Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Now when I hand out these Realtor(r) tests remember what I taught you in class.

A, A, B, C, A, C, D

Make me proud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

EvilJoven posted:

Hey guys.

Guys.

I have an idea.

Leave Vancouver and leave the GTA.

I wish. I can't leave the GTA unless I leave my wife. Nobody else would have me, so I'm stuck until her parents finally die.

We actually tried to live in Hamilton as a compromise but the commutes killed me and the local job market there suuuuuucked. At least I made a nice stack selling that house and moving to a rental closer to work and friends.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cold on a Cob posted:

I wish. I can't leave the GTA unless I leave my wife. Nobody else would have me, so I'm stuck until her parents finally die.

We actually tried to live in Hamilton as a compromise but the commutes killed me and the local job market there suuuuuucked. At least I made a nice stack selling that house and moving to a rental closer to work and friends.

It's a shame you sold early otherwise your unrealized gains could've appreciated to infinity.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I hear ya. I tried living in Hamilton and working in Toronto for a few years and it was murder. Such a shame too because I liked Hamilton a lot more than Toronto. It's probably why I like Winnipeg so much, in a lot of ways it's Hamilton but with rivers instead of the escarpment and actually more tolerable weather.

EDIT: I also really really miss the escarpment parkland. Now that I'm heavy into biking I want to see how much better I'd be at climbing the rail trails than I was back when I was riding a size too small rigid mountain bike.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 19, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Tl;DR The revolution is coming, we can't do anything about it, something with milk crates and tarps might mitigate the damage, BUY NOW*.

:crossarms:

*buy property in New Zealand, hide from the angry mob.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/04/18/sousa-set-to-unveil-10-measures-targeting-housing-affordability.html

quote:

Sources told the Star that Sousa will release his plan as early as Thursday — a week before he tables the first balanced budget in Ontario since 2008.

Sousa, who met with federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau and Toronto Mayor John Tory on Tuesday to discuss housing issues, is to expand rent controls to include apartment units built after 1991.

It’s expected rent hikes on newer buildings would be limited to about 1.5 per cent above the inflation rate, which sat at 2 per cent in February.

A 3.5 per cent annual rent increase would be far more manageable for tenants than the doubling of rates that have been seen in some Toronto condos this year.

Queen’s Park will also impose a new levy on housing speculators, including foreign buyers, and is working with the city of Toronto on a vacancy tax to discourage investors from leaving properties empty.

Yessssssss. I hope this happens. I lust for rent control.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Didn't anyway tell you rent control is bad? It actually restrains supply because faaaarrrrt

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
If we adapt our expectations and create new solutions we can all have "decent" shelter.

brb, shapening my guillotine...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

The Butcher posted:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bnn.ca/real-estate/video/canada-s-transparency-troubles~1103561?hootPostID=052aa32fe5cdcd06d41192cfdbe7ec23

http://www.bnn.ca/real-estate/video...roubles~1103561

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's different now, we need to adjust to new realities like cramped communal apartments and being forced to work gray or black market "gigs" in the "sharing economy" in order to afford decent things. But this is all good, it just means our region is very wealthy and successful. The alternatives, like rent control or government meddling in affordable housing, would be like communism and communism led to people in shared apartments forced into side work and black market trade to get by.

Oh also because we spent all the money bailing out the banks and rich home owners because heaven forbid they have to adjust their expectations to only having "decent profits" we've totally privatized healthcare and education, but this is actually good because it's about choices now.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Did any of you ever read this series of money laundering investigations? Somehow I completely missed it.

http://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/canada-is-the-worlds-newest-tax-haven/

http://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/how-a-quebec-company-hid-millions-from-tax-collectors/

http://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/canada-signatures-for-sale/

http://projects.thestar.com/panama-papers/lessons-for-canada/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why are canadians obsessed with punishing success?

If you want to live in vancouver, maybe you should skim money off of a government funded construction project and fly to canada with the cash strapped to your body like everybody else. Why do you think you should just be handed a house for working 60 hours a week with a $50,000 education?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

Why are canadians obsessed with punishing success?

If you want to live in vancouver, maybe you should skim money off of a government funded construction project and fly to canada with the cash strapped to your body like everybody else. Why do you think you should just be handed a house for working 60 hours a week with a $50,000 education?

Or else learn to adapt your expectations and make do with "decent" shelter

remember Global Forces of Supply and Demand are more powerful and government legislation

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Remember, the rabble's guillotine is more powerful than both government regulations or development industry propaganda.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...b+Article+Links

quote:

Ontario to start collecting citizenship data on real estate buyers

Home buyers in Ontario will have to start providing details about their citizenship and residency when they complete land registration documents, according to new Ontario government regulations aimed at gathering data on foreign buyers and speculators in the real estate sector.

The new reporting requirements will take effect Monday, and will apply to anyone who buys land that contains up to six single-family residences, or when they purchase agricultural land, according to new Ontario Finance Ministry guidelines.

Buyers will have to provide information about their residency, citizenship and permanent residency status. If property is bought by a corporation, it will have to provide information about who owns or controls the corporation. The rules also require people acting as trustees or nominees for other buyers to disclose information about the beneficial owners.

The province will also require buyers to reveal whether they or their family members intend to live in a home as their principal residence, and whether the property will be leased out in whole or in part.

The information must be provided through the online Teranet system, which is used to submit land title documents for registration. The province said it will allow a transition period of two weeks from April 24 to May 5 where it will not assess penalties for any “deficiencies” in providing the new information.

