Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BobHoward posted:

I found this: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/motor-sports-executive-lands-in-jail-for-posting-funny-clip-online/article5056363.ece

Apparently it's just that the guy cut all the boring normal bits out of 40 minutes of raw footage, and the resulting video (while funny) had some negative consequences for the co-driver, and in Chennai you can go to jail for that I guess.

I like jurisdictions where the truth is a defence to charges of defamation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I get that the small numbers they're saying ("four left into three right") are some kind of scale for the sharpness of the turn, but what are the large ones where they say stuff like "two left fifty, then hundred and fifty into four right?" Desired speed for the section in km/h? Distance between turns in meters?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
You do not tell me drat right!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/CloseElaborateBorer.mp4

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

I get that the small numbers they're saying ("four left into three right") are some kind of scale for the sharpness of the turn, but what are the large ones where they say stuff like "two left fifty, then hundred and fifty into four right?" Desired speed for the section in km/h? Distance between turns in meters?
Ok, not my area, but If I'm rememberign right:

The small numbers are how severe the corner is, though there's actually some variation there - whether you use a big number to mean you can go faster (i.e. a more gentle curve), or a sharper turn. So you need to know which they're using to know whether a 2 or a 4 is sharper.

The large numbers are the distance between them or the distance to the corner, generally metres/yards.

Normally "into" or "and" is where things are linked together in close proximity, so no point having a distance.

You'll also get things like "flat" (you can go flat out), "tightens", "crest" and so on, most of which are relatively self explanatory.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

I like jurisdictions where the truth is a defence to charges of defamation.

I am truly surprised that it wasn't Sammy that brought the lawsuit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

InitialDave posted:

You're pretty much right. Co-driver lingo isn't an exact science though, and each pair usually work out their own dialect.

So the distance measure might be yards or meters depending on what's most natural to the driver.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres also lingo for the bank angle of the road

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
A lot of times, the small number refers to the gear the driver needs to be in. Not always, but that's one style of doing pace notes.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Countdown didn´t reach zero before it hit the ground, 2/10.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Elsa posted:

There's certainly driver skill involved. I saw a rally driving instructional video of a left-foot braking technique. The point of it was avoiding the weight transfer of letting off the throttle, and it wasn't a matter of slowing the car but having finer control of RPM. Add a good navigator with notes and that driver can run the course as if he's run it a hundred times on forza.

The samir video copilot seems to call turns late. Most rally co-pilots call out the chained turns ahead of time.

Might not be this exact video (They have several) but this sounds similar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgg5WWfMWzM

Really interesting to see how they use it to fine tune the car

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

The small numbers are how severe the corner is, though there's actually some variation there - whether you use a big number to mean you can go faster (i.e. a more gentle curve), or a sharper turn. So you need to know which they're using to know whether a 2 or a 4 is sharper.

The large numbers are the distance between them or the distance to the corner, generally metres/yards.

Normally "into" or "and" is where things are linked together in close proximity, so no point having a distance.

You'll also get things like "flat" (you can go flat out), "tightens", "crest" and so on, most of which are relatively self explanatory.

Rally driver (former driver? :() here, yes, he's right, the larger number or really a number by itself indicates the distance to the next instruction.

The grading of the curves varies between teams. The Samir video uses sharp/medium/easy (there's a few more grading/words I'm forgetting) which is one way. I personally hate that way as I like numbering better, but it is one.

The number system is either 1 to 6 where 1 is a very sharp turn and 6 is a very gradual turn, or 6 to 1 where 6 is a very sharp turn and 1 is very gradual. I used 1 to 6 personally. Australia likes 6 to 1 if I remember correctly. "Into" and "and" are typically used for distance measurements less than 30 metres. Into would be like 10 and and is like 20 or something similar.

To blow your mind, watch this video of the stage record on Finland's Ouninpohja by Petter Solberg and Phil Mills and see how far ahead they're calling instructions. It's incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDSPhECTSA

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If you run a burnt wheel you bought for $15, you get what you pay for. Assuming you could find an installer who'd mount a fresh tire on this physical embodiment of a lawsuit.

