Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

RealFoxy posted:

He should do what Chris Hero and Sammi Callahan did and just duck out, go on and put out the best matches in the indies, and maybe come back when he's a more exciting commodity again rather than endlessly spinning his wheels in NXT

worked for Jinder Mahal, look where he's at!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm more excited about watching Callihan or Pentagon vs KENTA than I am Hideo Itami vs almost anyone in NXT. KENTA is a great wrestler but I don't know what makes him stand out versus Nakamura or Tozawa who are both great wrestlers too but OOZE charisma. I couldn't even tell you what Itami's gimmick or character are past "My style is kick"

If you compare him to the rumored women coming in (Shirai & Hojo) he stands out even less than those two who both have their own charisma and characters (Shirai as the Ace/Best in the World type and Hojo as the charismatic/sympathetic babyface with an amazing elbow). The most important thing if you're a non-native english speaker in the WWE is being able to connect with the crowd, and he doesn't even have the benefit that Khali did (Being really tall) so unless they just call all-in and pair him up with someone like Heyman as a mouthpiece or put him in a stable where he can just kick people really hard and act tough/serious almost like a Benoit or Malenko I'm not sure where he goes from here except the rotating cast of 205 Live

Asuka was in a similar position; she was a fairly serious kick/shoot fighter type that just kicked people REALLY hard and liked to compete against men, but in the two years or so before signing she started working a lot more on character and using the clown/nazi thing for intimidation against opponents and started being a little less serious with her friends Makoto, Mio Shirai, Shida, etc. and something just clicked when she made it to NXT and started doing some great character work while working on her English.

I guess at best I really could see him in a Benoit/Shibata "No gimmicks needed" character who just arrogantly antagonizes his opponents while they're down but I can see that wearing down fast on the RAW roster where they're always desperate to put people in really bad storylines.

The benefit to going back to Japan/Indies of course would be building up hype & momentum again where he's not trying to take a WWE style and work TV matches and can just put on the match quality he was in NOAH before being signed against much better talent in the US Indies or NJPW.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/854756650279813120

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

i love this

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

push almas gdi

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
TV tapings tonight.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Aussie LayCool is winning me over

Sanity is not. It's still poo poo

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
What's the point of a cage match if you can win by pin/sub? Or by escaping through the completely unlocked door, for that matter?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sanity is fine but needs new music, it's too slow and the guitar riffs sound like fart noises.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

There is a cage surrounding the ring which is drat wild. i cant even see into the ring as good as the way it was before. holy gently caress

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

What's the point of a cage match if you can win by pin/sub? Or by escaping through the completely unlocked door, for that matter?

the point of a cage match is to add a bit of extra brutality to the proceedings and keep a heel from running away from a babyface

the door is stupid though, yes

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

oatgan posted:

the point of a cage match is to add a bit of extra brutality to the proceedings and keep a heel from running away from a babyface

the door is stupid though, yes
The problem is they never do the door finish right, it should be when you beat your opponent so bad you can just walk out

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
drat, EY got busted open pretty good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

achillesforever6 posted:

The problem is they never do the door finish right, it should be when you beat your opponent so bad you can just walk out
Tbqh the door escape was the right choice here, especially with the visual of Wolfe scaling the cage and Nikki scrambling from across the ring just as it happened. Tye escaped just as the siege broke through the gates, so to speak.

It was a unique bit of psychology and it gets Tye his sendoff win while preserving the credibility of Sanity as a threat that's still potent when they come in numbers. And it leaves open the possibility that Roddy and Ohno might still come up short against them, even though Young lost. Iirc Sanity's only tag match loss came during the time when they weren't clicking as a team / swarm, aka Sawyer Fulton's tenure. Once Dain came on they started getting booked strong.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 20, 2017

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I don't mind Sanity, but I'd like them to actually promo out their gimmick. I get from their style and the stuff with Dillinger that presumably we're supposed to have charismatic leader Eric Young and his merry band of lunatics, but what is their point? If Dillinger had joined them, what would that mean? What's their point?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, EY is a hell of a promo and I don't know why he doesn't get the mic more often.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Basic Chunnel posted:

Once Dain came on they started getting booked strong.

