Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bloodychill posted:

The "FF8 gets busted" point was when you could buy and refine tents not long after the first section, right?

IMO it's busted as soon as you leave the Garden for Ifrit's cave and grind out 120 AP for Card Mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Kelp Me! posted:

IMO it's busted as soon as you leave the Garden for Ifrit's cave and grind out 120 AP for Card Mod

Stares at FF8, its knees buckle and it falls over under the harsh glare of the gamer.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Stares at FF8, its knees buckle and it falls over under the harsh glare of the gamer.

but FF8 is in my top 3-4 :confused:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you get arrested if you try to play FFV during any other time of the year

doing the FJF is as much a challenge run as it is like, a sort of collective experience. its fun to talk about things that a bunch of other people are doing and talking about at the same time, it's the same reason someone playing a game that just came out (and posting about it, talking about it, seeing youtube reviews of it, etc.) may have a drastically different experience from someone who plays that same game two years later when it has fallen out of the Gamer Zeitgeist even if both people have similar tastes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you get arrested if you try to play FFV during any other time of the year

life hack: doing fun things with other people tends to make it more fun

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
So, remember how I was saying that Dissidia AC music was all over the place?

https://soundcloud.com/takeharu-ishimoto/dissidia-final-fantasy-ultema-the-nice-body-arrange-from-final-fantasy-tactics

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:allbuttons: it's like they intentionally went for "GBA Castlevania" in both style and instrument quality

e: for any poor soul who never played FFT here's the original for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjfnsRctM74

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

At least the music's g... oh... oh no...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

:allbuttons: it's like they intentionally went for "GBA Castlevania" in both style and instrument quality

Nah, Harmony of Dissonance sounds better.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Maybe it's cause I didn't play FFT when it originally came out so I don't have as big nostalgia for that song like others, but I like the new arrangement better? The beat is defined much more clearly + is slightly heavier which sounds a lot better for a fighting/whatever-genre-dissidia-is, and the use of chip sounds cute imo. Reminds me of the Pokken Soundtrack, which was also a good listen.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles is a better open world RPG than FFXV as well. Though XC is one of the best, period, and the music is equally amazing.

Hell yeah, and the composer's work on FFXV is incredible as well.

Xenoblade is super underrated! Maybe not here.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

What the gently caress

Nevermind, Japan, we don't want this game anymore. You can just leave it in arcades, I think we'll be fine without it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sounds like something you'd hear in a WIP mix on OCRemix.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The soundtrack seems to largely be just throwing instruments/MIDI voices in haphazardly to draw out a new sound from an old piece. Sometimes it's alright or at least serviceable and sometimes it's unpleasantly discordant like that last one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kelp Me! posted:

e: for any poor soul who never played FFT here's the original for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjfnsRctM74

What the gently caress, this doesn't sound anything like Team Rocket's Hideout, this is clearly the inferior product.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

There is no grind because the prince starts with Haste and Berserk high enough that you can basically one-shot the boss.

Scott absolutely gets his poo poo wrecked by normal enemies when you get him and unless you're fleeing your way to the final boss (and good luck because even in the remake the flee mechanic is horrible) you're going to get murdered in a hurry. Plus if you didn't get some grind in for Ricard and Josef they'll be dead after a single hit from the Emperor anyways.

Vargatron posted:

It tried too hard to be an MMO and had a very broken leveling curve. If you wanted to do the main story exclusively, it was really easy for the encounters to way over level you. This also negatively impacted the story pacing whenever you had to go grind out mobs until you could actually kill the story boss.

I get that they wanted to deviate a bit from Xenoblade Chronicles and that it originally started out as it's own game, but there were some definite design elements that were lost in translation between the two games.

This was a problem I hit when I got to the late/end game. I could've solved it by grinding money to get a level 50 skell, or 3, which would've utterly trivialized the remaining boss fight(s) but yeah the pacing in that game was just really off at times and while I could've gotten the money quickly via a DLC character's storyline, I had never used the DLC character and IIRC you need max affection to get the ability to craft her skell and affection leveling was pure loving torture. Didn't use a character constantly while exploring and running main/story missions? Get hosed because you're looking at hours and hours of tedious poo poo.

I could've forgiven most/all of their grindy poo poo if multiplayer actually existed outside of the world tyrant fights because being able to play through the main game with a friend or 3 (stick the mandatory waifus in a reserve with not-Riki or something) would've made it so much better.

