Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Huskalator posted:

Is there ever any reason not to take expansion as the first tradition?

It seems so powerful and the other traditions are weak or their bonuses aren't useful till later in the game. I guess maybe you could go diplo if you've got a big powerful enemy nearby.

I always adopt prosperity as first pick even if I don't fill it out right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Baronjutter posted:

So have I gotten really good at tech or is survey corps just super ultra broken? I've re-started games 3 times now because my early game lead is just insane. By the time I've got cruisers every other empire is listed as inferior or pathetic in tech compared to me. I end up spamming habitats and have terraformed everything by the time other empires are building their first battleships.

Survey Corps is basically doubling your research speed if you have enough science ships working and scales perfectly with reserach output. It's gloriously broken.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Baronjutter posted:

So have I gotten really good at tech or is survey corps just super ultra broken? I've re-started games 3 times now because my early game lead is just insane. By the time I've got cruisers every other empire is listed as inferior or pathetic in tech compared to me. I end up spamming habitats and have terraformed everything by the time other empires are building their first battleships.

It really is, I'm so far ahead of everyone.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I can only assume that bonus is going to be greatly reduced once next patch rolls around.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

King Doom posted:

Well, there's now one of those partially exploded planets you see around black holes where the fallen empires 25 tile gaia world used to be.

For real? That's loving rad.

I mean, shame about the Gaia getting wrecked, but still.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

King Doom posted:

Well, there's now one of those partially exploded planets you see around black holes where the fallen empires 25 tile gaia world used to be.

So superweapons are already in :v:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Posted this once and the forums tossed me an error. Double checked the thread and I can't see it so hopefully this isn't a double-post.

Ground Combat Alternative:

Just rip a page out of the Amplitude playbook for Endless Space.

ES1: Planets have a fortification value based on population and buildings. Ships have a siege value from a module you can design on them. I forget the exact math but basically you park a ship with siege value in orbit, click invasion, and wait until your siege value wears down the planet fortification value.

ES2: Still not totally sold on this one but the same general system idea applies. Differences are you three unit types (Infantry, Armor, Aircraft) and you can upgrade them to be stronger on the defense. Instead of a siege and fortification value you have manpower. Manpower is built up by planets (except for one race which is semi-robotic and thus constructs manpower as an ongoing production project) with the ability to either sacrifice population points for a quick boost or improving the amount generated per turn by buildings. Ships have a base manpower stat and it can be increased by modules. Amount of manpower on the fleet determines how many troops you have with the distribution set for Infantry/Armor/Aircraft set as a global value for your entire empire. As you take losses planets are refreshed from the global manpower pool and ships have to return to friendly tower and then pull from the global manpower pool. You invade planets by moving your fleet over a planet and hitting the invade button, but in ES2 you select one of three "plans"

Just for reference the plans you can select are either increased health for your troops as the expensive of fewer combat rounds per turn (basically slower conquering for fewer losses). Lower health but increased combat rounds per turn (increased losses for faster conquering). Pre-combat bombardment (default number of rounds and potential damage to enemy army, but also potential to destroy buildings or pop points).

------------------------------

The nice thing about either Endless Space is you don't have to build or shuttle around troops. You have to choose between strength in invading a planet versus strength in a space battle on your ships, but you don't have unique transports which are useless otherwise or heavily disadvantaged just for being troop transports. In ES2 you don't even need to build ships with manpower boosting modules if your fleet is big enough on it's own. It's just clean, simple, and easy.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Why the gently caress are sectors building robots when they've got no tiles for them to work and already have unemployed pops?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Lprsti99 posted:

Sounds like regular hivemind will no longer consume pops by default so you can be friendly hive.

Hope that's the case.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It's incredibly broken. I've stopped taking it because it makes everything so trivial

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So the description says it adds UP TO 1/3 of your research per month if you are surveying, how is it doubling then? Is there something actually broken with the mechanics? From reading the description it sounds like so long as you have at least one science ship surveying it gives you a nice 33% extra science, which is still huge. But multiple ships are stacking the bonus? How's it actually calculating?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it's a terrible idea, ground combat needs more abstraction not less

People like you ruined Paradox :mad:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Baronjutter posted:

So the description says it adds UP TO 1/3 of your research per month if you are surveying, how is it doubling then? Is there something actually broken with the mechanics? From reading the description it sounds like so long as you have at least one science ship surveying it gives you a nice 33% extra science, which is still huge. But multiple ships are stacking the bonus? How's it actually calculating?

