Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
like to expand, having political leaders actually have to discuss their ideas, philosophy and put it in context of Britain today is really important imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JFairfax posted:

it's loving appalling that May isn't taking part in them.

no they're actually cool and good and should be longer and more of them

I don't think its appalling I think it's a smart move.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

like to expand, having political leaders actually have to discuss their ideas, philosophy and put it in context of Britain today is really important imho

Like in the US presidential debates ?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

JFairfax posted:

No, all we need is to know that anybody who disagrees with may is a traitor and to vote tory. All heil God empress may

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
if may can't best renowned 'shite public speaker' jeremy corbyn in a debate then she has no busienss fighting this election

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TheRat posted:

Something something horse shoe theory

it's more accurate than you think, because both left and right extremism run into the problem of having to deal with the 95% of people who are not ideologically pure enough, meaning both will never reach their respective official end goals but instead get stuck at a very similar stage of throwing people into camps until they fail

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is being a frenzied demagogue a desirable trait when addressing the masses?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

JFairfax posted:

it's loving appalling that May isn't taking part in them.

no they're actually cool and good and should be longer and more of them

They're poo poo. loving fake presidential nonsense

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gum posted:

Did they surround the trade unionists and prevent them from leaving?

quote:

The report claimed that the tactics used by union-busters are designed to frighten and intimidate workers away from any union attempt to recruit them at work. Consultants hired by employers in the US warn the workforce that the union will start harassing them in their homes, risk their job security, and cause them a loss of earnings and benefits. Employees are also given company leaflets warning them that if they join the union they are likely to be permanently on strike.

The Burke Group has worked in the UK for eight years and been responsible for the exclusion of unions from a number of companies including Kettle Chips and T-Mobile. It is currently working for Cable & Wireless, the telecommunications company, which is seeking to thwart the efforts of the Communications Workers Union to win recognition for 370 field engineers.
No they just casually hint that unionisation might possibly lead to people losing their jobs.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/854789714905366528

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pochoclo posted:

Say what you will about flaps, he's still a better candidate for PM than pretty much any politician except for Corbyn and Don't Know.

A recent poll actually found that Pissflaps is the preferred choice for Labour leader. Although the lack of "don't know" among the options may have skewed results.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TV debates are a good opportunity for the underdog, and a risk for the popular candidate/incumbent. That means in this particular scenario they are a good thing and we should have more of them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
It would be hilarious if, after the Brexit campaign got lost by a Tory PM overconfidently assuming it was impossible to lose and putting in virtually no effort to placate people within his own party and avoid negative exposure for himself, the next Tory PM loses by assuming it's impossible to lose and putting in no effort to etc etc.

I mean, I don't think it's likely, but it'd be really funny.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm afraid that Brexit is Corbyn's fault, the Tories are actually the party of competent leadership.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

blowfish posted:

it's more accurate than you think, because both left and right extremism run into the problem of having to deal with the 95% of people who are not ideologically pure enough, meaning both will never reach their respective official end goals but instead get stuck at a very similar stage of throwing people into camps until they fail

I was trying to find a jokey take on the dumb horse shoe theory that someone posted on Twitter months ago, but instead I've found myself wading through reams of insane shite. People who talk about Horse Shoe Theory sincerely on Twitter are loving unhinged. There's one poster, a furry propertarian (because of course he is), who can't tweet about anything else.

Anyway, gently caress you for making me look up that for the sake of a weak joke. I mean, it's totally my own fault but I don't want to accept responsibility

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Brexiteers, 10 years from now: "I never wanted Brexit - it was all the liberal luvvies that were clamoring for it." or "They didn't do it properly / hard enough! They betrayed us!"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

For anyone who still watches terrestrial TV, 'Confessions of a Junior Doctor' is a series starting on Channel 4 tonight and it's basically one long party political broadcast for Labour.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

blowfish posted:

Nah. Only those consciously trying to destroy a leftwing system should have to worry about that sort of thing, leftwing purity is belief in a form of process which can be changed, not the persons being which can't. Also USA incarceration rate is 743 per 100,000 while Stalins was estimated at 800 so depending where you put the USA, centrism can easily fall into 'putting people into camps until they fail' as well.

forkboy84 posted:

I was trying to find a jokey take on the dumb horse shoe theory that someone posted on Twitter months ago, but instead I've found myself wading through reams of insane shite. People who talk about Horse Shoe Theory sincerely on Twitter are loving unhinged. There's one poster, a furry propertarian (because of course he is), who can't tweet about anything else.

Anyway, gently caress you for making me look up that for the sake of a weak joke. I mean, it's totally my own fault but I don't want to accept responsibility

I think CSPAM has collected a few of the funny horseshoe images in the picture thread, maybe check there?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

Sort of agree. They work in the context of a presidential system but ours is obviously not that. That said, we've moved away from government by cabinet so I don't think they are that terrible, and they do serve a purpose.

Honestly, the worst part is they are just loving depressing. It's like watching Question Time but instead of a backbencher & a minor cabinet member & Kelvin Mackenzie, it's the leaders of all the major parties. End result is the same.

