Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

That's only really true of SDCC, which is a huge outlier in the world of nerd cons.

Quakecon is also a smaller convention that basically sells out fairly quickly that most people haven't heard of. People are spending 50$ per person to go to a lan party that use to be free in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
PAXes, SDCC, NYCC, even the smaller comic con they have in NYC sells out very quickly. I expect HasCon will be bombarded with MLP fans in the first thirty seconds after registration opens.

Angry Grimace posted:

Maro pointed out at one point that they had bigger plans than they did for the 25th Anniversary because fans got pissed off about the 20th having basically nothing.

Here it is. :lol: at them not celebrating the 20th anniversary because it would "scare new players away".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Shortest Path posted:

In addition to crap like shivan dragon, of course.

If we're going for "Iconic" cards from early Magic, you gotta have Shivan Dragon, Hurloon Minotaur and Craw Wurm in there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BJPaskoff posted:

Here it is. :lol: at them not celebrating the 20th anniversary because it would "scare new players away".
I want to imagine it's some grognards higher-up that said no but there was mark rose water with his goblin voice trying to convince them otherwise.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

That's only really true of SDCC, which is a huge outlier in the world of nerd cons.

Uhh I don't think you have been to Gen Con.

Edit: Oh you were talking about selling out of badges, I think Gen Con still counts as the hotel rooms run out fast enough that people can't attend

goth smoking cloves fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 20, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

If we're going for "Iconic" cards from early Magic, you gotta have Shivan Dragon, Hurloon Minotaur and Craw Wurm in there.

With 75 sets (74 expansions through Amonkhet + Alpha), they can do 2 cards from every set and still have room left over. Hell, even Homelands can offer up Baron Sengir and Memory Lapse.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheChirurgeon posted:

With 75 sets (74 expansions through Amonkhet + Alpha), they can do 2 cards from every set and still have room left over. Hell, even Homelands can offer up Baron Sengir and Memory Lapse.

We gotta get Merchant Scroll and Serrated Arrows in there, gonna have to bump another set.

e: and you need to have both arts of Memory Lapse!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Shivan Dragon would probably be busted at uncommon?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

We gotta get Merchant Scroll and Serrated Arrows in there, gonna have to bump another set.

But what about Didgeridoo?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

Don't forget storm crow. Lol storm crow 😂

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Count Bleck posted:

I just want it to have reserved list cards so I can watch the "investors" shriek their heads off on reddit.

all 6 of them?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Don't forget storm crow. Lol storm crow 😂

That was in Alliances wasn't it? Another card with multiple arts in the same set!

I actually miss when they did that. I think it was only Antiquities, Fallen Empires, Alliances and Homelands, right?

Is the excuse for not doing it any more that it's hard enough for new players to recognize all the cards in a limited environment with just one art for each? I guess that holds for Limited but it seems like a weak excuse for constructed with all the different art reprints every set ends up having.

I think if they did it now, it'd be significantly less confusing than they think, since their art direction is much more controlled and consistent now, so you could have like 3 versions of a creature in the same art style that formed a panorama, instead of 3 versions in completely different art styles depicting completely different types, a la Fallen Empires:

They'd have to pay for extra art, but they already do that for basics lands every set and it doesn't seem to break the bank.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

Is the excuse for not doing it any more that it's hard enough for new players to recognize all the cards in a limited environment with just one art for each?
Yes, and it's a valid excuse even when considering regular players.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It was an excuse to increase how often a card appeared in a set and to fill out card slots in any given set so they could advertise it as being say "266 cards" as opposed to really being 221 cards.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

That was in Alliances wasn't it? Another card with multiple arts in the same set!

I actually miss when they did that. I think it was only Antiquities, Fallen Empires, Alliances and Homelands, right?

Is the excuse for not doing it any more that it's hard enough for new players to recognize all the cards in a limited environment with just one art for each? I guess that holds for Limited but it seems like a weak excuse for constructed with all the different art reprints every set ends up having.

I think if they did it now, it'd be significantly less confusing than they think, since their art direction is much more controlled and consistent now, so you could have like 3 versions of a creature in the same art style that formed a panorama, instead of 3 versions in completely different art styles depicting completely different types, a la Fallen Empires:

They'd have to pay for extra art, but they already do that for basics lands every set and it doesn't seem to break the bank.

Yeah you don't really see it now. They did two arts for Ertai in Invasion, and they did an alternate art for the foil Kaya in Conspiracy 2 but as far as I know, that's it.

e: agree that the reasons for not doing it on commons are solid, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Shivan Dragon would probably be busted at uncommon?

Shivan Dragon would be an okay open if they kept Melissa Benson's art and not the generic gently caress dragon they've used since what, Sixth Edition?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Angry Grimace posted:

Shivan Dragon would be an okay open if they kept Melissa Benson's art and not the generic gently caress dragon they've used since what, Sixth Edition?

