Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I hope people here don't like Dogme 95. That would change a lot.

I mean, I don't think it's like, the one true style of filmmaking or anything, but it has its place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The "joke" would be that you're not allowed to make a Dogme 95 film that's set anywhere but the present as of shooting.

edit: dogme 95 is great. Festen is loving the

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Boy is a weird loving movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's awful. But I'd hate it more if the "MOVIES HAVE TO FUNCTION AS A SILENT" people appreciate it because it goes against their argument. Since that whole movement is about character and realism and not the visuals.

I know I'm making a weird argument but I don't care. I DON CARE!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Why do you think it's awful?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's delightful how it fully commits to its stupid premise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly, I just like the escapism aspect of films. Where I go, doesn't have to be a great place, or a positive one, but I don't want it to exist anywhere near me. In terms of story. I want the characters to be relatable, but not so much the setting. That and I don't like things filmed with cheap handycams that look like home movies. Unless it's found footage.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CelticPredator posted:

I want the characters to be relatable

The movie criteria that most baffles me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It baffles me that people here find that baffling.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's like saying the places you visit on vacation should be as similar to your home town as possible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, I wouldn't say it's like that at all. Maybe the word "relatable" means something different to you, but for me it's just on some basic level I can understand what this character is going through. I've never been a murderer who chainsaws people to death and steals their faces, but I sorta feel sorry for ol' Leatherface because he just wants to be loved by his family, who treats him poorly.

Empathy through something we can relate too. I don't really root for the guy though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Maybe sympathetic is a better word? I dunno, when I hear relatable I think "I have things in common with them."

But even still I don't think characters need to even be sympathetic to be interesting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I agree with you. But I guess like, even someone as lovely as Kenny Powers, or as cold and distant as Driver, or heck, even someone like...uh, whatever Scarlett's character's name was in Under The Skin, you start to see things that you as a human being can relate and understand. And these characters may not make the choices you would make, but you get why they would and may have even went "poo poo, I thought about doing that." Or "Man, I actually did that once...yeesh."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like it when it feels like there's an analytical or emotional conversation happening in the space between me and the movie that gives me some kind of catharsis or epiphany.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's like saying the places you visit on vacation should be as similar to your home town as possible.

It's been a while since I have partaken in commercial tourism but I'm pretty sure there are millions of people saying this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Cruise ships are basically floating malls so yes

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like it when it feels like there's an analytical or emotional conversation happening in the space between me and the movie that gives me some kind of catharsis or epiphany.

I also really like this. Movies that make me feel weird (in a good way) for a few days after are the best. Both Dogtooth and The Lobster left me reeling for days.

It's also great getting the comedy high of a movie hitting just the right moment and being great. I couldn't stop talking about David Wain's Wanderlust because that movie had me in stitches the whole time.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

glam rock hamhock posted:

As soon as it got to The Boy giggling and leaving behind a sandwich I was completely on board.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Franchescanado posted:

I also really like this. Movies that make me feel weird (in a good way) for a few days after are the best. Both Dogtooth and The Lobster left me reeling for days.

It's also great getting the comedy high of a movie hitting just the right moment and being great. I couldn't stop talking about David Wain's Wanderlust because that movie had me in stitches the whole time.

Yeah I love the hazy aftereffect of a movie like that, where it kinda sticks to you and alters your worldview for a bit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sounds like there's a very strong chance the WGA goes on strike next week.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Do we know why?

This is disappointing. We're gonna get a poo poo-ton of new reality shows now. :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't particularly care for movies.

Timby posted:

Maybe we'll get a bunch of crazy rear end episodes of Conan again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Do we know why?

Basically the AMPTP is trying to bend them over like they did with the DGA last year, notably refusing to address compensation issues for short-season runs (a writer will get half their normal salary for a 13-episode season or whatever, even though they're generally committed to the project for a full year), refusing to discuss a new formula for residuals (which the WGA wants to address because of the rise of streaming) and insisting on the WGA making huge concessions in terms of their insurance premiums.

Basically, long-festering issues that have been brewing since the last strike.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Literally the only Dogme movie I've seen is Julien Donkey-Boy, and that's actually good enough for me.

CelticPredator posted:

I think it's awful. But I'd hate it more if the "MOVIES HAVE TO FUNCTION AS A SILENT" people appreciate it because it goes against their argument. Since that whole movement is about character and realism and not the visuals.

I know I'm making a weird argument but I don't care. I DON CARE!

