Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/CarmenSandiego/status/854403661912518657

New Carmen Sandiego series!

This one is actually ABOUT Carmen!
That reminds me, when is that Magic School Bus show going to air; I mean that new Bill Nye show is debuting this Friday; amazing how these things from my childhood just creep up on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

quote:

The most well known iteration was the animated series Where on Earth Is Carmen Sandiego?, which aired on Fox from 1994 to 1999

Really? The most well known iteration is the one that did not feature Rockapella (whom I learned when talking about this with a friend of mine, are still performing)?
I didn't even know there was an animated series on Fox.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

raditts posted:

Really? The most well known iteration is the one that did not feature Rockapella (whom I learned when talking about this with a friend of mine, are still performing)?
I didn't even know there was an animated series on Fox.

:shrug: It's the one I grew up with. Just one of those things where it's all about when and where you grew up that makes one thing more notable over another.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To me, both Carmen shows ran roughly at about the same time. The only notable thing was that the game show was on public television and used the license as a framing device for a geography quiz, while the other one was basically an animated drama that balanced world facts with the DEEPEST LORE elements.

Basically, the quiz show was spiritually true to the actual computer games, while the cartoon was more of a character serial trying to invent a semi-plausible fiction. The latter had a harder hill to climb since the games were always very goofy and light on details when it came to that stuff. (Oh no, Carmen stole an ancient castle... somehow.)

I mean, the Apple II game didn't even bother to give Carmen a visually distinctive sprite. Every thief including Carmen herself looked like a squat cloaked figure based on the Spy vs Spy comic. The entire "look" for Carmen is based on the box art, in much the same way that people thought Mavis Beacon was a smiling sunny black woman on the box, and not the name of a company.

And in the "where in Europe..." box she didn't even wear red.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 20, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Can't the new cartoon lift from both
I think the tv show was a little more memorable, really, so I demand MY nostalgia be catered to (not really, but maybe a shoutout here or there would be nice)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Also I guess I should explain this here for the benefit anyone under the age of 25:

Before the franchise really took off, when you were very little or maybe not even born yet, Carmen Sandiego games were one of the few that actually used real photography for their box covers. They all featured a woman whose face you couldn't quite make out under the fedora. (Her outfit wasn't also completely red yet, but anyhow...)

"Where In Time" is the greatest one, and I believe the last one before they went to cartoon Carmen, since they actually have the woman riding a prop of the time-traveling hoverbike referenced in game, and its spewing dry ice fog everywhere while a bunch of guys dressed like Henry VIII and his friends look shocked and drop their goblets.

The games were later repackaged for MacOS and Windows95 etc with new covers featuring the character associated with the FOX cartoon. So if your only idea of a Carmen cover art is a cartoon woman tipping her fedora like the m'lady guy, then you should go google for the old box pictures because they're amazing.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 20, 2017

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

DoctorWhat posted:

6 million to make 104 episodes? How cheap is this animation gonna be?

With 3D a lot of the costs are in assets and setting up. If they reuse a lot of stuff you can be really efficient without sacrificing animation quality too much.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Also I guess I should explain this here for the benefit anyone under the age of 25:

Before the franchise really took off, when you were very little or maybe not even born yet, Carmen Sandiego games were one of the few that actually used real photography for their box covers. They all featured a woman whose face you couldn't quite make out under the fedora. (Her outfit wasn't also completely red yet, but anyhow...)

"Where In Time" is the greatest one, and I believe the last one before they went to cartoon Carmen, since they actually have the woman riding a prop of the time-traveling hoverbike referenced in game, and its spewing dry ice fog everywhere while a bunch of guys dressed like Henry VIII and his friends look shocked and drop their goblets.

The games were later repackaged for MacOS and Windows95 etc with new covers featuring the character associated with the FOX cartoon. So if your only idea of a Carmen cover art is a cartoon woman tipping her fedora like the m'lady guy, then you should go google for the old box pictures because they're amazing.

I remember those boxes as well as ones with the cartoon woman on them, but I'm almost positive they predated even the PBS show. I could be (probably am) wrong though.
A google image search also taught me that there were console version of the Carmen Sandiego games. Imagine getting one of those fuckers on Christmas morning.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

raditts posted:

I remember those boxes as well as ones with the cartoon woman on them, but I'm almost positive they predated even the PBS show. I could be (probably am) wrong though.
A google image search also taught me that there were console version of the Carmen Sandiego games. Imagine getting one of those fuckers on Christmas morning.

Well at some point they would want to revise the facts in the game since things like the demise of the Soviet Union were happening during the initial release. And at the same time the original ones were AppleII/DOS games on floppies, and rebuilding it for Mac System 7 and Windows9x on CDs meant recoding a whole lot.