Dross posted:

If "once you know what you're doing" is a criterion then I'd argue 5 should be above 6 in that list. It's THE most abusable system, and even though you can hack and slash your way through it like any other FF game, there's a reason why there's that whole huge community centered around different kinds of restrictive challenges. The game is almost TOO easy if you

You don't need to grind to completely break FF5's difficulty. Just knowing what blue magic is where is enough. Hell the first 4JF I finished was a team of White Mage, White Mage, Black Mage, Geomancer(:shepicide:) and while beating liquid flame with white mages sucked, as soon as I had access to black magic the game lost all challenge*.

*except for archeoveis or w/e the earth crystal boss is called because in one of his phases I could only hurt it with melee attacks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also while 5 can be stupid broken, no way in hell I'd have it as easier than the game where Tools and Blitz can carry you through the game's first half, Rage ends up being one of the silliest god drat broken things in the entire series, Vanish/Doom or X-Zone can annihilate almost everything, and Magic in general is at its most absurdly powerful.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

What the gently caress, this doesn't sound anything like Team Rocket's Hideout, this is clearly the inferior product.

are you being sarcastic it's impossible to tell with you

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

AKA The very beginning. I love 8. It is a game so broken you have to choose which way you're going to break it every time you play it. No level up Squall only runs are great. The first time I played it my friend started it without me so I missed the junction tutorials and he didn't understand them, so we inadvertently did a no junction run (until getting stuck at the end of disc 3).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kelp Me! posted:

are you being sarcastic it's impossible to tell with you

I can't tell anymore, anything I say is a combination of considered but probably incorrect analysis, glib remarks, semi-arbitrary assertions of a game's relative quality, and defending my poor decisions, and there's pretty much even chances that I'm being sincere or loving with somebody with any of those.

(for serious, this time I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not super into either version)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mega64 posted:

Also while 5 can be stupid broken, no way in hell I'd have it as easier than the game where Tools and Blitz can carry you through the game's first half, Rage ends up being one of the silliest god drat broken things in the entire series, Vanish/Doom or X-Zone can annihilate almost everything, and Magic in general is at its most absurdly powerful.

Bio Blaster and Chainsaw were the most ridiculously over powered tools in the WoB. Vanish/Doom is a bug, but can be used to totally cheese the last half of the game.

A lot of the esper stat bonuses on level up could be used to max stats if you suppressed leveling until you got them. IIRC one of them was a 50% boost to health on level up or something really dumb like that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
So after a 20 minute slog of a boss fight, Barthelomos or whatever his name is unleashes an attack during its death animation? Like, the death animation takes long enough that if this were still in-batte I could have healed before he attacked. I loving hate this game so much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing can attack during its death animation because it's ya know dead, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is that the fight where he casts doom if you're taking too long?

Maybe you just ran out of time/need to look at your paradigms because I don't think it should take anywhere near 20 minutes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wait you mean while it was casting Death, lol yeah you took too long dude.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also, keep attacking him when he does Thanatosian Laughter because it reduces the damage. Sazh/Vanille/Snow is a good combo too since you can get Haste/Bravery/Faith and then significant elemental debuffs on Barthandelus with Vanille.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Twenty. Minutes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I never beat Barthandalus, so I tried to backtrack to do sidequests for a certain accessory, found out that all the enemies in the caves had apparently leveled up or some poo poo, then I rode a robot around and got loving murdered and lost an hour's backtracking progress.

No I did not have fast travel unlocked why the gently caress would I

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When he casts death after 20 minutes Barthandelus should also say 'lightning and friends please take another look at your paradigms buffs and debuffs are actually really good in this game you can't get by just mashing auto attack with ravager/commando/medic' to make sure people get the message

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I never beat Barthandalus, so I tried to backtrack to do sidequests for a certain accessory, found out that all the enemies in the caves had apparently leveled up or some poo poo, then I rode a robot around and got loving murdered and lost an hour's backtracking progress.

No I did not have fast travel unlocked why the gently caress would I

It's impossible to have any sort of fast travel at that point so it's not exactly surprising. Well, unless you're thing of the second one before you go back to Cocoon. Also it impossible to lose progress in FF13 without the game crashing or something because you just hit retry and it starts you right before the fight.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just go back to video game school. Up until you get to Pulse there's a cap on how much you can level at each crystarium stage so if you're stuck at that point you need to reevaluate your play.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

It's impossible to have any sort of fast travel at that point so it's not exactly surprising. Well, unless you're thing of the second one before you go back to Cocoon. Also it impossible to lose progress in FF13 without the game crashing or something because you just hit retry and it starts you right before the fight.

