Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Ah yes, I forgot jam bands are the height of improvised music. There is no other type of music that is improvised.

i mean technically jazz is just jamming.

what instruments do you play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bad Moon posted:

Is this Tingle?

I googled around so you don't have to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Who_Trespass

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

The story focuses on the revenge a television journalist exacts on network staff after disputes very similar to O'Reilly's real tensions with CBS (such as one involving Falklands War footage). The revenge takes the form of a series of graphically described murders.

Haha, holy poo poo he wrote his own fan-fiction book.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grittybeard posted:

Haha, holy poo poo he wrote his own fan-fiction book.

With a school shooter bend.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

imagine going to bat for loving jam bands

the lowest point of improvisational music

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jam "we wish we were the grateful dead or the allman brothers but we have no talent so it sounds like noise" bands

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I randomly discovered this Sports Jeopardy show on NBCSN after hockey ended and I'm like Al Bundy here, I know every answer instantly.

(the questions are too easy is what I'm saying)

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Alaois posted:

imagine going to bat for loving jam bands

the lowest point of improvisational music

Im just going to assume you and I are thinking of different things here

E: I guess i will elaborate to say that certain bands play their music live and it sounds exactly like the track they recorded it on originally.

I like the bands that get tired of playing the same loving song 300 nights a year and improv it and change it up while still keeping it true to the original.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 20, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's harder than it was/there are harder categories for me than I saw at first, but all three guys just saw a picture of a wishbone formation and couldn't identify it. Which is completely mind blowing to me and makes me think the whole thing is scripted.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Jam "we wish we were the grateful dead or the allman brothers but we have no talent so it sounds like noise" bands

dog have you heard recordings of the Grateful Dead

they're loving rubbish

Allman Brothers is some good poo poo though

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Casey Jones, Truckin and China Cat Sunflower are some good poo poo I dunno

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"These people who spend their lives finding and collecting live recordings of Grateful Dead concerts, are they doing that in the hopes of eventually finding the good one?"

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I'm guessing yall are stuck on the west coast?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TeeMerk posted:

I'm guessing yall are stuck on the west coast?

New Jersey, and I have no idea what that has to do with anything

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

<continuously makes vague posts about how I'm right and you're wrong about loving jam bands without providing support or examples>

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Spoeank posted:

<continuously makes vague posts about how I'm right and you're wrong about loving jam bands without providing support or examples>

E: I guess i will elaborate to say that certain bands play their music live and it sounds exactly like the track they recorded it on originally.

I like the bands that get tired of playing the same loving song 300 nights a year and improv it and change it up while still keeping it true to the original.

lol grateful dead and phish and all that poo poo, I think we have two different ideas.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

loving take 30 seconds away from shopping for vape supplies and post what the gently caress you're talking about then instead of just being a condescending prick Jesus Christ

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TeeMerk posted:

yes that is exactly, word for word, what you said earlier and no it still doesn't make any more sense

quote:

lol grateful dead and phish and all that poo poo, I think we have two different ideas.

Grateful Dead and Phish are encyclopedia examples of the concept of a "jam band" so I think you're the one with the different ideas here

I think the concept you're groping toward is "bands that improvise when they play live" which is

nearly every band ever so great job on that bold stance

Alaois fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 20, 2017

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Pretty sure I saw a jam band once. Couldn't tell you anything about the music but the outfits and lights were a great compliment to my acid.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TeeMerk posted:

Queensryche did this at least once. It didn't really make me like Queensryche but I was kind of impressed.

e: Oh that's a bad thing? I mean like it sounded like it was made in a studio while (I assume) was actually played live which is not what I was expecting.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 20, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I just discovered that The Fall of Troy reunited and I couldn't be happier. :rock:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My favorite genre is 80's music that I can leave as a suicide note

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

My favorite genre is 80's music that I can leave as a suicide note

unironically love the smiths

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Grateful Dead and Phish are jam bands and awful, I have no idea what other definition there is for it.

Also, imagine going to bat for improvised music then dismissing jazz lol.

"How many instruments do you play?" is the music version of "Do you even lift bro?!"

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jam bands are loving horrible and I can't believe some rando just dropped into a football forum's off-topic chat to white knight them, lol

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jam bands are the oblivious moron at the college party who sits in the corner noodling on his acoustic guitar that everyone is too polite to tell to leave the room

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Spoeank posted:

I think you have a mental condition. What musical instruments do you play?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Jam bands exist in the same category as white guy in his early 20s with accoustic guitar

They may be good but I have looked at the odds and I am not gonna take my chances

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

unironically love the smiths

PYF 80's songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuObGsB0No

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuO3wwLuF0w

fsif fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 20, 2017

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Jazz and jam bands is the apex of "white people ruining black music".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Jazz and jam bands is the apex of "white people ruining black music".

Ska

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Even after they lost their lead singer and overall creative genius, they just shrugged, changed their names, and became one of the best bands of all time.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
80s music gave us the two greatest pop songs of all time: Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time and Michael Jackson's Billy Jean.

This was the first music video I ever saw so it holds a special place in my heart but it helps that the song owns.

https://youtu.be/djV11Xbc914

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Please don't trigger me I'm Sami Zayn.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im feeling some steak rollups today from zoey's cafe for lunch after my pt and before an AP test

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Even after they lost their lead singer and overall creative genius, they just shrugged, changed their names, and became one of the best bands of all time.

I didn't click on the vid and for a second got really worried you were referring to starship

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
The Grateful Dead Are Good

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I didn't click on the vid and for a second got really worried you were referring to starship

i mean duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

80s music is weird because the synth music that used artificial sounds is still super good but the music that used synth instruments instead of real ones has aged terribly.

I cannot listen to Graceland anymore without just thinking "christ Paul why didn't you just use real instruments"

Also best 80s band is Was (Not Was). Fight me.

• Locked thread