Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gaunab posted:

What are some good Batman stories? I've read Year One, Killing Joke, Knightfall, Dark Knight Returns, The Man Who Laughs, Monster Men, and The Mad Monk. I like the more grounded stories where he's on his own but I don't care about those things as long as the story is good.
He's an accquired taste and works really high level, but you've basically got to at least try Morrison's run. Read Batman and Son, The Black Glove, and Batman R.I.P. and if it hasn't grabbed you by then, walk away with a clean conscience, but if you're digging it, there's a lot more.

I'm torn on whether or not to recommend Hush; it's basically the big Batman Fights Everybody story and it's drawn gorgeously by Jim Lee... but the plot isn't that great, but on the other hand if you're relatively new, Jeph Loeb's bullshit may not have worn thin for you and you might have a good time. It's not required reading, I guess, but there's worse things than the Batman-comic equivalent of a noisy blockbuster where if you turn off your brain you'll have a good time.

Scott Snyder's run on Batman is amazing and basically the only good thing that came out of the New 52 era. Start at Court of Owls and go from there, the reading list will be nice and straightforward. Once you're done with that run (it ends at Bloom), if you want more Snyder Batman, he's got a two-volume run on All-Star Batman that's not available in trade yet and is just finishing up. Just ignore the terrible retcon of Mr. Freeze's origin, and whatever you do, don't get Frank Miller's All-Star Batman and Robin by mistake.

Oh, and maybe A Death In The Family, which is important more from the impact it left than the actual story itself. Morrison, Snyder, and Loeb all quote from it at one point or another; you can just know that once upon a time the Joker beat Jason Todd, the second Robin, to death with a crowbar, but it might be worth seeing it for yourself.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Scott Snyder's The Black Mirror, which was his run with Dick Grayson as a solo Batman in Detective Comics.
You can then move on to his N52 'Batman' series, which is a mostly solo Bruce (and then Jim Gordon,) but it's several times longer as a full multi year saga. There is a great origin story arc in the middle called Zero Year, if you just want to read a portion of it all.

Then there's Grant Morrison's stuff, but it's a huge commitment across multiple series. It starts here https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Son-Grant-Morrison/dp/1401212417

Edit: What he said. Except...

CapnAndy posted:

basically the only good thing that came out of the New 52 era.

:rolleyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of Loeb, I still like The Long Halloween, even if the plot doesn't really make sense.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Frank Miller's All-Star Batman and Robin is something you should read. It is the most insane Batman story ever written and possibly an actual 11 issue visual interpretation of one man's mental breakdown.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is also Batman: Year 100 by Pope which is pretty good, Black Mirror by Snyder which has been mentioned before, Long Halloween and Haunted Knight by Loeb and Sale.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Frank Miller's All-Star Batman and Robin is something you should read. It is the most insane Batman story ever written and possibly an actual 11 issue visual interpretation of one man's mental breakdown.

That Neal Adams series is more insane imo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The following are Batman stories I liked!

Batman: Secrets by Sam Keith was pretty enjoyable. Feels like a spiritual followup to the Killing Joke in a sense. May not be your thing if you dislike Kieth's unique art style though.

Batman: Shaman is also real good. Denny O' Neill wrote it, and he's one of the more consistently good Batman writers, generally speaking.

Batman: Ego and Other Tails: Darwyn Cooke, 'nuff said.

Batman: Noel by Lee Bermejo, breathtaking art, and a solid story.

Dark Night(not a typo in this instance): A True Batman Story by Paul Dini and Eduardo Risso. Great story, a reminder that Paul Dini is really talented.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight is fabulous, also.

The Batman/Starman/Hellboy teamup is a lot of fun, it's collected in The Starman Omnibus collection, not sure where else.

Stories I've heard good stuff about, but have not read: Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham (Mignola!), Batman vs Predator, Batman: Red Rain, Batman Year 100 (by Paul Pope).

That should get ya started.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 19, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Batman Annual #14 (1990) is one of my favorite Batman stories ever, it's a great take on the origin of Two-Face, and Jeph Loeb lifted a lot of it for his use of the character in The Long Halloween. It's probably not easy to find, but it was reprinted along with some other Two-Face and Riddler material as a trade that was a tie-in to Batman Forever.

This reprint also had much better print quality overall, so it's probably the better buy. I dunno how Comixology works so maybe it's on there.

Speaking of Two-Face stories, Batman Black and White: Two of a Kind is a great Bruce Timm comic, but it features very little Batman.

It's an elseworlds, but another great story is The Batman of Arkham, where Bruce Wayne is a victorian-era psychiatrist and the administrator of Arkham asylum.

Going Sane is a pretty great story by JM Dematteis.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth is very weird, but it's definitely one of my favorite Batman stories.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth is very weird, but it's definitely one of my favorite Batman stories.

poo poo, forgot that one. Nice catch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

All of the Batman vs. Predator comics. Come read the Batman thread, we could probably use another conversation about the best Batman stories.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

All of the Batman vs. Predator comics. Come read the Batman thread, we could probably use another conversation about the best Batman stories.