Yeah, Barty version 2, the first one is easy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

When he casts death after 20 minutes Barthandelus should also say 'lightning and friends please take another look at your paradigms buffs and debuffs are actually really good in this game you can't get by just mashing auto attack with ravager/commando/medic' to make sure people get the message

That's the one thing about FFXIII's gameplay that I really appreciated: it was the first FF I can think of where buffs other than Haste really mattered, status effects were really useful, and debuffs actually exist. FFXII made a few steps in that direction (Bravery and Faith are great buffs when you finally get them and a few enemies are vulnerable to specific status effects) but XIII really ran with it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Secret: Saboteur can replace a Commando in keeping the chain gauge from going down.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Yeah, twenty minutes because I'm really underleveled and also because I don't understand the upgrade system at all. Like...if I put in X items then MAYBE I'll get X multiplier for X weapon but upgrading may not be worth it because X weapon may only go to X level and require only X experience when you really put in X and that was way too much but it doesn't matter anymore now because your weapons all suck, you have no money, and you're really underleveled.

Anyway, I know this is kind of my fault for being underleveled and not getting it. I don't want to use a guide; is this game so confusing to other people? I swear I'm not dumb.

Anyway, yes, Barthalomus or...what his name is...it takes ME 20 minutes because of these reasons. It's a slow slog, but I know how to maneuver the paradigms to beat him. Hence why I can stay alive twenty minutes without dying.

I did beat him; I don't know what happened last time, but I suspect it went something like this: He cast his Laughter attack the very moment I killed him. During his death animation, lasers just shot out of all over the place and killed me; the menu was taken away from me, so I thought this was part of the deal. I killed him a second time and this didn't happen, so I guess it was just a weird thing...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It also increases the gauge a bunch like a Ravager does! It doesn't do either quite as well as those two roles but it still does both and stacks debuffs/ailments in the process. Saboteur is so good

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

corn in the bible posted:

They can still be endearing you idiot gently caress dipshit

Corn fight!

That's a much better arrangement than the last couple ones with awful vocal that were linked, although still weird

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

credburn posted:

Yeah, twenty minutes because I'm really underleveled and also because I don't understand the upgrade system at all. Like...if I put in X items then MAYBE I'll get X multiplier for X weapon but upgrading may not be worth it because X weapon may only go to X level and require only X experience when you really put in X and that was way too much but it doesn't matter anymore now because your weapons all suck, you have no money, and you're really underleveled.

It's been forever since I played 13 but I wrote a weapon upgrade guide back when the game came out so let's see how much I remember:

Organic materials increase the weapon EXP multiplier. Synthetic materials decrease it but give you more EXP. So what you want to do is use a bunch of organic components to build up a big EXP multiplier, then use the best synthetic material you can get to consume that multiplier and gain a shitload of weapon EXP all at once.

Weapons max out at different levels and need to be upgraded with a special material once you reach that level, at which point I think it resets to level 1 and you can level it up again, this time higher? That's how I remember it, at least.

EDIT: Screw it, here's the guide I wrote when I was between college and grad school and extremely bored. I was also wrong about many of my weapon recommendations, in retrospect, but I should note that using the weapons I recommended in there did let me 100% the game without too much difficulty so I clearly wasn't that wrong.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 20, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

credburn posted:

Anyway, I know this is kind of my fault for being underleveled and not getting it. I don't want to use a guide; is this game so confusing to other people? I swear I'm not dumb.

Anyway, yes, Barthalomus or...what his name is...it takes ME 20 minutes because of these reasons. It's a slow slog, but I know how to maneuver the paradigms to beat him. Hence why I can stay alive twenty minutes without dying.

I did beat him; I don't know what happened last time, but I suspect it went something like this: He cast his Laughter attack the very moment I killed him. During his death animation, lasers just shot out of all over the place and killed me; the menu was taken away from me, so I thought this was part of the deal. I killed him a second time and this didn't happen, so I guess it was just a weird thing...

You can kind of ignore the upgrade system if you want but it'll make things easier in the long run, it's not that complicated but it is obtuse and dumb. Basically there's two kinds of components, one increases the amount of points you get and one actually gives you a decent amount of points, so you want to use the first until you get a good multiplier going and than use the second to level your stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Synethic and organic materials do different things?

Jeez, if I'd known that...how differently this could have turned out!