Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

steinrokkan posted:

I will jump at every opportunity to shittalk my country and all its neighbors, but I'd sooner die fighting for my Motherland's honor on a mountain of fellow fallen countrymen than suffer a filthy foreigner disparaging her!

e: We've got Netflix in Serbia and apparently the choice is pretty good even compared to the US. (Because of easier licensing negotiation?)

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SaltyJesus posted:

e: We've got Netflix in Serbia and apparently the choice is pretty good even compared to the US. (Because of easier licensing negotiation?)
Netflix did expand to like 150 countries at once some time in 2016. Pretty much every European country has it now, though the licencing agreements are a hot loving mess so the available content varies wildly.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Meanwhile, in Donbas -

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-04-20/putin-quietly-detaches-ukraine-s-rebel-zones-as-u-s-waffles

quote:

Vladimir Putin is seizing on mixed signals from the U.S. to quietly tighten Russia’s grip on two rebel regions of Ukraine, burying hopes for a European-brokered peace deal and relief from sanctions anytime soon.

While the Kremlin continues to publicly back the accord that Germany and France oversaw in 2015, Putin’s real strategy in Ukraine is to fully separate the two border areas known as the Donbas through incremental integration with Russia, three people close to the leadership in Moscow said. He has no plans to recognize or annex the territories, they said.

Russia has been moving gradually, using a blockade by Ukrainian activists as political cover to take over key economic links with the separatist zones. Last week, Russian Railways slashed rates for shipping coal and iron ore to points near the rebel areas, where the metals industry provides most jobs. That will allow Russia to replace Ukrainian supplies halted by Kiev and ensure that steel plants continue to function, according to two people in the industry.

“A step has been taken toward detaching Donbas -- there’s no doubt about that,” a senior lawmaker in the ruling United Russia party, Konstantin Zatulin, said by phone from Moscow. Like other officials, Zatulin blamed Ukraine for forcing Moscow’s hand through the blockade, an allegation Kiev rejects.

Zatulin’s assessment of the Kremlin’s plans was confirmed by Alexei Chesnakov, a former Kremlin staffer who now advises Putin’s administration on Ukraine policy, and a senior government official who asked not to be identified.

Russian Citizenship

Earlier this year, Putin angered his Ukrainian counterpart, Petro Poroshenko, by signing a decree recognizing passports and other documents issued by the separatist governments in Luhansk and Donetsk, which have already declared the ruble their official currency. The Kremlin is also considering making it easier for the 2 million residents of the regions to become Russian citizens, which would dramatically complicate any attempt by Kiev to reassert control.

Moscow is implementing the so-called “Transnistria scenario,” according to the deputy head of Poroshenko’s administration, Kostiantyn Yelisieiev, referring to the breakaway region in the former Soviet republic of Moldova, which hosts Russian troops but has no citizenship agreements with Russia.

Russia supports a string of separatist regions in former Soviet republics, using them as leverage over pro-Western governments in what it considers to be its sphere of influence. In 2008, Russia sent troops into Georgia to secure two such areas that are now essentially Kremlin protectorates. Last month, Russia absorbed some of the militias there into its regular army.

“We don’t have peace for one reason: Russians are not interested in reaching peace,” Poroshenko said in a speech in London on Tuesday. “They are interested in exerting control.”

Putin’s moves in Ukraine pose a challenge to the U.S. and the European Union, which publicly support the 2015 Minsk accord that calls for Ukraine to regain control of the Donbas. A collapse of the deal would be a major blow to German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who’s spent a lot of political capital trying to end the worst violence Europe’s seen since the the Balkan wars of the 1990s. The three-year conflict has killed 10,000 people and displaced 2 million more.

President Donald Trump’s administration, on the other hand, has sent mixed signals on its stance and even appears to be “totally uninterested” in the conflict, as one senior Russian diplomat put it. Trump has taken a tough line rhetorically, though he hasn’t made his position clear and the White House seems focused on issues it considers more pressing like Syria and North Korea.

While Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has questioned Ukraine’s importance for U.S. taxpayers, he’s also insisted that sanctions be maintained on Russia until the Kremlin respects its commitments to restore peace. Previously, the new U.S. administration had only pledged to keep the less onerous penalties that were imposed in response to Putin’s annexation of Crimea.

‘Always Ready’

Putin’s strategy involves developing levers that can be used to strengthen the Kremlin’s control over the Donbas on short notice, two Western diplomats in Moscow said, an assessment confirmed by former Russian officials.

Retaliatory measures “are always ready,” said Chesnakov, the Kremlin adviser on Ukraine. “Every time Ukraine gives us an excuse they are implemented.”

