Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

I have to imagine that Universal has almost recouped its entire Wizarding World renovation investment on wands alone. They're stupidly popular (my family owns three, two of which are the interactive ones...), and Disney would be foolish not to try and cash in on that.

They would also be foolish to limit the interactivity to just the Pandora region of the park. If those banshees are interactive at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tim Wheatley I just moved from Northern NH down to here. I'd say unless you want to be right near the parks try to move to Poinciana or closer to Tampa. If you have any more questions let me know.

Compared to NH it's a culture shock. I'm actually glad I went to a more rural FL place as it reminds me of home.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

nbakyfan posted:

I live in Celebration and love it. Streets can get crowded at time with tourists, but you learn to handle it. It's located just south of Disney property.

I'd love to hear more about living there. Care to expand?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

A friend of mine told me about these. Apparently they can hook on your shoulders via magnets or something along those lines. I am excited to see them. The price will be probably be way more than I am willing to spend on a toy from loving Avatar though.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tim Whatley posted:

I know we've discussed this time after time over the years in the thread and I guess it's my turn to ask for some updated info. The girl and I are thinking of finally moving to Florida. We both have the privilege of working remotely with great money, so it just kind of makes sense. Plus, I have maybe one NH winter left in me tops.

What are some of the best areas near the parks? I've heard Winter Park thrown around a lot. We'd ideally rent an entire house.

I'm feeling you with the north east winters. Been laying the ground work with my wife to either relocate or snowbird it when our kid goes off to college. A bunch of my coworkers live in Clermont which is apparently a decent town and far enough away from the parks so you can escape the tourists.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yup, South Clermont here (closer to Davenport really). Lived in an apartment two years and just bought a house here because we like it so much. 20-30 minutes to MK depending on traffic, but outside the tourist bubble mostly. Main thing I would recommend moving here is to avoid having a commute on I4 but if you telecommute then that's not a problem anyways.x

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

A friend of mine told me about these. Apparently they can hook on your shoulders via magnets or something along those lines. I am excited to see them. The price will be probably be way more than I am willing to spend on a toy from loving Avatar though.

If that thing can perch on my shoulder, I don't think I will scoff at a price under $60

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Tim Wheatley I just moved from Northern NH down to here. I'd say unless you want to be right near the parks try to move to Poinciana or closer to Tampa. If you have any more questions let me know.

Compared to NH it's a culture shock. I'm actually glad I went to a more rural FL place as it reminds me of home.

Thanks to everybody for recommendations and thanks Empress for the offer. Forgot there was a fellow NH resident who just moved down there. I'm sure I'll have questions as the year goes on. A big thing I'll miss? Market Basket.

Also, it looks like Disney's Gondola System is confirmed. Epcot, DHS, Caribbean Beach, AoA, Pop, and I'm sure another stop too.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
They are going to raise the rates at pop now aren't they....

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Thanks to everybody for recommendations and thanks Empress for the offer. Forgot there was a fellow NH resident who just moved down there. I'm sure I'll have questions as the year goes on. A big thing I'll miss? Market Basket.

Also, it looks like Disney's Gondola System is confirmed. Epcot, DHS, Caribbean Beach, AoA, Pop, and I'm sure another stop too.

Don't be afraid to look into the northern/farther eastern side of orlando too. Lake Mary/Heathrow/Debary is about as far as I'd go. If you cross over the bridge into volusia county house prices drop dramatically. I live in DeBary and it's a nice small town and it's about as far north/east as I'd go. Deland is also a pretty nice town, avoid deltona/orange city completely. Depending on how close to the coast you want to be New Smyrna is great and Port Orange is a fast growing city, used to live there too. I'm less than an hour to the parks and 30 minutes to the beach as well.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
CB is getting a makeover so that will go up too I imagine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mattfl posted:

Don't be afraid to look into the northern/farther eastern side of orlando too. Lake Mary/Heathrow/Debary is about as far as I'd go. If you cross over the bridge into volusia county house prices drop dramatically. I live in DeBary and it's a nice small town and it's about as far north/east as I'd go. Deland is also a pretty nice town, avoid deltona/orange city completely. Depending on how close to the coast you want to be New Smyrna is great and Port Orange is a fast growing city, used to live there too. I'm less than an hour to the parks and 30 minutes to the beach as well.

