Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I'm still waiting for Jenna's 3rd and final segment for the real action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

:perfect:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

KingShibby posted:

lmbo

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Cygni posted:

I honestly hopes he enjoys the less stuffy environment in IndyCar. I'm sure everybody will be going out of their way to make sure he has a good time.
Robin Miller joked on last week's Pruett podcast that he wants to take Alonso to Rusty's BBQ this weekend. Indigestion time here we come!

KingShibby posted:

:boom:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

Robin Miller joked on last week's Pruett podcast that he wants to take Alonso to Rusty's BBQ this weekend. Indigestion time here we come!

He's totally gonna take Alonso to the Mug N Bun in May.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

IOwnCalculus posted:

He's totally gonna take Alonso to the Mug N Bun in May.

Even more reason for me to spend too much time at Mug N Bun!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pvt. Public posted:

Even more reason for me to spend too much time at Mug N Bun!

See, I don't understand this statement, because that implies it's possible to spend "too much time" there.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm so stoked for Nando to be racing in the 500 I'm getting tickets.

You guys recommend general admin for my first live indy race?

Where and what should I eat?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

See, I don't understand this statement, because that implies it's possible to spend "too much time" there.

Once they legalize :420: in Indiana the Mug n' Bun will see all time record sales. God drat sweet potato fries & root beer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What brand of root beer do they have there?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Also what kinda sauce do they pair with those sweet potato fries.? This is important

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

What brand of root beer do they have there?

Their own brand of root beer :getin:

Norns posted:

Also what kinda sauce do they pair with those sweet potato fries.? This is important

I didn't realize people used sauce on sweet potato fries :iiam:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Mug-n-Bun is trash. That's my hot take.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

KingShibby posted:

I didn't realize people used sauce on sweet potato fries :iiam:

When you live adjacent to Utah pretty much everything comes with fry sauce

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

KingShibby posted:

Of all the things, this is what has finally convinced me. I need to go to Indy already.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

For what to eat, get a tenderloin sandwich anywhere but food trucks in or outsidse the track and Mug-n-Bun. Those are trash.

Pro tenderloin can be found here: https://www.yelp.com/biz/broadway-diner-fortville

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 20, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The track-run foodstands do make a mean tenderloin, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

Mug-n-Bun is trash. That's my hot take.

Did you consult your 13-year-old for that information?

WindyMan posted:

Of all the things, this is what has finally convinced me. I need to go to Indy already.

:perfect:

It is so goddamn good. It's pretty much the only full-sugar soda I drink all year.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did you consult your 13-year-old for that information?

I was 13 years old when I came up with that information. :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

I was 13 years old when I came up with that information. :colbert:

Yeah, well... it's the best trash.

An apt description for Indycar as well.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Latest Pruett podcast has Marshall going on a rant about spec racing and "what if the nba did that" attempt to compare apples and oranges.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
http://www.gazettes.com/news/so-moved-formula-or-indycar-long-beach-signs-race-study/article_6049e802-2477-11e7-8a21-2fd793b41e64.html

The City of Long Beach is commissioning a study to see if they should bring in F1 or stick with Indycar after the current deal with Indycar expires in 2018.

Dear Long Beach, let me save you some money: Don't bring in F1.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The reason why I haven't been back is I went there a few years ago around the Indy GP. Parking lot and dining area were about 2/3 full, so not a bad crowd and not overbearing for the staff. I was sitting with my now-wife-then-girlfriend outside sharing a table with a family of four and another family of four across the dining area seated after our table got their drinks before any of us did. I asked the server when we would get our drinks and she said in a panicked voice, "oh, we serve bigger groups first because it's easier." All six of us were amazed at that excuse.

We got our drinks and our food came in to-go bags at the same time even though we didn't ask for take out--felt like the staff wanted us to go away. poo poo service and bad excuses are why Mug-n-Bun is poop.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Norns posted:

I'm so stoked for Nando to be racing in the 500 I'm getting tickets.

You guys recommend general admin for my first live indy race?

Where and what should I eat?

I think having a seat in the grandstand is probably a better way to go.

