Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I cannot seem to win against woodelves after they get 3 or 4 stacks without pause or slowmo and it actually made me loose my enchantress campaign. Although tbf I positioned my army incorrectly for how my reinforcements came in. Couldn't tell which was the city and which was my second army.

Someone upthread suggested dropping the current reinforcement mechanic and just letting you deploy up to 40 cards at once if there's reinforcements. It makes so much more sense that way, it's maddening having everything dribble in then slowly moving them all together into something coherent - although not as maddening as it was when the mechanic was bugged entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Vortexes onto walls would instantly kill everything on the wall since they're tightly packed and can't move.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
So what you're saying is we need a mod for casting winds of death on walls post haste.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah against the WE as Bretonnia, the big fights I had were hellish, since WE units are all solid enough that their reinforcement order didn't hurt them that badly, but other armies require a rather exact mix or their units can't function. Getting like, all your archers at once as Bretonnia just means you have a lot of dead archers. Or all your cav decides to show up at the very end of the battle so you don't get your signature units for the majority of the fight. I won those battles on virtue of just fighting them as the bonus boss after my actual campaign victory and conquest of nearly all human settlements.

The reinforcement-on-the-map-edge feature itself is just fine and adds pressure on both sides, but I really wish you had a lot more idea early on of what was showing up where, and some ability to influence the order. Like you get an icon of reinforce locations, you click it, and then click on what units you want to come onto the map from the available pool for that particular reinforcement location.

On that note and going more into the Wish Fulfillment Zone, I kind of wish there was some kind of mid point between the strategic map and the tactical map, that either triggers or just becomes more relevant you have a lot of armies involved. I'm thinking gameplay similar to things like the Genghis Khan series: the armies wander around a map of the province/region, and when they attack each other, a battle breaks out that you play, which lasts a short while or something and is fought over some map feature (ala Sid Meirs Gettysburg!). Then the battle is suspended, so the nearby armies have a chance to reinforce or whatnot, and then you pick up the battle again for X minutes.

I suppose I'd be happy about such a thing as a means to give more of an ability for a large scale battle to feel more like a series of engagements, as opposed to one pitched battle which descends into a big free for all as reinforcements run in willy nilly. That and the ability to provide context for different styles of engagements: retreats with ambushes/rear guards, prolonged attempts to secure a river crossing, or weird crazy gambits like Okehazama or Guan Du. The current set up doesn't have that kind of granularity, which I've always been mildly miffed at.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So has anybody had a corrupted save problem? I just lost 8 turns of a Volkmar campaign because the game crashes everytime it tries to load either my save or the last autosave.

Yeah I've had this a few times. It's happened when the game has crashed when I clicked end turn and the auto save gets corrupted, had to go back to my last manual save. I recommend turning on cloud saves, that way if it happens again you should have an uncorrupted save from the previous turn to go back to.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
A new video about the upcoming game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR1YNhPqpDs

Not much new information there (except an implicit denial of the lizardman on the big dinosaur being a legendary lord) but I guess it's a bit more of a lore overview for those of us who aren't fully up on the setting.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 20, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

Not much new information there (except an implicit denial of the lizardman on the big dinosaur being a legendary lord) but I guess it's a bit more of a lore overview for those of us who aren't fully up on the setting.

Welp, no Skaven after all. The rat was "just a rat". :haw:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Perestroika posted:

Oh well, guess I'll just keep playing Vermintide until game 3 comes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

They also have generic lords riding t-rexes, to be fair.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Perestroika posted:

Wow, you're really have a hard time with subtlety!

A couple of points to consider:

1) Listen to how he responds to that with an uncertain tone compared to the rest of his talking in a pretty confident tone.

2) Even though this is filmed like an interview, it's produced by Total War themselves, so they didn't just add that in by accident, neither did they add the rat into the end of the video by accident.

3) In the Warhammer Fantasy universe we know the Empire denies the existence of Skaven, even Witchhunters get bollocked if they admit Skaven exist

4) There are 3 races and a 4th unconfirmed race. He mentions that the Lizardmen and the High Elves want to keep the Vortex stable and keep chaos at bay, but the "other races" may want to use it to their own ends. This means the other race has to be a "evil" race (not just because the good ones are already there).

I reckon skaven are definitely in the game, this is an attempt to keep people in suspense.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

There is definitely someone who has a subtlety problem, yes

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kitchner posted:

Wow, you're really have a hard time with subtlety!

A couple of points to consider:

1) Listen to how he responds to that with an uncertain tone compared to the rest of his talking in a pretty confident tone.

2) Even though this is filmed like an interview, it's produced by Total War themselves, so they didn't just add that in by accident, neither did they add the rat into the end of the video by accident.

3) In the Warhammer Fantasy universe we know the Empire denies the existence of Skaven, even Witchhunters get bollocked if they admit Skaven exist

4) There are 3 races and a 4th unconfirmed race. He mentions that the Lizardmen and the High Elves want to keep the Vortex stable and keep chaos at bay, but the "other races" may want to use it to their own ends. This means the other race has to be a "evil" race (not just because the good ones are already there).

