Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Are there any good armband cases that fit an HTC 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Are there any good armband cases that fit an HTC 10?

Yes

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
What is the thread's opinion on the Moto Z Play? I just want a cheap phone with usb-c that can keep chugging until the Pixel 2. From what I can gather, it's not a bad phone and it has stupidly long battery life.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

logikv9 posted:

What is the thread's opinion on the Moto Z Play? I just want a cheap phone with usb-c that can keep chugging until the Pixel 2. From what I can gather, it's not a bad phone and it has stupidly long battery life.

Also Yes

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

logikv9 posted:

I'd say if USB C, cost, and battery life are your big things, that's the way to go. If you can deal with lesser battery life, the Nexus 6P is probably available used for less.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sleepwalkers posted:

If you can deal with lesser battery life, the Nexus 6P is probably available used for less.

No

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, people should not post if they can't figure out how to not drag the thread into another idiotic derailing fight about something nerds care about.

I always try to just talk to people instead of throwing out probations or whatever, but if you guys would rather I didnt...

I'm cool with this if it means probations next time the thread has a derail about : SD cards, removable batteries, OnePlus, the quality of Samsung software, or smartwatches. :colbert:
That'd probably kill the thread, honestly.

e: had a mental lapse, thanks for preventing the double post.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
My S8+ got delivered to work and I'll have to wait until I get home to set it up but it came with a normal SIM card and I'm pretty sure the phone uses a nano SIM and I told them I was an existing AT&T customer and I still have the nano SIM from my nexus 6P so I don't know what they expect me to do with it

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

sleepwalkers posted:

I'd say if USB C, cost, and battery life are your big things, that's the way to go. If you can deal with lesser battery life, the Nexus 6P is probably available used for less.

That's what I already have and the battery is awful. Also the 810 is a hand-heating battery-consuming beast that throttles too quickly.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

logikv9 posted:

That's what I already have and the battery is awful. Also the 810 is a hand-heating battery-consuming beast that throttles too quickly.

Then... I guess if you want to spend $400 on a phone you know you're going to ditch shortly, sure?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

My S8+ got delivered to work and I'll have to wait until I get home to set it up but it came with a normal SIM card and I'm pretty sure the phone uses a nano SIM and I told them I was an existing AT&T customer and I still have the nano SIM from my nexus 6P so I don't know what they expect me to do with it
If your AT&T SIM is still active, just throw it into the S8.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The 810 does get hot, but the phone is able to handle it just fine unless you do some major gaming or something is running in the background at full tilt eating up power/cpu for no reason.

Also are you on a dying one with the battery shutoff issue happening > 5-20%? That is in need of an RMA at that point if you got it from google at least.

Also if you haven't ventured outside of Official Google update land, the Pure Nexus rom will make your phone into 90% Pixel XL without breaking anything. (Even Android Pay works as the rom doesn't come Pre Rooted). It makes the phone feel like a new phone of sorts and is worth checking out. It is not some rando super custom garbage rom that seems to be the stigma on this forum from XDA.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

sleepwalkers posted:

Then... I guess if you want to spend $400 on a phone you know you're going to ditch shortly, sure?

Only $300 on Swappa! Not too bad.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

EdEddnEddy posted:

The 810 does get hot, but the phone is able to handle it just fine unless you do some major gaming or something is running in the background at full tilt eating up power/cpu for no reason.

Also are you on a dying one with the battery shutoff issue happening > 5-20%? That is in need of an RMA at that point if you got it from google at least.

Also if you haven't ventured outside of Official Google update land, the Pure Nexus rom will make your phone into 90% Pixel XL without breaking anything. (Even Android Pay works as the rom doesn't come Pre Rooted). It makes the phone feel like a new phone of sorts and is worth checking out. It is not some rando super custom garbage rom that seems to be the stigma on this forum from XDA.

I got the 6P from Swappa too, so no replacements unfortunately.

I'll look into the ROM, I ditched the rooting / flashing thing a long time ago when I realized it was a massive hassle. But I'm sure things have matured since then

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah its still active, which is why I'm scratching my head as to why they gave me a new one, and in the wrong size at that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

logikv9 posted:

I got the 6P from Swappa too, so no replacements unfortunately.

I'll look into the ROM, I ditched the rooting / flashing thing a long time ago when I realized it was a massive hassle. But I'm sure things have matured since then

Being a Nexus it made flashing roms stupid easy, and you also had the best platform to have custom roms made without having to do retarded stupid hacks to get certain drivers working for this and that.

However plenty of just overloaded BS roms are made, Pure Nexus is literally the cleanest one I have found that improves on stock Google stuff just enough in every way.

If you have any questions or need any assistance just let me know.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

logikv9 posted:

. But I'm sure things have matured since then

Oh, the optimism.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Yeah its still active, which is why I'm scratching my head as to why they gave me a new one, and in the wrong size at that.
Seems to be standard practice if you buy a carrier version of anything. I can't think of the last phone I got that didn't come with a SIM since the pre-LTE CDMA days, except maybe my Nexus 6. (I have at least 5 of the things in a drawer at home.) Also, it could be one of the multi-sized SIMs where you can punch out a micro- or nano-SIM from the full size.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just ordered a Moto Z 4/32GB for 249 Euro from a promotion (Saturn/Germany)
That's still a good Android phone, right?