The new data is intended to provide the province with more information on trends in the housing market as it ponders potential reforms to cool rapid price growth in the Greater Toronto Area.

One option under consideration is a foreign buyer’s tax, similar to the 15-per-cent tax introduced by the British Columbia government last year. Many provincial officials and private-sector economists have said there is no data on the proportion of properties being purchased by foreign buyers in the Toronto region, making it difficult to assess the potential impact of a new tax.

Toronto Mayor John Tory has also said the city is assessing a tax on vacant properties, which Vancouver is currently implementing, but first want to collect data on how many homes are being purchased and then left vacant in the city by speculators.

The province said institutions that purchase property for a mutual fund trust, real estate investment trust or specified investment flow-through trust will not have to complete the form.

hey guys we're finally gonna start enforcing cap gains tax rules lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Remember, the rabble's guillotine is more powerful than both government regulations or development industry propaganda.

how many developers have you relieved of this mortal coil

i thought so

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bill Morneau has vowed to have meetings about this.

loving lol

quote:

Canada’s justice system is what really draws the criminals, said Chris Mathers, a former RCMP officer who worked undercover on money laundering busts.
“They want a legal system that is not that strict,” said Mathers, who now runs a private consulting firm investigating financial crime.
“If you launder money in Canada and get caught, FINTRAC suspends your golf membership. No one goes to jail in Canada for even the most significant financial crimes.”
“Things you’d do 20 years for in the U.S., you might get a fine in Canada and that’s not lost on criminals,” Mathers told the Star.
“If you do go to prison, Canada is the place to be, believe me.”

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

leftist heap posted:

Bill Morneau has vowed to have meetings about this.

loving lol

There isn't a consensus among canadians whether or not they want meetings on this.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So is Toronto the last stop on the speculative mania bubble or will another region get pulled in before it pops?

We need a recession to cool things down. Every Canadian is trying to get in to the free money investment home market.

Can't rely at all on any government for policy since they've lost control and it would bring them down.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We need a recession to beat some loving humility into the Canadian population.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Can't wait until foreign investors are speculating in Regina

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Why the gently caress do I need flash player for this?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Some people on my FB found an article that doom and glooms toronto real estate and they are in a frenzy telling everyone to cash out now. They just clued in and it's pretty entertaining to watch.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://www.mises.ca/canada-flagged-for-recession-by-bis/

Take that, Australia.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

cowofwar posted:

So is Toronto the last stop on the speculative mania bubble or will another region get pulled in before it pops?

We need a recession to cool things down. Every Canadian is trying to get in to the free money investment home market.

Can't rely at all on any government for policy since they've lost control and it would bring them down.

i know it's lol Victoria but we still haven't implemented any of the poo poo Vancouver did (vacancy tax, foreign buyer tax) and most efforts to do so seem dead in the water due to our insane constellations of dumbass municipalities. Victoria proper might be on board with that poo poo but Saanich and Oak Bay are nimby and old as gently caress and would never do something as vulgar as hurt people's equity.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cmon man mises.ca?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Meanwhile since Vail bought the epic pass I'm pretty sure prices in Whistler are going to keep going up even if the rest of Canada gets recession-hit. I personally need America go to down with us.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I think most of the country is too poor and focused on survival to really give a flying gently caress about season pass prices for resorts at this point, to be quite honest.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
We just sold our Hamilton house. How dumb would it be to just sit on the cash and rent for a year in Vancouver? I figure a million mortgage is $25k a year in interest alone and we could get a 2BR for $36k a year. Market's been hot for a decade so no guarantee that it ends any time soon. A correction of 10% would pay rent for three years.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

We just sold our Hamilton house. How dumb would it be to just sit on the cash and rent for a year in Vancouver? I figure a million mortgage is $25k a year in interest alone and we could get a 2BR for $36k a year. Market's been hot for a decade so no guarantee that it ends any time soon. A correction of 10% would pay rent for three years.

You are playing at market timing at the end of the day. Detached could very well be down 10% in a year. Or maybe it keeps going exponential for another 10 years and you will have been PRICED OUT FOREVER.

So just depends what sort of risk you want to take/your finances can absorb. Do the immediate buy and know your costs upfront and don't have to sweat it, or give it a year renting and see what happens (could you still buy if it went +10% in that year?). Would it sting you financially/emotionally too much to pay 10% more? What about the stress of seeing prices potentially ratchet up month/month while you rent? How's your partner feel about those questions?

Gonna be a different picture for everyone.

FWIW, being the bear thread and all, I'd wait and rent for a year, if and only if you could still afford without hardship or emotional strife things getting more expensive while you wait. If it's all or nothing, can afford at this price but no higher, I don't think rolling the dice would be worth it and you should just strike immediately.

Plus side, taking the year will give you more time to get to know the city and scope out better where you'd like to buy as well.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 20, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Butcher posted:

These cages could easily fit two to three more people.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rime posted:

I think most of the country is too poor and focused on survival to really give a flying gently caress about season pass prices for resorts at this point, to be quite honest.
Yeah but Americans aren't and with our lovely dollar, well...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/854847734481924096

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://archive.is/XzrxI

archive link for that cmhc job just in case ;)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Holy poo poo, the rarest of Canadian unicorns, a listed salary range for a job posting.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
All government jobs have salary ranges listed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Senior housing market analyst that can't afford a house.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Senior housing market analyst that can't afford a house.

Recommendations: Make houses less expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Government jobs overpay at the low end and underpay at the high end. It explains a lot.