Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do the modders have any sort of consistent algorithm for how they've decided to set the new damage values? Modding stats on a weapon is pretty trivial to do with FO4edit so you could probably roll your own compatibility patch if you knew what damage values would be consistent with Horizon's rebalancing.

He might, but I'm not aware of it. A lot of the beta tweaks were also rebalancing weapons against each other so there probably isn't a consistent conversion from vanilla stats.

You might be able to ask on the page, or just look for the closest equivalent in FO4 edit and copy the stats from that. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any hazards to do with the Place Anywhere extra object selection mode? I accidentally turned to on and discovered I could scrap almost anything. Is this doing the same hide operation as Scrap Anything?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Do we have some sort of Hints And Good Things To Do list for Horizon somewheres? It's quite different at the beginning compared to normal FO4. So far all I know is that

1. Need robotics workbench asap to make filters for a pump that actually gives you purified water.
2. Don't gently caress up lockpicking.
3. Food? Somewhere?help im hungry :(
4. Fridges in Sanctuary scrap for copper.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 19, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Don't ever eat pre-war food, it costs way too many rads for the nutrition you get. As a corollary, hunt literally everything so you have food. Any radstag/molerat/etc you see should be butchered. With melee to save bullets.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zore posted:

Don't ever eat pre-war food, it costs way too many rads for the nutrition you get. As a corollary, hunt literally everything so you have food. Any radstag/molerat/etc you see should be butchered. With melee to save bullets.

Adding to this, first things first: get Hunter as your first perk so you can actually get meat from your animal kills. If you really want to optimize your food in early game, don't clear the truck stop until you get your first level-up from doing the Concord quest so you can get even more of that sweet molerat meat.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
As has been said before, the most important thing is to consider what you get for the resources you spend, AKA don't shoot things that don't drop bullets.

Get the Hunter perk, save your crops for cooking, buy food from vendors if you have to.

Park yourself near a doctor and do quests so you have the money for treatment.

Figure out which ingredients you need to craft the essentials. Be mindful that most components have multiple uses; don't blow all your Adhesive on sick weapon mods only to realize you don't have any left for bandages.

You're gonna want to build all the custom workbenches, caravan stations etc.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
After about five hours getting my poo poo pushed in with WotC, I decided to add a multiple companion mod. If every other 2-bit faction in the Wasteland can wander merrily along in bands of five or six, then so can I. It will probably be entirely OP, but I don't really care much; this run is challenging enough as is. Since I have WotC configured that all spawn groups travel, there's no "reliable" path anywhere. Every time I leave the safety of a settlement (and boy howdy does WotC change how I build my settlements completely) is a complete toss-up as to whether or not I can even reach my destination. The AO is constantly changing.

Also, the first settlement I took? Covenant. Enough of the NPCs has been murderized through encounters that I took out the last three by myself. It's a perfectly fortified and defensible position. And taking Hangman's Alley, oh my god. With the number of Triggermen and Raiders wandering about I actually had to *hold* it for a decent amount of time before I could get reinforcements.

A completely different playthrough than my Horizon slogs, but incredibly entertaining.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 19, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What's a good stat spread for a horizon playthrough?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

What's a good stat spread for a horizon playthrough?

You get a extra 7 stats to begin with to compensate for the slower leveling, I personally always go 6 charisma to start on any character because I get into settlement building and you can pretty quickly max out the vendor prices.

Luck seems very good in Horizon, I started investing more into it, it's both good for scavenging the occasional extra bullet from random lockers and desks and being able to conserve ammo by buffing up your vat's crits to blow away somethings weak spot with a single bullet, I can't even figure out where a mirelurk hunters "head" is supposed to even be without vats.
He also added some crit chance perks for outside of vats which late game could make full auto weapons pretty good.

I got the technologist perk in perception, so far the junk items you get from killing synths or looting machines from the first few points are pretty good at getting rarer materials like circuitry, copper, gears and the later point perks suggest fancier items and you do need lots of circuitry for settlement defense or crafting certain things.