I reckon skaven are definitely in the game, this is an attempt to keep people in suspense.

Source your quotes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

FutonForensic posted:

:eyepop:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FutonForensic posted:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

FutonForensic posted:

lol

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

FutonForensic posted:

This is what I get for not learning to speak emoji.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

:perfect:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Just because the saurus on the carnosaur isn't a legendary lord doesn't mean that Kroq'gar won't be one. He's pretty iconic to the Lizardmen and has a spear and magical gauntlet that shoots lightning. That wasn't him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The best thing about Kroq'gar is his carnosaur, called Grim'loq btw.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kitchner posted:

loving lmao, seriously?

I mean, if there was an underground horde of intelligent evil rats with bizarre chaos powers I would make a goddamn top priority getting dwarves and elves to create megatons of magical pesticide :v:

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
There's some suggestion that the Skaven have their top magicians repeatedly casting a ritual that makes people forget them I believe.

Unrelated, where does the fluff about Chaos Dwarfs creating pointless industrial pomp because Hashut demands it come from?

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 20, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

dead comedy forums posted:

loving lmao, seriously?

I mean, if there was an underground horde of intelligent evil rats with bizarre chaos powers I would make a goddamn top priority getting dwarves and elves to create megatons of magical pesticide :v:

The rat-catchers of the Empire fight an unending Shadow War beneath the cities against the Vermin threat. Spreading the truth around but only create a panic.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The best part about the Skaven conspiracy is that there was a time when plague killed a third he empire population and the Skaven openly invaded and slaved pretty much all the empire. One guy lead all that was left of the empire's army and drove them back, and got crowned emperor. This guys name was emperor Mandred Skavenslayer, but eventually the conspiracy was born and all of this forgotten. Ordinary people still wonders what the hell Mandred's nickname means :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Lobster posted:

The best part about the Skaven conspiracy is that there was a time when plague killed a third he empire population and the Skaven openly invaded and slaved pretty much all the empire. One guy lead all that was left of the empire's army and drove them back, and got crowned emperor. This guys name was emperor Mandred Skavenslayer, but eventually the conspiracy was born and all of this forgotten. Ordinary people still wonders what the hell Mandred's nickname means :allears:

Also, a certain mysterious fellow named Vladimir raised all the plague victims in Sylvania as zombies and let them loose on the Skaven army, delaying and weakening it enough for the forces of humanity to rally and prevail. That part of the story gets left out, too, for some reason. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

Also, a certain mysterious fellow named Vladimir raised all the plague victims in Sylvania as zombies and let them loose on the Skaven army, delaying and weakening it enough for the forces of humanity to rally and prevail. That part of the story gets left out, too, for some reason. :v:

Also taught the Von Drak and Van Hel families how to do the same, beginning the tradition of necromancy in Sylvania. Which would later lead to the skilled necromancer Isabella von Drak marrying a weird foreign noble named Vladimir.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rats only become a threat when humanity is weakened or distracted by someone else. It's kind of their thing. Luckily, humanity is always weakened and distracted by someone else so the Skaven are a very real threat.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

my dad posted:

Yeah fyi for those curious, Vlad and Isabella are technically "good" guys in WH.

Under Vlad's rule Sylvania went from a backwards shithole to one of the most prosperous realms in the Empire. He treated the peasantry well and ate all of the random bandits and criminals that infested old Sylvania. Even after it came out he was a vampire the people of Sylvania rallied behind him because he was the best Elector Count at the time, and fixed up Sylvania in ways nobody else had.

Rather then conquer the Empire during the Skaven wars he helped them fight off the Skaven.

During the end times he rallied the Empire armies and helped hold Altdorf.

He just wants to be happily married to Isabella and occasionally drink blood. Manfred is the dopey fuckup that ruins everything.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
actually, it's the skaven that are the actual good guys

1. rats hate trees and are therefore good https://youtu.be/rTVs_t7hvbU
2. actually that's my entire thesis
3. elves suck

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Tiler Kiwi posted:

actually, it's the skaven that are the actual good guys

1. rats hate trees and are therefore good https://youtu.be/rTVs_t7hvbU
2. actually that's my entire thesis
3. elves suck

As further evidence for #1, rats are now believed to be one of the major contributors towards deforestation on Easter Island.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Rats are good because they kill more rats than anyone else.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

This gave me the biggest laugh I've had in weeks.

I'm sorry that Witchhunters will now be after you.

dead comedy forums posted:

loving lmao, seriously?

Well a big reason that the Empire doesn't acknowledge the Skaven as well is that as far as the Skaven are aware, the Empire doesn't know about them. It's kind of a case of; if the Empire acknowledges them, then the Skaven know that the Empire knows they exist, and the Skaven will just flat out wipe them off the map because they know Skaven exist.

Like in fiction it's acknowledged that the Skaven could probably take over the world easily, if they ever stopped infighting and bickering among themselves.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 20, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rookersh posted:

Yeah fyi for those curious, Vlad and Isabella are technically "good" guys in WH.

