Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

victrix posted:

I'm putting together a new PC for the first time in basically loving ever. If I'm making any really obvious mistakes, I'd appreciate some guidance, otherwise I'll fire away and smush it together.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($122.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($122.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($374.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.21 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $2022.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-19 19:31 EDT-0400

People already mentioned it, but yeah, get the R5 instead of the R4. For your RAM, make sure to get a matched kit instead of 2 separate RAM purchases. I'd suggest 2x16GB instead and bump it to the cheapeast DDR4 3200 one you can find. For the OS, I'd hit up SA Mart instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Ya the PSU is from my current build, I bought it about four years ago when a lovely microcenter one died on me and it still works fine, but I'll probably replace it in a few months. Same with the SSD, I can always buy another one later or a platter drive, but I wanted to build something that will actually last me as long as I've forced my Phenom II x4 to last except not be in excruciating pain near the end of its life
Power supplies have improved a lot in the last few years, actually. For most people, my suggestion right now is the G3. $90 shipped for a PSU of that caliber is a steal.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817438094
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=500

A few years back, your only option for getting a power supply with that kind of regulation was to shell out big bucks for a top of the line seasonic.

I actually feel like seasonic is falling a little behind the curve right now. Don't get me wrong, they still make some excellent supplies, but their high end niche is being eroded. Also, they don't have any SFX supplies to compete with Corsair and Silverstone.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 20, 2017

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The last time I built a PC was using a Core-2 Duo so bear with me on this. I was looking to build what is essentially PC Part Picker's "good gaming PC" (https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/34hPxr/great-gaming-build), swapping the storage for a single Sandisk 480GB SSD (have some old HDDs that'll do for the moment for more storage) and adding a wireless adapter since I'm not sure I'll be able to run cable for a while.

A friend pointed out they use a micro ATX motherboard in a mid-size case. It looks like I could go to a larger board and find something with integrated wi-fi (+bluetooth would be nice) with only a small bump in price. Is it worth it? The comment on the micro ATX board was "things'll be more cramped" which isn't much of a bother for me. I'm not really going for aesthetics, it'll be under a desk anyways. I checked on the chipset and B250 seems to meet my needs so I don't really want/need to step up to something more expensive.

If I stick with the micro ATX board, is there any reason not to downsize the case itself provided everything still fits? The case they have seems pretty well priced so if it saves the hassle of trying to measure out theoretical millimetres I'm fine sticking with it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Constellation I posted:

People already mentioned it, but yeah, get the R5 instead of the R4. For your RAM, make sure to get a matched kit instead of 2 separate RAM purchases. I'd suggest 2x16GB instead and bump it to the cheapeast DDR4 3200 one you can find. For the OS, I'd hit up SA Mart instead.

Yeah I forgot update after the last post, this is what I wound up ordering. I dumped the OS for a UPS, since I realized I can just drop my current machine and move it over (actually might just migrate the SSD it's on and do a fresh install on the new SSD for that fresh clean new PC smell).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($374.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
UPS: CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD UPS ($149.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $2030.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-20 12:08 EDT-0400

I swapped out the memory and decided to go with a smaller but faster M2 SSD. I was going to get a 2TB Firecuda hybrid for the storage drive for similar speed reasons, but from the research I did online, it was only faster in a few specific areas and I don't have any speed issues with my older 7200 rpms for storage stuff so I figured eh in that case and kept the 3TB.

I wound up doing a bunch of reading on the various 1070 models out there before finally throwing up my hands and sticking with the one I picked semi randomly, since it seemed fine and I'm sure the GPU march will just result in me getting a new one in a year anyway.

For anyone curious about monitors at 2560x1440p/gsync/IPS, there are apparently all of four that fit that bill:

Asus PG279Q ROG Swift $799
Acer XB271HU bmiprz $729
ViewSonic XG2703-GS $669
AOC AG271QG $625

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=106_1~5137_2560x1440~5848_NVIDIA+G-Sync

(the other predator on that list isn't available I guess?)

