Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
Shirtless Amos best Amos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Looks like the big :stare: moment happens all before the first commercial break so I'm excited to see how it pans out

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
"You know a lot about how people die"

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
Is that Adam Savage on the Venus Ship?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

Is that Adam Savage on the Venus Ship?

Yep, he's guest starring for this episode as part of his "behind the scenes" special

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I don't know how to feel about this episode. Interesting way for the Venus thing to play out, I'm not entirely sure what happened. Bobby owns, and the electrician thing was unnecessary. Fred Johnson being the new king of the system is pretty crazy, and I thought the whole "drive the protomolecule out of the airlock" thing went for way too long.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I wasn't super into the episode, but I wouldn't call it bad. I think that it is sort of a symptom of making tv shows for streaming posterity. This will be a fine episode when people are binging the whole show, but it is a weak season ender.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Again, this is like halfway through Book 2. It's not exactly written or meant to be a climax, and I keep finding it weird that they choose to end seasons basically midway through a storyline.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
There is zero chance I can bear waiting for a year and I'll probably start reading the books. Midway through the second book, you say?

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I was expecting Alex to do a minor thrust and move the gun into Holden's hand.

Edit: And kicking the floor to move the shotgun was a neat trick.

NuclearEagleFox!!! fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 20, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What a stupid place to end it. I know they're limited with how many episodes they get, but they could have cut and rearranged some stuff to end on something that's an actual climax/cliffhanger from the books. Super pissed it didn't end with (BOOK SPOILERS)the Investigator needing to talk.

E: Thinking some more, gently caress it they totally could have ended with that even without rearranging a thing. Just have it be triggered by the Arboghast instead of how it went in the books. Just plain stupid that they didn't do it.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

logikv9 posted:

There is zero chance I can bear waiting for a year and I'll probably start reading the books. Midway through the second book, you say?
More like 2/3ds of the way through the second book, looking through my ebook.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Crazycryodude posted:

What a stupid place to end it. I know they're limited with how many episodes they get, but they could have cut and rearranged some stuff to end on something that's an actual climax/cliffhanger from the books. Super pissed it didn't end with (BOOK SPOILERS)the Investigator needing to talk.

E: Thinking some more, gently caress it they totally could have ended with that even without rearranging a thing. Just have it be triggered by the Arboghast instead of how it went in the books.

Yeah. That's going to be an awesome moment.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

logikv9 posted:

Chapter 29 of 54 is when they kill the ship invader. Chapter 26 is when they start fighting it (both are Holden POV chapters), so it's pretty much smack in the middle.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I think it would have been better had they not spoiled the whole episode in the preview video they released.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Chapter 29 of 54 is when they kill the ship invader. Chapter 26 is when they start fighting it (both are Holden POV chapters), so it's pretty much smack in the middle.

Also, I won't be able to see this until tomorrow, so I don't know what happened at Venus, but the Arboghast had a significant event occur 42% of the way through my ebook.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Yeah, I tried catching up from 29 and as soon as they switch POV away from the Roci the whole plot has changed. I'm just backtracking now, trying to find whenever it best matches up with the show but I can already tell in the small details that the show changed quite a bit.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

logikv9 posted:

Yeah, I tried catching up from 29 and as soon as they switch POV away from the Roci the whole plot has changed. I'm just backtracking now, trying to find whenever it best matches up with the show but I can already tell in the small details that the show changed quite a bit.

This season has diverged quite a bit. In the books Bobbie ends up with Avasarala in a much different way (and spends time as a liason/gofer on Earth before they leave for Mao's ship) Mao is in a different political situation, Prax is very different and conducting a system-wide video milkbox campaign for Mei (with counter progaganda from his ex-wife funded by shadowy UN domestic intel units), etc. The military situation is also different in some subtle ways the show has ignored or downplayed.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Also, I won't be able to see this until tomorrow, so I don't know what happened at Venus, but the Arboghast had a significant event occur 42% of the way through my ebook.