My Nexus 4 is on it's last legs and I was considering the Moto G5 plus today when this showed up in one of my feeds. It may be sold out already, I guess, but I got my order in and should be able to pick it up at a local store tomorrow hopefully. Unless you tell me it's a bad deal.

http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_lenovo-moto-z-2159116.html

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thinking about a phone for my 7 year old to keep so that I can use an app to track her location. We're getting ready to go on a long vacation and I want to make sure we can keep track of her.

I'm thinking maybe the BLU R1 HD as long as the GPS works fine. Anyone have any experience with it and have anything to say? Any other devices I should look at?

I know there's purpose-made GPS trackers for kids, but AFAICT they're all pieces of poo poo.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

My SIM looked like it was a huge SIM, but then the plastic piece popped out. Then it popped out again into a smaller piece. That was still too big when I tried to stick it into my phone, so I tried pressing on the small contact itself. Yes, it also popped out. loving 3 layers deep.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Just got my S8 I haven't had a new phone in like 4 loving years. Do I still to let the phone die then charge it back to 100%?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nalin posted:

My SIM looked like it was a huge SIM, but then the plastic piece popped out. Then it popped out again into a smaller piece. That was still too big when I tried to stick it into my phone, so I tried pressing on the small contact itself. Yes, it also popped out. loving 3 layers deep.

Progress

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Going to be getting rid of my Silver Pixel 128gb if anyone is in the market.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Thinking about a phone for my 7 year old to keep so that I can use an app to track her location. We're getting ready to go on a long vacation and I want to make sure we can keep track of her.

I'm thinking maybe the BLU R1 HD as long as the GPS works fine. Anyone have any experience with it and have anything to say? Any other devices I should look at?

I know there's purpose-made GPS trackers for kids, but AFAICT they're all pieces of poo poo.

I haven't used it extensively yet, but its a solid phone in passing. If I think of it tonight I'll throw my SIM into it for tomorrow to test location out.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Winkie01 posted:

Just got my S8 I haven't had a new phone in like 4 loving years. Do I still to let the phone die then charge it back to 100%?

no

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mcbexx posted:

Just ordered a Moto Z 4/32GB for 249 Euro from a promotion (Saturn/Germany)
That's still a good Android phone, right?

My Nexus 4 is on it's last legs and I was considering the Moto G5 plus today when this showed up in one of my feeds. It may be sold out already, I guess, but I got my order in and should be able to pick it up at a local store tomorrow hopefully. Unless you tell me it's a bad deal.

http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_lenovo-moto-z-2159116.html

I have one (well the Verizon version) as my spare phone and it's decent. The Verizon version is on 7.0 with April security patch even.

Not quite as fluid as my pixel, but close. My only real UI gripe is they hard code the thing too low of a icon density for the launcher. I want 5 icons across dammit.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Those are exactly the steps I went through to get my SIM into my phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Winkie01 posted:

Not only no, but you never needed to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing that amuses me about the SIM card progression is why we didn't start at nanoSIM? It's not like there was this magic technological leap here. The actual functional bit is the same size. I would get it if the chip under the contacts used to be bigger, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I do get that phones used to be so big it didn't matter, but the march from mini to micro to nano was just silly. At least one of those should have been eliminated and gone straight to nano.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The thing that amuses me about the SIM card progression is why we didn't start at nanoSIM? It's not like there was this magic technological leap here. The actual functional bit is the same size. I would get it if the chip under the contacts used to be bigger, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I do get that phones used to be so big it didn't matter, but the march from mini to micro to nano was just silly. At least one of those should have been eliminated and gone straight to nano.

Man, no one could have predicted that electronics devices would get smaller!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

Man, no one could have predicted that electronics devices would get smaller!

Actually, smartphones have been trending larger and larger over the last few years
:goonsay:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Actually, smartphones have been trending larger and larger over the last few years
:goonsay:

I can't wait until we end up with briefcase sized mobile devices again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Variable_H posted:

I can't wait until we end up with briefcase sized mobile devices again.

We have laptops with LTE modems, so .... sure?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Woooooooooooooo

e: the fingerprint scanner location is loving brutal holy poo poo it's worse than I expected based on pictures

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yes the finger scanner placement is horrible. The facial recognition though is really fuckin good

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

vyst posted:

Yes the finger scanner placement is horrible. The facial recognition though is really fuckin good

Just make sure no one has any photos of you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Yeah no it's poo poo, it can be fooled by a photograph.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah no it's poo poo, it can be fooled by a photograph.

I don't really care about that I just want preliminary security to unlock my phone that's easier than typing a pin

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Why bother with a security lock that's not secure? Biometric security on phones is a terrible idea in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The iris recognition is actually really good, though, and there's a toggle that sets it so the lock screen automatically runs the iris scan. I recorded my iris in the office and was able to unlock the phone from in the car in a garage. I'd try sunny day but that wasn't gonna happen today.