The WTF here is the seller insisting it's safe to use, then disabling comments after an actual metallurgist tells him it's not.
"How can you even tell! Jet fuel Tire fires can't embrittle alloy wheels!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

drat armchair metallurgists and monday morning material engineers getting between common folks and not-at-all-damaged wheels.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

NitroSpazzz posted:

Might not be this exact video (They have several) but this sounds similar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgg5WWfMWzM

Really interesting to see how they use it to fine tune the car

That's the one!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything in that video might as well be in a foreign language for me.. seems like the sort of technique where you need an instructor in your ear and be able to feel the car react to input to really grok what's going on.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

NoWake posted:

If you run a burnt wheel you bought for $15, you get what you pay for. Assuming you could find an installer who'd mount a fresh tire on this physical embodiment of a lawsuit.

The WTF here is the seller insisting it's safe to use, then disabling comments after an actual metallurgist tells him it's not.
"How can you even tell! Jet fuel Tire fires can't embrittle alloy wheels!"

Do you have the comment from the metallurgist and the subsequent replies (if they weren't deleted)?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sadly no pictures of this yet but coworker is terrible at maintenance and is a notorious cheapskate.

A month or so ago he noticed his ~350k+ mile Buick Rondevu was running kind of rough. Seeing as he hadn't changed plugs, wires, etc in the last ~250k miles he decided it might be time to do that. So he runs to the parts store right before they close Saturday night and gets supplies. Once home starts swapping the plugs, one sticks a bit so he puts on his cheater bar for a bit more torque. It finally snaps loose after leaning into the 4' cheater...snapping the insulator/electrode free of the metal case/threads. By this point it's midnight and he flies out of town for a couple weeks early Sunday morning. So finishes up the rest of the plugs/wires/etc and drives to the airport on 5 cylinders. He said it was pretty noisy.

While he was out of town he did some reading and ordered an easy-out kit. He promptly snaps the easy-out off flush with the cylinder head. Runs much quieter now and he calls around for a replacement head and/or engine, none are cheap enough. Continues daily driving the thing ~50 miles a day round trip for two weeks before he's headed out of town again. This time though instead of flying out of the local airport he wants to spend the weekend before with his grand kids then fly out from there...only 500 mile drive.

He sent an email late Saturday (again before his early Sunday morning) flight that his truck died at some point on the trip. He flies back into that airport that's 500 miles away this weekend and no ones sure what he'll be driving back other than it will be cheap.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 18, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Was it flickering so dude wandered by and poked it with a stick to make it not flicker?

That's what you get for not leaving well enough alone.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Do you have the comment from the metallurgist and the subsequent replies (if they weren't deleted)?

I don't know the guy personally, but you could get the same facts about heat treating from any sales clerk at a hardware store.

http://imgur.com/5ZNC6bi
http://imgur.com/8291h7i

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Was it flickering so dude wandered by and poked it with a stick to make it not flicker?

That's what you get for not leaving well enough alone.
The flickering is the interaction of the PWM on the LEDs in the light and the shutter speed of the camera. I assume he's trying to turn the walk indicator so that it's actually facing the opposite side of the crosswalk.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sadly no pictures of this yet but coworker is terrible at maintenance and is a notorious cheapskate.

A month or so ago he noticed his ~350k+ mile Buick Rondevu was running kind of rough. Seeing as he hadn't changed plugs, wires, etc in the last ~250k miles he decided it might be time to do that. So he runs to the parts store right before they close Saturday night and gets supplies. Once home starts swapping the plugs, one sticks a bit so he puts on his cheater bar for a bit more torque.
:stare:

NitroSpazzz posted:

It finally snaps loose after leaning into the 4' cheater...snapping the insulator/electrode free of the metal case/threads. By this point it's midnight and he flies out of town for a couple weeks early Sunday morning. So finishes up the rest of the plugs/wires/etc and drives to the airport on 5 cylinders. He said it was pretty noisy.
:stonk:

NitroSpazzz posted:

While he was out of town he did some reading and ordered an easy-out kit. He promptly snaps the easy-out off flush with the cylinder head.
:stonklol:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Runs much quieter now and he calls around for a replacement head and/or engine, none are cheap enough. Continues daily driving the thing ~50 miles a day round trip for two weeks before he's headed out of town again. This time though instead of flying out of the local airport he wants to spend the weekend before with his grand kids then fly out from there...only 500 mile drive.

