Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I decided to give Epic Mickey another go as I like the characters a lot despite the awkward camera, and something I like is it gives you good reasons to explore and practice with the paint instead of just brute-forcing your way through with thinner+killing everything - sidequests make the game easier. Early in the game you are given a small one, free all 4 gremlins (helper npcs who fix poo poo for you). You could ignore them, but when you reach the end of the room you are faced with 4 broom enemies throwing thinner at you, dissolving parts of the arena while you attempt to navigate to each of the 4 valves to drop them into the goop pool. However if you have freed all the gremlins, they each turn one of hte valves for you, nullifying what would have been an annoying fight and then they also fix a platform to give you easy access to a Big Chest to access your prize. Also there are a few platforming puzzles invilving fixing/breaking gears so that their attached platforms line up correctly for you to jump across them - however in at least one instance, painting all of the gears at once so that they all turn makes new platform available that are much easier to navigate. I like that game design :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I couldn't bring myself to finish epic mickey after the game auto-saved after I did a puzzle making me unable to finish a side quest for Pete.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

2house2fly posted:

I love how satisfyingly the robots fall apart as you shoot them in that game.

This is one of my favorite things about robot enemies in general and whenever a game pulls it off well it makes all the difference in the world. Like in Saints Row 4 the giant terminator enemies were a lot of fun because you could blast their arms off and use them against them as special weapons, blow their legs off and they'd crawl across the ground towards you, etc. while the big Warden minibosses were just tedious because you were chipping away at a health bar until you could finish them off with a QTE. And sadly the previews for Agents of Mayhem are saying that the combat is boring because it's all about Borderlands-style floating numbers and big health bars against unflinching enemies :sigh:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

This is one of my favorite things about robot enemies in general and whenever a game pulls it off well it makes all the difference in the world. Like in Saints Row 4 the giant terminator enemies were a lot of fun because you could blast their arms off and use them against them as special weapons, blow their legs off and they'd crawl across the ground towards you, etc. while the big Warden minibosses were just tedious because you were chipping away at a health bar until you could finish them off with a QTE. And sadly the previews for Agents of Mayhem are saying that the combat is boring because it's all about Borderlands-style floating numbers and big health bars against unflinching enemies :sigh:

Was there co op planned for that game or is it like a Lost Vikings kinda thing where you only switch off between three squadmates?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

To rise up the ranks of the hunters' guild in Horizon, there's a sidequest where you have to get trophies from some of the strongest machines in the game, I found the most entertaining way to do this is find an area where two of them spawn and override one of them to watch them fight to death so you can sneak in after and nab the trophy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Mann posted:

You seem to have not included Vanquish in your talk of robot-smashing, so I can only assume you haven't played it.

You should play Vanquish. Frankly, everyone should.

Baron Corbyn posted:

To rise up the ranks of the hunters' guild in Horizon, there's a sidequest where you have to get trophies from some of the strongest machines in the game, I found the most entertaining way to do this is find an area where two of them spawn and override one of them to watch them fight to death so you can sneak in after and nab the trophy.

You don't even have to do that much. Just shoot one of them with a Corruption arrow from cover and enjoy the fun.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

flatluigi posted:

IIRC it's a specific NPC and bridge, and he tells you that because he's standing there doomsaying about the end of the world.

I've definitely seen it triggered with random NPCs walking by.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I don't get it. There's a ladder on the side of that building, which you are explicitly told about, so you can get on top of that building and advance the plot? Unless it's just showing off how you can ride a stasis'd object, which I thought was old news by now.

I'm really sorry about that. In the future I'll be sure to contact you prior to posting content to be sure you specifically don't already know about it and/or you think it's super cool and good.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should play Vanquish. Frankly, everyone should.

They need to port that to PC, like, two years ago. I know they hinted heavily at it, especially now that Bayonetta's on Steam, but I just can't play it on the PS3 without the frame rate and screen tearing driving me nuts.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I never played much of Vanquish, but I liked what I played. I'd buy the heck out of a pc port.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Like in Saints Row 4 the giant terminator enemies were a lot of fun because you could blast their arms off and use them against them as special weapons, blow their legs off and they'd crawl across the ground towards you

The cyborgs in Tiberian Sun also had that and even if they got back all their health they still had to crawi around.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It only took, what, 8 years for Bayonetta to come to PC? I'm sure I'll finally be able to play Vanquish any year now.