In January, Ukrainian nationalist war veterans blocked off cargo links with the rebel-held east. Two months later, Poroshenko formalized the blockade even though it’s costing his country’s economy about 1 percent of output because of the cut-off of key raw material supplies including coal.

Poroshenko has said the ban on trade will be lifted once separatist authorities reverse their seizure of Ukrainian enterprises. Donetsk and Luhansk in March took control of about 40 Ukrainian companies, including billionaire Rinat Akhmetov’s steel-making and electricity assets.

This reflects the financial component of Putin’s policy, according to Andrey Margolin, an economist at the Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration. After two years of recession, Russia can scarcely afford to continue subsidizing the Donbas, so it needs to incorporate Donetsk and Luhansk commercially to help offset the expense, he said.

“The less this economy is integrated with Russia’s, the higher the costs will be,” Margolin said.

Frozen Conflict

With the Minsk accord now basically at a dead end, the Donbas is drifting into a frozen conflict that may last decades.

As for Poroshenko, his hands are tied, just as Putin likes it, according to Volodymyr Fesenko at the Penta research institute in Kiev.

Domestic opponents are preventing Poroshenko from granting wide autonomy to the rebel regions, as required under the peace agreement, while two other contentious issues mandated by the accord -- a full cease-fire and a return of border areas to Ukrainian control -- are also no closer to being fulfilled.

“This lets Russia strengthen its hold on the two republics,” Fesenko said.

The treasonous government that's taken over Washington DC is too concerned with dick waving at North Korea of all countries and brokering oil deals with Russia, something Christopher Steel said would happen on page 29 of his dossier Putin and Trump both insist is fake.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That dossier has to be a heck of a read. Even the feds are now making winks and nudges that it's not even remotely a bad piece of work.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

It sure is. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cheers, going to flip through it later today.

E: Well, that was fairly entertaining read. Not sure how far is ti reasonable to buy into it, but it paints a fairly coherent picture, and there seems to be an air of credibility slowly arising around it.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 20, 2017

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

It was recently revealed the FBI has a FISA warrant based on this document. So there must be credible information there. Putin and Trump as I said insist it's fiction.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/...genumber%3D5377

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Meanwhile in the Ukraine, Stanislav Serhiyenko was followed and stabbed repeatedly yesterday. He's one of the only historians who went on record for this article about the historical whitewashing going on in the Ukraine.

Thankfully Stas is recovering in hospital, but when historical debate starts turning violent, things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Meanwhile in the Ukraine, Stanislav Serhiyenko was followed and stabbed repeatedly yesterday. He's one of the only historians who went on record for this article about the historical whitewashing going on in the Ukraine.

Thankfully Stas is recovering in hospital, but when historical debate starts turning violent, things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.
That's hosed up, be some of the related historical topics disputed amongst historians, or not. Hopefully, there will be a follow-up investigation.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dreylad posted:

That's crazy. I was in Kiev a few years ago (before the civil war) and went to a wonderful presentation on the hero's of Ukraine/Soviet Union at the war memorial under the big lady with the sword.

I'll never forget there was a side by side photo of a female sniper from the war. A photo of her as a young, badass Soldier with a rifle (and a killer's eyes), next to a photo of a little bent over babushka (who still had a killer's eyes).

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

There was a fire at a store yesterday. The firefighters showed up with no water. Now there's an empty lot to be bought/fixed up!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

There was a fire at a store yesterday. The firefighters showed up with no water. Now there's an empty lot to be bought/fixed up!
Funny that you mention this, there was a fire in the basement parking lot of my acquaintance's apartment complex yesterday. Turns out, the automatic fire extinguishers built into the parking lot had no "fuel".

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012
Apparently an OSCE observer has been killed in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/OSCE_SMM/status/856117192231964672

+ NSFW video (dead body blurred)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCUBNBKzhpc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Novaya Gazeta appears to have interviewed a person who served together with Sergey Dubinskiy in Afghanistan.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Chernobyl nominated to be included on the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites. http://www.svoboda.org/a/28453565.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Montenegro said Wednesday that a decision by Russia to ban imports from its biggest winemaker was politically motivated by the Balkan country’s imminent accession to NATO.

According to state-owned wine producer Plantaze, Russian authorities have banned the import of its alcohol from Wednesday owing to sanitary failings -- accusations the company denied.

“It is clear that the decision is in the context of NATO membership,” said Montenegro’s Prime Minister Dusko Markovic.

He said Russian citizens had “lost an opportunity to consume the best wines” owing to the “irresponsible policy” of their authorities.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Montenegro said Wednesday that a decision by Russia to ban imports from its biggest winemaker was politically motivated by the Balkan country’s imminent accession to NATO.

