Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Glimm posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed both but if I had to pick one I'd go with Forever War.

I just got em both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

I have to admit that I'm only about a third of the way through it so far, but so far Carol Dibbell's "The Only Ones" has been absolutely amazing, and wonderfully narrated.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone listened to the Her Royal Spyness series? I picked up the first book thinking it'd be a fairly lightweight book to listen to while doing other work but so far the meat of the book seems to basically exist just to give the author an excuse to prop up and perpetuate the tropey characters and theme which is interesting but way to overdone. I really like the idea of the theme if there ever is any actual spying or if the author tones down the excessive and pointless world/character building in favor of an actual story and it'd probably be passable in novel form where I could skip past the dry parts repeated three times over but if it doesn't get any better I'd rather just ditch it now than spending another few hours confirming that.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nessin posted:

Anyone listened to the Her Royal Spyness series? I picked up the first book thinking it'd be a fairly lightweight book to listen to while doing other work but so far the meat of the book seems to basically exist just to give the author an excuse to prop up and perpetuate the tropey characters and theme which is interesting but way to overdone. I really like the idea of the theme if there ever is any actual spying or if the author tones down the excessive and pointless world/character building in favor of an actual story and it'd probably be passable in novel form where I could skip past the dry parts repeated three times over but if it doesn't get any better I'd rather just ditch it now than spending another few hours confirming that.

It's hard to believe that a series with a title like that would be subpar

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm the odd duck who's always disappointed by Gaiman's books. The concepts are always great, but the executions are never as good as the ideas. I'll take Terry Pratchett any day.

:( :respek: :(

You are not alone. Honestly, Sandman still stands as one of my favorite reads of all time, but... Gaiman kinda has Tim Burton syndrome. His protagonists tend to have goofy goth names, and the stories seem to want to be something more profound than they are. For whatever reason, that worked in the comics, but it falls flat in novel form. I think the only satisfying novel I've read that he was involved with was Good Omens, where his Spooky Trousers tendency toward pretense was mitigated by Pratchett's anarchic humor.

Anyway.

I'm currently enjoying Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces, read by Arthur Morey , John Lee , and Susan Denaker. They all take turns reading in the auctorial voice, so that can get confusing, but John Lee does an especially great job. He's very well-suited to both Campbell's academic tone and to the snippets of myth and fairy tale included in the book.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

nessin posted:

Hello fellow cosy and GA mysteries reader here. I've read a few of these and they are ok for a light read, innofencive follow the formula kind of thing, I wouldn't waste a credit on a royal spyness when the books are cheap. A lot of these cozys are just copying the queen of the genre - Elizabeth Peters' Amelia peabody books narrated by Barbara Rosenblat, which are genuinely brilliant. James Anderson's trilogy starting with The affair of the bloodstained egg cozy are also fantastic. I would return that book and spend your credit on crocodile on the sandbank - Peabody books have to be read in order as we follow the same family through 30 years.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

coyo7e posted:

iirc you need to get the anniversary edition for the full cast reading.

Yeah, I just checked my Audible app, and it's the "Tenth Anniversary Edition" with "The author's preferred text." I honestly cannot recall any differences from the paperback I read years ago and the audiobook "re-read" I did in preparation for the the TV series that comes out soon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eat This Glob posted:

Yeah, I just checked my Audible app, and it's the "Tenth Anniversary Edition" with "The author's preferred text." I honestly cannot recall any differences from the paperback I read years ago and the audiobook "re-read" I did in preparation for the the TV series that comes out soon.

Well, it also claims to be "Unabridged" so there's some confusion here.

Aha, here we go:

quote:

The preferred edit of American Gods, meanwhile, restored large swaths of text that had been cut for brevity.

So in this case "Author's Preferred Text" means "What I wanted to publish before my editor got their hands on it".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

precision posted:

So in this case "Author's Preferred Text" means "What I wanted to publish before my editor got their hands on it".

"All the good naughty bits left in" :pervert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

precision posted:

I can only think of one time where that's worked out in the reader's favor: The Stand. Otherwise, the editor has always been right.

I'm the rare writer who wants an editor who says "no this is dumb."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have often asked my editor to specifically remove certain scenes that they thought were good and I didn't.

e: Also, when I think American Gods, the first thing I definitely think is "I wish that book had been longer". To be fair, I haven't noticed any bad extra stuff yet, but I'm still only about 4 out of 19 hours into the audioplay thing

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Are there any good Lovecraft audiobooks available?

There's the Omnibus volumes in the Audible store, but I don't recognize the narrator (Finn J.D. John?), so I'm leary about picking them up.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 1, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Devorum posted:

There's the Omnibus volumes in the Audible store, but I don't recognize the narrator (Finn J.D. John?), so I'm leary about picking them up.

The Jeffrey Combs version of Herbert West: Reanimator is amazing, but uh, good luck finding it legally.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Devorum posted:

Most people consider Wayne June to be the definitive narrator for Lovecraft. The readings done for the H.P Lovecraft Literary Podcast are also very good (and free).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher is $4 on Audible today for the daily deal - is it worth the price of a latte?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I read the book and I would say it's worth 50p in a charity shop. The story is interesting because it's true, but it drags and drags with lots of repetition, book only needs to be 200 pages maximum, but it's 400 pages. If I could have my time back I would have looked at the wiki instead. The maul and the pear tree by P.D James is also true and has much better writing. .

