Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I got my S8+ today (I'm real happy with the orchid gray color which is a fair amount darker and more striking in person compared to what it looks like in pictures online, btw) and I've finished transferring my poo poo over.

The stock weather widget is again limited to Touchwiz launcher. I wish they wouldn't do the back and forth on this so much. If past patterns hold up it should become usable in other launchers with some minor build update, but still,

Screen looks amazing as I expected.

Tomorrow I'll put the phone through its paces on its first full charge. I'll note that the first use effect hasn't been pronounced this time--where the previous generation phone chugs through like 40% battery at like 160 degrees to get everything synced and installed and then continues running hotter than normal for a day or two. The S8+ has essentially already settled down to what I feel is a comfortable cruising battery drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Trying to decide between a G6 and the S8, pixel isn't an option (expensive/impossible to get hold of). Would get the S8 but the G6 is 250 euros cheaper on otherwise identical contracts. Not sure which one I'd be more dumb getting

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've has this a month or so at least, didn't really think anything of it, but I guess I was a server side flip switch testing case

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

seravid posted:

Have you tried contacting Samsung? I read somewhere that they ask around 250$ for the repair. If that price is accurate, replacing the assembly yourself doesn't make sense as it would cost just as much as the official repair and there's no telling how waterproofed the phone would be afterwards.

Replacing just the screen, on the other hand, makes total sense if you like to tinker with stuff and are conscious that you'll probably (but maybe not!) break the display when separating the glass.

I mean the digitzer and screen are fine, it's just the glass that's cracked. The glass is actually a cheap replacement part but it looks like a huge pain in the rear end to delaminate it and then you have to pray you can glue the new screen on without loving up or you're probably looking at bubbles or some poo poo. So the more sure-fire way to do it is to replace the whole screen assembly but that's what costs a shitload.

From what I'm reading Samsung's turn-around time is like a week or longer, that kind of doesn't work super well for me when the alternative is to take it to a local repair shop and pay them $300 to do it in a few hours.

My hope was to find a reasonably priced OEM screen assembly and then bug a coworker who is an engineer and has a lot of experience tinkering with things like this to do it. I'm just not having much luck finding screen assemblies for a decent price.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

Trying to decide between a G6 and the S8, pixel isn't an option (expensive/impossible to get hold of). Would get the S8 but the G6 is 250 euros cheaper on otherwise identical contracts. Not sure which one I'd be more dumb getting

You'd have to be crazy to buy an LG right now with their spectacular failure rates.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

ShoogaSlim posted:

My refurbished Pixel XL came today, you guys. Really appreciate everyone's guidance during this whole thing.

The money is whatever, if the refurb works - gently caress it.

But the most embarrassing loving bullshit turd-cherry on the top of this crappy experience sundae is the fact that the survey card included in the box misspells the word "dissatisfied." What a loving piss joke this whole process has been.

I'm sorry the thread didn't advocate you scamming someone by selling your messed up used device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

You'd have to be crazy to buy an LG right now with their spectacular failure rates.

I have an acquaintance whose G5 (I think? MIght have been a G4.) bootlooped, so she had to go buy another phone. She got a G6.

Consumers are dumb.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The stock weather widget is again limited to Touchwiz launcher. I wish they wouldn't do the back and forth on this so much. If past patterns hold up it should become usable in other launchers with some minor build update, but still,
The Nougat release on my S7 Edge took that away unless you already had it on the other launcher's home screen, doesn't make a lot of sense.

I got my S8+ yesterday too and I like it a lot, runs smoother than my S7E ever did.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

What other kinds of things are you wrong about?

There's no reason for me to pay a couple hundred bucks to be able to read a text on my wrist

I have a watch. It's a timex. My girlfriend got it for me for my birthday. It tells time and I don't have to plug it in and it wasn't expensive

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

MMD3 posted:

I mean the digitzer and screen are fine, it's just the glass that's cracked. The glass is actually a cheap replacement part but it looks like a huge pain in the rear end to delaminate it and then you have to pray you can glue the new screen on without loving up or you're probably looking at bubbles or some poo poo. So the more sure-fire way to do it is to replace the whole screen assembly but that's what costs a shitload.

From what I'm reading Samsung's turn-around time is like a week or longer, that kind of doesn't work super well for me when the alternative is to take it to a local repair shop and pay them $300 to do it in a few hours.

