Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My opinion of picture quality is better than your opinion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

My opinion of picture quality is better than your opinion!

Uh, there absolutely are some objective specs you can compare with cameras. Like, a lower f-stop setting objectively lets in more light.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SinineSiil posted:

Android lock screen has voice assist and camera buttons in the bottom, can those be turned off somehow?

No, but you can install a different lock screen app.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, there absolutely are some objective specs you can compare with cameras. Like, a lower f-stop setting objectively lets in more light.

I know, I just like yelling on the internet.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

MMD3 posted:

anybody have a line on well-priced oem replacement screens for me? :cry:

Have you tried contacting Samsung? I read somewhere that they ask around 250$ for the repair. If that price is accurate, replacing the assembly yourself doesn't make sense as it would cost just as much as the official repair and there's no telling how waterproofed the phone would be afterwards.

Replacing just the screen, on the other hand, makes total sense if you like to tinker with stuff and are conscious that you'll probably (but maybe not!) break the display when separating the glass.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

My Verizon Pixel will regularly (at least once a day) freeze with the screen on while I'm doing using it. I can hold down the power button to force it to reboot or if I'm patient for ~5 minutes sometimes it'll go back to normal like nothing happened, and other times it'll reboot on its own.

Has anyone else experienced this? I would like to avoid a factory reset, which is what Google suggested when I contacted them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can try running it in safe mode if a factory reset is out of the picture. If it's still under warranty with Verizon, maybe go through them and get them to swap it out.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I recently got a replacement samsung s7 edge shipped to me through some best buy insurance I paid for when I bought the phone. I swapped sim cards and was trying to move over all of my stuff when I ran into problems using the new phone with the wifi at work. My old busted rear end phone and seemingly every other phone in the office can use this wifi network fine but for some reason my new phone connects with high signal strength but times out trying to do practically anything. To make things more confusing it works great at home on my home wifi. I've tried every possible trick I could google up, including using dev mode to enable some old android network settings and doing a factory reset but nothing seems help the problem. 

Any other suggestions? I'm beyond frustrated and I'm ready to throw this thing through a wall. The only other odd thing is that whether on my home wifi or 4g the new phone doesn't think it needs to do a system update even though it's still on android 6.0 and my old phone updated to 7.0 a few weeks back.  

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

adebisi lives posted:

Any other suggestions? I'm beyond frustrated and I'm ready to throw this thing through a wall. The only other odd thing is that whether on my home wifi or 4g the new phone doesn't think it needs to do a system update even though it's still on android 6.0 and my old phone updated to 7.0 a few weeks back.  
I would install Samsung Smart Switch for PC and try installing the software update through there, then see if the issue persists.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

datajosh posted:

I would install Samsung Smart Switch for PC and try installing the software update through there, then see if the issue persists.

I thought updates were more of a carrier thing than manufacturer?

Sarnsung SS certainly didn't offer to update my poor phone it actually kind of hosed up the default drivers Windows was using without issue so now the phone randomly loses file transfer abilities when plugged in even though it's been uninstalled from my laptop and phone.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Moey posted:

I know, I just like yelling on the internet.

Me too, kid. Me too. :clint:

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

datajosh posted:

I installed android 7.0 as you suggested but I'm still having the same problem:

http://imgur.com/a/DV9Rp

an older screenshot when I tried to use a wifi diagnostic app:

http://i.imgur.com/poYiqfD.png

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

syscall girl posted:

I thought updates were more of a carrier thing than manufacturer?

Sarnsung SS certainly didn't offer to update my poor phone it actually kind of hosed up the default drivers Windows was using without issue so now the phone randomly loses file transfer abilities when plugged in even though it's been uninstalled from my laptop and phone.
It is but since he said it was a warranty replacement and his previous phone already had 7.0, I figured SS would have it.

adebisi lives posted:

That is odd. Personally, I can't think of anything that you haven't already tried now.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

adebisi lives posted:

http://imgur.com/a/DV9Rp

an older screenshot when I tried to use a wifi diagnostic app:

http://i.imgur.com/poYiqfD.png

Unfortunately it sounds like you may need to get another replacement.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

nimper posted:

Unfortunately it sounds like you may need to get another replacement.

