Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

alcaras posted:

Awesome, thank you.

Now I just need a mod to ignore ground combat and auto-successfully-invade planets that have been bombarded to zero and a huge majority of my oh-god-the-micro complaints will be resolved.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887011008&searchtext=bombardment+capture

Not sure about some of the other changes, but this has that so it is doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

frogge posted:

Every endgame crisis I get is the loving unbidden and for the first time ever I was finally able to amass a fleet to take them out. Now what do I do- Build ring worlds until my computer can no longer process actions of the game?
New game? :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm hearing a lot of complaints that unbidden are basically the only end-game threat now.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm running into a really weird bug where a tomb world in my space keeps spontaneously colonizing itself. I've got the habitability to handle it but I wouldn't even have noticed except a Fallen Empire keeps hassling me to stop treading on graves. I tried taking it out of the sector it was in (which wasn't set up to colonize anyway) but it still happened. Has anyone run into this? I'm halfway to just consoling the world out of existence.

EDIT: I had to actually do just that. The FE declared war with the only demands being that they wanted me to stop colonizing a world I didn't even want to begin with. So I immediately declared surrender, they executed my leader, and I turned the world into a Barren planet. What a weird bug.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 20, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm hearing a lot of complaints that unbidden are basically the only end-game threat now.

The Unbidden are the only end game crisis I haven't seen, which is odd, since I usually race to Jump Drives.

I also have never seen a War in Heaven fire (though I have killed my fair share of Awakened Ascendancys).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Until 1.5 came along the Swarm were the only crisis that would ever hit my games and since then I've had nothing but the Unbidden, even without having researched Jump Drives (though they are usually being researched or I've gotten them scanned). I've still never seen an AI rebellion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've played thought maybe only a dozen end games, 75% of them unbidden, 25% swarm. Never once seen AI rebellion but I'm usually always playing some form of robo-friendly materialists.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I've had the AI rights question that is the prelude for the rebellion come up. But I had converted myself to synthetics by that point anyway so I just gave them the full rights forever. Does that stop the crisis from occurring in an sp game?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Does anyone remember who posted (or can link me where the conversation began) on ship design, stuff about cruiser/corvette fleets using kinetic artillery, plasma, and energy torpedos?

This thread moves too fast and I have no idea where that was.

Thanks!

edit: nevermind, found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806554&pagenumber=200&perpage=40#post471397315

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 20, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

HiKaizer posted:

I've had the AI rights question that is the prelude for the rebellion come up. But I had converted myself to synthetics by that point anyway so I just gave them the full rights forever. Does that stop the crisis from occurring in an sp game?

iirc it stops it originating in your empire or affecting your robots (whereas perfected servant AI just stops it originating in your empire)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Until 1.5 came along the Swarm were the only crisis that would ever hit my games and since then I've had nothing but the Unbidden, even without having researched Jump Drives (though they are usually being researched or I've gotten them scanned). I've still never seen an AI rebellion.

This is where I was / am. I had to edit a save to get the only AI rebellion I've seen (which is fine; that crisis sucks and is unfun).

PittTheElder posted:

I also have never seen a War in Heaven fire (though I have killed my fair share of Awakened Ascendancys).

For a War in Heaven you have let multiple FEs awaken, and even then it's only a chance (20% if the mix isn't either Xenophile-Xenophobe or Materialist-Spiritualist, 40% if the mix is either of those 2). And they can't have awakened in response to a crisis.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So far I've put in 175 hours into Stellaris total (bought at release) and never once seen anything but War In Heaven and Unbidden on any patch level.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

nessin posted:

So far I've put in 175 hours into Stellaris total (bought at release) and never once seen anything but War In Heaven and Unbidden on any patch level.

I've taken out the space squids once, had a grump old man wake up once. Never seen an AI rebellion, never seen the unbidden. One of the players in our current game just stole jump drives from the black hole xenomorph, so hopefully we'll get the Unbidden this time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ulmont posted:

This is where I was / am. I had to edit a save to get the only AI rebellion I've seen (which is fine; that crisis sucks and is unfun).

For a War in Heaven you have let multiple FEs awaken, and even then it's only a chance (20% if the mix isn't either Xenophile-Xenophobe or Materialist-Spiritualist, 40% if the mix is either of those 2). And they can't have awakened in response to a crisis.

Empires awakened due to the crisis in heaven WILL enthusiastically join in on any war in heaven that starts or is ongoing however.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Before I go digging into how to do it myself, assuming it's possible, is there an existing mod to change the cost of resettling populations from influence to energy? I was just playing a slaver race and I thought that'd be a perfect alternative to dump energy since for the moment you're basically left with the Enclaves and Terraforming, and it doesn't make sense that if you moving around slaves or moving your own people to better locations (and possibly out of slavery) it shouldn't take the one resource which makes managing slaves across multiple planets basically impossible.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Lprsti99 posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887011008&searchtext=bombardment+capture

Not sure about some of the other changes, but this has that so it is doable.