Somebody posted this earlier:

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I sat in Upper H Stand, Sec 22, Row Z last year, and was quite happy. It was too far away to see the pole, but the view of turn 4 and the pit entrance was excellent. I just did a search for Upper H Stand, and came up with Sec 24, Row Y (approximate view - the fence is closer in reality), which is even further from the pole, but would compensate with a better view of the turn 4 entrance.

Tip: If at all possible, get a seat close to the aisle (at least in regards to H Stand, numbers closer to 1 - sections there are paired, with each one being 15 seats long). The bleachers are crammed like sardines. Also, absolutely wear sun protection, hearing protection (unless you're half-deaf already), and bring or rent a cushion. Plenty of water too. A covered seat is far preferable, if you can find one. In fact, I also did a search for C Stand, and found some covered, high row seats (approximate view). Better pit viewing than H Stand for sure, though I personally prefer seeing the turns up close.

I've only been once, so you'll need ask/look around for info not about turn 4 or the front straight. Try futzing around with that 3D viewer, this guide, and the available tickets until you find a sweet spot.

And don't forget about parking. You can buy a pass, though be warned that the closer to the lots you get, the worse the traffic is. If you want to park quicker, there's a good amount of unofficial parking available (people's front yards), at similar prices to the official parking.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Dear Long Beach, let me save you some money: Don't bring in F1.

Don't they rattle this around every goddamn time the contract is almost up?

On IMS seating: The only seats I've ever had that I didn't love were up way high, about midway between the exit of 4 and the start/finish line. There wasn't really a good view of either the exit of 4 or the entry to 1 so you didn't get to see that much actual track action. Good view of the pits, though.

The second "worst" was up high in the 1-2 short chute, only because there is absolutely zero cover and it was one of the hottest 500s I've ever been to. It's not Arizona, but you're still going to be in that seat for a long time - shaded seats are by far the best. My ideal seat is as close to the entry of 1 as possible. In the lower grandstands, up as high as you can get before the upper deck obstructs your view.

Best seats are probably the E Penthouse, but good luck ever getting your hands on those tickets for raceday. I managed to get into those for the Freedom 100 one year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1klmtsWQA

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't they rattle this around every goddamn time the contract is almost up?

Yeah, Chris Pook constantly tries to get the city to cough up $150m+ of public funds to him to run an F1 race. He's essentially angling for the sports arena cashgrab model.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Long Beach is probably one of the only ICS tracks that F1 could run at without ruining, but it's still a dumb idea.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

Long Beach is probably one of the only ICS tracks that F1 could run at without ruining, but it's still a dumb idea.

Never underestimate FIA's ability to ruin a once good thing.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

iospace posted:

Never underestimate FIA's ability to ruin a once good thing.

Long Beach is good?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

Long Beach doesn't have enough hairpins for F1.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Basticle posted:

Long Beach is good?

yes?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Backstretch needs to be 2 miles longer and needs more awkwardly flowing corners.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Long Beach is one of the better street circuits.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Minto Took posted:

Long Beach is one of the better street circuits.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Long Beach owns in Project Gotham 2.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

I was literally behind the camera that took the finish line shot on the third floor of the pagoda :smug:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/139737-mclaren-boss-sets-criteria-for-future-indycar-move

Zak Brown posted:

Brown outlined the vetting process that will be used to make a final decision on whether McLaren will assemble a team to take on the likes of Team Penske, Chip Ganassi Racing, Andretti Autosport and other front-running IndyCar programs.

"We have three criteria: One, we need to make sure we can be competitive; two, that it's commercially viable, and three, it fits out brand," he said. "I think the Indy 500 ticks all those boxes, and I think IndyCar ultimately ticks all those boxes. We're a fan of IndyCar; we think it's a great form of motorsport. We've done it before. And if we can tick all three of those boxes, in the future, IndyCar would definitely be something we would consider."

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sounds like it's practically a lock, just needs sponsor money I suppose.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Best seats are probably the E Penthouse, but good luck ever getting your hands on those tickets for raceday.

The rights to E Penthouse (and to a lesser extent, the vista decks) tickets are passed down within families. You have almost no chance of getting them without working your way into the will of someone who already has them.

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm pretty sure the current wide F1 cars wouldn't fit round the LB hairpin.

• Locked thread