Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OSI bean dip posted:

http://www.tenable.com/security/research/tra-2017-17

quote:

2015-08-15 - Issue Discovered
2015-08-15 - Vendor Informed via opmanager-support@manageengine.com
2015-08-15 - Auto-acknowledgement, Issue ##2362921 created
2015-08-20 - Vendor pinged
2015-08-20 - CVE Requested
2015-08-24 - Vendor acknowledgement, Issue ##7283732 now assigned
2015-09-08 - Ping CVE regarding assignment
2015-09-24 - #7283732 arbitrarily closed w/o explanation
2015-09-24 - Mail vendor asking why, and what the disposition is
2015-09-25 - Vendor auto-opens a new ticket ##2456074
2015-11-24 - Ping vendor for update
2015-12-21 - Ping vendor for update, again
2016-02-17 - Ping vendor for update, yet again
2016-02-17 - Vendor auto-opens a new ticket ##2780684, because we need more tickets apparently
2016-02-22 - Vendor says Dev could not reproduce originally and closed ticket without word, asked for "vulnerable URLs" again
2016-02-22 - Resent info, reminded them of pitfalls of XSS testing using copy/paste into modern browsers
2016-03-10 - Vendor replies, they are "still analysing the issue"
2016-03-18 - Tenable emails a new security contact asking for help resolving this
2016-04-14 - Ping vendor for update, again...
2016-04-14 - Vendor auto-assigns ##7404496 and ##7404497. Because we needed 6 tickets for this.
2016-04-25 - Vendor closes ##7404497## as they "have not heard from us".
2016-04-25 - Strongly worded reply sent challenging their commitment to security, along with this timeline.
2016-04-25 - Vendor says they saw our mail confirming ##7283732 was resolved, despite never saying that. Re-sent bits of the timeline again to illustrate point.
2016-04-27 - Vendor says it will be fixed end of May, will notify us when patch available.
2016-06-22 - Ping vendor for update
2016-06-22 - Vendor auto-opens two new tickets, ##7440149 and ##7440150. Eight tickets and counting...
2016-06-23 - Vendor provides configuration-based workaround
2016-06-29 - Tenable informs vendor we will test ASAP
2016-06-29 - Vendor auto-opens two new tickets, ##7443584## and ##7443585##. Ten tickets, ha ha ha.
2016-07-21 - Tenable confirms workaround fixes issue. Contacts vendor, removes extraneous ticket references, asks when it will be integrated into a release.
2016-07-21 - Vendor auto-opens ##3161231##, ##7453636##, and ##7453637##. *sigh*
2016-07-22 - Vendor acks mail, says they will get an ETA on a real patch. Somehow ##2255088## gets injected into subject line in addition to other tickets.
2016-07-25 - Vendor says they will be releasing it as a patch, which does not answer our question.
2016-08-18 - Ping vendor for patch release status. Wait for new tickets to be assigned...
2016-08-18 - Vendor auto-opens ##7467301##, ##7467302##, and ##7467303##. That makes 16 tickets...
2016-08-18 - Vendor says a "high priority issue" being worked on, no patch yet.
2916-09-29 - Ping vendor for update.
2016-09-30 - Vendor replies, will check with development team
2016-09-29 - Vendor auto-opens ##7487592##, ##7487593##, and ##7487594##. That makes 19 tickets...
2016-10-03 - Vendor replies, "We are working on this issue and this is currently in testing phase."
2017-01-19 - Ping vendor for update.
2017-01-19 - Vendor auto-opens ##2255088##. 20 tickets for this issue, do we win something?!
2017-01-31 - Vendor releases 9.0 Build 9241, does not notify us
2017-03-31 - Ping vendor for update
2017-03-31 - Vendor auto-opens ##8042429##
2017-03-31 - Vendor says the "issues" (plural) reported were fixed. Provides two internal tracking IDs and builds, no indication which ID tracks with the single issue reported.
2017-03-31 - Tenable asks for clarification.
2017-04-03 - Vendor gives generic "upgrade the app to latest build" advice, does not answer our question.
2017-04-03 - Tenable asks the question again, using slightly different wording.
2017-04-04 - Vendor says they would like to discuss this on a phone call.
2017-04-04 - Tenable politely declines, asks the same two questions which can trivially be answered via email.
2017-04-11 - Vendor gives fixing info for 9.0 and SD cross reference
2017-04-12 - Tenable asks about 9.1 tree fix
2017-04-15 - Vendor says it is not fixed in the 9.1 series
2017-04-18 - Tenable asks for 9.1 ETA
2017-04-19 - Vendor says they will not release hotfixes for 9.1
a year and a half cmon man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