I'm pretty sure that's the event we saw tonight, and it's pretty much exactly like how it is in the book, which I thought was pretty impressive, but it doesn't translate to TV perfectly.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

This season has diverged quite a bit. In the books Bobbie ends up with Avasarala in a much different way (and spends time as a liason/gofer on Earth before they leave for Mao's ship) Mao is in a different political situation, Prax is very different and conducting a system-wide video milkbox campaign for Mei (with counter progaganda from his ex-wife funded by shadowy UN domestic intel units), etc. The military situation is also different in some subtle ways the show has ignored or downplayed.

They made some major changes to Prax's adventure, but overall, I think I like the TV version of him more. I'll be surprised if they go through with the milkbox/gofundme campaign of his in season 3, but they might. I doubt it though because it feels like they've really downplayed Holden's social media presence in the show compared to the books, and Prax's thing ties into it.

Bobbie was totally imitating the Terminator at the end there, had she told Aversala "Come with me if you want to live" when she reached out it would've been perfect. The look Aversala was giving her then was great, she really sold the moment.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 20, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Goon with limited foreknowledge here!

This episode felt odd as a season ender. It felt like a few narrative crescendos buried underneath the limp rolling out of the PM's increased prominence and direct engagement with the narrative. It's going from MacGuffin to active.

I got a kick out of the contrast between Asur and Avasarala's dire negotiations and Bobbie's cheeky negotiations.

I got a kick out of the contrast between the human-directed PM chicanery and the self-directed PM chicanery. The former performed stupid human tricks. The latter's up to some crazy poo poo that's way over our heads.

And Fred's probably gonna let them back on Tycho station.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

logikv9 posted:

I think you could get away with not reading the first book, but you probably should just start at the beginning with book 2. As other people have mentioned the second season has diverged from the books a lot more than the first season. That said, if you enjoy the setting you really should read the first book if you're going to dive in, they spend a lot more time getting into the setting in a way the TV show just can't. The Miller POV chapters in the first book especially spend a lot of time filling out what Belter society is like and gives you an appreciation for life on Ceres and the differences between Belters and Inners in a way that the show doesn't fully do justice.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I feel letdown

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The Bobbie/Chrisjen team-up is really good, looking forward to see more of it next season.

I thought the best thing about this episode was the visuals near the end though. The weird womb imagery when they killed the Protomolecule Monster, the image of that one ship blowing up, talking about the downsides of war as Bobbie beats the poo poo out of Mao's crew. It really leaves a good impact

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm not a huge fan with how they've decided to structure the seasons. It'll certainly be fine if you're watching the whole series once it's complete, but making the first few episodes of the season be the climax of the plots from the last season isn't good for watching it as it's released.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hey what part in the on-going series "Naomi is the worst" are we on now?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

ATP_Power posted:

I'm not a huge fan with how they've decided to structure the seasons. It'll certainly be fine if you're watching the whole series once it's complete, but making the first few episodes of the season be the climax of the plots from the last season isn't good for watching it as it's released.

Yeah, that's my major problem. I think they budgeted their time badly with season 1 and now are trapped in this cycle of not having the proper climaxes in the seasons they belong to, and that can REALLY bite them later (if it hasn't already) because the cliffhangers only get bigger as the books ramp up. It doesn't look like they're gonna get all of book 3 in next season, but hopefully they can cut down book 4 to get back on track. If they keep up with this weird chronology the later books are gonna lose a LOT of their impact (no pun intended).

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 20, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope Adam Savage will be ok.
I thought the episode was fine. I wanted some hyperviolence out of bobbie and her suit, for it to play out like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCetyX6rOwI

Electrician guy stole the episode though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That didn't really feel like a season finale. It wasn't big enough. Bobbie has her super suit and can take over that ship. Julie turned that ship into an exploded diagram. Fred Johnson gets the protomolecule. Those are all somewhat decent cliffhangers, for an episode, not a season. The only "Where will they go next?" vibe I'm getting is from the thing on Venus. But that's only because I don't really know what it's doing in the first place.