Baron Corbyn posted:

That's another fun thing about Binary Domain, blowing the heads off of basic humanoid robo-grunts doesn't do any more damage than any other limb but what it does do is blow out all their sensors so they go berserk against friend and foe alike. It's super satisfying to blow the head off of a sniper or two and have them rain down death for the rest of the fight.

Also it's the one time I can think of where the main characters in a work of fiction about killer robots who can take the identities of human beings without being aware that they're robots had enough genre savvy and self-awareness to question whether or not they themselves could be robots...and also that the story itself was smart enough to go in a much weirder and cooler direction with the concept instead of just rehashing Blade Runner again.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
yeah, I was waiting for the eye-rolling "main character is a robot!!!" twist and it was cool that the game saw me coming

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

yeah, I was waiting for the eye-rolling "main character is a robot!!!" twist and it was cool that the game saw me coming

Please don't post your fetishes in the games thread

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

This is still my favorite video game title of all time

Like if they had called it Why Don't We Just Take A poo poo Right Into Your Hand it would only feel about half as hostile and demeaning to the game itself

Guy Mann posted:

Also it's the one time I can think of where the main characters in a work of fiction about killer robots who can take the identities of human beings without being aware that they're robots had enough genre savvy and self-awareness to question whether or not they themselves could be robots...

This happens in the movie Ex Machina too-- after the main guy realizes that his boss' hypersexed maid is a robot, there's a little scene where he nervously cuts open the skin on his own arm with an x-acto or something. Thats not relevant to Binary Domain but it got me lollin. I like when fictional characters have the aptitude to notice and figure out things going on around them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

2house2fly posted:

That entire exchange was really funny. I'm posting from memory but:

"You know, we do all sorts of crazy stunts and have incredible combat abilities. Did you ever stop to think that we might be robots ourselves?"

"What?! No, I'm a normal dude from Nebraska. I just work out a lot. :cool:"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

swamp waste posted:

This is still my favorite video game title of all time

Like if they had called it Why Don't We Just Take A poo poo Right Into Your Hand it would only feel about half as hostile and demeaning to the game itself

This happens in the movie Ex Machina too-- after the main guy realizes that his boss' hypersexed maid is a robot, there's a little scene where he nervously cuts open the skin on his own arm with an x-acto or something. Thats not relevant to Binary Domain but it got me lollin. I like when fictional characters have the aptitude to notice and figure out things going on around them.

Nier: Automata's androids come off as underdeveloped on surface readings, but they're basically in a state of pathological cognitive dissonance at all times and trying to convince themselves (via convincing each other) that they're not seeing what they're seeing, hearing what they're hearing, et cetera. Playthrough two really reinforced just how much information isn't being shared between the characters.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I really like the overall design of the machines in Nier: Automata. From a cursory look, they're like any other rpg game where you have a handful of unique assets and double your count by recoloring them but there's a lot of effort into making each of those recolors unique either by dialog or the context in which you find those machines and it makes them all stand out even though they all more or less look the same (the best example of change would be going from the amusement park level and then going to the village).

Also, taunting enemies in this game is a lot funnier than in other games because it's a visual gag and like other gamey aspects in Nier it feels kinda natural to the setting of the game.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Somfin posted:

Nier: Automata's androids come off as underdeveloped on surface readings, but they're basically in a state of pathological cognitive dissonance at all times and trying to convince themselves (via convincing each other) that they're not seeing what they're seeing, hearing what they're hearing, et cetera. Playthrough two really reinforced just how much information isn't being shared between the characters.

I thought the game was going to be coy about (spoilers for something made obvious very early on) machines having feelings and personalities and all that and was prepared to find it pretty groan-worthy but it's outright established once you hit the desert. They're very obviously just lying to themselves to help justify the continuous robot genocide.

Also there's kamikaze robots that loving scream at you, I love/hate those things.