Agility was my dump stat with 1 point, but I could see a melee heavier build wanting to grab blitz, or just going 5 for the faster AP regen and more AP for sprinting.

A couple points in hunting and survival in endurance makes life easier.

I went high int myself, but that could be scaled back into doing heavy luck.

I went 2 in heavyback to still run while overweight, but the guy has some crafting options that can more then deal with any carry weight problems if you feel like going down that route.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 19, 2017

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

OwlFancier posted:

I used it a couple versions back and a bunch of guns worked fine with it, there weren't enormous changes made to weapon balance, it's still balanced around vanilla, just differently. Unless they changed it drastically for release.

I didn't find that my mod-added gun values were too different so much as armor seems to work very differently in Horizon? to the point where I had to crank up my damage dealt universally to be able to kill any raiders because their new clothes made them invincible.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Horizon has been a fantastic change of pace. Along with mortal settlers of course. Saving some dudes from a raider ambush and having them come join my settlement felt more meaningful since I really appreciate having a home base and there was a good risk vs reward thought process involved. I actually held off rushing in until I could size up what was going on and make an actual decision to engage.

There are handy "articles" with info on how all the new mechanics work but mostly I'm just making it up as I go and only check when it's time to grab a new perk.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Behold, after hours of figuring out what the gently caress is going on with Fallout 4's animation system, I've achieved my greatest creation.

A slightly smaller cricket.

However, beyond being slightly smaller, this cricket is also non hostile, flees on sight, and best of all, makes loud cricket noises that can be heard from pretty far away. This is cool because I can spawn them like radstags and wild dogs, so they'll show up pretty much everywhere. That way you can have ambient bug and cricket sounds that aren't just being pumped into your speakers as stereo sounds. I'm going to eventually give them a new skin, probably green, so that they look more distinct. Maybe make them even smaller.

I'm also planning on adding cats, rats, ants, rabbits and chickens to these spawns, just to add a little more diversity to the Commonwealth.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

Behold, after hours of figuring out what the gently caress is going on with Fallout 4's animation system, I've achieved my greatest creation.

A slightly smaller cricket.

However, beyond being slightly smaller, this cricket is also non hostile, flees on sight, and best of all, makes loud cricket noises that can be heard from pretty far away. This is cool because I can spawn them like radstags and wild dogs, so they'll show up pretty much everywhere. That way you can have ambient bug and cricket sounds that aren't just being pumped into your speakers as stereo sounds. I'm going to eventually give them a new skin, probably green, so that they look more distinct. Maybe make them even smaller.

I'm also planning on adding cats, rats, ants, rabbits and chickens to these spawns, just to add a little more diversity to the Commonwealth.

But crickets come primarily in browns and blacks?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Magmarashi posted:

But crickets come primarily in browns and blacks?

Right, but I'd like to make these guys as visually distinct from regular Cave Crickets as possible. There are brown, black and multicolored cave crickets, but no pure green ones.

If I knew how I'd just remove the horn and make them black, but I have next to no experience with modeling. I haven't been able to export a nif using a new UV map and have it work in game, and as far I know any model edit would require an updated map.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Nice work, I always thought the Wasteland did need a little more diversity of harmless critters that don't want to loving kill you.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nice work, I always thought the Wasteland did need a little more diversity of harmless critters that don't want to loving kill you.

That, and how many god drat dogs there are. It feels like anywhere I go while running my distant creature sound mod has at least one dog barking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And if any mammal's gonna be thriving after the apocalypse in the wasteland, it's goddamn housecats. They thrive anywhere. Turns out all they needed was a lift.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I just feel sorry for the birds. Everything else mutated to be too large or too weird for a housecat to tangle with, so they gotta be cutting a swath of destruction through those lovely gulls.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

HitTheTargets posted:

I just feel sorry for the birds. Everything else mutated to be too large or too weird for a housecat to tangle with, so they gotta be cutting a swath of destruction through those lovely gulls.