But if it's a chance of May looking bad? gently caress it, do it. Need every little bit of held we can get.

namesake posted:

Nah. Only those consciously trying to destroy a leftwing system should have to worry about that sort of thing, leftwing purity is belief in a form of process which can be changed, not the persons being which can't. Also USA incarceration rate is 743 per 100,000 while Stalins was estimated at 800 so depending where you put the USA, centrism can easily fall into 'putting people into camps until they fail' as well.

I think CSPAM has collected a few of the funny horseshoe images in the picture thread, maybe check there?

Actually found it but it wasn't as funny as I remembered. But it did have the general gist of Communism in the middle & Liberalism & Conservatism as the 2 extremes, with Fascism magically floating in between, & explanations why. Mostly it was good for mocking the idea rather than anything else.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 19, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Debates should happen between leaders because if they can't stand behind a podium for and hour and a half, speaking for maybe half an hour of that answering fairly obvious questions about current political issues and dealing with the best criticisms that their opposition in the HoP can offer then they're likely to be extremely poor leaders in a political and organisational sense.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cerv posted:

I think if the format was a little looser and a little longer it could be really interesting, especially as I dont think members of the various parties actually really debate stuff all that often.

potentially it would be interesting to see where the was common ground between parties and try to move towards a more co-operative form of governance.

but I am a hopeless idealist sometimes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blowfish posted:

it's more accurate than you think, because both left and right extremism run into the problem of having to deal with the 95% of people who are not ideologically pure enough

I feel the need to point out that the right-wing has near consistently had more of a problem with 95% of people not being genetically pure enough

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Doesnt corbyn get to debate may literally every single week on tv?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Hmmmmmmmmm, is there a difference between on at midday on a work day and primetime? Gosh, I just don't know what it might be.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Read an article from The Independent that Corbyn is going to retain power (or at least thinks he is) if they go down in embarrassing defeat. Surely the universe can't be that hilarious.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Hmmmmmmmmm, is there a difference between on at midday on a work day and primetime? Gosh, I just don't know what it might be.

Not to mention that May literally has her answers scripted for her, is under zero obligation to answer the question asked, and is backed up by a few hundred braying groupies. Oh, and the whole thing is watched by very few people and only delivered to the public through biased newspaper 'verdicts' about who had the best sick burn.

Arkane posted:

Read an article from The Independent that Corbyn is going to retain power (or at least thinks he is) if they go down in embarrassing defeat. Surely the universe can't be that hilarious.

The fewer MP's Labour has, and the more of the old guard that refuse to stand again, the easier it will be for a left-winger to run for leader even if the rules don't change. There's always a silver lining.

jabby fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 19, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

prime minister's questions is not really a debate in any meaningful sense

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

jabby posted:

Not to mention that May literally has her answers scripted for her, is under zero obligation to answer the question asked, and is backed up by a few hundred braying groupies. Oh, and the whole thing is watched by very few people and only delivered to the public through biased newspaper 'verdicts' about who had the best sick burn.

So pretty much exactly like the leaders' debates, then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

What's your fave Walkers crisp flavour lads?

Worcester sauce for me

Proclaiming their Britishness loudly and in the UKIP colours. Up against the wall, motherfucker.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

So pretty much exactly like the leaders' debates, then.

They tended to boost Miliband and Sturgeon in popularity, though. Something Captain Unpopular could rather do with, and that he tended to do during "undecided" audiences during leadership debates.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i think if the leaders debates were 2 hours long or more and they had the opportunity to speak for longer (also reduces likelyhood of everything being scripted) then the debates would be much more productive.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

forkboy84 posted:

a furry propertarian (because of course he is)

Furrys in general are unhinged

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JFairfax posted:

i think if the leaders debates were 2 hours long or more and they had the opportunity to speak for longer (also reduces likelyhood of everything being scripted) then the debates would be much more productive.

Like I've said tho May can't even stick to the script for simple questions, she literally shits herself at the first sign of a full sentence that isn't a soundbite.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

JFairfax posted:

You know people will be moaning if they take off the Soaps for the Debates like they do for the footie

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You know people will be moaning if they take off the Soaps for the Debates like they do for the footie

Have 'em arguing in the background at the Queen Vic imo.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Jedit posted:

Proclaiming their Britishness loudly and in the UKIP colours. Up against the wall, motherfucker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/854802665116717056

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JFairfax posted:

prime minister's questions is not really a debate in any meaningful sense

Are tv political leaders' debates though?

Memories of Ed Milliband's big googly eyes staring insanely into the camera and addressing the audience at home in 2015 swirl through my head.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 19, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Furrys in general are unhinged

Furries are funny but harmless (so long as they aren't one of the ones that fucks actual animals). Propertarians? Also hilarious, and while unlikely to ever actually put their deranged ideas in power because they are all total loving dorks who just yell about the NAP when someone kicks them in their balls, still far worse than being a furry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Has anyone noticed that Theresa May looks really evil?

• Locked thread