Does Adam Savage die in the books?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

E: Thinking some more, gently caress it they totally could have ended with that even without rearranging a thing. Just have it be triggered by the Arboghast instead of how it went in the books. Just plain stupid that they didn't do it.
That would be a stupid thing to introduce so early in the story. When it happens in the books it happens quite a long time after Holden thinks that he's purged the protomolecule from his ship and the protomolecule soldier conspiracy has been exposed and wiped out. We are nowhere near that, and pushing that forward would be way premature. You let the hero think he's won and then pull the rug out from under him, you don't do that in the middle of the conflict while the tension is still up..

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

ATP_Power posted:

I think you could get away with not reading the first book, but you probably should just start at the beginning with book 2. As other people have mentioned the second season has diverged from the books a lot more than the first season. That said, if you enjoy the setting you really should read the first book if you're going to dive in, they spend a lot more time getting into the setting in a way the TV show just can't. The Miller POV chapters in the first book especially spend a lot of time filling out what Belter society is like and gives you an appreciation for life on Ceres and the differences between Belters and Inners in a way that the show doesn't fully do justice.

100% this. The show does some individual moments better than the books because it engages more senses, and Prax is almost certainly better in the show, but there is a depth to the books in terms of culture, events, relationships, etc that you just can't fit in. There's also an interesting dynamic where each book intentionally has a different feel in terms of theme that acts as an homage to a particular genre - I'll spoiler this in case anyone wants to remain pure as snow but it is just book titles and themes:

1. Leviathan Wakes - Horror/mystery
2. Caliban's War - Political thriller
3. Abbadon's Gate - Ghost story
4. Cibola Burn - Western
5. Nemesis Games - Disaster thriller
6. Babylon's Ashes - War story

re: this episode, agree with everyone else that this wasn't bad, just didn't feel like a good season ending set of events. Definitely hamstrung by the way they paced the show early on. Hard for me to figure out what next season will look like because there isn't enough of Caliban's War for 13 episodes without crazy inflation, but I have a really hard time imagining book 3's events working split in half.

Mars4523 posted:

That would be a stupid thing to introduce so early in the story. ...you don't do that in the middle of the conflict while the tension is still up..

Totally agree. Given their odd structure they will need that moment next season.

Doresain fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 20, 2017

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

That would be a stupid thing to introduce so early in the story. When it happens in the books it happens quite a long time after Holden thinks that he's purged the protomolecule from his ship and the protomolecule soldier conspiracy has been exposed and wiped out. We are nowhere near that, and pushing that forward would be way premature. You let the hero think he's won and then pull the rug out from under him, you don't do that in the middle of the conflict while the tension is still up..

There's more to it then that even.

Ok huge spoiler seriously don't mouse over this:
Holden is contacted because the protomolecule fails to connect to the network, so it uses Miller to try to find another way to make contact. Without the gate launching Miller appearing to Holden wouldn't really work. Granted I kinda assumed they'd just push the gate launching forward but welp.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Wow they even gave Adam Savage a technobabble-y line.

Anyway, I kind of agree that this didn't feel momentous enough for a season finale. It was fine, I enjoyed it, and Naomi's monologue montage with the Abroghast blow-up and Bobbie in the suit was somewhat epic, but didn't quite fully get there. I saw that the authors wrote this episode alongside someone (I suppose) who has more television writing experience, so we could speculate with that, or maybe it doesn't matter. I agree that splitting the books up has lead us to some odd dramatic pacing for a season of television. Especially the Nauvoo/Eros/Miller thing to whatever came next, and now this finale.

I noticed that I guess Elias Toufexis hung around and did voice work for the protomolecule hybrid, though I don't remember hearing it much.

And finally, boy that ending scene sure felt like the end of Raiders Of The Lost Ark with the warehouse.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, uh, this was a poorly structured season. I've not read the books, but there have got to be better ways of plotting this all out -- I can think of at least two episodes I would have cut in retrospect, in order to get to whatever the actual climax is -- and there's at least a couple of characters that contributed little or nothing to the overall structure of the season. Add in the shaggy dog Venus plot, and the really, really dumb decision to keep a rapidly growing child actor in a loving cryotube between seasons, and you've got a group of writers who need to be a bit more ruthless with their writing in the future.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like this series. The characters are (mostly) fun, and I'm entertained, but if this series really wants to play up along with the prestige dramas (or, at least, what they term used to mean before current saturation) then it needs to up its game.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I noticed that I guess Elias Toufexis hung around and did voice work for the protomolecule hybrid, though I don't remember hearing it much.

