Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gammatron 64 posted:

In your defense, when I told someone in the factory that I was going to Italy with my family, she asked if we were gonna drive there.

The vast majority of Americans, and in fact, human beings are insanely stupid, including both me and you.

I think it should now be very apparent that we're all dumbasses with little to no understanding how to actually fix things, especially the people who say they do. People with degrees and 4.0 GPAs are just as dumb, look at me for example

absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

A good chunk of the population can't even name the countries bordering the US and would probably assume Pinochet was some kind of food item or maybe a card game.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Part of why you're so insufferable, Pick, is because you throw out some obscure fact about an irrelevant country and go "boom see I'm so smart America is terrible"

You live in loving Portland you don't know anything.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Pick posted:

If you can name both of your own current state senators you are in rare loving form.

had to think for a sec, but nailed it, also my senators are best senators.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Honky Dong Country posted:

Oh I don't mean to make it sound like it was thorough. Of was more of a "Hey we continued the Monroe Doctrine during the Cold War by meddling in a shitload of countries in the Americas and propping up various regimes" with a few as examples, which I remember including Pinochet, Batista, and a couple others I forget.

Oh for sure then yeah.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bonerjam posted:

Part of why you're so insufferable, Pick, is because you throw out some obscure fact about an irrelevant country and go "boom see I'm so smart America is terrible"

I only just moved back to Oregon, like I've been in Portland for like 6 months of my entire life. And you could never hate Portland more than I do.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The only reason Pinochet has specifically come into the public consciousness is because a lot of conservative media have sung his praises lately. This hasn't impacted a large fraction of the population but much of the politically active right knows who he is (or at least that he = good)

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

yeah I don't really care about your country

Me neither you had to pick between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, your country loving sucks.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

bonerjam posted:

The dumbest people are those who think they're smart, because they're too stupid to realize how stupid they are

In other words humility is a virtue

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I hear the clinton campaign spent a quarter million on juicers

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"i dont know who Pinochet is"

"Let my talk about my phd friends"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mordor She Wrote posted:

had to think for a sec, but nailed it, also my senators are best senators.

You know, I kind of feel sorry for whoever the other senator from Vermont is. They must feel like Sen. Cellophane.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

COMRADES posted:

A good chunk of the population can't even name the countries bordering the US and would probably assume Pinochet was some kind of food item or maybe a card game.

to be honest if I ever make up a card game it will be named "Pinochet"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DoctorGonzo posted:

"i dont know who Pinochet is"

"Let my talk about my phd friends"

dude even people with phds don't know who pinochet is, like this might startle you but a lot of people in stem, even at the highest levels, are god damned ********d.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I know who pinochet is, he's the one with the nose that grows when he lies

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lazorexplosion posted:

I know who pinochet is, he's the one with the nose that grows when he lies

Thats Hillary Clinton

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Pick posted:

dude even people with phds don't know who pinochet is, like this might startle you but a lot of people in stem, even at the highest levels, are god damned ********d.

See, more of the "look how smart I am guys!!!!" poo poo again.
I work with both phds and blue collar peckerwoods and the phds have far less sense of the world than the blue collar guys actually. It's kind of like autism they know a lot about one thing but everything else is like "huh? What?"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Pick posted:

We're all retarded here, so does this mean SA is the phd capital of the world?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

bonerjam posted:

I work with both phds and blue collar peckerwoods and the phds have far less sense of the world than the blue collar guys actually. It's kind of like autism they know a lot about one thing but everything else is like "huh? What?"

"The blue collar working is truely the real enlightened class"

*votes Trump
*Dies from opioid addiction.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bonerjam posted:

Sorry why are you complaining at me again?

This isn't an "or" proposition. it's not an argument whether blue collar workers OR phds know about pinochet. it's not even about pinochet (neither do). the issue is that people, generally, are very very very very very very ignorant of things outside their bubble and they are not thinking about things outside their bubble when they vote, and to some degree while their bubble is on fire, they should be worried about their bubble (on fire) before they worry about things that may or may not be on fire outside their bubble

the only thing you can do is redefine the bubble, you can't tell them to ignore the fire

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordor She Wrote posted:

"The blue collar working is truely the real enlightened class"

*votes Trump
*Dies from opioid addiction.