Those geek boys at worst buy screwed me again. Thanks for the input gents.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

SinineSiil posted:

Oneplus 3 has a really really weak vibration motor, do most new phones have it that weak? Short impulses feel like slight tickle in hand and even when it's on hard table I can barely hear it from other room. My old HTC One Mini and dumbphones preceding it had way stronger vibration.
I will hate going back to using ringtones because of this stupid shortcoming.

Another negative thing I noticed was how dim the backside led is, also compared to HTC One, but this doesn't really matter because it's still perfectly usable.

I've had a similar experience with my 3t. I kind of like it though because the 2nd Gen moto e I was using before had the most violent vibration motor I've ever seen. That said I still miss texts and stuff sometimes because of the weak vibration.

Seriously people would ask me to switch it off vibrate if it was going off on a table or something.

The back led doesn't matter to me because I carry a small AAA flashlight around.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SinineSiil posted:

Android lock screen has voice assist and camera buttons in the bottom, can those be turned off somehow?

On Android O, yes.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
EDIT: i'm an idiot rofl

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 20, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Godinster posted:

haha holy poo poo Chara is diving up a storm this series

Edit: I guess he just fell over there because he's old

agreed

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

haha holy poo poo Chara is diving up a storm this series

Edit: I guess he just fell over there because he's old

How is that different from the Bruins in any other series?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Where am I

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Everyone complains about the same old derails but I'm not sure the new derails are better.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
hahaha gently caress me

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm posting with an S8 and it's pretty

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Anyone post this yet? Moto G5 Plus can't call 911 on Verizon with VoLTE enabled. Disable "enhanced LTE" if you're using the phone on Verizon.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm posting with an S8 and it's pretty

My S8+ is scheduled to arrive tomorrow but I might not be home in time and I'll have to wait til Friday which would be the worst thing to happened to anyone on Earth in at least a year :ohdear:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

More shipping updates please

Also if you really care that much have UPS or FedEx hold at a facility so you can swing by to pick it up

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My S8 arrived today, but I wasn't at home to pick it up. I had checked the tracking number yesterday night and it hadn't even been picked up by UPS yet. But apparently they super overnighted it as they tried to deliver while I was at the office today. :( And they won't attempt to deliver it again. They'll instead deliver it to some UPS drop-off store tomorrow and I have to pick it up there. Oh well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blue Train posted:

I advocate that everyone get some kind of wearable, they are good

I think wearables are loving stupid and too expensive for what they are

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think wearables are loving stupid and too expensive for what they are

What other kinds of things are you wrong about?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Smartwatches are so dumb that even the CEO of a company that makes them thinks they are dumb

GPS/fitness wearables are pretty cool though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

What other kinds of things are you wrong about?

Being on the bleeding edge of this doesn't make you cool.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
100+ dollars for a wrist-mounted notification screen seems a bit much, even if it can tell you you're out of shape at the same time...

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have a fitbit blaze. That is about as much money as I'm willing to spend on a wearable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

GPS/fitness wearables are pretty cool though

Yeah, the GPS not so much but it's way easier to keep going to the gym when there's an actual number that's going up when I work out. I mean all the other feel good intangibles are there, I sleep better, feel better, eat less crap etc but getting hooked on a dumbass calorimeter even if it's hilariously inaccurate has done wonders for just keeping me honest to myself more than anything.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I wear a watch I don't have to charge.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The new Play Store "My Apps" screen layout is rolling out more widely

I just got this today. Very Apple like.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My S8+ is sitting in Denver and I have to catch a flight so early tomorrow that there's no way for me to get it. Looks like I'll be a late adopter on Tuesday. Probably late enough that it's worth considering selling it to prepare for the Pixel 2

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Real watches are classy, smart watches are pointless and ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

My refurbished Pixel XL came today, you guys. Really appreciate everyone's guidance during this whole thing.

The money is whatever, if the refurb works - gently caress it.

But the most embarrassing loving bullshit turd-cherry on the top of this crappy experience sundae is the fact that the survey card included in the box misspells the word "dissatisfied." What a loving piss joke this whole process has been.