Photo box games -> PBS show -> Fox cartoon -> repackaged games is how I always remember it. Maybe the cartoon was based on the revised box, but I remember thinking, "oh huh, they got rid of the photo so kids who watch the show can identify it."

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 20, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

To me, both Carmen shows ran roughly at about the same time. The only notable thing was that the game show was on public television and used the license as a framing device for a geography quiz, while the other one was basically an animated drama that balanced world facts with the DEEPEST LORE elements.

Basically, the quiz show was spiritually true to the actual computer games, while the cartoon was more of a character serial trying to invent a semi-plausible fiction. The latter had a harder hill to climb since the games were always very goofy and light on details when it came to that stuff. (Oh no, Carmen stole an ancient castle... somehow.)

I mean, the Apple II game didn't even bother to give Carmen a visually distinctive sprite. Every thief including Carmen herself looked like a squat cloaked figure based on the Spy vs Spy comic. The entire "look" for Carmen is based on the box art, in much the same way that people thought Mavis Beacon was a smiling sunny black woman on the box, and not the name of a company.

And in the "where in Europe..." box she didn't even wear red.

Mavis Beacon was meant to be the name of the character on the box. They hired a model to photograph with purpose of giving the appearance of a human personality to their simple algorithms.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

The entire "look" for Carmen is based on the box art, in much the same way that people thought Mavis Beacon was a smiling sunny black woman on the box, and not the name of a company.

What?

Jack Gladney posted:

Mavis Beacon was meant to be the name of the character on the box. They hired a model to photograph with purpose of giving the appearance of a human personality to their simple algorithms.

WHAT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP-hMSQEAE4&t=5s

Oh my god I feel so stupid. I gotta go lie down... :negative:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There was more to Carmen Sandiago than a cartoon? Well I'll be. Although I barely even remember that.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I played Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego when I was a kid, but I didn't watch any of the TV shows. It was fun, mostly involving facts about state nouns and included state songs for background music where they had the rights, and the cartoon backgrounds were nice for the 1990s. I never played the other three two that were out at the time (World, Great Chase Through Time) and I might try them out someday.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TwoPair posted:

What?

WHAT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP-hMSQEAE4&t=5s

Oh my god I feel so stupid. I gotta go lie down... :negative:

It's okay. There comes a time in every 80's / 90's kid's life where they make this realization.

If you do a Google Image search you'll notice that over time she transforms into different smiling black ladies. She's like a time lord.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I had the Windows 95 game and watched the PBS show religiously, but I have almost no nostalgia attached to the Fox cartoon.

One of my biggest memories of the game show is that it aired during the post-Soviet, post-Yugoslavia breakups, so they kept changing the European map every 6 months and I'd be like "wait, where did Bosnia and Croatia come from?"

Anyway, if this reboot doesn't have Rockapella then they shouldn't even bother :colbert:

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 22, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Didn't the Carmen Sandiego game show have kids win too much and they had to make it balls hard to make sure they didn't go bankrupt?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PhazonLink posted:

Didn't the Carmen Sandiego game show have kids win too much and they had to make it balls hard to make sure they didn't go bankrupt?

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/4/4174436/carmen-sandiego-africa-map

Here's a read.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, the final round was brutal. I can probably count on one hand how many kids I saw actually win it.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I do miss the completely harebrained difficulty of vintage children's game shows. I can't think of a show where 94% of the episodes didn't end with the entirely dejected, miserable faces of the losing finalists while the announcer told them they didn't get the international cruise grand prize but they did win like a sketchers gift card or a goddamned savings bond.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Silver Snail posted:

I do miss the completely harebrained difficulty of vintage children's game shows. I can't think of a show where 94% of the episodes didn't end with the entirely dejected, miserable faces of the losing finalists while the announcer told them they didn't get the international cruise grand prize but they did win like a sketchers gift card or a goddamned savings bond.

Similar to Waffleman_'s post, Jon Bois articles on Legends of the Hidden Temple are a good read too, and the second one offers a nice peek into the experience of a contestant on the show.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/27/4028998/legends-of-the-hidden-temple

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/5/4064102/legends-of-the-hidden-temple-interview

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They can pull so much arbitrary bullshit on kid game shows because even if kids know a bunch of trivia, they don't know well enough to speak up or complain about the unfairness of it all.