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I just finished 'the thousand autumns of jacob de zoet' by David Mitchell and enjoyed it a lot.
If anybody knows something in a similar vein, I would be thankful for any recommendations.
I'll give number9dream a try, but I don't know if it's Mitchell's writing I'm after, or just another story set in Japan.
His other novels re supposed to be rather different.
Some books I really liked were 'people who eat darkness' by Richard Lloyd Parry, based on a true story.
And 'Out' by natsuo Kirino, a book that I only later found out to be pretty old already.
having been to Japan a lot, I like stories about the real day to day people who get mixed up in an adventure/drama more than anything else I guess.
No matter which period the story is set in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nevermind. It's discounted because I bought the Kindle edition.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

mrfart posted:

I just finished 'the thousand autumns of jacob de zoet' by David Mitchell and enjoyed it a lot.
If anybody knows something in a similar vein, I would be thankful for any recommendations.
I'll give number9dream a try, but I don't know if it's Mitchell's writing I'm after, or just another story set in Japan.
His other novels re supposed to be rather different.
Some books I really liked were 'people who eat darkness' by Richard Lloyd Parry, based on a true story.
And 'Out' by natsuo Kirino, a book that I only later found out to be pretty old already.
having been to Japan a lot, I like stories about the real day to day people who get mixed up in an adventure/drama more than anything else I guess.
No matter which period the story is set in.

The Bone Clocks is excellently narrated and gives a whole new context to Jacob De Zoet. I quite enjoyed Bone Clocks but didn't really get on with Jacob De Zoet so ymmv

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Tea Bone posted:

The Bone Clocks is excellently narrated and gives a whole new context to Jacob De Zoet. I quite enjoyed Bone Clocks but didn't really get on with Jacob De Zoet so ymmv

Thanks, I might listen to it. But for now I had my David Mitchell fill since finishing number9dream.
It's an OK book, but a bit too much Murakami fanfiction.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just finished The Shining narrated by Campbell Scott. I'm normally finally with anything Horror but wow that was actually terrifying.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
here's something to look forward to http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-X-Files-Cold-Cases-Audiobook/B06Y46VB4L

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Length not yet known.

Probably going to be a mere 6-hour audiobook.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Audible UK has 72 hours of Steven Fry reading the complete Sherlock Holmes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Audible UK has 72 hours of Steven Fry reading the complete Sherlock Holmes.
As does Audible in the US.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It was worth the 1 credit I spent on it too, a hundred times over.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

mystes posted:

As does Audible in the US.

Not quite, the US version removes The Casebook of SH since most of the stories in it aren't public domain here. It's also not labeled The Definitive Collection as in the UK version

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Just finished Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama.

I'm not sure what to think of it.
It feels like a harcore political bureaucratic version of the Wire at times. This is no chopstick Hercules Poirot.
And it moves slow, the bloody thing takes 24 hours. The narrator was not my cup of tea, but in the end it was an intriguing story with deeply damaged characters that leaves you in a void.
And probably with a better understanding of workings of the Japanese police internal affairs than the average Japanese cop.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Peas and Rice posted:

It was worth the 1 credit I spent on it too, a hundred times over.

I came to the thread to see if there was anything I should drop my credit on. This one sounds like a winner.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Just finished the Lies of Locke Lamorra after somebody recommended it a few pages back. Very fun book and one of the best narrators that I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.
Every character has an immediately recognizable and distinct voice and the story takes place in a fantastic setting.

If you like fantasy you owe it to yourself to listen to this book.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I concur on Locke Lamora. Just finished it a few days ago. Not only does the narrator do a good job of giving everyone a distinctive voice, some of them get multiple accents! When they're running a con while posing as merchants from X or Y fantasyland, the narrator just rolls with it and gives people different diction.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Eezee posted:

Just finished the Lies of Locke Lamorra after somebody recommended it a few pages back. Very fun book and one of the best narrators that I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.
Every character has an immediately recognizable and distinct voice and the story takes place in a fantastic setting.

If you like fantasy you owe it to yourself to listen to this book.

The only bummer is that now I have to wait for the next in the series.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ElGroucho posted:

The only bummer is that now I have to wait for the next in the series.

The next two aren't quite as good as the first, and he's not the most prolific writer so there may be a wait before we get #4. Still - they're really good and feel like a great breath of fresh air as fantasy goes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Locke Lamorra: High Seas Outlaw. I'm hoping book three is better, but I haven't played it beyond the one lady's job proposition.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I felt the third book was much better than the second, but still not quite as good as the first. Take from that what you will.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Any suggestions for Neil Gaiman-esque magical realism that isn't super twee?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

precision posted:

Last Call by Tim Powers. If you haven't read it, buckle up.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Peas and Rice posted:

Last Call by Tim Powers. If you haven't read it, buckle up.

Seconding this along with virtually everything else Tim Powers has done, especially Declare and The Stress of Her Regard. Also highly recommended: The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins, which is Gaiman-y as hell. It starts with a woman's investigation into the disappearance of her cruel and mysterious adoptive father, who may or may not be God, and gets substantially weirder from there.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

precision posted:

Maybe the stuff by Haruki Murakami? I liked Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World but haven't read anything else by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Lewis Black audible channel is great, but you can't queue the episodes.