He may have done the motion capture as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Open Source Idiom posted:

the really, really dumb decision to keep a rapidly growing child actor in a loving cryotube between seasons, and you've got a group of writers who need to be a bit more ruthless with their writing in the future.

If they’re smart, they shoot the rest of her book 2 scenes early. Regardless of her fate, all the books have time‐skips between them, so they could work it in that way.

https://fat.gfycat.com/DapperGrotesqueAxisdeer.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/SardonicBronzeBlowfish.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/HandsomeFelineGalago.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/DismalScornfulIbex.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/SentimentalAdolescentCondor.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/OpenAptArmedcrab.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/ImpressiveCheeryBrant.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/UnlinedSlipperyGoosefish.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/VapidShrillBoubou.mp4

I don’t think anyone has complained about my gfy dumps, but I was thinking about using still images with links to the gfys next season. It would be more work, but let me know if that would be appreciated and I’ll try to remember to do it.

I think if there are fewer than six or seven 560p24 embeds per page, most devices that can hardware‐decode one 1080p60 stream can handle that, so that’s also an option.

Of course, by then everyone will be using technology that’s an average of nine months newer.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 20, 2017

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

logikv9 posted:

"You know a lot about how people die"

I loved that part too.

When I saw the 'coming back in 2018' thing my heart sank. Oh well, at least 12 monkeys will be back any minute now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just wanted to pop into this thread that I can't read because there's way too much book-reading passive-spoiler chicanery (a lot of you are doing it without realizing it, just fyi) going on just so I can say...

When the military guy and the scientist guy on the ship over Eros-crater started guessing what the other was going to suggest and laughing and being all buddy buddy, I just laughed really hard and said out loud, "hahaha oh man, well, too bad we're all gonna die in a few minutes, huh?" because that is literally the only reason fast-friends get made in a series like this; so they can die.

I loved the scientist guy having a look of "oh man, this is loving awesome" despite dying in the Venus atmosphere.

So to wrap up from a non-reader's point of view, this season was loving amazing, makes season 1 look like it was made by a completely different and less talented crew of people, and pretty much blows away any other sci-fi TV show I've ever watched... barring TNG. The final scene's composition was fantastic, I feel like it wrapped up enough to satisfy me without making me angry over a cliffhanger, and I really hope there aren't any major staffing changes for Season 3!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so book readers - I'm assuming that the expedition sent to venus are dead as a dodo, but I'd like confirmation. Because an entity that can do that to a spaceship can do anything. Including making the air breatheable and/or teleporting the humans to a habitable environment.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

double nine posted:

so book readers - I'm assuming that the expedition sent to venus are dead as a dodo, but I'd like confirmation. Because an entity that can do that to a spaceship can do anything. Including making the air breatheable and/or teleporting the humans to a habitable environment.

No doubt they're dead in the same sense that Julie Mao is dead.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

double nine posted:

Arboghast spoilers: what happens to the Arboghast in the show is more or less what happens to it in the books; the ship is dismantled and everyone aboard is exposed to space (it happens in Venus orbit, if I remember correctly). There are no POV characters aboard in the book, nor is there any reason to believe anyone survived. Avasarala is shown footage of the event by the book's version of her scientist buddy, who sticks to investigating from Earth. Venus has a shitload more ships near it and watching it in the books, so the event is a good deal more public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KakerMix posted:

I unashamedly loved Battlestar throughout the whole series and I am glad of it.

Here's hoping The Expanse does the same.

Yeah BSG is the finest sci-fi series ever filmed and anyone who says otherwise hates good things and can be safely ignored. It's a solid litmus test. Babylon 5's story works better but it has a whole lot of rough production and bad acting dragging on it. Also B5 is still as far as I know the only TV show ever fully plotted, then ten years of editing while trying to get it made, before going on the air (not counting book adaptations).

This show is also good and waiting a year is going to suck even though I know what happens.

E: Anyone have a direct download link to the podcast? The page isn't loading properly for me.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 20, 2017

• Locked thread