Thanks! I'll see if I can figure out how to simplify to remove the other changes, but this should be a great starting point.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Habitats are weird. You can build them by the truckload but they can house as many pops as a small planet.

Maybe make their costs increase dramatically if there's already habitat(s) in the same system?

Or make them tiny (4 pops) but all the habs in one system can share the same governor and info panel?

Or remove the pops from them entirely and make them into souped-up mining/research stations, with like 5-10x the normal gather rate but a cap per system/empire?
(Maybe a version of this where you get a pop-up to choose which species is going to be the basis for your station, like the colonising pop-up, but you don't actually have a pop on it to manage. If you want to change the pop, build it again or have a button to change for a cost or something idk)

As for rings, the ring frame should be cheap, and then you bolt on somewhat expensive habitable sections as you need them. There should probably be some mechanism to discourage spamming rings too hard, maybe expensive one-off influence cost to build the ring? (And influence pay-off for filling a ring completely?)

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 20, 2017

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

GotLag posted:

Habitats are weird. You can build them by the truckload but they can house as many pops as a small planet.

Maybe make their costs increase dramatically if there's already habitat(s) in the same system?

Or make them tiny (4 pops) but all the habs in one system can share the same governor and info panel?

You still get tech and unity cost penalties as if habitat was a planet, if not for special buildings they would not be ever worth using, just like 12 size planets aren't worth colonizing. Even then, only energy and research buildings are on par with planetary buildings or better, and sectors tend to use habitats extremely poorly. And if you're planning to spend a lot of minerals to get energy, why not build another Dyson sphere?

Does constructed ring count as 1 for core planet limit, like the ring I stole from fallen empire? If so, that's probably second best thing to build after Dysons.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 20, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Pyromancer posted:

Does constructed ring count as 1 for core planet limit, like the ring I stole from fallen empire? If so, that's probably second best thing to build after Dysons.

Core is capped by system count, not planets/habitats/rings.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe the answer is to eliminate 'free' resources. Alphamod, while being a spergy kitchensink hell, is pretty cool in the way it treats strategic resources by introducing somewhat complex resource chains. If you eliminate the ability for power plants and mines to generate resources out of the ground and replace it with a simple resource chain you could eliminate the colossal stacking effect that habitats have on energy generation.

Mines only generate minerals on deposits and will generate a fossil/nuclear fuel source that can supply a power plant. These aren't global resources and can't be traded off world so they count for local chains only. Orbital habitats would then not become a planet on its own but an add-on for already colonized planets that utilize that planets and basically give it extra slots. The special buildings you place inside the habitats would be more efficient than planetary ones as the main draw. Paradox would also be able to generate a few cool skins for the habitats like orbital rings that span the entire planet etc.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dr Snofeld posted:

What do you guys do by way of galaxy generation settings? I've just been going by the defaults, only switching between elliptical and spiral shapes now and then.

Large or huge and elliptical. In like 1 game out of 5 I'll take spiral shapes instead. Of course always with all three FTL-types allowed (sorry guys, but I think gimmicks like forcing one singular FTL is best reserved to small, fast paced special games, it's too boring for larger maps).

I generally go with a 2 FE, 3-4 advanced and 5-6 total empires, to give the galaxy a harrowing, empty feeling without making it a complete wasteland. Planets are set to 75% when I go with the lower values for empires, 50% when I fill the galaxy a bit more up.

But now that habitats are a thing, I'm considering going even lower with my planet-setting for the next game.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Demiurge4 posted:

If you eliminate the ability for power plants and mines to generate resources out of the ground and replace it with a simple resource chain you could eliminate the colossal stacking effect that habitats have on energy generation.
I thought we were trying to reduce micromanagement in Stellaris, not increase it?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Baronjutter posted:

I have run into the Unbidden so many times that getting utterly decimated by the AI Rebellion was a pleasant surprise! The Unbidden, FEs, and Zerg should really get random loadouts and fleets to add some replayability to the end game. I think something like 2 or 3 different setups per crisis would keep it fresh without screwing the player.

GlyphGryph posted:

Empires awakened due to the crisis in heaven WILL enthusiastically join in on any war in heaven that starts or is ongoing however.