My hope was to find a reasonably priced OEM screen assembly and then bug a coworker who is an engineer and has a lot of experience tinkering with things like this to do it. I'm just not having much luck finding screen assemblies for a decent price.

Gluing the new glass shouldn't be a problem as long as you're patient; with the S7 you don't even have to worry about backlight leakage.
Separating the old one can be a pain in the rear end if you go with heat and a molybdenum wire but, if you have access to dry ice, you can simply freeze the glass, which makes its removal much easier.

Cheapest you're gonna find for the assembly is 200 bucks (from China), I believe.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Peachfart posted:

smart watches are pointless

Except for all the useful things I use mine for.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There's no reason for me to pay a couple hundred bucks to be able to read a text on my wrist

I have a watch. It's a timex. My girlfriend got it for me for my birthday. It tells time and I don't have to plug it in and it wasn't expensive

Yes, that's what a smart watch does too. It only tells the time. There's no possible way other people could make good use of the features of a smart watch.

Now, I know what you're going to say..."do I have to end every one of my posts with, for me and my usages", and the answer is yes. When you're conversing with other human beings its better to say "I can't seem to find a use for a smart watch, but I understand that other people like them" instead of being a mega fuckin goon and saying "smartwatches are fuckin stupid".

Also, another option is to just not say anything.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
2 best features of a fitness tracker:

1. When you're doing something like yardwork and you look back and say "oh cool, that was technically a workout"
2. When you're a new parent and literally cannot know how much sleep you're getting, the sleep tracking feature is legitimately very useful

3. It was heavily discounted at BJ's

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Normal watches are actually still extremely cool and good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thermopyle posted:

Except for all the useful things I use mine for.

Yes, that's what a smart watch does too. It only tells the time. There's no possible way other people could make good use of the features of a smart watch.

Now, I know what you're going to say..."do I have to end every one of my posts with, for me and my usages", and the answer is yes. When you're conversing with other human beings its better to say "I can't seem to find a use for a smart watch, but I understand that other people like them" instead of being a mega fuckin goon and saying "smartwatches are fuckin stupid".

Its far less goony to throw a hissy fit and demand people be respectful of your need to own a second screen for your phone

Fake edit straight up LMAO at the literal "if you can't say something nice" because smart watches are That Important

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Mido posted:

Normal watches are actually still extremely cool and good.

Greetings fellow watch haver

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like my smartwatch and it looks really nice and I get compliments on it regularly, Asus Zenwatch 3, so I actually hope that at the very least annoys you mildly irl and at the very best enrages you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like my smartwatch and it looks really nice and I get compliments on it regularly, Asus Zenwatch 3, so I actually hope that at the very least annoys you mildly irl and at the very best enrages you

Lots of people like dumb poo poo. People love the walking dead. Whatever.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

This is kind of a silly thing to suggest. If you want to say "make a substantive post," sure, but lol at "don't say mean things" on this here forum.

Also, if that were enforced, we never would've gotten the comedy of a guy physically threatening to beat me up IRL because I made fun of his stupid Samsung Gear watch.

e: also I got compliments on an original Pebble. The plasticky, lovely looking lump of a watch. People are often very dumb. As someone who has owned multiple smartwatches, I can also agree that smartwatches are fuckin' dumb. They're just a type of dumb that I like and find some use for.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 20, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Its far less goony to throw a hissy fit and demand people be respectful of your need to own a second screen for your phone

Fake edit straight up LMAO at the literal "if you can't say something nice" because smart watches are That Important

Yes, trying to make sure people know how to post to limit taking this thread down into one of its periodic meltdown derails is throwing a "hissy fit".

sleepwalkers posted:

This is kind of a silly thing to suggest. If you want to say "make a substantive post," sure, but lol at "don't say mean things" on this here forum.

Also, if that were enforced, we never would've gotten the comedy of a guy physically threatening to beat me up IRL because I made fun of his stup

Yes, people should not post if they can't figure out how to not drag the thread into another idiotic derailing fight about something nerds care about.

I always try to just talk to people instead of throwing out probations or whatever, but if you guys would rather I didnt...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, trying to make sure people know how to post to limit taking this thread down into one of its periodic meltdown derails is throwing a "hissy fit".

Yes, people should not post if they can't figure out how to not drag the thread into another idiotic derailing fight about something nerds care about.

