Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Juicero could just switch to selling juice in stores. Why even have the machine?

So they can get you to buy an overpriced machine then keep you subscribed to overpriced juice because hey might as well use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Juicero could just switch to selling juice in stores. Why even have the machine?

Presumably other companies can and are already doing the same, for much cheaper. Juicero must have already sunk tons of money into designing and manufacturing their fake home juicers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mu Zeta posted:

Then they'd be a food company, not a tech company. Food companies don't get truckloads of VC cash thrown at them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also the obvious example: they wanted to convince people to buy their $700$400 machine. It's the big ticket item they're trying to push. If their goal was to make money on juice itself, they'd just sell the pouches to everyone online.

They were probably also able to get a lot of attention by putting up a shiny machine that appeals to Silicon Valley tech hipsters with money to burn.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Silicon Valley is all about either making eating more complicated or trying to avoid it altogether.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

United - the monolithic corporate entity - did nothing.

The people who were working for the company called the police, which was in some people's opinion a mistake.

The last thing we should want is for people to be afraid to call the police when a child could potentially be at risk.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sassassin posted:

The last thing we should want is for people to be afraid to call the police when a child could potentially be at risk.

So we should indulge every drunk paranoid racist forever?

Like, can someone explain to me why it was necessary to question this guy about anything? This dude who is not causing any trouble and who's child is not showing any sign of distress?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
SWAT all streamers, IMO.

Even if there’s been a false alarm in the past, there’s no reason the streamer couldn’t be holding hostages this time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sassassin posted:

Yeah, we definitely don't want people to stop and engage in rational risk examination. If you see something, say something! Ignore the fact that the vast majority of things you see are in no way a threat, and that overreacting to non-threats has real costs.

You've got a completely standard thing of a young child traveling with an adult male, in a world where male parental care is now so normalized that there are diaper-changing tables in male restrooms, and who she is entirely comfortable with and clearly recognizes and trusts, and there is absolutely no suggestion on the face of anything in this situation that there is anything untoward going on. On the other hand, you have a drunk passenger. Gee, what should you do? I know: call the cops! Because that never results in anything bad happening to completely innocent people.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Apr 20, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

So we should indulge every drunk paranoid racist forever?

Like, can someone explain to me why it was necessary to question this guy about anything? This dude who is not causing any trouble and who's child is not showing any sign of distress?

The thing I'm most surprised about is that he was actually carrying a signed statement from the mother saying they could travel together. Is that a common thing for one parent travelling with a child?

What's one more security check at an airport these days? He had everything in order.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

sassassin posted:

The thing I'm most surprised about is that he was actually carrying a signed statement from the mother saying they could travel together. Is that a common thing for one parent travelling with a child?

What's one more security check at an airport these days? He had everything in order.

If I had to guess, it probably has to do with a minor travelling internationally with only 1 parent/guardian to what is probably a high-risk territory. That's just a guess, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpacePig posted:

If I had to guess, it probably has to do with a minor travelling internationally with only 1 parent/guardian to what is probably a high-risk territory. That's just a guess, though.

Or an awareness that there are enough knee-jerk-paranoid busybodies in the world that the chances of one of them seeing a child and her father traveling together and freaking out and calling the cops are high enough to make it worth doing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

sassassin posted:

It's highly recommended by the U.S. Dept. of State, to crack down on parental child abductions stemming from custody battles. My husband, who doesn't travel much, wrote up a letter allowing our son to travel anywhere for any length of time with me and/or my parents in any combination; we got it notarized and take it with us/send it with him on those rare occasions when he travels with only one or neither of us. They recommend doing the same when your minor child travels with a church or school group without a parent. I don't think we've ever been asked to produce the letter, but better safe than sorry. (Also, we're all white.)

In fact, reading this story reminded me of this letter and the fact that we have a mother-son trip to Japan coming up. :ohdear: I found the letter and am putting it a safe place.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sassassin posted:

International flight, travelling with only one parent to a country where that parent is a legal citizen. International Parental Kidnapping happens, and the US has no exit controls AND doesn't require two parent consent for international travel. Happens often when parents are separating or will be required to split custody that one of them will flee the US back to their home country with the kids. It's a crime and an internationally recognized one, so if the parent flees to some place like Mexico, England, or the Philippines the local law enforcement is going to help out.
You'll get a lot less help from local authorities if one parent fled to somewhere like Yemen.