There are rabbits and chickens still around on the island. Maybe cats finally got around to driving all of the small animals on the mainland extinct.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MikeJF posted:

And if any mammal's gonna be thriving after the apocalypse in the wasteland, it's goddamn housecats. They thrive anywhere. Turns out all they needed was a lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsOLnJCjNqA&t=10s

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

How is it that both the male and female VAs have such terrible delivery for that one line? What kind of weird direction were they being given?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Direction? What's that?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if FO5 they'll just drop VA and generate voice via wavenet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alright, I've got a cricket without a horn. Sort of, anyways. I still need to figure out how to get its newly hornless area looking not completely awful, but I'm at least making some amount of progress on this stupid quest. :toot:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

dont be mean to me posted:

Direction? What's that?

Voice acters are given directions by uhh... directors telling them how to deliver the line since I assume a lot of time they don't get to record while watching the scene play out in front of them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He was being sarcastic indicating that they got none at all because the game development team couldn't be arsed.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am absolutely positive that the male line read was a result of the VA getting frustrated at the director repeating "More emotion!" at him.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SeanBeansShako posted:

He was being sarcastic indicating that they got none at all because the game development team couldn't be arsed.

Alas, evoking emotion properly in plain-text remains nearly as difficult as in a Bethesda game's voice work. I'll try to remember the :v: next time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HitTheTargets posted:

Fallout 2 pretty heavily implies that cats got hunted to extinction by desperate starving people since they're easier prey than dogs, so I was really surprised to see all the cats running around in this game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lurdiak posted:

Fallout 2 pretty heavily implies that cats got hunted to extinction by desperate starving people since they're easier prey than dogs, so I was really surprised to see all the cats running around in this game.

Controlling cat populations through killing ferals actually doesn't really work very well in real life. They breed and spread out quickly enough that any colonies that are destroyed usually just fill back up with new cats before long. TNR exists partially because it's the best way to control cat populations, as gradually eliminating the breeding population but leaving the cats alive eventually results in the entire colony being sterilized and ending.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I am absolutely positive that the male line read was a result of the VA getting frustrated at the director repeating "More emotion!" at him.

Yeah, he's basically two takes away from going full SILVER SHROUD! on it.

Lurdiak posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10378/

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 21, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

turn off the TV posted:

Controlling cat populations through killing ferals actually doesn't really work very well in real life. They breed and spread out quickly enough that any colonies that are destroyed usually just fill back up with new cats before long. TNR exists partially because it's the best way to control cat populations, as gradually eliminating the breeding population but leaving the cats alive eventually results in the entire colony being sterilized and ending.

They weren't hunting the ferals. :yum:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fraS6Dj00w0

Lurdiak posted:

They weren't hunting the ferals. :yum:

There are 60 million feral cats in the United States, I imagine that they'd manage.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The difference between a house cat and a feral cat is one generation anyway.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, cats would probably adapt to the post-nuclear world better than dogs. We've really hosed up most dog breeds and they only survive because we give them care and attention; whereas cats are pretty much nearly wild still, and if they lose their homes most can adapt already. Generally speaking smaller animals tend to do better out of food shortages as well, though I think with dogs that might be the exception because pugs and terriers are so genetically messed up in other ways.

That cricket is pretty rad, I do like it and it's appropriately named. Fallout needs way more wildlife that runs away from you; generally speaking most animals in the real world will run from gunfire, even predators, and while I will accept that mega-predators who have been mutated might be more savage and attack, and that for gameplay reasons it'd be sort of unsatisfying if everything just ran away all the time, it's super obnoxious that something the size of molerat will hear gunshots and go psycho. Makes even less sense for ants and crickets I think.

Fwiw I did install the radiant animals sound mod you posted but I haven't been able to test it super well. I was in Nuka World but came back to the commonwealth to do some testing for it but it's a late-game survival run so almost all the wildlife is already dead and not respawning. The one pack of animals I ran into was mole rats but they were spawned on top of me as the game is wont to do- the only things I've run into from a distance that this mod might affect are raiders, mutants, and ghouls, but haven't noticed a difference with them and I'm not sure if the mod affects them or not.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

Yeah, cats would probably adapt to the post-nuclear world better than dogs. We've really hosed up most dog breeds and they only survive because we give them care and attention; whereas cats are pretty much nearly wild still, and if they lose their homes most can adapt already. Generally speaking smaller animals tend to do better out of food shortages as well, though I think with dogs that might be the exception because pugs and terriers are so genetically messed up in other ways.