Nah. They, like all Von Carstein vampires, are authoritarian power-mongering assholes who are literally feeding on their subjects, and see them as nothing more than livestock. It's just that they have an interest in keeping their livestock numerous, obedient, and reasonably competent at doing their duties, whether it's growing food to feed the rest of the human livestock, or making beautiful statues of their vampire overlords, or serving in their armies, or being prey in the latest hunt.

If you want something resembling a good(ish) vampire, you have to look at the Strigoi ghoul kings before they became the, well, ghoul kings. Their founder benevolently ruled over the city of Strig, helped it become incredibly prosperous, only ever fed on condemned murderers, and died in battle against impossible odds, desperately trying to protect his people against an Orc invasion, betrayed and sabotaged by all the other vampire bloodlines for not taking part in their take-over-the-world schemes. The Orcs razed Strig to the ground, and the surviving Strigani people fled, unable to find a permanent home because everyone suspected them of being too friendly with vampires. Even thousands of years later, they're still living a nomadic life, hated by most other humans (except the Sylvanians) for reasons that have long since turned into "you just know you can't trust those people". The Strigoi vampires were forced to resort to feeding on long dead corpses in order to survive, and have mostly lost their minds and become deformed, either becoming almost like animals in their hunger, or trying desperately to relive their old days of glory, with ghoul "cortiers", cave "castles", and swamp "domains".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hot drat if peg knights aren't godlike in sieges. Cycle charging the walls and knocking people off got me 560 kills with one unit, and they lost 4 guys on ultra.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Like in fiction it's acknowledged that the Skaven could probably take over the world easily, if they ever stopped infighting and bickering among themselves.

This is always a thing that annoys me in fiction, whether it's the Skaven in fantasy or the Orks in 40k or any of the other million "evil turns on itself" hordes. Having a faction that is completely impossible to stop if they just do Unlikely Thing X (typically unite) just serves to cheapen everything else. Yay, the Empire is slowly winning the war against Chaos, using technology and a steadily advancing civilization to drive back the night. Shame about the seventy kajillion rats under their feet who could destroy everything in five minutes if they felt like it. Oh, a desperate last-ditch effort by Men and Dwarfs stemmed a ferocious greenskin invasion? That's nice, did I mention that there's now NINETY kajillion rats under the world who could kill you all if they felt like it? It makes every threat that isn't the Skaven worthless, and destroys any tension or value from the actions of the heroic factions/people. While individual Skaven are a fun idea, the Skaven Race as a whole is just the worst thing in Warhammer. They would work much better if they were scaled back to a more reasonable scope so that "The skaven unite" is a huge threat, one that would require a great alliance to fend off, but not a "well too bad, everyone's dead" thing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
wanna see a buddy cop scenario with a eshin assassin and a witch hunter. one is a nefarious rat ninja addicted to glowing space rocks. the other is a religious zealot who burns children for having too many freckles. together, they murder authors.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kaza42 posted:

This is always a thing that annoys me in fiction, whether it's the Skaven in fantasy or the Orks in 40k or any of the other million "evil turns on itself" hordes. Having a faction that is completely impossible to stop if they just do Unlikely Thing X (typically unite) just serves to cheapen everything else. Yay, the Empire is slowly winning the war against Chaos, using technology and a steadily advancing civilization to drive back the night. Shame about the seventy kajillion rats under their feet who could destroy everything in five minutes if they felt like it. Oh, a desperate last-ditch effort by Men and Dwarfs stemmed a ferocious greenskin invasion? That's nice, did I mention that there's now NINETY kajillion rats under the world who could kill you all if they felt like it? It makes every threat that isn't the Skaven worthless, and destroys any tension or value from the actions of the heroic factions/people. While individual Skaven are a fun idea, the Skaven Race as a whole is just the worst thing in Warhammer. They would work much better if they were scaled back to a more reasonable scope so that "The skaven unite" is a huge threat, one that would require a great alliance to fend off, but not a "well too bad, everyone's dead" thing.

Tyranids are the same issue in 40k I think. It's pretty annoying.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's really boring and demonstrates a profound ignorance of military operations (the idea that sheer numbers alone is a meaningful quantifier of military strength) which is annoyingly endemic in war focused fantasy works but kind of embarrassing for a tabletop war game.

end times had a lot of battles and stuff hand waved in lieu of authors trying to come up with ever more EPIC ways to describe "they won because there was SO MANY baddies, you have no idea!!"

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 20, 2017

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Kaza42 posted:

Having a faction that is completely impossible to stop if they just do Unlikely Thing X (typically unite) just serves to cheapen everything else.

This trope goes back at least 2500 years. Oh, the thracians/celts/whichever barbarians would totally take over the whole world if they stopped drinking, fornicating and fighting each other, silly primitives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazyrazor
Apr 10, 2006
Could out fury the president

Kaza42 posted:

While individual Skaven are a fun idea, the Skaven Race as a whole is just the worst thing in Warhammer.

this is a really bad (wrong) opinion for a person to have fyi

• Locked thread