Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Voight-Kampff 2nd Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/854854496844824577

So the domestic violence poo poo they were talking about is already in the current pledge. Who could have guessed that this was all dog whistling furphy to appease PHON types and not a genuine shot at improving Australia? No one, that is who.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Bogan King posted:

https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/854854496844824577

So the domestic violence poo poo they were talking about is already in the current pledge. Who could have guessed that this was all dog whistling furphy to appease PHON types and not a genuine shot at improving Australia? No one, that is who.

While I agree it's dumb, it's not there as a test of knowledge, these are always to set expectations. See any international customs questions.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Why is 'under god' even in there. Freedom of religion is literally our only constitutionally defined right.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I was born here, I never had to pledge poo poo or jack.

Probably explains why so many Australia first types seem so uncommitted to rights and democracy.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooman posted:

I was born here, I never had to pledge poo poo or jack.

Probably explains why so many Australia first types seem so uncommitted to rights and democracy.

I remember at primary school during the weekly school assembly we used to read out the pledge. hosed if I can remember the words to it these days.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Q: Do you agree to not engage in domestic violence?

TONY ABBOTT: If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad boss is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband. Not withstanding all his or her faults, you find that he tends to do more good than harm.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

I remember at primary school during the weekly school assembly we used to read out the pledge. hosed if I can remember the words to it these days.

Nah we just sang the national anthem... both verses of course.

(I know there's actually like 4 more verses but they got culled)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why is 'under god' even in there. Freedom of religion is literally our only constitutionally defined right.

Doesn't seem to be a very secure right. See Easter trading restrictions.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hooman posted:

What could possibly be offputting about the fourth verse?

Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
Britannia then shall surely know,
Though oceans roll between,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green.
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

What could possibly be offputting about the fourth verse?

Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
Britannia then shall surely know,
Though oceans roll between,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green.
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

Just like the brave ANZACs at Gallipoli! :australia:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Those poor underappreciated boomers, so hard working and still so virile even in their old age, unlike those lazy, shifty, me first, millenials.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/apr/20/age-discrimination-older-australian-workers-viewed-as-slow-to-learn

Won't somebody think of the boomers!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

the perception among younger workers that the older generation are competition for increasingly scarce employment and advancement opportunities.
it's cool that this is dismissed as a false perception without being addressed at all. who knew, turns out there are infinite employment opportunities and the only reason we have record youth unemployment is because of the lazy millennials :)

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/854880720904306689

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
That Ludlam interview is really really good.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

hooman posted:

We did this as well, but around when I was in year three, our school got a new backing CD, so instead of a full orchestral backing to sing to, we then sang to the new didgeridoo CD. I feel like actually Indigenous people would probably have a thing or two to say about that, but it's not like there are that many of them in WA who we haven't locked up.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

hooman posted:

Those poor underappreciated boomers, so hard working and still so virile even in their old age, unlike those lazy, shifty, me first, millenials.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/apr/20/age-discrimination-older-australian-workers-viewed-as-slow-to-learn

Won't somebody think of the boomers!

You know not every boomer is a rich person with 8 houses right, sometimes they are people struggling week to week and increasing job opportunities for them is a good thing. You don't have to hate all old people

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Scylo posted:

You know not every boomer is a rich person with 8 houses right, sometimes they are people struggling week to week and increasing job opportunities for them is a good thing. You don't have to hate all old people

I don't hate all old people. It's just staggering to see this article come out totally uncritically in a country whose national passtime seems to be transferring wealth and opportunity from the young to the old and then blaming the victims for the outcomes. I guess I'm just a special snowflake who never tries and expects the world to fall into his lap.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Scylo posted:

:qq: NOT ALL BOOMERS :qq:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I became a citizen about 4 years ago, and the Under God bit was there, as was the choice not to say it (I didn't say it).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Unlike the noble Mr. Bolt who has never broken a single law in his entire life and definitely not the racial discrimination act section 18c.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

hooman posted:

Unlike the noble Mr. Bolt who has never broken a single law in his entire life and definitely not the racial discrimination act section 18c.

He didn't do it while high though - his was a calculated and sober decision to break the law.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
When you decide to break the law to take drugs you aren't always high yet

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

norp posted:

When you decide to break the law to take drugs you aren't always high yet

Only the first time you get high as from then on you should be staying high.

-------------------

https://twitter.com/adamliaw/status/854914441158180865

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And yet parliament still opens with a Christian prayer :shrug:

At least, in this country, you don't get poo poo on if you say you wish to affirm in court.

hooman posted:

You mean the "Australia is for white people" verses?

quote:

From England soil and Fatherland,
Scotia and Erin fair,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair.