That cricket is pretty rad, I do like it and it's appropriately named. Fallout needs way more wildlife that runs away from you; generally speaking most animals in the real world will run from gunfire, even predators, and while I will accept that mega-predators who have been mutated might be more savage and attack, and that for gameplay reasons it'd be sort of unsatisfying if everything just ran away all the time, it's super obnoxious that something the size of molerat will hear gunshots and go psycho. Makes even less sense for ants and crickets I think.

Fwiw I did install the radiant animals sound mod you posted but I haven't been able to test it super well. I was in Nuka World but came back to the commonwealth to do some testing for it but it's a late-game survival run so almost all the wildlife is already dead and not respawning. The one pack of animals I ran into was mole rats but they were spawned on top of me as the game is wont to do- the only things I've run into from a distance that this mod might affect are raiders, mutants, and ghouls, but haven't noticed a difference with them and I'm not sure if the mod affects them or not.

Interesting, as far as I know all ghouls and mutant hounds should be affected. Right now the mod touches radstags, bloatflies, stingwings, bloodbugs, all mirelurks (although only the queen is much louder), feral and raider dogs, deathclaws, yao guai, mole rats, and mutant hounds. However, so far I've mostly been editing their voice quests, and not the sounds they play as part of animations, so if you're using War of the Commonwealth or something and everything is always in combat you aren't going to hear much at the moment.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm not using War of the Commonwealth though I do have Arbitration on which makes NPCs a lot more likely to detect one another and engage in combat- the super mutants were already at the very least detecting some raiders by the time I found them. Don't think any of them had hounds with them either, so that makes sense. Sounds like the only things I've run into that would be affected are ghouls- I didn't hear a difference with them though, and they're one of the few things in my game that doesn't have anything affecting them either, so they should have worked. I've also run into Nuka-Lurks but I dunno if those should have been affected by the mod or not.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

I'm not using War of the Commonwealth though I do have Arbitration on which makes NPCs a lot more likely to detect one another and engage in combat- the super mutants were already at the very least detecting some raiders by the time I found them. Don't think any of them had hounds with them either, so that makes sense. Sounds like the only things I've run into that would be affected are ghouls- I didn't hear a difference with them though, and they're one of the few things in my game that doesn't have anything affecting them either, so they should have worked. I've also run into Nuka-Lurks but I dunno if those should have been affected by the mod or not.

If it's working correctly then you should be able to hear Feral Ghouls shrieking from around 500 feet away. It's fairly quiet, so if you're playing with music much louder than your voices you may not hear them.

A good place to demonstrate it is the Super Duper Mart. You can use the console command tdetect to prevent ghouls from spotting you, and coc superdupermart01 to fast travel to it immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr4s3QOyEWY

E: As a reminder, you have to load this mod after other sound mods, including Reverb and Ambience Overhaul. There won't be any problems, but RAO edits some of the same sound descriptors that I have.

E2: I'm messing around with some unrelated things in the CK, and it looks like NPCs are deactivated by a script when a certain distance away in urban areas. So that may be contributing to things not playing.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 22, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I used tdetect and went to the superdupermart and the ghouls were all emitting vanilla-only levels of sound. I could hear them if I got very close but they never made their "Blaaaugh" sounds and certainly nothing like in your video. I have RAO on but your mod is loaded dead last so it should overwrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

I used tdetect and went to the superdupermart and the ghouls were all emitting vanilla-only levels of sound. I could hear them if I got very close but they never made their "Blaaaugh" sounds and certainly nothing like in your video. I have RAO on but your mod is loaded dead last so it should overwrite.

Well, that's certainly interesting. It came with a .ba2, right? Maybe I zipped it wrong.

E: Okay, well it seems as though audio files don't work in .ba2 archives for whatever reason. Try this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx0wRGisCt_ZEV3cnVDdXZvLVU/view?usp=sharing

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 22, 2017