, since they haven't officially done that outside of the Adepticon event.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
They announced months ago that GHB2 is already in the works. They showed off a few changes already (Tomb Kings, Fyreslayers, a few other models) and theyre testing the changes at SCGT this weekend. The last one is especially important because SCGT is the independent tournament circuit that they based the AOS point system from. The WarhammerTV crew is out there this weekend, too.

GHB2 will probably be out this summer, officially announcing it at the end of April isn't far-fetched.

All signs point to GHB2 tomorrow.

40k 8th ed is also coming, but it would be weird if they announced it during the biggest AOS tournament of the year. It makes more sense to stagger those announcements and releases so you dont cannibalize your own customer base.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pawl posted:

40k 8th ed is also coming, but it would be weird if they announced it during the biggest AOS tournament of the year. It makes more sense to stagger those announcements and releases so you dont cannibalize your own customer base.
Ah, I didn't realize they were having an AoS tourney. That makes sense then.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Likely Generals Handbook 2.

I really hope they have the balls to change the basic Age of Sigmar rules to suck less.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gotten any reveals here or was it just 40 k stuff.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Age of 40k is all i have heard.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gotten any reveals here or was it just 40 k stuff.

40k new edition, looks to be taking some stuff from Sigmar.

Probably hear some stuff about the Handbook in a week or so, heard through the grapevine they'll be looking at the results and feedback from this weekend's tourny.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Skeletons: the image dump.
Finished up the squads and tomb king I was working on. Took some pictures today.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Those are really sharp. I'm loving the white shields, it's a solid accent.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. I did a similar color scheme on my tomb kings but I did aquamarine/red/gold for the shields too, and I think your white scheme looks better.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Woah nice I had not seen the archer models before those are really cool and that whole set looks INCREDIBLY clean. Great job!

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. I did a similar color scheme on my tomb kings but I did aquamarine/red/gold for the shields too, and I think your white scheme looks better.

Man, I'd love to see some pictures of those.

Ps. Did up some lore for my King's Necropolis:

The Necropolis of King Ahomtep is one of wonder and no fixed point. Placed upon the floating desert spire known and the Spear Kahtep, its largess and glimmering towers are known to slacken the jaw of even the most hardened Duardin. It's Pyramids, obelisks and streets woven into the great rock's surface, busy with activity.

It is known to mostly drift between the edges of the Sour Sea and the Carrion Isles, but it has been spotted near the bastion of Bétone. The great spire blotting out the sun as it passes. Only the liche priests of The Spear truly understand how it traverses the deserts wind.

edit; a helpful map.

Horace-Noah fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Woah nice I had not seen the archer models before those are really cool and that whole set looks INCREDIBLY clean. Great job!

Thanks! The main impetus for doing them up was a Mengel Minis contest: http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2017/03/the-unofficial-tomb-kings-battletome_27.html?m=1#more

• Locked thread