Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

This is extremely my poo poo, and the man to bring TSZ together with his "embrace annihilation" platform.

The Little Kielbasa has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

anime was right posted:

theres probably some company in china that makes CRTs to maintain old equipment. its pretty standard for some company to fill the demands for outdated parts.

but yeah thats probably an old rear end tv he got from some dude's attic lol

They sold off their operation to another Chinese company that couldn't figure out the tolerances so CRT production is over.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Sixers go through instantaneously regardless of who requests them. Anything longer has to get reviewed, regardless of whether it's a mod or IK requesting it.

If you ever need to go fishmech nuclear on the suck zone I stand ready.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

anime was right posted:

this is exactly what it was

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

i'm afraid i've been cucked

Sometimes you can just change the .gifv to .gif and it'll work. Sometimes not though. Good try though!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Sixers go through instantaneously regardless of who requests them. Anything longer has to get reviewed, regardless of whether it's a mod or IK requesting it.

:tipshat:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

anime was right posted:

As recently as last year, I still had an old CRT lying around. Finally got rid of it when I left Albany, which fortunately offered free electronics recycling.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

zegermans posted:

Who's gonna play Clinton in the movie

heath ledger would be good but he died

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Captain_Maclaine posted:

As recently as last year, I still had an old CRT lying around. Finally got rid of it when I left Albany, which fortunately offered free electronics recycling.

bad move, crts can get some decent money on ebay

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Election night was kind of like vomiting because it it was mounting, queasy dread that felt loving terrible as it happened but then things were better. I mean, in the forums, not in our country.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

theres probably some company in china that makes CRTs to maintain old equipment. its pretty standard for some company to fill the demands for outdated parts.

That's the funny thing -- there's still a crucial part of assembly that requires manual labor between the electron gun and the tube itself:

quote:

...When the last major manufacturer stopped making CRTs, they sold the manufacturing equipment to a Chinese company that couldn’t properly reproduce the winding procedure. “Turns out that’s a semi-manual process,” says Ware. “You have to wind the CRT bulbs by hand, so they stopped making them. I have an engineer on staff that couldn’t do it. I couldn’t do it. It’s almost an art form.”

Winding together a CRT tube with its electron gun (the two major components in a CRT) requires a delicate touch. It’s a two-part, by-hand procedure that begins with the laborer painting the inside of the tube as it spins on a centrifuge. The worker must use a dipstick-like brush to coat the depths of the monitor with a conductive substance. Then he must merge the glass of the bulb and the electron gun under a flame that burns at 400 degrees celsius. Any debris or dust that gets into the unit at that point will shorten the display’s life expectancy.

Because the process is so difficult, it’s unlikely that anyone will pick up the mantel just to serve a small community of classic-arcade enthusiasts. More likely, niche repair companies will begin charging more and more money to fix the older CRT bulbs...

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Election night was kind of like vomiting because it it was mounting, queasy dread that felt loving terrible as it happened but then things were better. I mean, in the forums, not in our country.

I loved the desperate donations that people did to keep their precious forums accounts lol

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm pretty sure I still have a CRT somewhere

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Shear Modulus posted:

since the election i've been extremely let down the republican civil war i was assured was just around the corner

never trust anyone who insists that the Republicans Are Going to Destroy Themselves Any Day Now

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Concerned Citizen posted:

bad move, crts can get some decent money on ebay

It barely worked anymore. Like, the top fifth of the screen had horizontal lines.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I remember when my 21" trinitron was the biggest most amazing monitor ever

I now have a 4k 30" with g-sync.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I met Keith Ellison on election night and I have zero recollection of it because this was like two hours after Trump had it sealed and I was drinking myself into oblivion.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zegermans posted:

that moment when you bumped your resolution from 800x600 to 1200x768 and changed everything

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

loving crt chat so far

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

that moment when you bumped your resolution from 800x600 to 1200x768 and changed everything

My Inspiron 8100 laptop could play Jedi Knight II at 1600x1200 :cool:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
turns out everyone on sa forums is a crt expert, strange but true

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

One time I was at a game tournament at the gaylord texan in Dallas and I had to carry that monitor from my room to the convention center and my elbows hurt from the strain for the next two days.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Viewsonic ftw

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

one time i brought my printer over to this girls house who i had a crush on so she could print something

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Karl Barks posted:

one time i brought my printer over to this girls house who i had a crush on so she could print something

nice

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
one time i had sex :twisted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bad dems don't know that people still own box TVs