Like imagine if Ninja Warrior had temple guards who would randomly take you out of the competition, maybe at like the third level where it's all about destroying the human body's physical capabilities. Nobody would stand for that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
In that day and age, being on national TV was a prize in and of itself. Now you can upload a video of yourself doing anything on YouTube and get statistics showing you that people from Utah to Uzbekistan are watching and how long they watched.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Like imagine if Ninja Warrior had temple guards who would randomly take you out of the competition, maybe at like the third level where it's all about destroying the human body's physical capabilities. Nobody would stand for that.

Well, I mean, American Gladiators.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That loving monkey statue on Legends of the Hidden Temple probably ruined countless childhoods.

Imagine going to school the day after your episode airs and having to put up with every dipshit going "hurrr I totally could've put that head on right, you sucked."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looks like they went back on going full hog with Cloudy, too. They still aired the movie and they're still airing the Cloudy bumps, but it's a usual schedule today.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Pakled posted:

Similar to Waffleman_'s post, Jon Bois articles on Legends of the Hidden Temple are a good read too, and the second one offers a nice peek into the experience of a contestant on the show.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/27/4028998/legends-of-the-hidden-temple

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/5/4064102/legends-of-the-hidden-temple-interview

Yeah, these are great, and likely I feel, illuminating of that industry as a whole. These shows were definitely not great for their contestants. The American shows, at least.

I've seen a couple UK kid's game shows and it seems like they would have been a lot nicer to participate in. Knightmare never put the pressure of a family vacation on it's contestants, even if almost all of the kids wound up getting obliterated on set by blue-screen ghosts or at least shouted at by a man with a heavy cockney accent.

For anyone who hasn't seen Knightmare, I really recommend taking a peek at it, it's the best kind of corny.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Waffleman_ posted:

Looks like they went back on going full hog with Cloudy, too. They still aired the movie and they're still airing the Cloudy bumps, but it's a usual schedule today.

I want to believe someone lost their job when they submitted that schedule.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's a shame that Lynne Thigpen is no longer with us, when I think of Carmen Sandiego I think of The Chief both hosting the show and as the FMV talking head in the Windows 95 game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gaunab posted:

I want to believe someone lost their job when they submitted that schedule.

I feel like this weekend has to have been at least planned for a while, since they bothered to shoot all these bumpers. Something tells me this was a last minute decision like the decision to move from the all day Ben 10, only they had time to alter the guide schedules for this.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's still a really dumb idea to schedule an all-day marathon block for a show with like 5 episodes in the can.

I give it 3 months before Cloudy gets banished to Boomerang and we never hear from it again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Benne posted:

I give it 3 months before Cloudy gets banished to Boomerang and we never hear from it again.

I actually feel like this fiasco with the weekend is the beginning of the end and it'll be gone by the end of May.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
May as well crosspost this from the fanart thread:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also, apparently there was a gallery show for ~official~ Star Vs. The Forces of Evil fanart from people who work on the show, which someone collected into an imgur album. There's some pretty cool stuff in there if you're interested in the show, especially these standouts:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love that Face the Music one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God, the best part of this weekend on CN is that you can tell they don't wanna waste the bumps they made, so they're still marketing the "EVERY EPISODE OF CLOUDY" thing when the Cloudy series has been on for maybe about an hour this entire weekend.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

God, the best part of this weekend on CN is that you can tell they don't wanna waste the bumps they made, so they're still marketing the "EVERY EPISODE OF CLOUDY" thing when the Cloudy series has been on for maybe about an hour this entire weekend.

on a quasi-related note, next week is gonna be the one with the least amount of TTG in a long time

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So did Dreamworks just hand CN money to try and force the Meatballs cartoon to be a thing? Because they could at least try to also do that dragons of berk failure or pay Nick for CN to have their panda cartoon because at least that one had effort put into it.

On the bright side, I'm kind of curious about that captain underpants movie. And I'm actually amazed its still big enough to be made into a movie, like whatever it had during all those 90 book fair sales, it got completely shadowed by Harry Potter back in the day.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Meatballs is Sony Animation

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Crabtree posted:

On the bright side, I'm kind of curious about that captain underpants movie. And I'm actually amazed its still big enough to be made into a movie, like whatever it had during all those 90 book fair sales, it got completely shadowed by Harry Potter back in the day.

Yeah, it's apparently still a thing, my 6 and 7 year olds got into it recently.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Meatballs is Sony Animation

Well that explains why this is such a bad idea now. Jesus, are they trying to kill what little intrest kids or whoever has for watching CN on the weekend? You know, the time kids actually have to do nothing but watch TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

on a quasi-related note, next week is gonna be the one with the least amount of TTG in a long time

That's actually not that bad.

And the Cloudy cartoon was made for Teletoon, it's just airing on CN first.

Which explains everything, since it's a Canadian cartoon.