In this case, Advance Australia Fair, "fair" means white.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Assuming Towelcum is still PM when next thread rolls around you can have this wonderful picture.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hooman posted:

I don't hate all old people. It's just staggering to see this article come out totally uncritically in a country whose national passtime seems to be transferring wealth and opportunity from the young to the old and then blaming the victims for the outcomes. I guess I'm just a special snowflake who never tries and expects the world to fall into his lap.

The whole generation thing is just a distraction to get people to fight against each other instead of capital (just replace the nationalities with generations in the the Mr Block cartoon). It's about rich and poor not old and young.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

open24hours posted:

The whole generation thing is just a distraction to get people to fight against each other instead of capital (just replace the nationalities with generations in the the Mr Block cartoon). It's about rich and poor not old and young.

We can still kill boomers as well as the rich.

----------------------------

https://twitter.com/samdastyari/status/854946354556059648

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

You're right it's transferring opportunity and money from the poor to the rich it's just that the rich at the moment are disproportionately older Australians.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Where are they getting this million dollar quarter hectare block to have the BBQ? Gotta have a backyard right?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No wait who am I kidding?

Future Australians will have their BBQs at one of the communal parks with BBQ facilities as it's the only place they can cook a hot meal outside of their homeless encampment between working 4 simultaneous pay-back wage theft jobs for exploitative business owners.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

DancingShade posted:

No wait who am I kidding?

Future Australians will have their BBQs at one of the communal parks with BBQ facilities as it's the only place they can cook a hot meal outside of their homeless encampment between working 4 simultaneous pay-back wage theft jobs for exploitative business owners.

Pay-back wage theft jobs are still more respectable than the current PR team for Transport NSW.

https://twitter.com/TrainsInfo/status/854949021328211968

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Pay-back wage theft jobs are still more respectable than the current PR team for Transport NSW.

https://twitter.com/TrainsInfo/status/854949021328211968

:cripes:

Someone got paid to make that. Would have fit right if posted to the dumb marketing moves thread.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I heard on the radio news that Mikala Cash(?) said that the Bush dosn't *need* internet connections and can get fine with what small business needs and they don't need city speed connections and it's fine that YOU PEOPLE don't have super fast NBN like those people in million dollar houses in Sydney,

Hey Green members? Get a TV ad up done with a clip of her saying it. Screen it in regions and have a local greens member, representative or someone else local to stand in front of it and say "We the Greens Support the people in the bush. The Liberal National Party does not. Here's an example. (Play the clip). The Greens don't believe that rubbish. We believe everyone should have fast internet to do their jobs, do their schooling and do their future (cut with shots of people in industry (solar if you insist!), farming, school kids). The LNP thinks you don't deserve a future for you or your family. Remember this at election time, we won't forget you, unlike the LNP who do".

Spend the money now, don't wait.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 20, 2017

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
That trains thing hits extra close to home considering the last time I tried to get an Opal card resulted in my wife getting hit with a 2k centrelink robo-debt because it decided my annual income was my weekly income for two months, so uhhhhhhhhhhh gently caress those guys.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

meteor9 posted:

That trains thing hits extra close to home considering the last time I tried to get an Opal card resulted in my wife getting hit with a 2k centrelink robo-debt because it decided my annual income was my weekly income for two months, so uhhhhhhhhhhh gently caress those guys.

Politician pay seriously needs to be managed via Centrelink. No hotlines.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Comstar posted:

I heard on the radio news that Mikala Cash(?) said that the Bush dosn't *need* internet connections and can get fine with what small business needs and they don't need city speed connections and it's fine that YOU PEOPLE don't have super fast NBN like those people in million dollar houses in Sydney,

Hey Green members? Get a TV ad up done with a clip of her saying it. Screen it in regions and have a local greens member, representative or someone else local to stand in front of it and say "We the Greens Support the people in the bush. The Liberal National Party does not. Here's an example. (Play the clip). The Greens don't believe that rubbish. We believe everyone should have fast internet to do their jobs, do their schooling and do their future (cut with shots of people in industry (solar if you insist!), farming, school kids). The LNP thinks you don't deserve a future for you or your family. Remember this at election time, we won't forget you, unlike the LNP who do".

Spend the money now, don't wait.

My old local MP (National) said the same thing to me a few years ago and also complained that focusing on high-speed internet was drawing attention and resources away from the entirely separate issue of mobile phone coverage. That guy is the current minister for small business.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/854133323991465984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also it's Michaelia Cash.

• Locked thread