I always try to just talk to people instead of throwing out probations or whatever, but if you guys would rather I didnt...

You didn't talk, you preached about how to disagree properly and now youre threatening to just punish people

I'm sorry I said I thought your toy was stupid

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh, smart watches are also theoretically good for Smart Lock. But I don't think I can count that because in practice it just means Smart Lock prompts me to add my Fitbit as a trusted device every few days to no avail.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You didn't talk, you preached about how to disagree properly and now youre threatening to just punish people

I'm sorry I said I thought your toy was stupid

I don't even have a smart watch now because it wasn't worth getting a new one when the battery died. I don't think they're worth several hundred dollars.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sleepwalkers posted:

Also, if that were enforced, we never would've gotten the comedy of a guy physically threatening to beat me up IRL because I made fun of his stupid Samsung Gear watch.

e: also I got compliments on an original Pebble. The plasticky, lovely looking lump of a watch. People are often very dumb. As someone who has owned multiple smartwatches, I can also agree that smartwatches are fuckin' dumb. They're just a type of dumb that I like and find some use for.

This guy

I like this guy

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You can pick up a Refurb Original Pebble for like $24 on Amazon which isn't $100's and has a lot of the same functionality that is useful.

Waterproof like most decent normal watches, Sleep Tracker for those that like to see how badly they sleep during the week, Step Tracker for the ability to see how much you just sit on your rear end all day, Vibration for Notifications and Alarms for those that don't want an audible notification ever again/those that absolutely positively want to make sure they don't sleep through their alarm.

You can also control your music/podcast and see whats playing, weather, calendar, all sorts of stuff that seem unnecessary since you already have your phone, however once you live with it for a few weeks, going back is next to impossible.

It's not the greatest looking being the Pebble 1, but the Pebble Time and Steel ones can be had for $100 or less quite often now as well, and though you have to charge these watches, its only once a week unlike most of the other Smartwatches, and they are more waterproof than most as well. I regularly have swam with my Pebble/Steel on and not had a problem. Even respond to text in the shower using the mic on the Pebble Steel because apparently everyone likes to text me when I am in the Shower without my phone.

^^ I've gotten compliments on both the Original Pebble (Yea wtf, however with a decent watch face and a good band, it isn't the shittiest looking watch on earth) and the Pebble Time/Steel because they mistake them for an Apple Watch mostly.

Though the Steel is a pretty slick looking device all around with a steel band, and the thing can take a beating as well.

Too bad the Pebble CEO was a dick to Microsoft who was willing to write the Windows Phone app from scratch for him for free. A Small market, but pissing on a potential partnership and now your company got eaten for diddle squat by FitBit.

Now for fitness bands, the Microsoft Band may have been one ugly piece of badly made crap (Thing wouldn't last past 6 months before falling apart) but the functionality of that thing is still not quite matched by any other wearable just yet. To bad they killed that instead of making it more robust and less ugly. (The Band 2 wasn't too bad, but still died in 6 months like the first)

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 20, 2017

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I've got a Casio Databank that can store up to 30 phone numbers and is multi-lingual. Pretty smart for a wristwatch imo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

EdEddnEddy posted:

You can pick up a Refurb Original Pebble for like $24 on Amazon which isn't $100's and has a lot of the same functionality that is useful.

Waterproof like most decent normal watches, Sleep Tracker for those that like to see how badly they sleep during the week, Step Tracker for the ability to see how much you just sit on your rear end all day, Vibration for Notifications and Alarms for those that don't want an audible notification ever again/those that absolutely positively want to make sure they don't sleep through their alarm.

You can also control your music/podcast and see whats playing, weather, calendar, all sorts of stuff that seem unnecessary since you already have your phone, however once you live with it for a few weeks, going back is next to impossible.

It's not the greatest looking being the Pebble 1, but the Pebble Time and Steel ones can be had for $100 or less quite often now as well, and though you have to charge these watches, its only once a week unlike most of the other Smartwatches, and they are more waterproof than most as well. I regularly have swam with my Pebble/Steel on and not had a problem. Even respond to text in the shower using the mic on the Pebble Steel because apparently everyone likes to text me when I am in the Shower without my phone.

I cannot imagine a situation where I have to respond to a text in the shower so urgently that I can't stop showering

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

EdEddnEddy posted:

Even respond to text in the shower using the mic on the Pebble Steel because apparently everyone likes to text me when I am in the Shower without my phone.

real talk: how gross is that wrist?