It's freaky how fast Killian can move for his size. During the cage match I saw him on the entrance ramp, and then immediately he was jumping for the cage, like he ran so fast I thought there was a camera edit for a second.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Revenant Threshold posted:

I don't mind Sanity, but I'd like them to actually promo out their gimmick. I get from their style and the stuff with Dillinger that presumably we're supposed to have charismatic leader Eric Young and his merry band of lunatics, but what is their point? If Dillinger had joined them, what would that mean? What's their point?

That's a problem with wwe in general. They'll have these high concept characters and then give them zero chance to explain who they are and what they are doing. It's doesn't even have to be complex. I just want some understanding of their motivation.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still think there's a good story in Sanity trying to take over NXT by going after all the belts -- EY for the main title, Nikki for the women's title, Dain and Wolfe for the tag titles. And then guys like Roddy/Jose/Ohno/Ruby carry on Tye's legacy, add more allies, and try to take them down on multiple fronts, all leading up to an epic War Games blowoff at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans the night before next year's Mania.

And then I wake up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Killian crashing into Hero and Strong against the side of the cage was great, but Tye locking Sanity inside the cage after his win was the best.

That was a really good farewell for Tye :)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hideo hitting the G2S on Roode ruled really hard.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I hope that all backstage stuff is now filmed by Heavy Machinery

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Interesting note from the observer:

quote:

For those interested in this kind of trivia, as of the weekend, Asuka as of this past weekend had won 163 consecutive matches in WWE. The shoot number for Goldberg in WCW was 155 even though they use a higher worked number. It’s funny because since it’s not a storyline, it means nothing compared to Goldberg’s streak or Undertaker’s streak. In the 50s, Lou Thesz had a streak pushed as 936 consecutive matches without a loss (there were plenty of draws there) until his 1955 match with Leo Nomellini that he lost via DQ. I’m not sure if that number is legitimate or not (he was asked and he wasn’t sure either and actually one would think the real number could be higher than that), but as NWA champion in an era where they didn’t use the title can’t change hands via DQ or count out rule nor did the champion lose non-title matches in that era, he likely didn’t lose any matches from at least 1948 to 1955 while always appearing in main events against the biggest names in the industry.
I love it. She needs to be Chong Li from Bloodsport.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm assuming those are televised matches, since Asuka actually lost some tag matches at house shows where her partner ate the pin.

But yeah, as far as I can tell, Asuka has never been pinned or submitted since signing with NXT.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Tye finally won a feud/match

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Benne posted:

I'm assuming those are televised matches, since Asuka actually lost some tag matches at house shows where her partner ate the pin.

But yeah, as far as I can tell, Asuka has never been pinned or submitted since signing with NXT.

The 163 includes house shows, on TV she's probably just around 30-40 matches at most. Also, tag losses where your partner gets pinned don't count.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

astrollinthepork posted:

Interesting note from the observer:

I love it. She needs to be Chong Li from Bloodsport.

that's not interesting at all

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

RacistGuidingLight posted:

that's not interesting at all

I think a streak higher than Goldberg's is pretty good myself! Dare I say... intriguing even.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What would be interesting is if they acknowledge this and keep it running for another year or so as if waiting for a once-in-a-lifetime charisma to come in and finally end it and have it be a returning Kelly Kelly.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I mean, it's interesting in a trivia sense, but they haven't even mentioned it on TV, let alone pushing it, and given WWE's love affair with streaks and records that's a clear sign they don't really care.

The on-screen story with Asuka is about her running over everyone and the women's division trying to figure out a way to stop her, which to me is more interesting than an arbitrary win streak they don't even bother to bring up.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 20, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They haven't mentioned it because the streak is a shoot and they're hoping to keep her contained to NXT and pray she never becomes aware of Smackdown and Raw and heads over to gleefully wreak her havoc on those rosters too.