It is 1/3rd per object surveyed. It works with multiple ships going at once.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

At the start of every month, you gain X points towards your research goal where X is your research amount. If you have stored research, it will drain from your stored research pool up to the value of your monthly research amount. So, as long as you have more stored research than your monthly research amount, you will gain X*2 towards your research goal.

Every time you survey a thing, you get 1/3rd of your monthly research added to your stored research pool. As long as you survey three things in a month, you will always have double research speed.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It doesn't say "up to" anywhere:

quote:

Gain Research Points equal to a third of our monthly gain when surveying planets.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy gently caress that's powerful considering every other bonus in the game is generally some little +5% or +10% thing.
It should be a flat "did you survey something this month? If yes get 1/3, if no, get nothing" binary check. Even that would constitute a 33% monthly bonus, which seems fair enough since I'm usually out of poo poo to survey by mid game.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

When embracing a faction's governing ethic, is there any way to tell which ethic it's going to replace? Right now I have Xenophobic, spiritualist, and militarist, and I plan on becoming a fanatic purifier after I research this psionics card.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm not even entirely sure how to tell what ethic a faction is sometimes.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

MuffinsAndPie posted:

When embracing a faction's governing ethic, is there any way to tell which ethic it's going to replace? Right now I have Xenophobic, spiritualist, and militarist, and I plan on becoming a fanatic purifier after I research this psionics card.

Pretty sure you aren't. (Fanatic Purifier is one of those "Must be picked at species creation" civics I believe.)

E:

GlyphGryph posted:

Easy way is to go to the Promote/Suppress box and read the tooltip. It'll tell you which ethos will be promoted/suppressed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GlyphGryph posted:

Anything to do with political freedom and not enslaving or restricting people or having different levels of quality of life is egalitarian. Will be poo poo like "Freedom Foundation" or "Civil Rights Union" or what ever.
Materialist creates a faction that wants robots, research treaties, and you being on the cutting edge of science. It's usually something like "Scientific Advancement Forum" or something obviously sciency.
Xenophiles will create a faction that wants at least X races living in your empire, refugees welcome, and full rights for xeno's. Will be something like the "Xeno Aid Organization"
Xenophobes will want the opposite obviously, no migration treaties, primary species only for leadership and so on. Will be something like "human supremacy council"
Militarists will want recent conquest and war and local rivals. Will have a cool name like "The Red Sword" or "Strength Through Conquest"
Pacifists are where it gets really weird. They are ferengi. Obviously they don't want war, but beyond that all their demands are about hoarding energy credits, securing exotic resources, and taking the prosperity unity pick. They will have a greedy or financial sounding name like "Internal Wealth Foundation" or "Financial Prosperity Alliance"
Spiritualists make religious sounding factions, I don't see them very often but it's something like "Alliance of the True Faith", stuff like that. They hate robbits, get fussy if you're not a theocracy

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
I think I remember there being two phobe factions, depending on if you're pacifist or not. Nots get the "Purge the xenos" faction, pacifists get isolationists.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I always get pacifist and materialist mixed up because of the way the peace faction works.

Also I ended up with a fanatic xenophile/spiritualist government, so I guess I'll keep trying embracing factions every 10 years until I can find out if I can be fanatical psychic purifiers.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I always get pacifist and materialist mixed up because of the way the peace faction works.

Also I ended up with a fanatic xenophile/spiritualist government, so I guess I'll keep trying embracing factions every 10 years until I can find out if I can be fanatical psychic purifiers.

Try this next time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Created the "Cardassian Union" with Prefect Dukat as the starting leader. Conquered a 4-planet empire during Dukat's lifespan, enslaved the species that inhabited them, and dubbed that area of space the "Bajoran Sector".

Good stuff. I can almost hear "ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS" coming out of the slave processing center I built on their home world.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think the factions are actually super weird right now.

Would be better if they had two ethoses, I think. Then you could actually directly pit the factions against each other and have interesting interactions.

But I dunno the faction system is sort of super weird right now and I don't actually like it because I don't actually understand what's happening or how I'm supposed to interact with it most of the time.

I also miss being able to push it and get xenophilia bonuses for alien races that made my pops happy to have diverse planets.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think everyone was supposed to hate my hivemind based on that -30 malus but I'm somehow pretty popular because I held out until someone else started being a little warmonger :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Chomp8645 posted:

Created the "Cardassian Union" with Prefect Dukat as the starting leader. Conquered a 4-planet empire during Dukat's lifespan, enslaved the species that inhabited them, and dubbed that area of space the "Bajoran Sector".