I live basically on the intersection of Sanford, Longwood, and Lake Mary. Sanford is the poorest of these towns but still has some good areas if you look in the right spots and don't just move into a $400/month rental house with four rooms. Longwood and Lake Mary are great towns to live in, and all three have their little "downtown" sections with nice independent businesses and restaurants. Lake Mary also has a farmer's market at city hall every Saturday.

If you want a really nice place that's close to the parks, head for Winter Park and other places at the northern edge of Orlando proper. Just be expected to pay more.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I live basically on the intersection of Sanford, Longwood, and Lake Mary. Sanford is the poorest of these towns but still has some good areas if you look in the right spots and don't just move into a $400/month rental house with four rooms. Longwood and Lake Mary are great towns to live in, and all three have their little "downtown" sections with nice independent businesses and restaurants. Lake Mary also has a farmer's market at city hall every Saturday.

If you want a really nice place that's close to the parks, head for Winter Park and other places at the northern edge of Orlando proper. Just be expected to pay more.

Agreed that Sanford has some, stay the gently caress away from areas lol. Their downtown area is pretty nice, Willow Tree is the loving bomb. The west side of sanford, right next to heathrow is basically big $$$$$ area. Sub-divisions that start in the 600k range lol. They sell out almost instantly though so someone is making money somewhere that's for drat sure.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

demonR6 posted:

CB is getting a makeover so that will go up too I imagine.

We stayed at CB once and never again. Place is just too drat big and it messes up our usual flow of "leave room, swing through cafeteria and grab drinks before going to bus stop" that Pop provides.

Also, it's been less than a month since our last trip and we have no future trip in sight. I'm almost considering one last unplanned trip before mid June to get one more use out of this AP.

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 20, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Publix will make Market Basket look like Shaws.

I haven't been to the parks in a month and it's killing me lol. Next planned trip is Pandora but meh.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Reinanigans posted:

I'd love to hear more about living there. Care to expand?

The houses are pretty expensive but we live in one of the apartment complexes which are still pretty nice. The downtown area is full of good restaurants. There's also plenty of walking trails in the woods throughout celebration which is nice. They have food trucks once a month and fake snow in the downtown area in December. There's a library and there's a publix close by as well. The only downside is rent, because you are close to Disney, and parking can be difficult sometimes in the downtown area due to tourists.

Orlando can go from a nice area to a bad one pretty quickly, and this is one of the few areas that doesn't have that problem. Like BBS said, Windermere and the area north of Magic kingdom is pretty nice as well.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Also we have Fresh Market which the wife and I really like. And a Trader Joe's in the area if you like that.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

chitoryu12 posted:

Hey there goon neighbor. I'm renting near the bowling alley on Airport blvd, while saving for down payment on a house zoned for lake mary high school.

I second the Willowtree Cafe as being great. Sanford Brewing Company has some nice beers too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mykkel posted:

Hey there goon neighbor. I'm renting near the bowling alley on Airport blvd, while saving for down payment on a house zoned for lake mary high school.

I second the Willowtree Cafe as being great. Sanford Brewing Company has some nice beers too.

Oh hey, I last went bowling there about 10 years ago. I'm by the Nativity church at the intersection of Ronald Reagan and Country Club.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh hey, I last went bowling there about 10 years ago. I'm by the Nativity church at the intersection of Ronald Reagan and Country Club.

Still learning the area, but I believe I've been through that intersection a few times.

So is there a good middle eastern restaurant in the area? because I would love some good shawarma, and that place by the movie theatre in heathrow is not good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mykkel posted:

Still learning the area, but I believe I've been through that intersection a few times.

So is there a good middle eastern restaurant in the area? because I would love some good shawarma, and that place by the movie theatre in heathrow is not good.

Oh My Gyro opened up very recently on SR-434 in Longwood, not far from the I-4 overpass. It's basically NYC halal cart food transplanted down south, along with a few specialty things like Nutella cheesecake and mango lassi. Not amazing by any means, but it tastes identical to an average New York street cart so it makes me nostalgic.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh My Gyro opened up very recently on SR-434 in Longwood, not far from the I-4 overpass. It's basically NYC halal cart food transplanted down south, along with a few specialty things like Nutella cheesecake and mango lassi. Not amazing by any means, but it tastes identical to an average New York street cart so it makes me nostalgic.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This is all just prologue to what I'm sure will be the largest money-printing machine Disney has ever created: Actual Lightsabers.

