Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ammanas posted:

Sieges take a long time to resolve because they want you to play their truncated city battles. Which is also why their AI will besiege your settlement but never, ever initiate an assault

The AI is actually pretty smart about sieges. They'll starve you out unless they have a truly overwhelming advantage, which is a good idea considering how bad they are at sieges. Theyll rarely assault a settlement with units beyond a garrison unless theyre bringing 3 stacks. However, if they see another stack coming and threatening to break the siege then they'll be more inclined to roll the dice and assault rather then wait

It's subtle but noticeable after awhile. Watch how often theyll assault when you're 1 turn away from getting another stack there to help out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My experience with the AI is that they'll assault your town if you have nothing but a poo poo garrison that stands zero chance and the power bar is 95% in their favor. Otherwise they get locked into a cycle of sieging for a couple turns, changing their mind and lifting the siege, then deciding to siege again. Repeat forever.

It's pretty poo poo because it means that despite hundreds of hours in this game I've only ever been a part of maybe 2 good, fun siege defenses.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

Guys, I need help to fight siege battles effectively because holy gently caress they are a chore

The thought of controlling huge stacks to capture heavily fortified cities just makes me want to bring a couple more to autoresolve. Any tips?

Take a few combat lords/heroes and something with siege attacker to break in on the same turn, break the gate and have your heroes mulch everything guarding the gate, have the rest of the army just sit tight in front of the walls where they can't be hit.
It's part of why vlad and the vamps are so so good, you just enter the breach with near-immortal self healing lords and heroes that can each take on 3-4 low tier infantry units by themselves without breaking a sweat.

If you don't have any combat lords or heroes, you got to rely on better infantry.

Never use rams for anything but as a requirement to get inside, any trash tier infantry can break down a gate before the ram even reachs the gate.

I don't know why everyone has such trouble on sieges, they are fairly simple to either break through a breach with elite units or clear the walls with mass ranged.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's very strange to me how we all have such different experiences with sieges. I generally play on hard and the AI will give me defensive siege battles pretty frequently. Typically they spend a few turns building a shitton of towers and rams and then attack if they think they have any chance at all of winning. If they outnumber me by enough they will generally attack even if I have my own stack in the garrison

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yeah on legendary I've had to defend against assaults fairly often. They just take a while building all their towers and rams. It must be something they're more willing to do on higher difficulties, maybe due to the stat bonuses?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yeah on legendary I've had to defend against assaults fairly often. They just take a while building all their towers and rams. It must be something they're more willing to do on higher difficulties, maybe due to the stat bonuses?

I usually play VH but with Normal battle difficulty, the AI still assaults fortified settlements fairly often.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly, the AI shouldn't abuse the starve-you-out mechanic in sieges. It's just really, really annoying and siege defense is very fun.

Also what the gently caress is it about playing as Bretonnia that makes wood elfs besiege you and starve you out 2 turns into the siege?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

jokes posted:

Honestly, the AI shouldn't abuse the starve-you-out mechanic in sieges. It's just really, really annoying and siege defense is very fun.

Also what the gently caress is it about playing as Bretonnia that makes wood elfs besiege you and starve you out 2 turns into the siege?

Wood elves get access to a tech and a blue skill that reduces the time it takes to starve you out. It can easily get down to 2 turns

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

God they are the worst faction.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The only gameplay mod I use is a mod that forces the AI to attack after one day but the payoff is that they can make a large amount of towers and rams in that time.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
That's a good sounding mod. Link that mod so l can get it when I get home

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes please. I'm not against a large amount of towers/rams, I just don't care for being starved out of cities.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jokes posted:

God they are the worst faction.

Defensive Wood Elves mod is a must: it makes sense lore-wise, it helps with their style of play and without them being being all over the place they act as a pretty neat counter to beastmen hordes coming from the south

BTW thanks for all the tips for siege battles

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Defensive Wood Elves mod is a must: it makes sense lore-wise, it helps with their style of play and without them being being all over the place they act as a pretty neat counter to beastmen hordes coming from the south

Ever since bretonnia was added I have literally never seen the woodelves leave their forests even if they declare war, they will usually ask for peace and offer gold 10 turns later without actually having left their tree forts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
On defense, right at the beginning, have two towers concentrate their fire on one siege tower to destroy it. Depending on placement you can knock out half of them before they reach your walls. With the wall upgrades on capitals they do enough extra damage you can probably knock out all of them if you target them immediately.

I find it funny when the AI has half its forces as cavalry which just kind of derps around in one spot and rarely charges. It's rarely a threat except when they finally get in your walls and try to sneak into the control point.

When attacking its also very worthwhile to use Attack Garrison/Damage walls if available, then immediately siege. If successful, they won't be able to recover casualties /repair while you are besieging them so when you attack you'll have an edge.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah the Bret patch fixed the woodelves, they tend to stick to the forest, occasionally taking a city or two around it, and then when Chaos shows up they start confederating and tend to get real mean real fast

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I cannot seem to win against woodelves after they get 3 or 4 stacks without pause or slowmo and it actually made me loose my enchantress campaign. Although tbf I positioned my army incorrectly for how my reinforcements came in. Couldn't tell which was the city and which was my second army.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

Sieges take a long time to resolve because they want you to play their truncated city battles. Which is also why their AI will besiege your settlement but never, ever initiate an assault

Getting sieged by the AI with terrible odds are the most fun battles this game has to offer.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not letting you use vortex or other AoE spells on walls is a loving travesty because it's the one situation where you would get an enormous amount of mileage out of these types of offensive spells. And the AI could use it against you.