The ViewSonic and AOC are a year newer, but otherwise they all seem extremely similar.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Filthy Monkey posted:

I actually feel like seasonic is falling a little behind the curve right now. Don't get me wrong, they still make some excellent supplies, but their high end niche is being eroded. Also, they don't have any SFX supplies to compete with Corsair and Silverstone.

It's good that they have competition, but they're still turning out some awesome stuff.

"Before testing these three units, we would not believe that such performance would be possible with a consumer-grade PC PSU." 95% efficient fully loaded at 50C.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Oh, for sure. Their high end stuff is still fantastic. For somebody going all out, those prime titanium units are a great choice. There isn't even a lot of high quality titanium competition out there. It isn't like I am going to pay $150+ for a silverstone unit.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007657%20601115166

For the more average man with a more standard budget though, I think that gold is the way to go, and the quality of the supplies there have really improved a lot in the past few years. This is a quote from the jonnyguru G3 review. It still does give the props to seasonic prime.

quote:

When the only real competition for performance is another unit in the same line or a Seasonic Prime, you're just laughing your way right to the bank at that point. Anything at or near this price had better bring something it doesn't have, like the RGB fan in last week's review unit, or you're pretty much sunk.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 20, 2017

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

victrix posted:

For anyone curious about monitors at 2560x1440p/gsync/IPS, there are apparently all of four that fit that bill:

Asus PG279Q ROG Swift $799
Acer XB271HU bmiprz $729
ViewSonic XG2703-GS $669
AOC AG271QG $625

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=106_1~5137_2560x1440~5848_NVIDIA+G-Sync
If you have a Costco nearby, the Acer XB271HU bmiprz is on clearance for $500.

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Anybody have experience with the Raven? I built my pc in it last summer but honestly when I game I have to run it with the gpu side cover off because it gets too hot and the GPU sounds like a loving leaf blower. I'm considering buying a newer bigger case with those nice cable management features to switch into because my noob rear end also couldn't get the mobo side to close due to lovely cable management.

My real question though is the power supply, the raven uses that weird sfx psu form factor and I'm not sure if that would be compatible with bigger cases? I'm looking to stick to mini itx and the Phantek Enthoo Evolv is probbaly what i'll be upgrading to.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You can mount SFX power supplies in cases which are made for ATX-sized supplies, but you'll need a mounting bracket. The silverstone one is pretty nice, since it adds some extra ventilation. Keep in mind that you might need extension cables if the case is larger and the cables on the PSU are short.
https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-...tone+sfx+to+atx

I use it myself, with a corsair SF600.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 20, 2017

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Oh sweet actually I think my psu came with that. Thanks for the info.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ardlen posted:

Oh poo poo, I do! Thanks for this notice, I'll check both local stores and see if I can grab one, that'd be a steal

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ardlen posted:

I don't have the SKU in front of me, but most Costcos are sold out of this by now and they're not getting any more in. Try calling them first before going on a wild goose chase.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

victrix posted:

I wound up doing a bunch of reading on the various 1070 models out there before finally throwing up my hands and sticking with the one I picked semi randomly, since it seemed fine and I'm sure the GPU march will just result in me getting a new one in a year anyway.

One more suggestion if you can stretch your budget a little bit is to get a 1080 instead, since with the price drops, it's only about a $120 more. I'd then downgrade from the NVMe to a regular-rear end Samsung 850 Evo which covers the price differences between the 2 cards. I doubt you'd feel much of a difference between the two for day-to-day OS stuff.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, realized you already ordered.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

priznat posted:

Yesssss, I had been waiting for this case to arrive.

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-mATX-TemperedGlass.html

Looks very nice. Looking forward to an X299 micro atx motherboard to put in one of these.

That's a lovely looking case. I think I prefer it to the define mini c I've been looking at, but I'm still weirdly drawn to the Thetis.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Hawg11 posted:

Anybody have experience with the Raven? I built my pc in it last summer but honestly when I game I have to run it with the gpu side cover off because it gets too hot and the GPU sounds like a loving leaf blower. I'm considering buying a newer bigger case with those nice cable management features to switch into because my noob rear end also couldn't get the mobo side to close due to lovely cable management.