You know DT's just going to recommend a bunch of Jason Todd stories.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

You know DT's just going to recommend a bunch of Jason Todd stories.

Well fortunately The Cult is both a Jason Todd story and extremely great!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You know, every few months or so we do these "recommend a Batman story" thing and while there is nothing wrong with these lists, I am also kind of curious about some anti-recommend Batman lists. Which stories should people avoid and why.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

You know, every few months or so we do these "recommend a Batman story" thing and while there is nothing wrong with these lists, I am also kind of curious about some anti-recommend Batman lists. Which stories should people avoid and why.

If Chuck Dixon wrote it, it's poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Depends on the when in regards to Chuck. He wrote some great Batman stuff and basically wrote the best runs of Robin and Nightwing that really defined their characters for many years after. Then he kind of when to poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Outside of his politics which really didn't have any play in his actual comics his run on Nightwing and Robin are very well regarded. Even his Detective Comics and Birds of Prey runs were solid. It sucks that he is a right wing jerk but if you didn't know that about him you wouldn't really have anything against his comics.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nah. He was very much in the Doug Moench state of telling decent, action/adventure-based Bat-stories but never ever pushing himself to up his game or get really bold creatively at any point.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So my local store has about a dozen Amalgam issues on sale. Anything actually worthwhile?

Challengers of the Fantastic

Edit: Oh, Batman comics? Definitely the O'Neil/Adams stuff, in addition to what's been mentioned.

Batman to avoid? I'm not a fan of the post-No Man's Land period. And Hush is straight-up hot garbage. The entire 1950s is an acquired taste; gorgeous art anytime Dick Sprang's working, but the stories... well, there's a reason nobody talked about those stories until Morrison decided "I'm gonna make every era EVER canon."

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 19, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Thank you all for the recommendations. I'm excited to check them all out. I'll hit up the Batman thread for more too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

He's an accquired taste and works really high level, but you've basically got to at least try Morrison's run. Read Batman and Son, The Black Glove, and Batman R.I.P. and if it hasn't grabbed you by then, walk away with a clean conscience, but if you're digging it, there's a lot more.

I really dislike Morrison, but his Batman is some of the best Batman I have read. At least until nu52 fucks everything up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh yeah, read Batwoman Elegy too, dude!!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Madkal posted:

The Dark Knight series that started after N52.

As for why, well...

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Both the Batman/Grendel series are great. And they answer a question posed in a grendel series from a few years before. Neat tie-in

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Batman/Judge Dredd

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

His Bane origin story is legitimately amazing.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Batman/Judge Dredd

Both of 'em

Mr Hootington posted:

As noted Odyssey beats this out by a country mile. You will constantly check to make sure you're not on drugs somehow.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Batman Odyssey is undoubtedly the craziest Batman, but ASBAR is definitely the most gratuitous Batman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RandallODim posted:

gratuitous Batman.

Which one has shirtless batman yelling at us?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RandallODim posted:

Batman Odyssey is undoubtedly the craziest Batman, but ASBAR is definitely the most gratuitous Batman.

It's golden if only for the scene where he confronts Hal Jordan.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bobkatt013 posted:

That's Odyssey.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

Odyssey, but I'll say that it was much more fun to read about than actually read. I thought it was kinda boring.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Skwirl posted:

It's golden if only for the scene where he confronts Hal Jordan.

This. It's worth the trip to crazy town for this scene alone.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

I know it's technically Batman-adjacent, but stay away from Adam Beechen's Robin & Batgirl stories.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Happy 420

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I know it's supposed to be someone throwing their drinks in surprise but whenever I see that image I like to believe it's a plant that gives you weed and beer at the same time

Actual contribution for the day: http://imgur.com/a/Oo74p

Google says it's from Superman/Batman: The Search for Kryptonite

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Plants actually do give you bees.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ha! Scott Lobdell has the task of turning Aspen Comics legit next week.

quote:

FEB171233
(W) Scott Lobdell (A/CA) Jordan Gunderson
They exist in the all-new ASPEN UNIVERSE...yet belong to NO ONE! Enter a brand-new phase in Aspen's growing collection of thrilling series, as characters from our most critically-acclaimed titles unite-EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT IRIS, Soulfire's MIYA, the supernatural vigilante DELLEC, along with an exciting new cast of characters come together in this altogether different story - yet one thing is certain-their respective lives are in no less danger! A mysterious conglomerate has emerged on the scene with a sinister purpose-the incorporation of pure evil on a scale never seen before! But, will this collection of unstable personalities come together as friends to defeat this new adversary-or will they instead battle as foes?! Find out in this new Aspen Comics title ready to tip the scales on everything you thought you knew about the Aspen Universe! Written by legendary Uncanny X-Men scribe Scott Lobdell (Michael Turner's Fathom) with art by Jordan Gunderson (Aspen Universe: Revelations), this is THE NEW Aspen title you won't want to miss!
In Shops: Apr 26, 2017
SRP: $3.99

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I guess Lobdell is legendary in the same way that say the Baba Yaga or the Jersey Devil is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

I guess Lobdell is legendary in the same way that say the Baba Yaga or the Jersey Devil is

:discourse:

• Locked thread