According to state-owned wine producer Plantaze, Russian authorities have banned the import of its alcohol from Wednesday owing to sanitary failings -- accusations the company denied.

“It is clear that the decision is in the context of NATO membership,” said Montenegro’s Prime Minister Dusko Markovic.

He said Russian citizens had “lost an opportunity to consume the best wines” owing to the “irresponsible policy” of their authorities.

That's a pretty big step down on the aggression scale from trying to assassinate the Prime Minister and overthrow the government.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A trucker with no license or insurance from Luhansk decided to very slowly back up into my in-laws cars, destroying the mirror and crunching the door. He was apologetic and extremely scared at being caught doing whatever illegal trucking he was doing and gave them 50 euros and ran off. The repair will be $1600, money my poor inlaws don't have so we're going to have to help them out.

So Putin has personally hosed me over for $1600. gently caress you Putin and gently caress you "Luhansk People's Republic"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baronjutter posted:

A trucker with no license or insurance from Luhansk decided to very slowly back up into my in-laws cars, destroying the mirror and crunching the door. He was apologetic and extremely scared at being caught doing whatever illegal trucking he was doing and gave them 50 euros and ran off. The repair will be $1600, money my poor inlaws don't have so we're going to have to help them out.

So Putin has personally hosed me over for $1600. gently caress you Putin and gently caress you "Luhansk People's Republic"

the bourgeois's cars will be crushed in the anti-imperialistic revolution

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Baronjutter posted:

tell them, extremely snarky " this would not have happened in Canada"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

skipThings posted:

They also dropped on us that because they didn't have the money to fix the car they were just going to sell it for like 1/10th what they paid along with their house and move. They want to get out of Ukraine and maybe back to Russia but have no plan and it's insane and it's making my wife crazy with stress because she knows her parents are totally capable of huge knee-jerk reactions and have made short-sighted drastic changes in their lives over smaller things.

So hopefully by paying for the car they'll not do anything crazy like abandon their house they sunk all their savings into and just walk to Russia. How were they even planning on surviving in rural Ukraine without a car?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

They also dropped on us that because they didn't have the money to fix the car they were just going to sell it for like 1/10th what they paid along with their house and move. They want to get out of Ukraine and maybe back to Russia but have no plan and it's insane and it's making my wife crazy with stress because she knows her parents are totally capable of huge knee-jerk reactions and have made short-sighted drastic changes in their lives over smaller things.

So hopefully by paying for the car they'll not do anything crazy like abandon their house they sunk all their savings into and just walk to Russia. How were they even planning on surviving in rural Ukraine without a car?

We're going through trying to get mom taken care of (dad died). We gotta get the house sold (along with all the junk in it), and get the money in a US bank (for helping to start mom's new life in the US).

The problem is, she is so overwhelmed by everything that she does nothing. So either my wife, or I, have to go to crimea to handle everything, or I don't know what to do. Find a russian estate lawyer who isn't too criminal to handle it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/navalny/status/857609955003826176

Navalny got involuntarily painted again, briefly before a speech he intended to give.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

You don't move from Canada to rural Ukraine or Russia because you're planning on surviving; you move because you're planning on drinking yourself to death.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cat Mattress posted:

You don't move from Canada to rural Ukraine or Russia because you're planning on surviving; you move because you're planning on drinking yourself to death.

From Canada? Also neither of them drink.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

From Canada? Also neither of them drink.

I thought perhaps they had moved back from Canada because of that post:

skipThings posted:

Just a dumb joke.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They're also slightly mad we can't just scoop them up and move them to Canada and pay them a pension out of our pockets that would let them live in one of the most expensive cities in the country :(
Yes we can send money to help, but we're still only working class relative to our own country. This also fills my poor wife with extreme levels of slav-guilt for being unable to take care of her parents. I'm pretty sure we don't even make enough money to sponsor them for a visa. Would love to have them come actually visit us some time, but them being allowed even a visitor visa is pretty much out of the question.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 27, 2017

3peat
May 6, 2010

Apparently the fascists are staging a coup in fyromia? wtf is going on in there

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

So things are going to poo poo in Macedonia: https://www.ft.com/content/af17531e-2b7c-11e7-bc4b-5528796fe35c

Based on what I've heard from someone living in Macedonia, and googling and looking at tweets about this poo poo, it seems like the country's been sitting on a powder keg that's now exploding.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

They're also slightly mad we can't just scoop them up and move them to Canada and pay them a pension out of our pockets that would let them live in one of the most expensive cities in the country :(
Yes we can send money to help, but we're still only working class relative to our own country. This also fills my poor wife with extreme levels of slav-guilt for being unable to take care of her parents. I'm pretty sure we don't even make enough money to sponsor them for a visa. Would love to have them come actually visit us some time, but them being allowed even a visitor visa is pretty much out of the question.