My real question though is the power supply, the raven uses that weird sfx psu form factor and I'm not sure if that would be compatible with bigger cases? I'm looking to stick to mini itx and the Phantek Enthoo Evolv is probbaly what i'll be upgrading to.

I have the ML08, which is basically identical to the Raven. I ended up cutting 3 holes for 80x80x15mm fans to go in directly above the video card compartment. Overclock.net has a walkthrough, and I did pretty much like same thing, only I used these Noiseblocker fans instead, since they're 4-pin PWM and have modular cables. It worked pretty well. If you have a card with an aftermarket cooler, I highly recommend it.

Also, I too, had trouble getting the side panel on the mobo side back on, but it was doable. Maybe try rerouting cables again?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Constellation I posted:

For the OS, I'd hit up SA Mart instead.

Should we be more focal about the SA Mart or eBay options. Windows 10 license is the biggest waste in any build that has it. You could get pretty nice hardware upgrade for that $130.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are all the 3rd party key marketplaces like kinguin still dumping grounds for keys bought with stolen CCs?
I have bought a few windows keys without issue there for very cheap

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Fauxtool posted:

Are all the 3rd party key marketplaces like kinguin still dumping grounds for keys bought with stolen CCs?
I have bought a few windows keys without issue there for very cheap

Yes, I guess that kind of source can be a bit suspect. The british company that I bought my Win7 license from is prettty much an OEM license wholesaler and they seem to be a computer recycling company. So the license codes probably originate from destroyed business computers and I don't have much moral problem with that.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

I'm looking at replacing the motherboard for my old PC as I suspect that's the main culprit for some of the issues I've been having (USB ports no longer working. Random crashing).

My old board was a ASUSP8Z77-V LX, a 1155 chipset which I'm told is much less common these days. The easiest 1155 board for me to source is a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H , although a friend indicated that it might not work unless my PC was Windows 10 (its currently Win 7). Will that be a problem rr can I go with the Gigabyte?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Is the Samsung 850 Evo still the SSD to get? I bought the one I'm currently using a little over two years ago and its making GBS threads the bed hardcore, and I'm hoping I can get another SSD before it goes entirely.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Luneshot posted:

Is the Samsung 850 Evo still the SSD to get? I bought the one I'm currently using a little over two years ago and its making GBS threads the bed hardcore, and I'm hoping I can get another SSD before it goes entirely.

Yes. The WD Blue and Crucial MX300 are decent too, but honestly you're better off spending $20-30 more at the ~500GB level for the Samsung if you can swing it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I need a new video card since my old one is both starting to die and isn't up to running things on high details on my new(er) 1440 monitor.

What level of video card do I need to get high quality on newer, more demanding games at 60fps at 2560x1440? And are there any good deals for that sort of card floating around right now (for a US buyer)?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zereth posted:

I need a new video card since my old one is both starting to die and isn't up to running things on high details on my new(er) 1440 monitor.

What level of video card do I need to get high quality on newer, more demanding games at 60fps at 2560x1440? And are there any good deals for that sort of card floating around right now (for a US buyer)?

The 1070 is what you want to look at since the 1060 (even the newer one with faster GDDR5) isn't going to be up to that forever. As for pricing, anything's possible, but right now using the Jet.com 15% x 3 promo plus the minor debit card discount is currently and still the cheapest way to get your hands on one for ~$330-360 depending on the cooler and what they've got available. Also, people are firesale-ing their 1080s for ~$430 now since Newegg fire-sold a shitload of brand-new Gigabyte blower and tri-fanned 1080s a while ago and that kind of set the universal sale price for used cards at ~$420 unless they're the top SKUs.

Unfortunately Newegg's selling the very same cards for $490-500 now because everyone *else* is selling their used ones for the aforementioned price. If the "new(er)" monitor we're talking about is the Costco XB271, you're definitely going to want the 1070.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 21, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

it would help to know the cpu and a few games specifically that you are looking at. BF1 for instance has different demands on a system than doom.