James Baud posted:

If it dodges 99% of low-effort attacks, it is "improving" security. Re: the latter, administrative hassle is a biggy

what's your favorite antivirus

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQ

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

congrats u picked a weird port
its on shodan anyway

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

i'm going to be putting an appliance on the internet to receive phi and there's no obvious method of telling sshd or the admin web interface to bind to a separate network interface. i opened a ticket and asked them how to do that and they said they'd have to check with an engineer and that's not a very good sign. the only shell access you're allowed to get is a chroot jail or something so i think i'm going to have to boot into single-user mode to get around it. maybe i'll even find a hardcoded backdoor account!
it's running centos 5.11 lol
e: ah gently caress openssh 4.3p2, openssl 0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 this is insanely old

everything else seems to be less then a decade old
apache 2.4.16
postgresql 9.4.5
bash 3.2.25(1)-release

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 20, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

James Baud posted:

You know, you've actually met me at an industry thing, but the bar to get into those is pretty low. ;)

apparently so

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

James Baud posted:

You know, you've actually met me at an industry thing, but the bar to get into those is pretty low. ;)

I bet that was a relief when you found out you could get in.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if only the convention centre put the doors in a nonstandard location

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So I use nmap all the loving time. If you have a service that doesn't just barf out whatever the gently caress it is to any ole synack (or anything) and you put it on a non-standard port you have a good chance of making sure people have no idea what the gently caress it is.

For example, NJE defaults to port 175. Unless you send a very specific packet with the right user/pass combo (I'm simplifying here) it just sends a RST packet.

You put that on some weird rear end port like 60666 there's no way an attacker will know what it is.

On top of that, in an enterprise environment scanning one host with nmap -p- takes me about 10-15 minutes. I have 100 systems included in a pentest, thats 25 hours to just check open ports. Forget banner grabbing with -sV.

Obviously you can just speed that up with masscan, but lol you'll get detected so loving fast using masscan and hopefully blocked, so whats the point.

I'm not saying it's good security, like, how does putting sshd on port 42069 make it any harder to find it? But I can understand why less experienced people might see moving a port away from standard can have any effect on security because it appears to obfuscate. And does lower the risk (a minuscule amount) from automated poo poo hitting it and getting lucky, but if your box gets popped cause the username/password was in some default wordlist used by those bots your company is hosed anyway.

I'll caution with this though, if you're in an enterprise and they have all these lovely custom apps running on non-default ports, your asset tracking (IP/Port to Application) better be spot loving on. Otherwise you're gonna be hosed when something like struts comes calling. And this feeds back in to logging. If you can't map IP/Port back to an application back to an owner and use some weird custom port ranges to track that poo poo for forensics you're hosed long term.

Edit: Also, wanted to add, nmaps tcp probes are hot garbage. So say you put a weird server (some weird sip server) on a non-standard port. There's a very good change nmap won't be able to do the banner correlation because of the way those rules are written. You can fix that with some flags but most people don't even know this is a potential problem. If you put it on the standard port it will find it in half a second. Not saying it'll stop someone of YOSPOS caliber but it'll stop most script kiddies and/or pentesters at trustwave.

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

:drat:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Most companies also don't put signage on their datacenters. Why? :iiam:

But yeah, convention centers are an apt comparison. Was a car metaphor unavailable?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Edit: Also, wanted to add, nmaps tcp probes are hot garbage. So say you put a weird server (some weird sip server) on a non-standard port. There's a very good change nmap won't be able to do the banner correlation because of the way those rules are written. You can fix that with some flags but most people don't even know this is a potential problem. If you put it on the standard port it will find it in half a second. Not saying it'll stop someone of YOSPOS caliber but it'll stop most script kiddies and/or pentesters at trustwave.
if you ever want to have fun with this xtables-addons-common makes for a hilarious ctf box, their results will be 99% garbage and once a tool's broke lot of contestants hit a brick wall

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i fought really hard to not have tenable's nessus installed in a production environment because of government requirements, to the point where we had to get a special exemption. i dragged my feet until we were allowed to just run nessus on some separate VPC with just some instances of the AMIs we used instead of opening a port to the world so the feds could run their dumb scanning tools.

whenever i get a notice that there's some weird privilege escalation or remote execution exploit that needs to be patched, theres not a smugdog in the world large enough.