Dogme 95 isn't about character and realism over visuals. The vast majority of Dogme 95 rules are expressly about visual aesthetic: shoot handheld, Academy 35 mm; shoot in color; shoot on location; do not use non-natural lighting or optical effects; even "no genre" or "superficial action" works into this. The conspicuous absence of more formal, 'commercial' film elements says as much visually as their presence. The point of Dogme 95 is to challenge the international filmmaking community to imagine cinema without commerce. The name of the movement, along with its "Vows of Chastity," connotes a sense of traditionalism, but it's Dadaist - it recognizes implicitly that this 'tradition' is impossible or imagined. That's why every Dogme 95 filmmaker breaks the Dogme 95 rules, and accredit films which break the rules. Harmony Korine: "Okay, you said shoot in 35 mm, but I'll just shoot on video, transfer it to 16 mm, and then blow it up to a 35 print." Dogme 95: "Dude, you get us so loving much."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Safety Factor posted:

Scotland is fantastic, but the weather sucks balls. Where were you at? I stayed in Edinburgh, but made it up to Aberdeen and spent a couple of days in the Highlands. Made a detour to Dunnottar castle and Stonehaven on the way back from Aberdeen. Ate haggis, drank scotch, etc.

Ireland is gorgeous. I was really lucky when I visited; I had plenty of sun. I only stayed in Dublin, but I did a day trip up to the North to see the Giant's Causeway and detoured to Belfast for a bit. Belfast is supremely hosed. I also took a day out West to go to the Cliffs of Moher. I wish I had stayed in Galway for a day or two, I've only heard good things. Dublin is great though. I'd happily go back. If you're trying to do a distillery tour or something, check out Teeling. They're the only working distillery in Dublin and Jameson's a tourist trap. There's also a small whiskey museum near the university that talks you through the history of it all and ends with a decent whiskey tasting. Check out the Brazen Head if you can. It's full of tourists, but it's a good bar and it's 800+ years old so why not? My dad even gave me a couple of pub recommendations from the 70's and, sure enough, they were still valid.

Landed in Edinburgh but drove straight to Oban where my second fav scotch is made (Laphroiag was too tough with only two days in Scotland). Hit some castles on the way back including the one where they filmed Holy Grail. Then back to Edinburgh for a day before flying to Ireland and did the day in Dublin - did the Guinness tour which was a tourist trap but whatever.

Tomorrow is driving out to Galway/Cliffs of Moher then back to drop our friends off at the airport. Then it's down to Kilarney and Ring of Kerry for a night before spending our last night in Dublin again before flying out. I'll try to check out the Brazen Head. When I come back some day it'll probably be much longer in Scotland.

And yes, the weather sucks. I have seen the sun once. It's at least warm-ish.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This happened to me with Neighbors 2. I'm lost as a 25 year old and I also miss my best friend.

:(

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Dogme95 meant to be a sort of brief experiment rather than "This is how movies should be?" I seem to recall a statement about how after you make a Dogme95 film your next project should be a musical with a hundred cameras or something like that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It definitely wasn't meant to be the end-all be-all filmmaking style, idk where people get that idea.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just put in my Spy Game dvd, because my roommate hasn't seen it... It's loving full screen. That means I haven't watched it in like 10 fuckin years.

Still watching it anyway.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am watching Resident Evil Retribution and I have just witnessed two hot ladies blow up a car with gasoline by shooting at it while standing right next to it and yet the car explodes and goes backwards away from them pushing the two invincible monsters backwards into other cars that explode because of the gasoline all around them and yet those two are okay. THEY WERE RIGHT NEXT TO THE THING BUT THE EXPLOSION WENT BACKWARDS AWAY FROM THEM AND THEY ARE PRISTINE WHILE THE MONSTERS ARE DEAD.

Awesome.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just got to watch the "Teardrops Are Falling" scene from Cry-Baby as part of the pre-clips package before a screening of The Shawshank Redemption. That probably excited me more than the movie, which I still really like. But I love Cry-Baby.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Hi I'm the guy who likes Argo. Rewatching it and it does some really great stuff in the first 30 min. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, although it's not BP material.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I made a food donation to the no-kill animal shelter today, and noticed this cat.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gonz posted:

I made a food donation to the no-kill animal shelter today, and noticed this cat.

I dig the irony of a cat prone to over stimulation being advertised with a play on Mad Max Fury Road, which is like Overstimulation: The Movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
that's a good cat

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that's a good cat

all cats are good cats

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Good thing the kids have phones so that they won't disturb grandpa. And then grandpa won't catch me behind the shed with Kate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It's stil hilarious to me that Zoe Saldana is either Green or Blue almost as often as she's Black in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

This happened to me with Neighbors 2. I'm lost as a 25 year old and I also miss my best friend.

:(

Just wait until you're 30 and everyone has big people jobs and/or kids and they're all either married or in long term relationships.

• Locked thread