Our plan is to move mom into our home and have her help out (take care of the kids, manage our garden, cook, clean). She's done those things for 50 years and it'd really help us out, and make her feel useful. We'd immediately drop the paperwork to have her become a U.S. citizen (as a parent of a US citizen it'll take about 6 months according to our lawyer), and she'd be my dependent (and as such fall under my family medical plan).

Does Canada not have a similar thing where as your parent she can become a citizen? And then, as a citizen, apply for benefits?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

spacetoaster posted:

Our plan is to move mom into our home and have her help out (take care of the kids, manage our garden, cook, clean). She's done those things for 50 years and it'd really help us out, and make her feel useful. We'd immediately drop the paperwork to have her become a U.S. citizen (as a parent of a US citizen it'll take about 6 months according to our lawyer), and she'd be my dependent (and as such fall under my family medical plan).

Does Canada not have a similar thing where as your parent she can become a citizen? And then, as a citizen, apply for benefits?

When you say home I assume you live in a house that you own with multiple bedrooms and slightly more living space than you need? We're in a little apartment that every year we're worried we'll be forced out of due to another $100+ monthly rent increase.
Also it's been a while since we did the research but you need to have paid into a pension to get a pension here, you can't just show up as a retirement aged person and get (enough) government money, you need to have worked. Even then the pensions are nowhere close to even afford rent here. So in order to get aged parents over here you have to prove you make enough money to support them so the government doesn't have to because they don't want to import old poors who won't pay into the system and we don't make enough money to qualify. The other big problem is Canada is hosed economically right now. The rent on our little 800sqft apartment is $1500. A 2br condo in a lovely old building will run you about $350k and a house starts around 700k, all this on low and stagnant wages with poor job security and a grim economic outlook for the future.. Canada is not a place anyone should be trying to immigrate to for any reason other than money laundering, which is about the only thing this country is extremely good at.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

So things are going to poo poo in Macedonia: https://www.ft.com/content/af17531e-2b7c-11e7-bc4b-5528796fe35c

Based on what I've heard from someone living in Macedonia, and googling and looking at tweets about this poo poo, it seems like the country's been sitting on a powder keg that's now exploding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBkeVvDxgLs

Can't wait for Albania-Macedonia war after Albanian speaker of Macedonian parliament gets lynched.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Baronjutter posted:

Canada is not a place anyone should be trying to immigrate to for any reason other than money laundering, which is about the only thing this country is extremely good at.
I'm currently trying to immigrate to Canada because I don't want me and my family to die in Russia.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBkeVvDxgLs

Can't wait for Albania-Macedonia war after Albanian speaker of Macedonian parliament gets lynched.

I understand that main problem is that the coalition that includes Albanian parties wants to make Albanian an official language. It's currently only a 'regional language'. I'm trying to find insightful commentary in Croatian media but since our government is disintegrating (again :rolleyes:) there are hardly any other news (except football of course).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

I understand that main problem is that the coalition that includes Albanian parties wants to make Albanian an official language. It's currently only a 'regional language'. I'm trying to find insightful commentary in Croatian media but since our government is disintegrating (again :rolleyes:) there are hardly any other news (except football of course).

As of exactly 7 hours ago, our state media are reporting that the protesters have successfully broken through the police perimeter, and entered the parliament building.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As of exactly 7 hours ago, our state media are reporting that the protesters have successfully broken through the police perimeter, and entered the parliament building.

Broken or "broken"? Also they have done a lot more than entering the building...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Broken or "broken"? Also they have done a lot more than entering the building...
Not following the quote game here. Either way, a few hours later Russian state news have reported ~100 casualties, 22 policemen and 3 deputies including, citing Serbian TV. As per them, Interior Ministry was able to evacuate deputies, and then police used force to push the protesters back. They've also erected metal barriers around the parliament building.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Thanks for that even though I'm more interested in an analysis (what caused this political situation and what are possible outcomes) than hour-to-hour casualty count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

Thanks for that even though I'm more interested in an analysis (what caused this political situation and what are possible outcomes) than hour-to-hour casualty count.

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21718549-tensions-countrys-albanian-politicians-could-deteriorate-conflict-macedonian

As for potential outcomes, who knows. It's not like Balkan countries haven't gone to war over bruised honour before.