total incompetence is pretty standard when dealing with the government, right?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/xor/status/854833469880283136

boy our security's egregious

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

that dudes twitter handle is worth a fortune

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

wouldn't noise cancelling require outside mics and "media information" on it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

it's running centos 5.11 lol
e: ah gently caress openssh 4.3p2, openssl 0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 this is insanely old

everything else seems to be less then a decade old
apache 2.4.16
postgresql 9.4.5
bash 3.2.25(1)-release

They probably installed the those by hand or from some random repo. If you're lucky they used centos software collections but probably not. it's all moot anyway because CentOS 5.11 is unsupported as of like 2 weeks ago.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

no highs, no lows, customer data flows

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

They probably installed the those by hand or from some random repo. If you're lucky they used centos software collections but probably not. it's all moot anyway because CentOS 5.11 is unsupported as of like 2 weeks ago.
it has its own updater for some things, like java and its application and i think apache, and i've opened a ticket to ask how they're planning on updating centos 5.11. i didn't check to see if it had any custom repos, so maybe it's using yum or rpm and they have their own repo. there's a newer version of this appliance and documentation suggests it came out last october but the version on the ova they gave me was from a year ago and it doesn't look like it upgrades to that version. maybe it uses centos 6 or sles or something, who knows

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 20, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

not sent through an app to a tracking firm

my qc20s don't have an app

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

And I don't believe they need that information anyway. They have what they need, the audio signal, from the device plugged into the headphones.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

outside mics yes, and nothing else

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's ok guys things with mics have ne... hang on

MCDONALD'S!

anyway, as i was saying

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Storysmith posted:

no highs, no lows, customer data flows

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lol. trashcan? recycle bin? nope, we got a dumpster!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

Lol. trashcan? recycle bin? nope, we got a dumpster!

much like

*dances a little jig to some funky bass*

you're posting

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i always assumed Apple had trademarked the idea of a trashcan which is why windows has a recycle bin and I assume why that thing has a dumpster

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ate all the Oreos posted:

i always assumed Apple had trademarked the idea of a trashcan which is why windows has a recycle bin and I assume why that thing has a dumpster

dumpster(tm) brand mobile garbage bins is a trademark

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

dumpster(tm) brand mobile garbage bins is a trademark

well maybe but so is escalator and trampoline

and heroin apparently

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

apple wastefully throws away your unused data where Microsoft recycles it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

apple wastefully throws away your unused data where Microsoft recycles it.

MODS NEW THREAD TITLE TIA

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i fought really hard to not have tenable's nessus installed in a production environment because of government requirements, to the point where we had to get a special exemption. i dragged my feet until we were allowed to just run nessus on some separate VPC with just some instances of the AMIs we used instead of opening a port to the world so the feds could run their dumb scanning tools.

whenever i get a notice that there's some weird privilege escalation or remote execution exploit that needs to be patched, theres not a smugdog in the world large enough.
what about pre-auth rce? https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/41892/

burning swine
May 26, 2004

reuse your bits

but also

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

:eyepop:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not sent through an app to a tracking firm

my qc20s don't have an app

no, not that digitizing external audio for processing through an app is required to do noise cancelling, DSP's have the functionality built in now

im saying that it's written so broadly as to enable them to hoover up every sound around you, not just what's ostensibly being played

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

flosofl posted:

I bet that was a relief when you found out you could get in.

security pro who knows all about firewalls and posts the weakest burns

a shameful sec bro

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
brace yourselves

https://twitter.com/tumult/status/855082563395768321

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
artisanal handcrafted wooden memcpy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
a revolution in audio rendering

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so I noticed a weird icon in sleep cycle when going to bed last night and after a quick google search:

https://support.sleepcycle.com/hc/en-us/articles/207392375-What-does-the-link-symbol-on-my-night-screen-mean-?mobile_site=true

quote:

What does the link symbol on my night screen mean?

Carl Johan Hederoth 07/08/2016
If both you and your partner use Sleep Cycle with the microphone as the motion detector, the two installations will automatically link both phones to each other over Wi-Fi and the name of the other device is shown on the night screen.
Using this link-technology we can detect where in bed a sound originates with an accuracy of 30 cm (1 feet).

The link feature is for those who share room or bed.
It won't affect you in any way if you're not in the same room.
If you don't want it to link up, turn off WiFi on your device.

HMMM HOW COULD THIS POSSIBLY GO WRONG??

for what it's worth I'm at a hotel. my phone has been broadcasting a recording of my sleep to strangers for who knows how long. great job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

funny Star Wars parody posted:

that dudes twitter handle is worth a fortune

at least 15k. this is based on having sold a five-character twitter handle for 10k.

• Locked thread