My parents still have a big rear end crt in their bedroom. It's awesome and plays DVDs and VHS

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

zegermans posted:

Many years ago I helped my friends move their gigantic trinitron TV and it easily weighed 200 lbs. A few years later when they moved again I was mid chemo but I was still the strongest guy they know - which is incredibly sad - and I told them they needed to craigslist that monster. They had to give it away for free because no one was interested in paying for it. A year or two after that I remember seeing a free massive CRT TV on the sidewalk like three steps away from some guy's apartment because thats where he just gave up on moving it.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

That's the funny thing -- there's still a crucial part of assembly that requires manual labor between the electron gun and the tube itself:

Artisanal, bespoke CRTs are absolutely going to become a future trend.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Late gen stuff is usually really good. Look at Bernard Sanders.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bernies crisp picture

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Not a Step posted:

Many years ago I helped my friends move their gigantic trinitron TV and it easily weighed 200 lbs. A few years later when they moved again I was mid chemo but I was still the strongest guy they know - which is incredibly sad - and I told them they needed to craigslist that monster. They had to give it away for free because no one was interested in paying for it. A year or two after that I remember seeing a free massive CRT TV on the sidewalk like three steps away from some guy's apartment because thats where he just gave up on moving it.

I helped my friend move one of those into his basement a few years back, he doesn't live there anymore but I think it's still there. They've just accepted it as a permanent part of the house, it's probably covered with a drape and has plants sitting on it or something.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

one time i had sex :twisted:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

One time I was at a game tournament at the gaylord texan in Dallas and I had to carry that monitor from my room to the convention center and my elbows hurt from the strain for the next two days.

Depending on when this was, I was probably at the same quake-con as you. Did you later get kicked out of a hotel room party by gaylord texan security (cause I did).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i guarantee you that as soon as the demand for CRTs starts to outgrow the supply of available ones to repair, someone will find a way to make them possible again. it will be loving expensive, mind you, but you can still find them in thrift shops and stuff.

that or someone will invent a really great way of making pretend-CRTs.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Karl Barks posted:

lol i lived in the same town as that guy.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm going to stick a flat screen monitor in an oversized case and sell it for 4x the price.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

economic policy matters

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/america-is-regressing-into-a-developing-nation-for-most-people

quote:

In one of these countries live members of what Temin calls the “FTE sector” (named for finance, technology, and electronics, the industries which largely support its growth). These are the 20 percent of Americans who enjoy college educations, have good jobs, and sleep soundly knowing that they have not only enough money to meet life’s challenges, but also social networks to bolster their success. They grow up with parents who read books to them, tutors to help with homework, and plenty of stimulating things to do and places to go. They travel in planes and drive new cars. The citizens of this country see economic growth all around them and exciting possibilities for the future. They make plans, influence policies, and count themselves as lucky to be Americans.

The FTE citizens rarely visit the country where the other 80 percent of Americans live: the low-wage sector. Here, the world of possibility is shrinking, often dramatically. People are burdened with debt and anxious about their insecure jobs if they have a job at all. Many of them are getting sicker and dying younger than they used to. They get around by crumbling public transport and cars they have trouble paying for. Family life is uncertain here; people often don’t partner for the long-term even when they have children. If they go to college, they finance it by going heavily into debt. They are not thinking about the future; they are focused on surviving the present. The world in which they reside is very different from the one they were taught to believe in. While members of the first country act, these people are acted upon.

quote:

We’ve been digging ourselves into a hole for over forty years, but Temin says that we know how to stop digging. If we spent more on domestic rather than military activities, then the middle class would not vanish as quickly. The effects of technological change and globalization could be altered by political actions. We could restore and expand education, shifting resources from policies like mass incarceration to improving the human and social capital of all Americans. We could upgrade infrastructure, forgive mortgage and educational debt in the low-wage sector, reject the notion that private entities should replace democratic government in directing society, and focus on embracing an integrated American population. We could tax not only the income of the rich, but also their capital.

The cost of not doing these things, Temin warns, is incalculably high, and even the rich will end up paying for it.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

one time i was w/ a girl n i got a boner n didnt want her to know so i crawled on the floor while pretneding to be a cat

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

we're probably only a little ways away from someone selling faux-CRTs that are just flat screens with bulky CRT-looking wood-paneled back parts to hipsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Politicians should be forced to spend a year living in inner-city Detroit/Baltimore/St Louis/Kansas City etc. with a min. wage salary before running for office.

• Locked thread