He sent an email late Saturday (again before his early Sunday morning) flight that his truck died at some point on the trip. He flies back into that airport that's 500 miles away this weekend and no ones sure what he'll be driving back other than it will be cheap.
This whole thing is insane.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elsa posted:

There's certainly driver skill involved. I saw a rally driving instructional video of a left-foot braking technique. The point of it was avoiding the weight transfer of letting off the throttle, and it wasn't a matter of slowing the car but having finer control of RPM. Add a good navigator with notes and that driver can run the course as if he's run it a hundred times on forza.

The samir video copilot seems to call turns late. Most rally co-pilots call out the chained turns ahead of time.

Whomever said that about left foot braking needs to be loving gutted with a blunt fishhook. LfB has EVERYTHING to do with weightshift.

gently caress me what a goddamn moron.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Whomever said that about left foot braking needs to be loving gutted with a blunt fishhook. LfB has EVERYTHING to do with weightshift.

gently caress me what a goddamn moron.

Weight transfer and keeping turbo(s) spooled up, yeah. :wtf:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It's also useful with FWD to correct understeer and act as a really basic ABS on loose surfaces. Hard as gently caress to learn though. Being fast on loose surfaces takes some serious skill and I'm jealous of those who just pick it up naturally.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

StimpyBoy posted:

Rally driver (former driver? :() here, yes, he's right, the larger number or really a number by itself indicates the distance to the next instruction.

The grading of the curves varies between teams. The Samir video uses sharp/medium/easy (there's a few more grading/words I'm forgetting) which is one way. I personally hate that way as I like numbering better, but it is one.

The number system is either 1 to 6 where 1 is a very sharp turn and 6 is a very gradual turn, or 6 to 1 where 6 is a very sharp turn and 1 is very gradual. I used 1 to 6 personally. Australia likes 6 to 1 if I remember correctly. "Into" and "and" are typically used for distance measurements less than 30 metres. Into would be like 10 and and is like 20 or something similar.

To blow your mind, watch this video of the stage record on Finland's Ouninpohja by Petter Solberg and Phil Mills and see how far ahead they're calling instructions. It's incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDSPhECTSA

Australia tends to use 1 - 10 as that's what's usually used with event supplied notes.

A few notes -

Distances in pacenotes mostly do not refer to the distance between corners, it just refers to the general gap between calls and the distance is not precise. 100 is a short gap, 200 is a medium gap, 300 is a long gap. So for instance a 300 could refer to a 2 km long straight. Also 100 is often used as a logical break between notes. Some drivers on the other hand do use actual distances between calls.

Ways to do notes tends to be very regional, so in GB they have easy / medium / tight for corners, Europe tends to be 1 - 6 or 6 -1, Asia Pacific 1 - 10 or 10- 1. Basically it's up to the driver about how he / she wants the calls and how to do the notes, thence there is any number of successfully used systems and sometimes systems unique to the driver. There's no right or wrong way, just ways to not crash.

I'll dig out my notes cheat sheet with all the symbols used in a day or two in general. However.... anyone want to guess what the following refers to?

8L 100 B !!!(Parachute)

quote:

It's also useful with FWD to correct understeer

It fixes understeer by weightshift. That's why it came about - to unload the rear end on a FWD so the car will oversteer and you can nail the throttle for all it's got. Also it's not really used as ABS as you actually want some lockup when braking hard to make the tyres bite hard into the gravel to create a gravel bank in front of them. That bank helps the car stop quicker than you would think for two reasons - the gravel bank offers more resistance to the car going forward and you are rippping through the top loose surface to the harder layer beneath. Both reasons are why a gravel car can stop ridiculously fast and both need some mild brake locking to achieve it.

The rule of thumb is threshold braking occurs when you have 10-15% slipping on tarmac, it's more like 20-40%(?) on gravel.