That thing is so loving gross. I didn't particularly love Benson's art (her Nightmare is much better), but it was full of character that the yellow turd they put out in 5th edition or whatever lacked

Ditto Serra Angel, though the most recent one is OK if also generic

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

its me glenda posted:

It was an excuse to increase how often a card appeared in a set and to fill out card slots in any given set so they could advertise it as being say "266 cards" as opposed to really being 221 cards.
I only now realized that every basic land eats up one of the 269 card slots. :aaa:

Edit: But apparently BFZ full arts shared a collector's number with their regular frame versions? Huh.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 20, 2017

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah you don't really see it now. They did two arts for Ertai in Invasion, and they did an alternate art for the foil Kaya in Conspiracy 2 but as far as I know, that's it.

e: agree that the reasons for not doing it on commons are solid, though.

BROTHERS YAMAZAKI

Eikre
May 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

What cards will be in Byronic masters

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BJPaskoff posted:

PAXes, SDCC, NYCC, even the smaller comic con they have in NYC sells out very quickly. I expect HasCon will be bombarded with MLP fans in the first thirty seconds after registration opens.

This is the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard, even by WOTC standards.

Angry Grimace posted:

The art from the "From the Vault: Dragons" set isn't bad, but still not a patch on the original: http://magiccards.info/fvd/en/13.html

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, Benson's dragon is in the running for the most iconic art from the early sets.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What cards will be in Byronic masters

Urza is probably the character fitting the Byronic Hero archetype the most.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I just want a Nicol Bolas reprint with him reading a book again instead of whatever the gently caress they did in that FTV set.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

Yeah, Benson's dragon is in the running for the most iconic art from the early sets.

Yup, looked at how much it would be to get a black border version of the good Shivan art just for nostalgia sake, gently caress that. Sad too, I remember in 7th or 8th grade at lunch some kid cracked a whole box of 4e. Nobody's parents bought them whole booster boxes back in the day. Luck gently caress sack got a Shivan.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

BJPaskoff posted:

This is the high water mark of that meme that everybody involved with Magic does. When you want to prove a point or make an argument, just conjure up the absolute dumbest motherfucker imaginable and talk about how it would scare him.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I just want a Nicol Bolas reprint with him reading a book again instead of whatever the gently caress they did in that FTV set.

The problem with bringing back Nipple Bolas is that he became an iconic character in modern MTG lore, so they have a style guide related to him that doesn't match the original artwork.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

clamiam45 posted:

This is the high water mark of that meme that everybody involved with Magic does. When you want to prove a point or make an argument, just conjure up the absolute dumbest motherfucker imaginable and talk about how it would scare him.

I don't think it has anything to do with the hypothetical 'dumbest idiot player.' Rather, I think it was more about whether younger players (the "Yugioh crowd" if you will) would be turned off by the idea of playing a game that was 20 years old. Think more "Magic? That's the game my fuckin dad plays"

It was still a very, very dumb move.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The problem with iconics is making then draftable.

Shivan Dragon as a rare in a $10 pack would be bullshit.

Shivan Dragon as an uncommon breaks drafting those $10 packs.

I'm certainly curious how that all will turn out.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PJOmega posted:

The problem with iconics is making then draftable.

Shivan Dragon as a rare in a $10 pack would be bullshit.

Shivan Dragon as an uncommon breaks drafting those $10 packs.

I'm certainly curious how that all will turn out.

6 mana for a 5/5 flyer in red at U isn't gonna break your draft, particularly if the format is also sporting Mahamoti Djinns, Ernham Djinns, Serra Angels, and Sengir Vampires at Uncommon.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with bringing back Nipple Bolas is that he became an iconic character in modern MTG lore, so they have a style guide related to him that doesn't match the original artwork.

That's fine, I just want him reading like the scholarly dragon he is, instead of roaring at some poor bird or whatever is going on in the FTV art.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

6 mana for a 5/5 flyer in red at U isn't gonna break your draft, particularly if the format is also sporting Mahamoti Djinns, Ernham Djinns, Serra Angels, and Sengir Vampires at Uncommon.

It's still probably better than most uncommons though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It's still probably better than most uncommons though.

the set's gonna prob have terror, it'll be fine

and even if somehow they forget to put in any removal whatsoever shivan dragon isn't going to break the format

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
in a just and good world shivan dragon is a common

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Shivan Dragon would have been a very good, but not the best, uncommon in most recent sets imo

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

in a just and good world shivan dragon Tarmogoyf is a common

FTFY

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

mandatory lesbian posted:

in a just and good world shivan dragon is a common

This just reminds me of how dumb it was that the creative team made the dragons plane one where there were no baby or young dragons so there could only be C/U dragon cards through finding corner case drawbacks and other silliness.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

whydirt posted:

This just reminds me of how dumb it was that the creative team made the dragons plane one where there were no baby or young dragons so there could only be C/U dragon cards through finding corner case drawbacks and other silliness.

There is one dragon in Shards of Alara block that is uncommon. The rest are all rares or mythic rares. And all dragons in Onslaught block are rare, even though Scourge pushes a dragon tribe.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elyv posted:

Shivan Dragon would have been a very good, but not the best, uncommon in most recent sets imo

Yeah, at least it isn't colorless. Looking at you Untethered Express.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

No joke, this was one of the reasons I decided that pursuing a job with WotC making Magic wasn't something I wanted to do. (The Glassdoor reviews didn't help.)