The doomsday scenario was her finding out about Goldberg's streak and humbling him before he could get to Wrestlemania against Brock.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Tye finally won a feud/match

has tye won more on smackdown than he did on nxt? it feels that way.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thread title sucks

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

shiksa posted:

has tye won more on smackdown than he did on nxt? it feels that way.

You joke, but might not be that far off. Remember, Tye spent years as a throwaway jobber. He started being the "Perfect 10" as an arrogant heel gimmick, which meant he lost all the time. That accidentally got over, which accidentally turned Tye face, and then he lost every match as a plucky underdog.

So yeah, without looking, I could probably count Tye's televised NXT wins on one hand.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Benne posted:

You joke, but might not be that far off. Remember, Tye spent years as a throwaway jobber. He started being the "Perfect 10" as an arrogant heel gimmick, which meant he lost all the time. That accidentally got over, which accidentally turned Tye face, and then he lost every match as a plucky underdog.

So yeah, without looking, I could probably count Tye's televised NXT wins on one hand.

i wasn't joking though, tye's had, what, two matches on smackdown now, both wins? i started watching nxt last year when nakamura debuted (honestly he got me back into wrestling so i watched nxt more than anything for at least half a year) and tye was the top jobber for almost the entire year without having any wins over lower developmental guys. i only remember him getting a couple wins before his match with bobby roode because that's when he finally got a finisher - aj's transitional move, but hey - and even after that he lost pretty consistently with the sanity feud.

i mean, honestly it's awesome and a credit to how he's gotten over with the crowd that he's a hot new face on the main roster and getting the wins-matches-on-tv-consistently run after spending a long long time being a total loser in nxt.

tye dillinger made himself into what wwe wants sami zayn to be, which is kind of incredible considering their backgrounds and skill levels.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

shiksa posted:

i wasn't joking though, tye's had, what, two matches on smackdown now, both wins? i started watching nxt last year when nakamura debuted (honestly he got me back into wrestling so i watched nxt more than anything for at least half a year) and tye was the top jobber for almost the entire year without having any wins over lower developmental guys. i only remember him getting a couple wins before his match with bobby roode because that's when he finally got a finisher - aj's transitional move, but hey - and even after that he lost pretty consistently with the sanity feud.

i mean, honestly it's awesome and a credit to how he's gotten over with the crowd that he's a hot new face on the main roster and getting the wins-matches-on-tv-consistently run after spending a long long time being a total loser in nxt.

tye dillinger made himself into what wwe wants sami zayn to be, which is kind of incredible considering their backgrounds and skill levels.

Seems like you weren't watching NXT during the C.J. Parker period. Long story short, Parker was the annoying heel who would lose to newcomers and get them over. That was his whole purpose. When Parker got released, Tye Dillinger took up that mantle, and the "10" gimmick was over enough to make him look credible losing, so NXT just slotted him into Parker's old spot. It worked fine for a while.

I think the turning point was his match against the debuting Almas at Brooklyn last year. They tried pushing Almas as a face, but nobody really cared about him and Tye losing to him felt like a mistake. Since then, the crowd support just grew, to the point where they had to turn Tye face. Then he got the prominent feuds with Roode and Sanity where he lost all the time, but stayed over.

People love Tye because, even though he's not an indie geek with street cred, he's paid his dues for over a decade, failed several times, but kept coming back and trying again, unwavering. And now he's finally on the main roster, which is something nobody could've predicted a year ago. He'll probably never be more than a midcard drone, but that's still a really cool "overcoming the odds" story that's easy to get behind.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Super No Vacancy posted:

thread title sucks

ooh, yeah, yuck change it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Recommend a new one!

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
NXT is Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

WWE NXT Discussion & GDT: in my day calling someone a "MR." was the respectful thing to do. anyway it's the NHL and NBA playoffs right now and a sidenote is that here's where to talk about nxt.

• Locked thread