Action Tortoise posted:

I really like the overall design of the machines in Nier: Automata. From a cursory look, they're like any other rpg game where you have a handful of unique assets and double your count by recoloring them but there's a lot of effort into making each of those recolors unique either by dialog or the context in which you find those machines and it makes them all stand out even though they all more or less look the same (the best example of change would be going from the amusement park level and then going to the village).

The cosmetic changes they make to machines work really well on multiple levels, even if most of them have reused movesets.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Gitro posted:

The cosmetic changes they make to machines work really well on multiple levels, even if most of them have reused movesets.

iirc the Western bandito machines have unique gun animations.

the fact that they're more or less recolors with no unique movesets for the most part is why i like it. mechanically (no pun intended) they're all the same but just by the quality of the writing every type of machine you encounter is memorable.

kinda like people, y'know?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the kamikaze robots are basically the Serious Sam guys and it's amazing. They're the only robots without recognisable faces/heads

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
How weird does Binary Domain get? I wasn't too far into it when my PC shat itself and I don't know when (or if) I'll ever be getting a new one. I was loving the game before that though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drunken Baker posted:

How weird does Binary Domain get? I wasn't too far into it when my PC shat itself and I don't know when (or if) I'll ever be getting a new one. I was loving the game before that though.

It plays out from start to finish like a three-act 80's action movie, so it doesn't go space-baby-god-creature weird if that's what you're thinking. There is a great reveal as to what the gently caress is going on near the end though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You'll probably predict all the plot beats hours in advance. Not that it's really an issue, its not the kind of game trying to wow you with that stuff.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Welp here I am reinstalling Binary Domain because I forgot the ending. Remember it being a fun action game, though.

Big Bo for life.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will never grow tired of seeing bullets explode a mans testicles

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Sorry wrong thread

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I will never grow tired of seeing bullets explode a mans testicles in Sniper Elite 3

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

More like oldnutsless.

:fistpump:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

In Starsector there are these various nebulas in systems and out in space that slow you down and make it a bit harder to be picked up on sensors. When you enter them all of the sounds including the music becomes​ a bit muffled and muted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grey Fox posted:

Welp here I am reinstalling Binary Domain because I forgot the ending. Remember it being a fun action game, though.

Big Bo for life.

Big Bo is too good for us

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Binary domain is a buddy cop movie where you shoot robots. I hope this helps any goons on the fence.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

FauxGateau posted:

Binary domain is a buddy cop movie where you shoot robots. I hope this helps any goons on the fence.

Not everything that has wisecracking teammates is a "buddy cop movie". It is basically an 80s action movies like predator though.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Apr 21, 2017

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not everything that has wisecracking teammates is a "buddy cop movie". It is basically an 80s action movies like predator though.

There's a buddy and you're junkers. So really it's like snatcher.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
"The American version of Snatcher but made by Japan" was how I described it once

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jukebox Hero posted:

"The American version of Snatcher but made by Japan" was how I described it once

... I really need to reinstall this. Tried it once but gave up because the control prompts didn't change if you were using a 360 controller.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sunswipe posted:

... I really need to reinstall this. Tried it once but gave up because the control prompts didn't change if you were using a 360 controller.

It's a third-person shooter with light squad elements, it plays way better with a mouse and keyboard anyways. Also disable the voice control gimmick and use the menu instead, even though it means missing out on having people yell at you if you swear at them in real life.

e. To be on topic, Dan reacts to unexpectedly getting to use a jet ski as part of his day job about the same as I would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQaMADGRQxo

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Apr 23, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah I hear people who say they wanna wait till they got a good headset to play it but seriously, don't. The voice option poo poo was a huge misfire and you'll shut it off after 5 minutes, it's not nearly as interesting as it sounds.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah I hear people who say they wanna wait till they got a good headset to play it but seriously, don't. The voice option poo poo was a huge misfire and you'll shut it off after 5 minutes, it's not nearly as interesting as it sounds.

^^^^
this. so hard.

the pre-selected responses work just fine.

having Dan say "gently caress" loudly and out of context in most situations, causing his teammates to react uncomfortably, was the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Both the voice option and the team-affinity systems were terrible, because the latter makes you have to min/max a god dang oo-rah squad shooter if you don't want to get a hackneyed "bittersweet" ending.