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
For real though actual watches can be far more expensive than $100 so $100 for a smartwatch that lets you use your smartphone more effectively isn't that unreasonable. The main cost is the opportunity cost of having to wear something that might be really clunky or tacky on your wrist instead of a nice watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, how about some more Bluetooth chat?

Been playing around with it on my Pixel and I made a discovery. I went into the paired connection for my BRZ and tired disabling the profiles for Contacts and Messages, leaving only headset and media profiles.

Since then, I've done about 90 minutes of driving in 3 trips and not a single drop.

It hasn't helped the slight stutter every two to three minutes with my Bluetooth headphones, but at least the complete dropping in the car appears to be solved.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My shower time is also the only time I charge my Pebble. It seriously tops off that quickly.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Here's a question not related to smartwatches at all:
Do Android phones still tend to get fairly warm when under moderate usage? The LG G3, Note 3, Nexus 6, and Note 7 I've had all had a tendency to get anywhere from pretty warm to really hot when just browsing the forums and texting/using Google Hangouts/checking Twitter, which is something I never really noticed on my iPhone. Never been sure if it was an Android issue, a Qualcomm issue, or a me issue.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The real play is to get a 15 dollar watch at Walmart that tells time, date, and lasts 10 years.

Or buy a Note 7 and get refunded and walk away with a free fitness band smartwatch thing :smug:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Variable_H posted:

Do Android phones still tend to get fairly warm when under moderate usage? The LG G3, Note 3, Nexus 6, and Note 7 I've had all had a tendency to get anywhere from pretty warm to really hot when just browsing the forums and texting/using Google Hangouts/checking Twitter, which is something I never really noticed on my iPhone. Never been sure if it was an Android issue, a Qualcomm issue, or a me issue.

Yeah, that's not unusual. I think it might be a thing for phones with plastic bodies. I haven't noticed a hot spot on my Pixel, which is my first phone with a metal body.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Variable_H posted:

That's just a phone issue. The Nexus 6P I noticed was really bad about getting hot too, but the Moto X Pure and Moto G5+ I've had since then never get hot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, the Galaxy S8 charger is a typical USB-A to C device. Says the output is 9V/1.67A and 5V/2A. Kinda disappointing. I kinda want to see if the phone pulls the 9V through the USB-A to C cable as I believe that would be out of spec if it did. I hope Benson Leung reviews the cable somehow.

Also, these look scary. Yes, these are adapters that let you plug microUSB and full USB cables into USB-C devices.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nalin posted:

Well, the Galaxy S8 charger is a typical USB-A to C device. Says the output is 9V/1.67A and 5V/2A. Kinda disappointing. I kinda want to see if the phone pulls the 9V through the USB-A to C cable as I believe that would be out of spec if it did. I hope Benson Leung reviews the cable somehow.

Also, these look scary. Yes, these are adapters that let you plug microUSB and full USB cables into USB-C devices.

I mean those exist but holy hell that's huge. I have a couple USB adapters to go to Micro and C and they fit in an Altoids can with my flash drive and a couple other odds and ends

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean those exist but holy hell that's huge. I have a couple USB adapters to go to Micro and C and they fit in an Altoids can with my flash drive and a couple other odds and ends

They actually aren't that big. The USB-A adapter is a little big, but the microUSB is okay. It will probably be okay, though, as thinking about it I believe the only problem was with bad USB-A to C cables that used an incorrect resistor. A standard USB-A cable probably wouldn't have the same problem. I was still hoping for a 5V/3A charger, though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

PerrineClostermann posted:

Or buy a Note 7 and get refunded and walk away with a free fitness band smartwatch thing :smug:

This was me and yeah my Gear Fit is pretty cool.

Nalin posted:

I use the microUSB adapter on my car charging cable. I should probably get a USB-C charger but whatever.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

nimper posted:

I use the microUSB adapter on my car charging cable. I should probably get a USB-C charger but whatever.
Same, I also used one of them to hook the S8 up to my PC and it worked fine. And the USB-A adapter is basically an OTG adapter, I used it to transfer poo poo from my S7E to my S8+ yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Actually, I have to thank Samsung for including type a chargers. Since their proprietary charging will fry emarked USB C cables, they are keeping all of us spec compliant C people safe.