Guy probably came prepared with it to ensure that nothing weird would happen if questioned (didn't work!)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'd rather a hundred innocent men be asked by the proper authorities to present paperwork they're recommended to carry than see one child successfully trafficked because people were scared to look silly/racist or give their employers a PR problem.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sassassin posted:

That's recommended by the Canadian government for all travel outside the country with no or only one parent, and the reason they give is basically a politer version of

Phanatic posted:

Or an awareness that there are enough knee-jerk-paranoid busybodies in the world that the chances of one of them seeing a child and her father traveling together and freaking out and calling the cops are high enough to make it worth doing.

sassassin posted:

I'd rather a hundred innocent men be asked by the proper authorities to present paperwork they're recommended to carry than see one child successfully trafficked because people were scared to look silly/racist or give their employers a PR problem.

Please try responding to things that actually happened, not things that you would have liked to have happened instead.

ToxicFrog has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Apr 20, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

sassassin posted:

They did check the paperwork, but still grilled the guy on trivia about his daughter, and called the wife to confirm all of the info. Kinda defeats the purpose of having it if it doesn't work as intended.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, the way Port Authority handled it is where I have the problem. I also have a problem with the drunk racist, but as far as United taking a passenger's concerns seriously I can't be that upset about it. It's not United's job to substantiate the validity of reported suspicious activity, just to inform those whose job that actually is. There's plenty to hate on United (and pretty much any US airline), but in this case I don't see much they could have done besides ignoring a customer's concern...which is what led to them bouncing a dude's face off a seat a week or so ago.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Again, who the gently caress brings White girls into the country for trafficking.

It's like seeing a suspicious man walking into a bank holding a bag full of money and assuming he's robbing the place. It's not that they shouldn't have questioned the Latino man with a child that looks nothing like him while traveling internationally; they just got the direction wrong.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's no loving reason they even have to hassle the dude enough to ask him for the papers. Like this is 2017, you can't order a pizza without having your life story typed into a file somewhere. I don't see why they can't just run the guys passport while the plane is in the air and establish immediately who he is and what he is doing on the plane.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

sassassin posted:

I guarantee you that if the cops are called every time a father travels alone with small child of an apparently different ethnic composition, you will wind up with far more innocent people brutalized by the cops or children confiscated by CPS than kidnappings prevented.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
White people get trafficked for sex a whole bunch too. Of all the bullshit in this story that one really isn't a stretch.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I wish we could know how the conversation between the drunk woman and the flight staff went. I mean, they must have asked her to explain why she thought the dad was a child trafficker, right? Did she make up some evidence or did she just have a hunch and they figured that was enough reason to call the cops?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hardcordion posted:

I wish we could know how the conversation between the drunk woman and the flight staff went. I mean, they must have asked her to explain why she thought the dad was a child trafficker, right? Did she make up some evidence or did she just have a hunch and they figured that was enough reason to call the cops?

She is a racist

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

purple death ray posted:

She is a racist

Duh, but how did she get the flight staff to go along with it? Did they just say "oh, you're right, he looks pretty mexican, I'd better call security"?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hardcordion posted:

Duh, but how did she get the flight staff to go along with it? Did they just say "oh, you're right, he looks pretty mexican, I'd better call security"?

Turns out a lot of other Americans are also racist

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hardcordion posted:

Possibly the staff are told to forward things like that to the police no matter what, since if it turns out he was trying to traffic a child and they ignored the drunk racist then people would point fingers at them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Slime posted:

Possibly the staff are told to forward things like that to the police no matter what, since if it turns out he was trying to traffic a child and they ignored the drunk racist then people would point fingers at them.

Doesn't really matter though as the universe would wait until United made a decision and then realign itself so that whatever they did was wrong, because at this point the universe is just loving with them

Ffs a scorpion stung a dude on their plane, theres got to be some kind of Loki style trickster God who just bought stock in every other airline

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

There was a meme going around about a women who saw some kid on a flight and talked to the stewardess and it turns out it actually was a kidnapping thing going on. I guarantee you that has something to do with it, it has like a gazillion shares on Facebook.

e: I think it was this one http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38880612

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

I guarantee you that if the cops are called every time a father travels alone with small child of an apparently different ethnic composition, you will wind up with far more innocent people brutalized by the cops or children confiscated by CPS than kidnappings prevented.
Yes, but those innocent people aren't white, so it doesn't matter, according to people who could probably do with a bit of brutalizing themselves.

