Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

beanbrew posted:

oh my god why can't I just skip to the safe handling exam instead of watching these loving hour long videos

Because people are dumb and half the time don't know that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

safe handling is bs incidentally

such a finicky li'l POS

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trebuchet King posted:

safe handling is bs incidentally

such a finicky li'l POS

Last time I had to do one of those I used a library computer, which was handy because I grabbed a book to read during the video.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

oh i mean handling a combination safe, not the instructional stuff for handling food safely, whoops

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

There is a difference between raw and cooked ingredients for some allergies. Celery/Carrot/Parsley related vegetables can cause reactions in certain people, and for another certain subset of people this can be exacerbated by cooking. Another subset of those same people can be violently allergic to Celery with no regards to the level of cooking. There's also the issue of a digestive intolerance versus Anaphlyaxis causing Histamine reaction. Celiacs disease and most raw food "allergies" fit in the former category, while stuff like nuts and shellfish are almost entirely in the second category.

Allergies are loving weird and deadly important to underestimate. Please do not gently caress around with allergies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shabadu posted:

There is a difference between raw and cooked ingredients for some allergies. Celery/Carrot/Parsley related vegetables can cause reactions in certain people, and for another certain subset of people this can be exacerbated by cooking. Another subset of those same people can be violently allergic to Celery with no regards to the level of cooking. There's also the issue of a digestive intolerance versus Anaphlyaxis causing Histamine reaction. Celiacs disease and most raw food "allergies" fit in the former category, while stuff like nuts and shellfish are almost entirely in the second category.

Allergies are loving weird and deadly important to underestimate. Please do not gently caress around with allergies.

Most people know, but there seems to be an increasingly number of people saying their allergic to something without A. being tested for it, and/or B. because they don't like it, so they take the route they know they won't get that food for certain. In regards to gluten, there's a non-trivial amount of fad diets that say "GO GLUTEN FREE" for whatever reason, from weight loss to "improved behavior in misbehaving kids". While I do treat these things seriously, I always have something in the back of my head going "... I wonder if they're full of poo poo" when they do stuff like that.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Oh yeah for sure, I had very severe allergies to around 50% of normal foods for most of my child hood that I grew out of somewhat randomly and unexpectedly. We're talking: Eggs, Gluten, All nuts, Carrots/Celery, Citrus, Shellfish. Everything. I lived off rice and green veg and red meat for 15 years. I've been super cautious around the stuff that I've been tested for since adulthood. Living with them and then also listening to other people claim allergy to random things for no good reason pisses me off to similar levels.

If you gently caress up and don't take proper care when I tell you I am allergic to X Y Z and I have to use my epipen I'm going to go ballistic. Especially now that they're so goddamn expensive. I pitched a fit when we did a menu tasting a few weeks back and I was not informed that there were pistachios in one of the soups. I managed to deal with it with just benadryl but it made me cranky and sleepy for the entire day.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is me with people who ask for "NO ICE" in the drink.

I mean I understand, I get it. You have been condition to not have ice you're whole life.

But, I've been drinking this same water with this same ice for over 10 years now.

I think you will be fine.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I ask for no ice because I A. get more drink, and B. if it's a soda no worry about it getting watered down.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I've got some pretty nasty cold sensitivity in my teeth, that's why I don't want ice in my water or soda.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Man and his dog posted:

This is me with people who ask for "NO ICE" in the drink.

I mean I understand, I get it. You have been condition to not have ice you're whole life.

But, I've been drinking this same water with this same ice for over 10 years now.

I think you will be fine.
What the gently caress are you even complaining about?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
No one is complaining ?!?!?

I'm talking about individual customer request.

Some of which are very amusing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
There are lots of reasons to not want ice including "I don't want ice" that are perfectly valid and have nothing to do with this discussion of people who fake a serious medical condition rather than express themselves like rational adults.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pile of brown posted:

There are lots of reasons to not want ice including "I don't want ice" that are perfectly valid and have nothing to do with this discussion of people who fake a serious medical condition rather than express themselves like rational adults.

The problem is, how many times has a person with an allergy or intolerance to something made the request, only to have it ignored? As an example, I'm intolerant of raw tomatoes - I will puke violently if I get more than a tiny piece. Cooked tomatoes are fine, raw destroy me.

A couple years ago I went to a seafood restaurant near me and ordered their taco special. Asked if it came with tomatoes, was told no, ordered it - and lo and behold, there's a pile of pico on each one. When I try to send it back, management gives me poo poo because I didn't inform them of an allergy, even though I'd explicitly asked up front for that reason.

Too many restaurants and restaurant employees just don't give a poo poo. So to say that you have an allergy instead of an intolerance (which most servers don't understand or care about the difference), or an allergy instead of just a strong preference makes sense to a lot of people if it means their order comes out correct the first time and without argument.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I frequently ask for water, no ice, because I want a loving cup of water, not a cup full of ice topped with the barest dribble of 32.1F water that I will drink immediately and then want more of, ideally sometime before the rest of the cup melts over the next three hours.

Nine times out of ten the server repeats that back to me word for word and then brings out a cup brimming with ice ten minutes later.