Good stuff. I can almost hear "ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS" coming out of the slave processing center I built on their home world.

Have you tried the Star Trek mod, my pal? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

Incidentally, Cardassia did nothing wrong

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Huskalator posted:

Is there ever any reason not to take expansion as the first tradition?

It seems so powerful and the other traditions are weak or their bonuses aren't useful till later in the game. I guess maybe you could go diplo if you've got a big powerful enemy nearby.

If you're going to be expanding rapidly, the correct play to open the Prosperity line first for -33% mining station discount (together with an appropriate ruler you can be laying down mining stations for 37 minerals), then dive into Expansion.

canepazzo posted:

New 1.6 civic showcased in the stream:

Hmm, Devouring Swarm just seems like a crappier version of Fanatic Purifier. Incidentally, running around with a +100% firing rate modifier is absolutely hilarious.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shugojin posted:

I think everyone was supposed to hate my hivemind based on that -30 malus but I'm somehow pretty popular because I held out until someone else started being a little warmonger :v:

I don't think they're supposed to hate you just for being a hivemind, they're meant to be more wary/skeptical.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I just encountered a great example of how hilariously OP "Planetary Survey Corps" is.

In my current game, I'm playing as a a bunch of peaceful isolationists, generally keeping to myself and trying to play "tall". I rush to get PSC right at the beginning of the game.

My next-door neighbors are the default Chinorr who really do not like me.

I decide to mouse over to some of their planets and I notice that a lot of their pops are very unhappy. It turns out that all of those pops are members of the materialist/tech faction, which also happens to be the largest faction in their empire. If you've noticed, the materialist faction really does not like it when another empire they've had contact with significantly outpaces them technologically.

Then I start checking out some other empires and I see more-or-less the same thing.

It turns out that my research progress is so far ahead of every other empire that every single materialist faction in every other empire in the galaxy has an effectively permanent happiness penalty.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

rushing PSC with multiple science ships just feels like cheating right now. Is there a mod that nerfs its benefits?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How much does the AI actually care about happiness though?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Jabarto posted:

Spiral galaxies looks interesting from both aesthetic and gameplay perspectives but you might as well name them "gently caress hyperlanes" so I'm sticking with ellipticals.

From a few pages back, but you might like the Natural Spiral Galaxies mod. Makes the spiral arms 'fuzzier', and there are more lanes between arms.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Chomp8645 posted:

Dukat was Right

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Baronjutter posted:

faction words
Just a note that there can be different factions bound to the same ethics.

For example, I currently have two xenophobe factions. One is the usual racial supremacy bunch who want to gently caress up the xenos and ensure the main species have all the rights. The other is promoting isolationism; they basically just want to stay out of everything, let the rest of the galaxy sink or swim.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

prolecat posted:

From a few pages back, but you might like the Natural Spiral Galaxies mod. Makes the spiral arms 'fuzzier', and there are more lanes between arms.

I kinda like having some actual geography in the maps I play, lets Nations develop into shapes beyond "roundish cloud".

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Nordick posted:

Just a note that there can be different factions bound to the same ethics.

For example, I currently have two xenophobe factions. One is the usual racial supremacy bunch who want to gently caress up the xenos and ensure the main species have all the rights. The other is promoting isolationism; they basically just want to stay out of everything, let the rest of the galaxy sink or swim
That's in fact the only such double faction ethos, to my knowledge.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Slung Blade posted:

For real? That's loving rad.

I mean, shame about the Gaia getting wrecked, but still.

So make another one

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Being as irritated with PSC's absurd power as the rest of you, I just threw a quickie onto the Workshop that nerfs it into the ground. With the nerf it's a flat +5/+5/+5 per survey, which should still be an OK early boost if you grab it quickly but tapers off really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Guildencrantz posted:

Being as irritated with PSC's absurd power as the rest of you, I just threw a quickie onto the Workshop that nerfs it into the ground. With the nerf it's a flat +5/+5/+5 per survey, which should still be an OK early boost if you grab it quickly but tapers off really hard.

This doesn't sound like a good fix. With this you MUST grab it early or it's not worth getting ever. Although I grant you that's still better than it being a MUST PICK in every game.

The whole idea behind PCS is stupid and it should be thrown out wholesale. Replace it with a boost to research stations and/or observation stations and/or frontier outposts. Sensible and thematic.

• Locked thread