I know that article is old but I just read a bunch of the news about Star Wars Land that came out of the Celebration and it all sounds like highly unrealistic future poo poo that will inevitably set a new level of theming standards for theme parks the world over.

Until Nintendo World opens and they're selling actual Yoshis that you can take home and ride everywhere and I go broke buying all the colors.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm just going to start putting money aside now for 2019.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

At the Parks panel at Celebration they kinda sorta hinted at real lightsabers being a thing.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

This is all just prologue to what I'm sure will be the largest money-printing machine Disney has ever created: Actual Lightsabers.

Sounds like an upgrade to the existing 'Build a Lightsaber' thing in the Star Tours gift shop

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Will I be able to lightsaber cut an arm off of an actor who tries to talk poo poo about my Millennium Falcon flying abilities

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Icedude posted:

Sounds like an upgrade to the existing 'Build a Lightsaber' thing in the Star Tours gift shop

The thing is, those are just a customizable version of the lovely extendable lightsabers that have existed for as long as Star Wars itself. These are new high tech shits that will work specifically at Star Wars Land, which is way closer to the wands than the current sabers. They will have haptic feedback and can actually block "laser beams" shot at you by drones.

Also, Star Wars Land is gonna make so much use of drones. We know that they basically exist in the Star Wars universe already, and Disney is already putting them into very basic use in their parks. There's gonna be drones everywhere.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tim Whatley posted:

Will I be able to lightsaber cut an arm off of an actor who tries to talk poo poo about my Millennium Falcon flying abilities

Wait till you move here. I challenge you to a sword duel. I thought about that and realized it is a terrible idea that can be misinterpreted quite easily.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 20, 2017

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Mykkel posted:

Thanks, I'll check that out.

My team mate who's a bit of a foodie swears by Cedars https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...48!4d-81.488212

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's Restaurant Row.. really hard to find anywhere to open a restaurant there because space is at a premium so if you have something there it had better be good or you fail.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

I know that article is old but I just read a bunch of the news about Star Wars Land that came out of the Celebration and it all sounds like highly unrealistic future poo poo that will inevitably set a new level of theming standards for theme parks the world over.

Until Nintendo World opens and they're selling actual Yoshis that you can take home and ride everywhere and I go broke buying all the colors.

As someone who has done the Star Wars dessert party around 5 times now (all three venues!) this will financially annihilate me. I've even honestly considered doing that Rebels in room experience as well (but $500 is a little overkill)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
They need to make a Jedi Academy deal similar to Pirates League where you get get outfitted in a robe, your custom interactive lightsaber, and some other cool swag and here's my $300 to do it as an adult Disney please take my money

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Makes you wonder why they haven't. Same with I bippity bop pity boutique that thing is constantly packed yet they refuse to build more space.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Exclusivity garners a premium.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/splash-mountain-magic-kingdom-closed-summerfall-2017-refurbishment/

Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/splash-mountain-magic-kingdom-closed-summerfall-2017-refurbishment/

Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,Please just be a regular refurb not a zootopia overlay,

It goes down for refurb every year, so it really shouldn't be an overlay. Its just weird they didn't do it January-March like usual.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012

Crap, that's during my trip. My boyfriend loves log flumes and that's the ride he was most excited for. Probably doesn't help that I love it dearly and was hyping it up. I'm sad now :smith:

On the plus side, I found out Not so Scary is happening on our MK day. I've been to Christmas, but never Halloween, so I'm excited!

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

It goes down for refurb every year, so it really shouldn't be an overlay. Its just weird they didn't do it January-March like usual.

wait, it's usually closed jan-mar? drat, that's when my trip next year is and I love that ride

The price will be probably be way more than I am willing to spend on a toy from loving Avatar though.

This is the part that I thought of when I saw that. It would be cool as hell, and I really want to get one, but yeah, something from Avatar is not going to live on my shelf with the other collectables from my trips...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
FP+ time is 7am right?

Pandora better be worth it :argh: