Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

One of the below;

1.) Oh shoot that guy is small I bet I can eat him
2.) Oh shoot that guy is big I better run
3.) Oh shoot that guy is big but harmless I better pick at his scraps

Y'know, fish things.

pretty human-like then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

pretty human-like then.

We are kindred, belike two eyes which gaze upon the other.

Fear not, the ocean, my friend. And let the fish begin.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NGDBSS posted:

Have you read China Mieville's The Scar? It doesn't feature quite the meeting you're referring to (fish + giant sea monster), but there are still a few scenes of stark astonishment when some of the characters encounter an avanc. When it first arrives, one man is daunted by the beat of "a heart the size of a cathedral", given that the beast is on the order of miles long. And later when some scientists descend to check up on it, they initially are confused by their depth readings contrasting with their ocean-floor surroundings until they realize that they're instead just above a creature so large that it supports its own ecosystem.

So what I'm saying is that China Mieville is rad, even if his writing style is at times ornate. (See my avatar for an excerpt from another of his books.) And as for meeting Cthulhu, it depends on how big that monster is. At some point Cthulhu ceases to be a monster and instead becomes part of the local geography, though perhaps an especially volatile part thereof.

drat, that sounds pretty cool.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

:whitewater:

lol at people thinking this might be a Bloodborne sequel

Is April Fool's Day on a different day in Japan, or is that actual concept art that anyone in the world is supposed to take seriously?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles and how it had those really intricately detailed and stylized well modeled character bodies/armaments with goofy anime bobbleheads plopped right on top like they don't look incredibly out of place.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

:whitewater:

lol at people thinking this might be a Bloodborne sequel

I've never had my interest in a game killed so quickly lol

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That game turned out to be really good though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That game turned out to be really good though

Yes, I was just saying what it reminded me of. I'm excited for more Souls esque gameplay no matter what the source so I hope they pull it off well.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

I've never had my interest in a game killed so quickly lol

The teaser was clearly anime though, I don't know why anyone would expect the game not to be :confused:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Computer posted:

The teaser was clearly anime though, I don't know why anyone would expect the game not to be :confused:

the teaser was stylized as opposed to generic "How to draw anime 101" art

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you kill Rosaria to get her soul or does stupid Leonhardt have to be the one to do it?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you kill Rosaria to get her soul or does stupid Leonhardt have to be the one to do it?

Has to be Leonhardt. I've tried it before.

Luckily his quest is short if you're already an invader and have the red-eye.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

https://twitter.com/ZullieTheWitch/status/854716838898528257

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

funktopus posted:

Is April Fool's Day on a different day in Japan, or is that actual concept art that anyone in the world is supposed to take seriously?

I think it's a render, so the game might actually look like that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How does the chloranthy ring stack with other stamina buffs? Does wearing the chloranthy ring in combination with green blossom and/or the grass crest shield?

Because I'm not seeing it and I'm wondering if I miss something.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I seem to remember talking about those animations with someone back when DS3 first came out.

If I recall, I believe the consensus me and the other person had was that they don't matter, because the animation system is like DS1, so there is a reasonable shot that it won't show up on the other end (what's the point of a fancy gesture if no one else can see it?).

Were this Superior Game Dark Souls II, making the game play the other animation would show on the other end most of the time.

But my memory may be playing tricks on me. Either way we never bothered checking.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 19, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

CJacobs posted:

drat, that sounds pretty cool.

China Mieville has some really interesting settings and comes up with a lot of creative stuff, but tends to vanish up his own rear end in my opinion. Mainly towards the endings.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

China Mieville has some really interesting settings and comes up with a lot of creative stuff, but tends to vanish up his own rear end in my opinion. Mainly towards the endings.

He works well in relatively small doses. I read one book of his a year or so.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao at anyone who doesn't want to be a mall goth cybervampire in code vein

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

The Skeleton King posted:

To me dark souls lore is just the player showing up very late to a party. poo poo went downhill centuries ago and when you arrive everyone is dead or crazy. Economy is in the shitter, undead are working without pay, towns falling into sinkholes, you got rats in people's attics and nobody's home to fix it. The dead can't afford graves, living in the streets instead, killing people and taking their souls. They got demons running the asylum, and people are climbing around on the rafters at the cathedrals.

Who's gonna fix this? Who's gonna make Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric great again? The lords abandoned their thrones, the gods are nowhere to be found and kill anyone who finds them, the pope is a scary man who's selling out to the poop-lord. It's up to you I guess?

Or in other words: "I don't know what's going on here, but I'm gonna kill poo poo and take souls until I figure something out."

Followed by many deaths. Many, many deaths.

At least lothric has the high wall

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Whoa chaos and dark scaling is good now. I'm getting +145 on my +6 astora greatsword with 32/9

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Man trying Freide solo sure is completely breaking the camera.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Whoa chaos and dark scaling is good now. I'm getting +145 on my +6 astora greatsword with 32/9

Too bad you can't get those infusions until near the end of the game. Dark Souls 3!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

Too bad you can't get those infusions until near the end of the game. Dark Souls 3!

Unless you know a cool dude who is willing to drop an infused item for you.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Have a friend gift you one.

Nuebot posted:

Unless you know a cool dude who is willing to drop an infused item for you.

:hifive:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lmao no, friendship is for nerds :colbert:

Are spellcaster runs Fun & Cool now with the changes, though? My problem with spellcasting in the Souls games has always been that it's cumbersome to use and often doesn't offer much benefit (aka. spells deals less than a couple of (easier, safer) R1's, buffed weapon on spellcaster deals the same damage as non-buffed weapon on STR/DEX user). I guess it might still be fun for the variety?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Your Computer posted:

Still better than Dark Souls 1.

Your Computer posted:

Are spellcaster runs Fun & Cool now with the changes, though? My problem with spellcasting in the Souls games has always been that it's cumbersome to use and often doesn't offer much benefit (aka. spells deals less than a couple of (easier, safer) R1's, buffed weapon on spellcaster deals the same damage as non-buffed weapon on STR/DEX user). I guess it might still be fun for the variety?

I personally find the most fun way to play a spellcaster is to forget that the fast and cheap ranged spells exist, use your weapon for killing mooks, and just pack high impact spells to use for bosses/dangerous enemies/times when you'd use a bow.

hampig fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 20, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Trying Midir for the first time on NG4 was not a great idea.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
He has way too much HP no matter what NG you fight him on.

hampig posted:

Still better than Dark Souls 1.

Its so simple :shepface:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I shouldn't complain, I don't think I've ever done a run with anything other than +15 in DS1 and even in DS2 I only infused on a couple of runs (I feel like most infusions were just damage nerfs in that game?) :madmax:

hampig posted:

I personally find the most fun way to play a spellcaster is to forget that the fast and cheap ranged spells exist, use your weapon for killing mooks, and just pack high impact spells to use for bosses/dangerous enemies/times when you'd use a bow.
This doesn't sound too bad, really. It also reminds me, is there a chart or something of boss elemental weaknesses? I have no idea what bosses or monsters are strong, weak or immune to what elements or ailments in this game.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if you think dark souls upgrades are complicated you should check demons souls.

Your Computer posted:

Maybe I shouldn't complain, I don't think I've ever done a run with anything other than +15 in DS1 and even in DS2 I only infused on a couple of runs (I feel like most infusions were just damage nerfs in that game?) :madmax:

This doesn't sound too bad, really. It also reminds me, is there a chart or something of boss elemental weaknesses? I have no idea what bosses or monsters are strong, weak or immune to what elements or ailments in this game.

wikis usually have boss weaknesses.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

if you think dark souls upgrades are complicated you should check demons souls.

I've never had the chance to play it myself, but I know all about the upgrade system (and what a system it is) since I actually got interested in Dark Souls after watching a Let's Play of Demon's Souls. I wanted to play it really badly, so I remember being super excited when Dark Souls released on PC :dance:

I still have pictures from my first ever run of Dark Souls. Started as a Pyromancer and used a Falchion that I eventually upgraded to Quelaag's Furysword. I finished the game at level 69, but other than having a decent amount of dex my stats were all over the place. I definitely had no idea how soft Humanity worked. :allears:

Scarecrow fashion! I switched out some stuff, but I used the Balder chestpiece and the Mask of the Sealer throughout the entire game. Switched to and used the Bloodshield for the rest of the game once I got it. What can I say, I always cared more about how my character looked than my stats! :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ds1's system was practically a godsend compared to demons souls. gotta love arbitrary upgrade levels being required to upgrade specific weapons to boss weapons and the like, with you being mostly screwed if you accidentally level past those thresholds

that said it was a fun time

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the casting speed difference between 40 and 50 dex noticeable at all?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I only started having 30 some int when I got to Lorthic castle anyway. Casting stat scaling is really top heavy.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

CURSE-ROTTED GREATWOOD
Ever since its establishment, all manner of curses have managed to seep into the Undead Settlement. The worst of them were sealed away inside a spirit tree, but eventually the curses took their toll.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I've never enjoyed pure spellcasters that much. It is powerful, but tends to fall a little flatter on DLC bosses. That said, of the spellcaster builds in DS3, I probably had the most fun with onyx blade pyro. It really is a solid weapon, and you can even get it really early with a bit of a jog and some cliff cheesing.

Personally, my favorite way to play souls games is big strength, big vigor, big endurance, and big vitality. Simple, but effective. Wield huge weapons! Wear huge armor! Have a fuckton of hp! Smash things! In the original dark souls, I enjoyed rolling with the black iron armor, the BKGA, and artorius's greatshield. Needless to say, Ledo's fuckoff hammer is my favorite weapon of the new DLC.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I really loved the Lapp questline. I knew exactly who it was, but he was so polite I wanted to help him. He even gave me his armor at the end!

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
What do you guys infuse your basic long swords with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES.

Fire's good.