Either way a rx480 or 10606gb will probably get recommended at the low end but will probably struggle to just barely hit what you are asking for

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 1070 is what you want to look at since the 1060 (even the newer one with faster GDDR5) isn't going to be up to that forever. As for pricing, anything's possible, but right now using the Jet.com 15% x 3 promo plus the minor debit card discount is currently and still the cheapest way to get your hands on one for ~$330-360 depending on the cooler and what they've got available. Also, people are firesale-ing their 1080s for ~$430 now since Newegg fire-sold a shitload of brand-new Gigabyte blower and tri-fanned 1080s a while ago and that kind of set the universal sale price for used cards at ~$420 unless they're the top SKUs.

Unfortunately Newegg's selling the very same cards for $490-500 now because everyone *else* is selling their used ones for the aforementioned price. If the "new(er)" monitor we're talking about is the Costco XB271, you're definitely going to want the 1070.
I had to abruptly replace my monitor sometime this winter so 60fps is the highest it goes. I'm not sure of the exact model, it's a dell something. The monitor isn't new, it's just newer than the card.

Fauxtool posted:

it would help to know the cpu and a few games specifically that you are looking at. BF1 for instance has different demands on a system than doom.

Either way a rx480 or 10606gb will probably get recommended at the low end but will probably struggle to just barely hit what you are asking for
Oh, right. I've got a, uh, i5-4690 3.5ghz according to windows. And I was looking at things like Dishonored 2, upcoming FF14 Stormblood, and I can't think of a third example right now.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Eyespy posted:

I'm looking at replacing the motherboard for my old PC as I suspect that's the main culprit for some of the issues I've been having (USB ports no longer working. Random crashing).

My old board was a ASUSP8Z77-V LX, a 1155 chipset which I'm told is much less common these days. The easiest 1155 board for me to source is a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H , although a friend indicated that it might not work unless my PC was Windows 10 (its currently Win 7). Will that be a problem rr can I go with the Gigabyte?

Did your friend elaborate on why he said that? It's from the same era as your board and should work fine with Windows 7, as far as I know.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you should be able to hit 60 just barely in those specific games with the 1060 6gb but you really should get the 1070. Its about the same performance/dollar so you wont get diminishing returns for spending more and it doesnt limit you to getting 60fps in just those 2 titles.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

you should be able to hit 60 just barely in those specific games with the 1060 6gb but you really should get the 1070. Its about the same performance/dollar so you wont get diminishing returns for spending more and it doesnt limit you to getting 60fps in just those 2 titles.
Okay, thanks. I'm a bit tired so I realized the other thing I should have listed is "anything I buy in the next year or so that isn't a terribly optimized piece of poo poo or computer-destorying monster", so sounds like I want a 1070.

Is ASUS a reputable manufacturer of videocards? https://jet.com/product/Asus-DUAL-GTX1070-O8G-GeForce-GTX-1070-Graphic-Card-158-GHz-Core-177-GHz-Boost-C/7ee0a71ec32f4dac849a01ec645d1a23 is the cheapest 1070 I can find on jet.com.

EDIT: Well, other than one which looks like it's half the length of a normal videocard.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Newegg's ebay store has one for $330 that I am about to pull the trigger on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-GeForce-GTX-1070-DirectX-12-ZT-P10700I-10P-8GB-256-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3/292041166887

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Eletriarnation posted:

Did your friend elaborate on why he said that? It's from the same era as your board and should work fine with Windows 7, as far as I know.

Only that it might not boot without a current install and might require a reinstall. She also mentioned setting the SATA mode to AHCI.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dont get the mini unless its all you can fit, its not as fast. Assuming you are in the US ASUS is fine as long as you dont buy the cheapest blower card. MSI and EVGA are the other good options. EVGA for warranty and support. Dont forget the mail in rebate on it

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bear in mind the big downside to ZOTAC is that while they do have *offices* in the US, any RMA you submit goes to *CHINA* and can take upwards of a month to complete the cycle. There's a reason that one is $330 and the others are $350-370.

