Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jng2058 posted:

I'll admit it looked surprisingly decent, but did they have to give her a literal light dagger? Seems a bit on the nose, what with Cloak's cloak and all. <grumble-grumble>, get off my lawn, etc. :colbert:

That is literally her power.

Literally.

Man why does Spider-Man shoot webs. And have a spider on his suit. Isn't that a bit too on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jng2058 posted:

I'll admit it looked surprisingly decent, but did they have to give her a literal light dagger? Seems a bit on the nose, what with Cloak's cloak and all. <grumble-grumble>, get off my lawn, etc. :colbert:

But that's her power?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Maybe he's thinking the show isn't based on the comic but instead the old 80s movie with Dabney Coleman.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, it was more that it was always portrayed as energy bolts as opposed to something solid you hold like a big crystal. It was a minor complaint about one shot that struck me as off, is all. :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not a consistent element. It's been both.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, I'll bow to the thread's greater depth of Cloak & Dagger geekery.

Still don't like the big glowy crystal, though. :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

All I ever knew of C&D was when they showed up for a couple of pages in that Spiderman Maximum Carnage thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Bruceski posted:

All I ever knew of C&D was when they showed up for a couple of pages in that Spiderman Maximum Carnage thing.

Almost literally the same for me. I think I remember something about Cloak teleporting some people during some other story and someone getting sick? That might have been a cartoon though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Longbaugh01 posted:

That Krypton trailer seems to have been taken down at a bunch of places, why would that be? Also, it'll probably suck and I'm getting strong Caprica flashbacks.

Now that Cloak And Dagger trailer seems a bit too teen drama, but it got me interested.

Krypton tailer was taken down because it actually hasn't been picked up yet, so they jumped the gun.

Cloak and Dagger looks good. I loved the last shot with the cloak waving.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I didn't see any tit windows in that trailer, I dunno if I can get onboard.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, you see Tyrone's boobs.

Yeah the trailer was pretty good! Very YA romance, but not necessarily in a bad way. That panning shot of that...heh...cloak at the end was real spiffy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I just hope it finds a decent balance with the YA romance stuff and the everything else.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I hope Blink has her bag of wacky crystal darts in Gifted, so we can have a glowy weapon-off among the Marvel TV heroines.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm finally getting caught up on all my marvel shows. I left off around episode 8 of season 3 for SHIELD, is it worth finishing or should I skip right to S4?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Bruceski posted:

All I know of C&D is when they showed up on the Runaways

All in all, I guessing from the trailer this series will lean heavily into Teenage Issues and have only a dash of superpowers once in a while to spice things up. Not exactly my thing, maybe if it pops up on Netflix(But then again it'll be 2019 already)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm finally getting caught up on all my marvel shows. I left off around episode 8 of season 3 for SHIELD, is it worth finishing or should I skip right to S4?

It's good.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bruceski posted:

ToastyPotato posted:

Almost literally the same for me.

Me too! I was actually going to originally mention that, but I thought it might be an embarrassing admission in BSS.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Retro Futurist posted:

It's definitely worth watching, but if you skip it you'll only miss one major recurring plot point that carries over into season 4.

They do introduce two fairly important characters in the back half of season 3, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Okay, that Krypton trailer doesn't look at all like the poo poo I expected. And if they put that much effort into costumes and sets I guess it's not going to time/space jump to 50's Smallville in the second half of the pilot.

It's Syfy Channel they, somehow, actually have enough budget to do effects heavy shows now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Looking at that New Warriors casting call... was Debrii gay in the Skottie Young book? No issue if not, just wondering if this is Freeform adding diversity or using existing elements to get there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

It's Syfy Channel they, somehow, actually have enough budget to do effects heavy shows now.

Well, some of their shows have good effects. Dark Matter, Killjoys and the Magicians still look like 90's shows.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Gaz-L posted:

Looking at that New Warriors casting call... was Debrii gay in the Skottie Young book? No issue if not, just wondering if this is Freeform adding diversity or using existing elements to get there.

I don't think it came up in her original New Warriors run mostly because it was short and she was only in like half of it. Maybe it's mentioned during the Initiative or something.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 20, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Welp, WGA just voted to strike so time for all our favorite shows to be ruined and never bounce back.

e: I misread the tweet, they are still voting and only very likely to authorize a strike so prepare for the very likely possibility of the next season of SHIELD turning into BSG s4. The vote is final on Monday.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey they're already doing Fringe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's really out of character for comic book related media to do alternate dimension What-If storylines. Stay in your lane comic books!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

zoux posted:

Welp, WGA just voted to strike so time for all our favorite shows to be ruined and never bounce back.

e: I misread the tweet, they are still voting and only very likely to authorize a strike so prepare for the very likely possibility of the next season of SHIELD turning into BSG s4. The vote is final on Monday.

I know that these strikes can impact shows but why does it mean they're ruined?

Also, the promo for the last 5 episodes of Arrow has Manu Bennett's voice in it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

omg chael crash posted:

It did some pretty bad damage last time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

I'm just going by what happened last time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I haven't been following this at all.

Last time was over digital distribution royalties.

What are they potentially striking on this time?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They want studios to raise wages and help with pension funds that aren't actuarially sound.

As usual Vox has an explainer.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
If they're looking for stable pensions then they might as well give up now, California pensions are already set to collapse all across the board. That goes for the rest of the country as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I don't want to get into a big discussion about pension policy but that's not an unavoidable inevitable thing, it's the result of policy decisions.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

The last strike was timed as such that many shows only had the first half of their seasons, at best, completed, which resulted unplanned hiatuses and severely shortened seasons. Heroes season 2 and Terminator I remember both being particularly harmed.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Heroes season 2 and Terminator I remember both being particularly harmed.
Friday Night Lights :negative:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wikipedia article has an exhaustive list.

Ooooh hulu ordered a Locke and Key pilot directed by the guy that directed Dr. Strange.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 20, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

omg chael crash posted:

It also got him to finally admit he was coming back.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The last writers strike is also credited with spurring the "golden age of television" since a lot of shows were conceived and hashed out between writers while they weren't doing much. However, your favourite shows right now in production are turbo-hosed. If it doesn't have a script and needs one before the strike is over, you're gonna have a bad time.

Edit: Actually, comparing timelines, this could be bad but the last one I think was done at the most damaging time. Because of when the last one took place (November is when it started), it royally hosed every show coming and going because you had shows that had already started to air but didn't have full season scripts. This will most likely delay Fall starts but probably not be as destructive as the last one, even if it lasts as long or longer.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 20, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

RevKrule posted:

However, your favourite shows right now in production are turbo-hosed. If it doesn't have a script and needs one before the strike is over, you're gonna have a bad time.

By the time the strike deadline hits most everything will be done for the season. It could mean a delay in show's starting up next fall though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have like 50 shows I want to catch up on so I say bring on the strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

howe_sam posted:

By the time the strike deadline hits most everything will be done for the season. It could mean a delay in show's starting up next fall though.

Edited at the same time you posted but yes, I agree with this.

Also remember that a lot of cable channels (and to varying degrees of success, network channels) are going towards a year round schedule that includes Summer shows. While not as much of thing as Fall/Spring, it's still there and getting bigger. FX/FXX, AMC and HBO are prime examples of this model. Their shows will be the most hurt but again, we'll most likely get delays rather than destruction as these shows are usually a lot tighter and shorter season wise.