Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Try more like a chapter of crusading knights or something.

Satria Udara Diraja - literally Royal Air Knights.

Malay doesn't use Sultan as an adjective, they will use Diraja (royalty) if it's an adjective. If you want to show belonging then it can be (name of group) (name of sultan it belongs to) - ie. Satria Udara Sultan Yooper - lit Sultan Yooper's Knights of the Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

MrYenko posted:

The 2011 earthquake/tsunami submerged thirteen of them, and they wrote five off completely.

They're a manufacturer backed PMC so I think they can get them right off the assembly line.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Triple A posted:

They're a manufacturer backed PMC so I think they can get them right off the assembly line.

Production ended in 2011 and to restart it so your mercenary company can get a couple of new fighters is going to be looked at rather poorly not only by the Japanese Diet but also by the US Congress, given that a lot of stuff on the Viper zero comes from US suppliers.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soup Inspector posted:

:vince:

Just when I thought this LP couldn't impress me any more. :five:

I've got a hunch that the Japanese PMC will sign on with the dictator - since if I recall correctly he's the one with the big bucks right now he could easily cough up the cash for an expensive outfit like them (particularly since he might be seen as a more reliable employer than the Free State).

I think that our first priority should be to knock out the weaker PMC (i.e. the Sultan's forces) - with them out of the road we can more easily focus on our other opponent. Of course, we should also keep in mind the potential for these PMCs to not just duke it out with us but also to tangle with one another. I have no idea how we could do it, but perhaps it might be worth trying to get them to focus on each other rather than us?

I also quite like the backstory Yvonmukluk wrote up. Good job!

Aw, shucks. Pike is probably either doing his best to help out the ground based ops at present or dallying in humanitarian aid. That or flicking through his collection of books his pal kept sending to him over the years. He's currently midway through Waymarks.

I think my request for a dude got lost in the shuffle, though. Yooper, I'd like to fly a support plane (no real preference). Callsign Pike.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I would also like to request an EWAR plane if at all possible, and if not just put me anywhere. Hell, I'll man the SAMs if I have to. Callsign Waldo

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Quinntan posted:

Production ended in 2011 and to restart it so your mercenary company can get a couple of new fighters is going to be looked at rather poorly not only by the Japanese Diet but also by the US Congress, given that a lot of stuff on the Viper zero comes from US suppliers.

I don't think they care about it that much, especially since the political situation is rather unstable now and at least in this universe, the JSDF are expanding and getting more authority to do what they want. I'm fairly certain they've reverse-engineered everything inside them so they can pretty much produce every part of them if necessary.

Also, the X-2 isn't ready yet.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Triple A posted:

I don't think they care about it that much, especially since the political situation is rather unstable now and at least in this universe, the JSDF are expanding and getting more authority to do what they want. I'm fairly certain they've reverse-engineered everything inside them so they can pretty much produce every part of them if necessary.

Also, the X-2 isn't ready yet.

I doubt that. Jet turbine production is exceptionally difficult, even for just an airliner. Fighter engine production is even more challenging.

There are other factors too, shutting down a production line only to spin it back up again is a nightmarish job to do. Even in the case of the F-22, where all the tooling is preserved, it'd cost billions to resume production. Doing so for the F-2, especially when the company is trying to move on to the X-2, would probably cost more as that tooling is likely gone.

Mitsubishi right now is probably busy producing MRJs, OH-1s and bits of 787s, along with the X-2 program. Finding the production capacity for the F-2 would be a task all of its own.

The most likely thing to happen, should SMARF decide to double down, is they will get their hands on either F-15Js or more Korean F-16s.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Few more hours and I'm calling the AirBase vote closed. Then it'll be operative time.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Engines won't be an issue since there already exists a very capable manufacturer of them in Japan and secondly, I'm quite certain that the Japanese government is very concerned about an actual no-bullshit war especially when that Tac-Nuke hit the Chinese staging area.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Triple A posted:

Engines won't be an issue since there already exists a very capable manufacturer of them in Japan and secondly, I'm quite certain that the Japanese government is very concerned about an actual no-bullshit war especially when that Tac-Nuke hit the Chinese staging area.

I wouldn't actually go so far as to say that. The F-2 is a fairly new aircraft (produced from 2000 to 2011) and fresh from modernisation in 2018. The JASDF has traditionally tried to stretch the service life of aircraft as far as it could, so the fact that a pair of their most advanced domestic production aircraft (MHI is also building F-35s during this period) are in the hands of a PMC would make one think that the JASDF is rather reduced in size. China is in the midst of a new warlord area, while Taiwan got whacked hard too. The only regional threat is the North Koreans, and BMD programs would be far more useful in that conflict than anti-ship aircraft like the F-2.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Lubango

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Quick vote for Lubango Airfield.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Lubango Airport

I have the ZSU-23-4's on each end of the airport with the I-Hawk battery and the SA-22 in the center covering area. We also have a Tin Shield radar unit just to our west that is under the cover of the I-Hawk and SA-22.

I'll try to stick our planes in the revetments (I assume that's what you guys want). Be sure to pick up your T-shirt too.

Voting on Operatives coming in a couple of hours.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Lubango

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
It seems like all our airfields are close to populated areas, and I would think the other players in the theater have their assets based in populated areas as well.

Perhaps we can invest in an intelligence network? Pay some locals to give us a call whenever they see military aircraft lifting off. It could give us early warning of a strike. Plus, if we can establish the patrol pattern of that 737 we will have a better chance of catching it on the ground, or at least avoiding it when we do our own operations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looks like you might want to turn off day-night shading, its under one of the menus somewhere.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks Baloogan! I forgot about that one.