(?) Been too long since I last looked that up so the precise % is only off hazy memory. You do however need some brake lock on gravel to really make a car stop hard.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 18, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Crustashio posted:

It's also useful with FWD to correct understeer and act as a really basic ABS on loose surfaces. Hard as gently caress to learn though. Being fast on loose surfaces takes some serious skill and I'm jealous of those who just pick it up naturally.

Move someplace with a lot of dirt roads and go hooning whenever you can. I love gravel now.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I bought a car just to do rallycross events with. At some point i am fully expecting it will be it's own horrible mechanical failure.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Meh, the stupid tard is probably me and I didn't know what I was talking about.

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Australia tends to use 1 - 10 as that's what's usually used with event supplied notes.

Ah yeah, forgot about 1 - 10. That's just crazy to me that some people want that degree of grading. But I supposed with 1 - 6 and then minus and plus it is similar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

8L 100 B !!!(Parachute)

I'm pretty sure I know, but I'll let others guess. If I'm right there's a famous video somewhere of a Mitsubishi and this instruction.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

8L 100 B !!!(Parachute)

Sharp left followed shortly by an extremely steep drop? Maybe that downhill that KaptainBallistik Dukes-of-Hazzard'ed off of a while back?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

We have our winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWdPpHj07g0

And same car a few years later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMW_2_j2tTg

And just to prove some people dont get the hint.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQfvl2XJOig

http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/index.php?/category/5

quote:

Ah yeah, forgot about 1 - 10. That's just crazy to me that some people want that degree of grading. But I supposed with 1 - 6 and then minus and plus it is similar.

I've tried both, 1 - 6 is easier to write notes for but 1 - 10 is more precise. Also 1 - 10 gives you a lot of confidence on the high speed corners. If you are starting on pacenotes, I personally think that 1 - 10 wins, despite a bit more note work.

Edit : The exact pacenotes for Mineshaft are 8L ^ 100 B !!!(Parachute)< (8 left crest Brake Triple Caution Mineshaft keep left

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 19, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NoWake posted:

I don't know the guy personally, but you could get the same facts about heat treating from any sales clerk at a hardware store.

http://imgur.com/5ZNC6bi
http://imgur.com/8291h7i

The willful, even combative, ignorance displayed is a wonder. Also, it's an aluminum alloy, not steel, genius.
Folks never seem to fathom just how hot a car fire can be, and how much that can change metals.

I don't mind when people don't know a thing, but refusing to learn is a crime against nature, quite literally. That's the difference between ignorance and stupidity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jet fuel [burning in open air] can’t melt steel. [But it can weaken it to the extent that it may as well be molten.]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"The fire caused the metal to lose its temper."

"I'LL SHOW YOU LOSING MY TEMPER"

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Darchangel posted:

Folks never seem to fathom just how hot a car fire can be, and how much that can change metals.

They use heat to forge Hanzo steel for strength so checkmate education haver :smug:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Video doesnt really show how STEEP the mineshaft is in reality- Its seriously to the point where the combination of the decomposed granite and the incline mean you cant walk up it. My poor old 2.8L diesel hilux wouldnt go UP it in high range even with a run up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

The willful, even combative, ignorance displayed is a wonder. Also, it's an aluminum alloy, not steel, genius.

I don't mind when people don't know a thing, but refusing to learn is a crime against nature, quite literally. That's the difference between ignorance and stupidity.

The part that upsets me the most in those screenshots is that apparently "expert" is a pejorative to some people.

Haha, fuckin' losers, actually knowing about things. What, did you go to fancy-pants college and get some kind'a book learnin' that gives you more than a high school understanding of the world? I bet you even have a field of expertise in which you excel :rolleyes:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It's Facebook. Home of the LCD of inbredmethheadshithook. Dump friendface and your life will be oh so much better. guarangoddamnteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Raluek posted:

The part that upsets me the most in those screenshots is that apparently "expert" is a pejorative to some people.

Haha, fuckin' losers, actually knowing about things. What, did you go to fancy-pants college and get some kind'a book learnin' that gives you more than a high school understanding of the world? I bet you even have a field of expertise in which you excel :rolleyes:

ICP takes the cake for reveling in ignorance and reviling education:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs&t=114s

They list off a bunch of very natural and understood phenomena and declare them "miracles". Listen to the whole thing if you really want to punish yourself.