My current one has 3 AEs and they're loving everybody up. I'm a fanatic pacifist / materialist stuck between two of them (my overlord and the militant) yet nobody has actually attacked me. I am thinking it's because I killed the Unbidden? I have a massive fleet but the two AEs opposed to me are both superior so I have no idea why they're letting me live.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 20, 2017

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
The AEs aren't "evil" in that they're just attacking anybody. They follow both their philosophy and the usual standing rules. If you don't trigger their RAAARGH condition and generally keep your standing up by not doing any of the things that also turn regular empires hostile they tend to leave you alone.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

peak debt posted:

The AEs aren't "evil" in that they're just attacking anybody. They follow both their philosophy and the usual standing rules. If you don't trigger their RAAARGH condition and generally keep your standing up by not doing any of the things that also turn regular empires hostile they tend to leave you alone.

As someone who once got wedged in by two FEs and had to suffer an endless conga line of humiliating demands, are AEs really that different from their still sleeping cousins?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Libluini posted:

As someone who once got wedged in by two FEs and had to suffer an endless conga line of humiliating demands, are AEs really that different from their still sleeping cousins?

Yeah, the AE would have just conquered you.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, the AE would have just conquered you.

So in other words, peak debt is wrong. Because being nice certainly did not lead them to leave me alone.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Libluini posted:

So in other words, peak debt is wrong. Because being nice certainly did not lead them to leave me alone.

The xenophobe empire has border friction as a trigger. And maybe you hosed with the spiritualists holy world? The xenophile empire also really hates slavery/genocide.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, FEs have pretty clear TRIGGER WARNINGS and can be avoided relatively easily. The xenophile FE doesn't even declare on you for genocide any more.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-69-beyond-utopia.1015396/

New dev diary. No news beyond Clothes for Plants and Wiz showing off his achievement list. Oh, and Adams shouldn't be too far off. I'd bet May.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

peak debt posted:

The xenophobe empire has border friction as a trigger. And maybe you hosed with the spiritualists holy world? The xenophile empire also really hates slavery/genocide.

Well, one of them was xenophobe. Ironically that one didn't do too much, probably because I was just a tiny bit too far away from their borders or something.

The other one was one of those protectors-of-knowledge ones. They kept asking me to give up my poor Centipede-scientists! :argh:

(To be honest, sometimes they also send a small gift, but overall it was a rather obnoxious experience.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Reading Wiz's update it sounds like we'll have to wait until Card or Herbert for a major change to warfare.

EDIT: This person from Reddit seems to care quite a bit about armies.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 20, 2017

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Ok so the pop growth mechanic does not work the way I think it does, if you manage to stack -100% growth time you grow a pop every single month on a planet.

Yeah. :stare:

The way I did it was Fertile (-30%), fanatic spiritualist edict (-20%), genome mapping (-10%), New Life (-10%), New Generation (-10%), Consecrated World (-10%), Frontier Hospital (-10%).

Edit: The makes the whole habitat +10 energy mid-late game strategy even more insane.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 20, 2017

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

Ok so the pop growth mechanic does not work the way I think it does, if you manage to stack -100% growth time you grow a pop every single month on a planet.

The way I did it was Fertile (-30%), fanatic spiritualist edict (-20%), genome mapping (-10%), New Life (-10%), New Generation (-10%), Consecrated World (-10%), Frontier Hospital (-10%).

Edit: The makes the whole habitat +10 energy mid-late game strategy even more insane.

So you've literally created an orgy planet then?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

WMain00 posted:

So you've literally created an orgy planet then?

Unbidden about to hit reality like the great devourer herself.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

So, he basically wants EU-style land combat? I don't see much of an improvement, but whatever.

EDIT: boarding and capturing enemy ships after shields go down instead of destroying them would be nice, just add optional army module to existing ships instead of having separate transport ships.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 20, 2017

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

A Tartan Tory posted:

You would need bioengineering for Fertile, right?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

BabyFur Denny posted:

You would need bioengineering for Fertile, right?

You need the biological ascension and consecrated planets perks to pull this off yeah, I built an entire empire around shortening edict cost and spamming unity to do it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Demiurge4 posted:

Unbidden about to hit reality like the great devourer herself.

And then get shitstomped by the super economy that gives

It occurred to me that they're the one and only fleet action I have had in this entire game I'm playing so far. Just the entirely passive for over a century hive mind just suddenly going :catstare: NO and then buggering off back to their space to start making a ringworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

So, he basically wants EU-style land combat? I don't see much of an improvement, but whatever.

EDIT: boarding and capturing enemy ships after shields go down instead of destroying them would be nice, just add optional army module to existing ships instead of having separate transport ships.

The key addition in my view would be something like combat width and a sense of an ongoing campaign. If you can get that while losing some of the pointless micro that would be great.

• Locked thread