Here's info from the Build-A-PC subreddit about an ASUS for roughly the same price after rebate: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/66l9yu/gpu_asus_dualgtx1070o8g_geforce_gtx_1070_graphic/

Whenever I buy something from Jet I've never elected for the 'no free return' discount. It's not worth the extra few dollars.

Here's the GPU offers at present so I don't link you several at once: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=GPU&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&feature=legacy_search

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 21, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Eyespy posted:

Only that it might not boot without a current install and might require a reinstall. She also mentioned setting the SATA mode to AHCI.

Well, that's true - the Windows license is tied to the motherboard, and if you have an OEM license it will probably not reactivate on a different board. If it's retail though you should be able to transfer it.

You should set the SATA mode to AHCI if you're reinstalling and whatever it is on your current board if not. Switching modes will result in being unable to boot an existing install at least without some involved recovery, but AHCI is superior performance-wise. Otherwise your existing installation of Windows 7 should transfer to another board of the same generation just fine, although you may need to install drivers for any new integrated controllers like sound or LAN.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 21, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

Dont get the mini unless its all you can fit, its not as fast. Assuming you are in the US ASUS is fine as long as you dont buy the cheapest blower card. MSI and EVGA are the other good options. EVGA for warranty and support. Dont forget the mail in rebate on it

"Cheapest blower card"?

EDIT: Is that referring to the cooling fan? I don't know how to evaluate those.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 21, 2017

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Found an MSI 1070 open box at microcenter for $339 :sax:

I think that means I won't get a free copy of GHOST RECON WILDLANDS but I can survive without it I'm p sure

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Well, that's true - the Windows license is tied to the motherboard, and if you have an OEM license it will probably not reactivate on a different board. If it's retail though you should be able to transfer it.

You should set the SATA mode to AHCI if you're reinstalling and whatever it is on your current board if not. Switching modes will result in being unable to boot an existing install at least without some involved recovery, but AHCI is superior performance-wise. Otherwise your existing installation of Windows 7 should transfer to another board of the same generation just fine, although you may need to install drivers for any new integrated controllers like sound or LAN.

Its a retail copy, so no problems there. Although I don;t have a functioning DVD drive either so hopefully all I'll need is the serial no.

Thanks for the assist.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bear in mind the big downside to ZOTAC is that while they do have *offices* in the US, any RMA you submit goes to *CHINA* and can take upwards of a month to complete the cycle. There's a reason that one is $330 and the others are $350-370.

Here's info from the Build-A-PC subreddit about an ASUS for roughly the same price after rebate: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/66l9yu/gpu_asus_dualgtx1070o8g_geforce_gtx_1070_graphic/

This was A Good Post and had some stuff I did not know, thanks!

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

The most important detail of that case is how to manage the GPU being razor close to a standard ATX PSU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiDZNT7mxLQ
For the PSU, I would suggest the EVGA G3 or Corsair RMx. If you are going the SFX route, a Corsair SF450/SF600.

Just starting to put together my build. The SF600 24-pin connector is insanely short and I'm worried that i'll need a new one if I ever upgrade my graphics card. Did you run into this? or am I completely missing something with my cable routing? Also, saw a video about the m2 shield being installed causing higher heat -- are you using an m.2 SSD?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You'll need extensions for the 24-pin ATX and 8-pin CPU power cables.

I am using a M.2 SSD. Not sure about the m.2 heatsink/shield thing on there. Mine is attached, but you might be right that leaving it off is better.

The extra room added by the SFX power supply gives the PSU enough room to breathe, and the silverstone bracket adds some extra venting. Helps avoid choking the GPU. Here is what mine looks like. I am using a giant baby-head cooler, the NH-D15.
https://i.imgur.com/7y5XJfn.jpg

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Where did you get your extensions? I was hoping to go to microcenter but it doesn't look like they have any.