Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'd complain about Capcom releasing what are essentially expansions as full releases but I have a feeling if they went with dlc they would find a way to be even scummier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Until Monster Hunter goes the way of Breath of Fire there's always hope for the series. Probably.

What happened to BoF anyway? I haven't looked at it since, like, the first couple hours of BoF3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BoF 6 came out recently

Its a lovely gatcha mobile game

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I can't wait to buy an aborted foetus amiibo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Why hasn't the thread title been changed to the FTC reccomendation yet?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So I caved to the art style and bought/beat wonderboy, and was amused in hindsight that it's literally an inverted shovel knight. It's not bad, but definitely a little opaque at points, and suffers from not touching any more recent game design principles. I do feel pretty good about being able to beat it without touching any guides/faqs for it, though.

Also, whoever said "you don't need to grind", you were technically correct in that you can beat the game without grinding, but there is definitely some grinding that needs to happen if you want to buy everything from every store eventually.

:yeah:

Like gently caress man.. put some checkpoints in or something.

Starting alllllll the way back in town is a pain in the goddamn arse.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What happened to BoF anyway? I haven't looked at it since, like, the first couple hours of BoF3

It got shelved after an unpopular experimental title called Dragon Quarter (the fifth game) during the PS2 era. Recently they released an incredibly awful mobile game to milk some nostalgia dollars, but the series has been dead for fifteen years now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

Why hasn't the thread title been changed to the FTC reccomendation yet?

Remind me of it?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

VideoGames posted:

Remind me of it?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812160&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=380#post471537455

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wanna see the FTC statement on amiibo spoofing

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, done with Wonder Boy for real, apparently. that mouse area was bullshit

Infinitum posted:

:yeah:

Like gently caress man.. put some checkpoints in or something.

Starting alllllll the way back in town is a pain in the goddamn arse.

The only time I really missed the DS castlevania standard of "save and heal outside the boss room" was before the Daimyo Dragon. and then on my 3rd attempt I found a hidden door with a full heal and a potion to the right of the boss door :facepalm:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

English port of the Seiken Densetsu collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0Kt_X4hCk

Secret of Mana is the only game I will always gladly buy again and again.

Hell yes

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Remind me of it?

irlZaphod posted:

I can't wait to buy an aborted foetus amiibo.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So guys: Dragon's Trap, or Blaster Master 0, if I haven't played either yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They both good. Blaster Master is a far better value in terms of content/money.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

bobvonunheil posted:

Neither, both short sad and bad. Get the only good game on switch outside of Neo Turf masters.... get Shovel Knight!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cojawfee posted:

These times are bullshit. I thought it was going to be do a bunch of laps and see what kind of time you can get, but it's a total of three laps.

really? i have yet to get that screen. i've been beating the dev times first try. :smuggo:

protip: always be boosting and hold that fucker down. cebra, the first ship, is best well rounded one. i beat hypersonic with that thing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

bowmore posted:

Gimme a N64 mini

i'm imagining a n64 mini where the only rare game on it is donkey kong 64 and i cry.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

His coconut gun can fire in spurts

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'm imagining a n64 mini where the only rare game on it is donkey kong 64 and i cry.

That and Superman

also it ships with pro controllers but the joystick housings are pre-dusted with ground plastic for that authentic n64 feeling

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah no Rare games is much better

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tatsuta Age posted:

His coconut gun can fire in spurts

If he shoots ya, he's firing in spurts.
His coconut gun is bigger, faster, stronger too,
He's the first member of the coconut crew.

CG

Coconut gun.

CG

Co coconut gun

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bobvonunheil posted:

I honestly can't recommend Blaster Master. It's not bad but it's very meh and I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
No idea about Dragon's Trap!

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
So I think I may have screwed up big time. I ratted out at the transform point and went through the return to main town door. Now I can't get back to the transform because you need to swim up to it. Advice?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is Switch port of Binding of Isaac as pixelated and lovely as it looks in screenshots? Is there a reason for it or is Nicalis really that incompetent?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

parallelodad posted:

If he shoots ya, he's firing in spurts.
His coconut gun is bigger, faster, stronger too,
He's the first member of the coconut crew.

CG

Coconut gun.

CG

Co coconut gun

as my gift to the pope, i gave him a nintendo switch copy of undertale

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FiestaDePantalones posted:

So I think I may have screwed up big time. I ratted out at the transform point and went through the return to main town door. Now I can't get back to the transform because you need to swim up to it. Advice?

There's a transform point in the town you can uncover by destroying a block in one of the buildings. I assume you got the block destroying power, I think you have to in order to use the escape door.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Is Switch port of Binding of Isaac as pixelated and lovely as it looks in screenshots? Is there a reason for it or is Nicalis really that incompetent?

That's the style mate.

Don't blame Nicalis for that either, as Edmund Miller was the original Dev.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

parallelodad posted:

There's a transform point in the town you can uncover by destroying a block in one of the buildings. I assume you got the block destroying power, I think you have to in order to use the escape door.

Tasmanian Sword = Transform anywhere

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

The Switch port looks just as lovely as the PC version if that's what you're asking. (it's a very fun game though!)

edit: The original Flash version looked lovely in a different way.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Haven't found Tasmanian sword, but I can break blocks. Thanks!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

what would an N64 mini even look like, I can barely come up with 20 games when you take away a bunch of Rare and Lucasarts poo poo:

Super Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Super Smash Bros
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Harvest Moon 64
Yoshi's Story
Mischief Makers
Ogre Battle 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pilotwings
Wave Race 64
Resident Evil 2
Star Fox 64
Sin and Punishment

The only choice I'd say is out there is Mischief Makers since Treasure is in a coma but all things considered, this wouldn't be a bad lineup.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bobvonunheil posted:

Dragons Trap is a 1:1 remake of an 80s game with 80s design principles. It's still very good, but you're going to have to live with that playstyle (Grinding + no checkpoints + etc)

Blaster Master Zero is a homage to the original, and is just a rock solid all around game. Lots of QOL inclusions make it an enjoyable experience from start to finish.

Both games are technically metroidvanias.
Both have their strong and weak points

If you asked me to choose between the 2, I would have to recommend Blaster Master Zero.
It's an absolute treat.
(Afterwards you should grab Dragon's Trap as well, as it is still an excellent game; just for entirely different reasons)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

MinibarMatchman posted:

what would an N64 mini even look like, I can barely come up with 20 games when you take away a bunch of Rare and Lucasarts poo poo:

Super Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Super Smash Bros
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Harvest Moon 64
Yoshi's Story
Mischief Makers
Ogre Battle 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pilotwings
Wave Race 64
Resident Evil 2
Star Fox 64
Sin and Punishment

The only choice I'd say is out there is Mischief Makers since Treasure is in a coma but all things considered, this wouldn't be a bad lineup.

Man I was gonna say Blast Corps but that's Rare too, fuuuuuuuuck

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

sensy v2.0 posted:

edit: The original Flash version looked lovely in a different way.

It looks like this is the version I remember playing, so that explains it. What a weird way to remake something.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

it looks the same as it does on other platforms, with the exception being there's a "filter" option that the other platforms have, that the switch does not.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Snowboard Kids 2

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

Super Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Super Smash Bros
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Harvest Moon 64
Yoshi's Story
Mischief Makers
Ogre Battle 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pilotwings
Wave Race 64
Resident Evil 2
Star Fox 64
Sin and Punishment

How dare you omit Snowboard Kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Infinitum posted:

Tasmanian Sword = Transform anywhere

He can't get that yet.

• Locked thread