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Apr 20, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
People had been making fun of juicero since it got announced. They deserve public shaming.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

Again, who the gently caress brings White girls into the country for trafficking.

It's like seeing a suspicious man walking into a bank holding a bag full of money and assuming he's robbing the place. It's not that they shouldn't have questioned the Latino man with a child that looks nothing like him while traveling internationally; they just got the direction wrong.

If you bothered to read the article you'd see the mother point out they do look alike. Skin color isn't the only physical attribute people have, and it is loving racist as poo poo to think skin color means a parent and child can't look alike.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

http://gizmodo.com/juicero-ceo-begs-you-do-not-open-our-juice-bags-1794507811

The CEO of Juicero begs people to not open the juice bags.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Mods please change my name to Juice Daddy.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

ravenkult posted:

There was a meme going around about a women who saw some kid on a flight and talked to the stewardess and it turns out it actually was a kidnapping thing going on. I guarantee you that has something to do with it, it has like a gazillion shares on Facebook.

e: I think it was this one http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38880612

Big difference here was that the teen girl looked scared and disheveled and the accompanying man refused to let the stewardess speak to her, despite her being a teenager. Would have raised red flags for any employee, I would hope.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sucrose posted:

Big difference here was that the teen girl looked scared and disheveled and the accompanying man refused to let the stewardess speak to her, despite her being a teenager. Would have raised red flags for any employee, I would hope.

Yes, obviously if a child is struggling a whole bunch and looks to be in distress and the father is acting super shady about it all, then you might want to question that guy.

This situation seems to have included none of those factors.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

sassassin posted:

Pretty much this. I'm not in United's corner by any means, but this was a lose lose scenario for them. Next time something like this happens and it actually IS a case of trafficking or whatever and they ignore it fearing a PR disaster, they employees could easily get jail time or massive fines or something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Pretty much this. I'm not in United's corner by any means, but this was a lose lose scenario for them. Next time something like this happens and it actually IS a case of trafficking or whatever and they ignore it fearing a PR disaster, they employees could easily get jail time or massive fines or something.

No, they could not. That's ridiculous.

Yes, faced with an actual case of trafficking if they ignored it it would be a PR disaster. So what? This wasn't an actual case of trafficking, and that is *not* a thing that's only discernable in hindsight. Again, the *only evidence of trafficking* was the random claim from a drunk passenger. If that is the "call the cops" standard, then that is a *broken policy*, in the exact same way "call the cops when a guy you have no reason to kick off the plane is calmly refusing to leave his seat" is a broken policy, for exactly the same reasons: invoking the cops is inherently dangerous. Maybe you just want them to take the guy off the plane, and they give him a concussion. Maybe you just want them to investigate what is clearly an utterly ridiculous claim from one passenger against another, and this happens, or worse:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/08/the-problem-is-im-black/379357/

Yes, if you didn't have such a policy, then your employees at the very bottom end of the chain might have to think for themselves once in a while instead of robotically following a script with an explicit function call to the police. But even a modicum of thought would have indicated that this was not a case where an actual crime was occurring, that this wasn't a case where there was even the barest rational reason to suspect a crime might be occurring, and a corporation that tells its employees "Call the cops in such cases" is nobody's friend and is not helping anyone.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Rough Lobster posted:

IT ISN'T ABOUT loving IGNORING IT. HE HAD THE GODDAMN PAPERWORK PROVING EVERYTHING. THE ONLY THING OUT OF LINE HERE WAS SOME DRUNK BITCH MAKING BASELESS ACCUSATIONS AND THIS DUDE AND HIS DAUGHTER GOT DETAINED, SEPARATED AND loving GRILLED.
What loving part don't you understand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst United could have saved that family a world of pain by exercising common sense and looking through their manifest and/or asking to see the notarized letter and passports. The cops could have done the same, instead of interrogating a frightened 3 year old girl.

Now fair enough the cops have to take any allegation seriously and investigate it. But why wasn't their first option to look at the papers and passports, rather than shove them in the detention cells and start yelling at them?

Also, this sets a dangerous precedent as no you can accuse anyone you like on an United flight of anything safe in the knowledge that you will get away scott free and they will be detained at the airport.

"Hey stewardess, that bitch in the seat in front who keeps bumping my chair, she looks like a terrorist/child rapist. Now get me another whiskey."