Not going to pretend I'm allergic to ice, my girlfriend has actual, real allergies that I don't want to make light of or undermine but I can totally see the temptation to fake an allergy on the off chance it makes someone actually pay attention for a half second and give you what you ordered.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

"GO GLUTEN FREE" for whatever reason, from weight loss to "improved behavior in misbehaving kids".

I bet withholding all gluten from kids if they misbehave is a pretty effective punishment.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
You'd be surprised how many people aren't actually allergic to onion when I say that it's in the rice and they realllyyyyy want rice

e: Like just loving say you don't like <thing>, it's totally fine if you don't want <thing> in the meal but saying you are allergic to <thing> when you aren't is just hosed up and childish because we take allergies super seriously.

Like I feel for little Johnny with the deadly nut allergy because there's a bunch of people who don't take allergies seriously cause some fuckwit actually hates anything green and is therefore allergic to lettuce

Recoome fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 19, 2017

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I don't think most people understand that if a restaurant is serious about allergies and they say they're allergic it means having to possibly change cutting boards, knives, mixing bowls, cooking utensils, towels and anything else that might have touched said allergen over the course of the day during the middle of the loving rush. So please, don't make us go through that poo poo if we don't actually have to.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thoht posted:

I don't think most people understand that if a restaurant is serious about allergies and they say they're allergic it means having to possibly change cutting boards, knives, mixing bowls, cooking utensils, towels and anything else that might have touched said allergen over the course of the day during the middle of the loving rush. So please, don't make us go through that poo poo if we don't actually have to.

And yeah, that's the problem. By the time the 7th person in a dinner rush has ordered something with a SEVERE ALLERGY (when probably only two of those people actually did), who thinks that the 17 year old salad kid is really going to grab all new bowls and boards and tongs? We all say in our place he will, but we also care enough to be on the internet talking about it. The kid at Susie's Homestyle Cook Shack is not going to, and now some guy is getting his salad dragged around in a bowl that accidentally had a teaspoon of peanut sauce dropped in it 10 minutes ago and he's going to have a reaction.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What should I say if I know a food has an ingredient I don't want? Like, pea protein is enough to make my stomach upset and peas themselves can cause extra distress. But I can usually eat around the peas without a problem.

Should I just tell the waiter "Hold the peas, they make me queesy"?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Yes

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

RandomPauI posted:

What should I say if I know a food has an ingredient I don't want? Like, pea protein is enough to make my stomach upset and peas themselves can cause extra distress. But I can usually eat around the peas without a problem.

Should I just tell the waiter "Hold the peas, they make me queesy"?

yes

you aren't allergic to it

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My thoughts on the matter.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Recoome posted:

yes

you aren't allergic to it

Allergies don't have to be respiratory or life threatening.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
my favorite moroccan place in town got replaced by this
special treat for other 'straunt owners who have made their own websites :discourse:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

special treat for other 'straunt owners who have made their own websites :discourse:

I was hoping that was a joke site, but then the realization slowly crept up on me like diabetes to the obese.

I loving lost it at Dinosoar nuggets though.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I was hoping that was a joke site, but then the realization slowly crept up on me like diabetes to the obese.

(edible)

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I couldn't read past cheeseburgers smashed to perfection.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
"Add a description about this item."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

There...isn't an address anywhere? How am I supposed to visit if I can't find them!?

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Also, they haven't shared when and why they launched their restaurant, and I WANT TO KNOW.

Speaking of menu descriptions, had a lady bitch out one of my servers because she didn't tell her the Nashville hot chicken was spicy. The "hot" in the title on the menu is bolded, a point or two larger font, and red instead of black. The description involves the phrase "brushed with spicy oil."

The same day we had someone complain about the fries, which are hand-cut and fried to order (and indicated as such on the menu). "Um, are the fries always like this? I was hoping for skinny and crispy. These are really...potato-ey tasting." Lady, there's a McDonald's about 8 blocks down, maybe swing over there next time.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SYSCO Phantom Fries all day baby.

I just don't have the time, space, or fryer capacity to be blanching fries twice a week

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Thoht posted:

I loved having that discussion with people when I was at the bakery. Since in order to actually make safely gluten free anything we would have to shut down for two days to let the flour settle out of the air, then get a duct company in.

We eventually resorted to a warning sign on the front door regarding airborne flour.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'm the poorly lit low-res cellphone pics

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Drinks

A

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

So like 2 weeks ago, I got hit by a car on my way to work on my bike. Got an appt with a lawyer tomorrow, had a concussion, possible permanent knee damage, and about $1k in damages just to my bike.

I just might be able to pay off a student loan by the end of all of this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

yeah but the menu isn't a loving pdf so they clear that bar.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
8 pcs Dinosoar chicen: The Restaurant Industry Thread

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like how the burgers all have 2 different prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

I like how the burgers all have 2 different prices.

also it's cheaper to get burgers and fries separately

for me the killer is the size of the condiments revealing that the burgs are TINY

like sub-mcd's/bk sadburgs small

also there's a mention of a po'boy but no po'boy on the menu :psyduck:

• Locked thread