The Breakdown

Bogan Brown is your ground intel asset. He'll have the chance to put eyes on the ground, maybe even where we need them.

Wing Commander Rohan is like a fury from the sky. She'll appear when, and where, she sees fit with her Rafale's.

Zack is your high tech intel dude. He gets us satellite linkup and some drones. And a nasty debt to the Irish Mafia.

:frogsiren: Voting Closes in 24 Hours :frogsiren:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man this isn't even a choice. Wing Commander Rohan!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Night10194 posted:

Hear hear! And give the good Wing Commander a double-pay contract while we're at it!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As much as I love Rohan, I'm giving this to Bogan Brown.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Given that people were explicitly asking for Rohan to be hireable, there's basically zero chance she doesn't win the vote.

Paul Hogan was a cool guy, but we already have slaves we don't even pay to get ground intel. Rohan is free planes, and thus probably objectively the best choice in addition to being the thread favorite, and so will win unopposed.

I'm sticking with my prior vote of Zack because drones and CIA stuff.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bogan Brown is our guy.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Night10194 posted:

Seconded. I would be all sorts of okay with this happening.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Rohan, Duh.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
As sorely tempting as it is to get Rohan in on this and although Bogan would be amusing/very useful in his own way, I think I'm due for a Zack attack. I want to see what those CIA operatives can do.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I called it!

Man, you'd think the Indian government would have made her a drat hero for her service. I guess it's all been swept under the rug to prevent it from escalating further.

Wing Commander Rohan is the hero Angola needs. I'm sure they'll give her the gratitude her own country didn't.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Rohan, obviously.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rohan.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I called it!

Man, you'd think the Indian government would have made her a drat hero for her service. I guess it's all been swept under the rug to prevent it from escalating further.

I also suspect that to the average news reader "We lost 30 jets and gutted our air force taking on 10 and only beat 4 or 5 of them" doesn't sound like a victory, despite the fact that even THAT was a huge achievement given what they were up against.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hayard Gunnes call for help, and Rohan will answer.

e. vote changed to Zack.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 20, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

drat, they all sound super useful. A couple million to save tens to hundreds of millions of our own hardware, or a couple million to add hundreds of millions of hardware to the field on our side. Although it sounds like Rohan might go crazy and shoot something we don't want shot, I'm still gonna vote Rohan

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
People that drink bad drinks can't be trusted. After all, if their judgement in booze is bad, their judgement in less important things (like assets, strikes, planning, etc) will certainly be just as terrible.

Thus, we must go with Rohan, for being the only one with a functioning liver

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Angola is compact and complicated, and if we want to hit that Wedgetail on the ground, we need intel. I say Brogan

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Soon-to-be-Active-Duty-Pilot Thunderlips asks: Could we please stop recruiting intel operatives at the local drunk tanks? Thanks in advance, brother.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Night10194 posted:

I also suspect that to the average news reader "We lost 30 jets and gutted our air force taking on 10 and only beat 4 or 5 of them" doesn't sound like a victory, despite the fact that even THAT was a huge achievement given what they were up against.

Man, this really is an action movie.

She was the best pilot the Indian Air Force had ever seen...but after surviving a suicidal mission to achieve a key victory, she was unfairly stripped of her rank.

But now, a determined political idealist and his scrappy bunch of rebels and freedom fighters need her help to liberate a nation.

And a wicked dictator and his mercenary minions are about to learn that...

You Don't Mess With The Rohan

Coming this summer.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rohan's back!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
If WC Rohan is really in such dire straits with the Indian government/military, we should offer her a permanent home. Sounds like she got burned doing us a solid, least we could do.

If we can give WC Rohan a permanent home, we should. Rohan rides with us.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tevery Best posted:

Soon-to-be-Active-Duty-Pilot Thunderlips asks: Could we please stop recruiting intel operatives at the local drunk tanks? Thanks in advance, brother.
Yeah, we already have enough insane ground operatives already on the payroll!

Coffeehitler posted:

If WC Rohan is really in such dire straits with the Indian government/military, we should offer her a permanent home. Sounds like she got burned doing us a solid, least we could do.

I figure that assuming things go well for us and she doesn't go out and commit warcrimes (highly unlikely - I figure it's more she'll be launching attacks that boost our threat level more than we might otherwise be comfortable with), we put in a suggestion that the Count puts her on retainer to build up his own air force once we leave (with us providing additional support and getting a finders' fee, to boot). Everybody wins!

I'm guessing probably bombing the Secret Police HQ or something similarly awesome.

I figure Bogan won't actually be too useful - he's unstable, and we seem to have a decent hearts-and-minds arrangement going with the locals, so hopefully we can get local intelligence that way.I don't really think that Zack's satellite linkups will be too useful - if anything, might be best to keep him in our back pocket for future endeavors.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Coffeehitler posted:

Too right. Another vote for Rohan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Rohan gives me bad vibes. Reckless and bitter does not seem like a winning combination for a mercenary. Six million for two rafales is a pretty sweet deal though, and I can see why people like that idea. Ultimately though, we have a ton of very good aircraft already and I don't think a pair of rafales will add much to the mix.

On the other hand, we have Bogan. He would be an amazing asset to have with regards to tracking down the Wedgetail and jumping it on the ground, but...

I'm going to have to vote for Zack. The good Count would benefit hugely from the sorts of intelligence he would be able to garner for us, and who knows, the CIA may be able to pull some strings for us in the Boneyard.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 19, 2017