Well for starters they are actually a class. I dont know what the phd liberals are besides smug prick

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011
So has anyone actually read the book? What was Bill doing the whole time considering he ya know, won two campaigns and could offer pointed, accurate advice about demographics and swing states?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grumpo posted:

So has anyone actually read the book? What was Bill doing the whole time considering he ya know, won two campaigns and could offer pointed, accurate advice about demographics and swing states?

What do you think Bill was doing that whole time?

Or rather who do you think he was doing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grumpo posted:

kissing an rear end he hasn't tapped in 15 years

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grumpo posted:

Getting rejected by the analyst idiots who lost the election.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Yeah there was quite a bit of post election reporting that suggested that Bill's advice and warnings about election demographics fell on deaf ears, and I wonder how much of that is mentioned in the book.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

nigga crab pollock posted:

the bernie reality has a 50/50 on being a gibsonesque nightmare tho

we already live a gibsonesque nightmare, except the evil overlord are doughy sexless dorks with armies of lawyers instead of cyber-samurais with armies of android assassin henchmen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grumpo posted:

Bill was a mixed bag. He had a decent understanding of what was going on but he also had some pretty bad appearances. Bill was campaigning for Hillary within the strategy given by the campaign team.

He also had a nasty habit of amplifying Hillary's worst traits within the campaign.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

bonerjam posted:

Yeah having an advanced degree is no shield against ignorance to other matters of the world

yeah my thesis was on the behavior of a particular microorganism when it is exposed to elevated levels of glucose during the latter cycle of the moon on a tuesday and let me tell you all about how to fix our infrastructure problems and alleviate our general cultural malaise I'm smart I have a PhD

However it usually takes a certain level of organization and diligence to get there so you can't completely discount it but at the same time stupidity comes in a lot of different flavors

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

Well for starters they are actually a class. I dont know what the phd liberals are besides smug prick

Deservedly smug.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Pick posted:

Sorry why are you complaining at me again?

This isn't an "or" proposition. it's not an argument whether blue collar workers OR phds know about pinochet. it's not even about pinochet (neither do). the issue is that people, generally, are very very very very very very ignorant of things outside their bubble and they are not thinking about things outside their bubble when they vote, and to some degree while their bubble is on fire, they should be worried about their bubble (on fire) before they worry about things that may or may not be on fire outside their bubble

the only thing you can do is redefine the bubble, you can't tell them to ignore the fire

so how bout that election huh?? Crazy stuff!!!

As a reminder, Hillary Clinton lost the election because she can't control her peepee and poopoo.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Hillary hated non-scripted, non-directed interaction with voters because she was afraid of heckling in a way Bill was not. The problem is, this got Bill in hot water a couple of times, when he tried to argue superpredators with someone from BLM.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Your argument was "people with phds don't even know who Pinochet is. I know who Pinochet is. Qed I am just utterly brilliant"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Monkey Fracas posted:

However it usually takes a certain level of organization and diligence to get there so you can't completely discount it but at the same time stupidity comes in a lot of different flavors

That's pretty much what it's good for imho, you do have to have some level of not being completely shiftless. It's basically a certificate that says "this person tries to do things", for whatever that's worth.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah having an advanced degree is no shield against ignorance to other matters of the world

yeah my thesis was on the behavior of a particular microorganism when it is exposed to elevated levels of glucose during the latter cycle of the moon on a tuesday and let me tell you all about how to fix our infrastructure problems and alleviate our general cultural malaise I'm smart I have a PhD

Noam Chomsky in a nutshell imo.

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011
Granted there's a lot of political/controversial stuff about him so I can see why he wasn't exactly on the front lines but just ignoring him for "experts" seems like a huge oversight and wasted resources. If she had really cared Bill would have offered a huge advantage in strategy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bonerjam posted:

Your argument was "people with phds don't even know who Pinochet is. I know who Pinochet is. Qed I am just utterly brilliant"

I only know he exists and he was mean because once I tried to get with a guy who was into Latin American Studies and I asked him what that was all about and he said, "Um... there was a guy called Pinochet." (no further details) and then I tried to find out who this peenoshay fella was to try to get into the dude's pants but then it turned out he was a loser so I didn't follow up on it. but now I know who pinochet was.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Not taking Bill's advice on the campaign trail is like telling Mike Tyson get gtfo your corner during a title fight.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Granted the most infuriatingly dumb smart people I know are STEMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Frankly it's amazing to me how little awareness the average person has of what is going on and why just south of the border while at the same time they are mad about illegal immigration.

Like hey maybe don't nonstop gently caress with all of Latin America and they wouldn't all be trying to flee.

• Locked thread