Dwarves gimmick is good magic resist but this rarely comes up. Lichbone pennant is super situational but annoyingly common. If Magic was a bigger threat these things would be more relevant.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

Not letting you use vortex or other AoE spells on walls is a loving travesty because it's the one situation where you would get an enormous amount of mileage out of these types of offensive spells. And the AI could use it against you.

Dwarves gimmick is good magic resist but this rarely comes up. Lichbone pennant is super situational but annoyingly common. If Magic was a bigger threat these things would be more relevant.

I've also almost lost vampire characters because you can't cast Nehek targeting someone on a wall.

So watching PartyElite's campaigns, two things come up- one, he makes a lot of use of the alt-click feature that lets you precisely place a non-grouped formation. He describes it in his tips and tricks videos except, uh, it doesn't work in my game? Anyone else have this problem?

Two, his units have visible morale bars under the HP, in addition to ammo bars. I don't have these and can't seem to turn them on?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Wood Elf behavior was already patched to make them less aggressive so I'd say that makes the mod redundant.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ShineDog posted:

That's a good sounding mod. Link that mod so l can get it when I get home

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695531075

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So watching PartyElite's campaigns, two things come up- one, he makes a lot of use of the alt-click feature that lets you precisely place a non-grouped formation. He describes it in his tips and tricks videos except, uh, it doesn't work in my game? Anyone else have this problem?

You're alt+left-clicking (and holding) after making locked groups, right?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Panfilo posted:

You can use explosion spells (like viletide) on walls and it's brutal.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Panfilo posted:

We don't need wind of death being even better.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I haven't had the wood elves be overly aggressive in my last few campaigns. They pretty much just keep to themselves with the occasional Brettonian slapfight. I've also seen them sending armies up north to fight chaos and such.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So has anybody had a corrupted save problem? I just lost 8 turns of a Volkmar campaign because the game crashes everytime it tries to load either my save or the last autosave.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I've never had this problem. I've also never used mods so that might be the issue.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't heroes all deal magical damage? So a lichbone pennant on your hero would give you 25% resistance to enemy heroes without an armor slot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do not believe all heroes do magic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

habituallyred posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't heroes all deal magical damage? So a lichbone pennant on your hero would give you 25% resistance to enemy heroes without an armor slot.

No, very few heroes do magical damage. Most are normal.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Stirland confederated on turn 2 and I should not have agreed.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Third World Reggin posted:

The Legitimacy mod for the empire is pretty good. I have the conqueror anywhere mod in as well, the goblins came down and took Nuln. I went and took it from them. I got a pop up letting me know that the former ruler wants it back and you can either give it back, refounding that group, or have everyone hate you for a few turns and lose legitimacy.

The Legitimacy mod is great. Karl Franz is supposed to be the greatest statesman of the old world, and this mod let's you do that. I kept the Skull Smashers around just so I could farm legitimacy points (and general experience). The electors love it when you pummel green skins!

I confederated with Stirland, which was a big legitimacy bonus. Then on the next turn, I kicked the Vapmires out of Stirland's little village. I gave the village back to Stirland and got a huge bonus to legitimacy. Plus I got Stirland back on the map for trade and an additional ally's army. All of that pushed legitimacy over 175 points. You get a +80 diplomacy bonus with all empire factions. Then I proceeded to milk over 15k in diplomacy from all the Empire factions on the next turn.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 20, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The Legitimacy mod is great. Karl Franz is supposed to be the greatest statesman of the old world, and this mod let's you do that. I kept the Skull Smashers around just so I could farm legitimacy points. The electors love it when you pummel green skins!

The legitimacy gets broken in a good way if you push it over 175 points. You get a +80 diplomacy bonus with all empire factions. With that high of a bonus, you can just milk money from the whole Empire through diplomacy.

Agreed. It's also nice to give back cities the Vampire counts took from them and let them manage their own poo poo because you can always confederate at your leisure (vs taking the legitimacy hit by yanking it from them). You have a much more united empire without necessarily having to conquer or confederate it in the process.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Panfilo posted:

Agreed. It's also nice to give back cities the Vampire counts took from them and let them manage their own poo poo because you can always confederate at your leisure (vs taking the legitimacy hit by yanking it from them). You have a much more united empire without necessarily having to conquer or confederate it in the process.

Yeah, you can actually keep the Empire together instead of everything devolving into a constant civil war.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Panfilo posted:

How exactly would you animated a vortex spell traveling from ground to wall to ground as it moves? That plus how deeply op they'd be

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Ammanas posted:

How exactly would you animated a vortex spell traveling from ground to wall to ground as it moves? That plus how deeply op they'd be

The same way flying units change elevation? Just make abundantly sure that the circle on the ground indicating the AoE is visible even if it looks stretched.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it would be horrifyingly, freakishly OP, i think is the main concern

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Delacroix posted:

The same way flying units change elevation? Just make abundantly sure that the circle on the ground indicating the AoE is visible even if it looks stretched.

Just lol at a tornado of fire dropping 50 feet off a parapet. Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
It would be neat if there was middle ground between going astray hitting nothing for the majority of the spell and carving a path through your own lines. Maybe killing models without taking off 4000 hp off the impacted units.

As it is, the only time the vortices seems to work is if I use flaming skull, wind of death and pit of shades which don't scatter at all, or if my units holding the enemy main force are about to break so they run away from the vortex when it decides to commit friendly fire (all the time). I'm usually better off spending the magic on something else.

• Locked thread