Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Have to admit, part me is disappointed that this line probably cuts into the amount of regular books DC will probably have for Wave 3 of Rebirth.

Roth fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jeez, there's not a single premise or creative team that interests me at all in that announcement.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Who wants to take bets on what gets cancelled first?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Who wants to take bets on what gets cancelled first?

I'm not going to go back a page to look, but whichever one Dan Didio is writing.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Too close to call with Silencer, Sideways, and Damage. I would say Immortal Men is in the same boat, but there are people out there who inexplicably love Jim Lee's art, so who knows. I don't see the other three selling based on the strength of their creative teams, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey BrianWilly, please explain to me what's going on in Odyssey of the Amazons because someone just told me that it retconned the Amazons into being a mixture of Greek and Norse mythology and that sounds pretty weird and dumb.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Uhh so basically, the premise of this book is that the Amazon Hessia (she appeared in the New 52) has been going around the ancient world gathering up women who for some reason happen to be born ageless and good at fighting, and recruiting them into being actual Amazons. We didn't really know at the time why there were these immortal warrior women all over the world, but in this issue we learn that instead of just the Olympian goddesses having created just one little country of Amazons in Greece, it turns out every group of goddess from every big pantheon in ancient times worked together to create their own posse of immortal warrior women in order to eventually fight some celestial threat that hasn't happened yet. So we have the Amazons from Greece, and the Valkyries of Norse mythology are apparently also "Amazons." And...that's kinda the only two big groups we've seen so far or will probably see before the series ends in two issues. :v:

I dunno if it's dumb, but it's definitely weird. It feels like slapping in an explanation for a question no one was asking. I understand the grand sisterly harmony thing that it's trying to pull off, but there are tons of ancient mythologies who just flat-out didn't have castes of warrior women for no reason other than the fact that they just didn't have them, and reimagining every warrior woman they did have as "Amazons" just feels like forcing a square peg into a round hole. Also please ignore that Valkyries are dedicated to Odin and not Frigga, even in this story, soooo yeah I dunno.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Uhh so basically, the premise of this book is that the Amazon Hessia (she appeared in the New 52) has been going around the ancient world gathering up women who for some reason happen to be born ageless and good at fighting, and recruiting them into being actual Amazons. We didn't really know at the time why there were these immortal warrior women all over the world, but in this issue we learn that instead of just the Olympian goddesses having created just one little country of Amazons in Greece, it turns out every group of goddess from every big pantheon in ancient times worked together to create their own posse of immortal warrior women in order to eventually fight some celestial threat that hasn't happened yet. So we have the Amazons from Greece, and the Valkyries of Norse mythology are apparently also "Amazons." And...that's kinda the only two big groups we've seen so far or will probably see before the series ends in two issues. :v:

I dunno if it's dumb, but it's definitely weird. It feels like slapping in an explanation for a question no one was asking. I understand the grand sisterly harmony thing that it's trying to pull off, but there are tons of ancient mythologies who just flat-out didn't have castes of warrior women for no reason other than the fact that they just didn't have them, and reimagining every warrior woman they did have as "Amazons" just feels like forcing a square peg into a round hole. Also please ignore that Valkyries are dedicated to Odin and not Frigga, even in this story, soooo yeah I dunno.

That gave me a headache. This is what we lost Renae De Liz over? Dammit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

X-O posted:

That gave me a headache.
Well, I tend to have that effect on people.

The lore itself is honestly not that dismal. The story and writing itself is what's losing me here. The premise makes it sound like a group of kickass women are traveling across the globe, having adventures and seeking out others of their kind in glorious solidarity...but in fact, the cast has been stuck in Norway for the past three issues because they need to rescue their younger members from Jotuns who are forcing these young Amazons to give birth to hybrid Amazon-Jotuns so they can defeat the gods during Ragnarok.

Yes, that means exactly what it means. Yes, it's exactly how it sounds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess I just don't understand forcing some Norse connection at all. And it's not because Marvel has some kind of stamp on that for comics or anything silly like that, it's because the Amazons being a wholly Greek thing just feels right. I don't need to mix up Norse stuff with it. And now you're throwing in Ragnarok and Jotuns too? And I don't even want to think about the story implications of forced Amazon/Jotun hybrids because why? I mean what is the point of this story exactly?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It sounds like one of those projects where the premise is more promising and probably needs a better talent to see it through.
I kind of like the idea of someone having adventures through different mythologies/pantheons, and the idea of Amazonians rocking out with Valkyries and other warrior women should be kick rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

That gave me a headache. This is what we lost Renae De Liz over? Dammit.

I thought we lost her over her husband/partner being a douchebag?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

One of the most low-key interesting things about the DCU is how thiest it is. Basically, every belief is or can be actualised.

I'm assuming this guy hasn't, but someone could definitely do interesting things mixing that all up.

Edit: apparently theist isn't the right word, but you know what I mean.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 21, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Well, he was being a douche about this specific story, if I recall right. So really, how can we blame him?

X-O posted:

I guess I just don't understand forcing some Norse connection at all. And it's not because Marvel has some kind of stamp on that for comics or anything silly like that, it's because the Amazons being a wholly Greek thing just feels right. I don't need to mix up Norse stuff with it. And now you're throwing in Ragnarok and Jotuns too? And I don't even want to think about the story implications of forced Amazon/Jotun hybrids because why? I mean what is the point of this story exactly?
Oh yeah it's 100% forced. There's a sort of elegant simplicity to having the Amazons just be one group of people, created by one group of gods, for the purposes of combating one single threat. Having every single female social group in the world be Amazons, because every single mother goddess got together for some global Amazon experiment...it's just too macro. And the more macro you go the more forced these things become.

Even just Valkyries and Amazons on their own are barely comparable (and that's before we get into how the DC Amazons are a ground-up reimagining of mythology Amazons), much less every sort of culture throughout history who just so happen to fight and are female. And what if those cultures don't have mother goddesses? What if those cultures have mother goddesses but no female warriors?

To me it'd be better if the Amazons just met the Valkyries and it's like, "Well, we're very different and come from very different worlds, but we can still find common ground...and in that sense, we are sisters in our hearts!" or whatever and not, y'know, "Apparently we are literally long-lost sisters despite having little to do with each other and coming from completely different worlds!"

Ah well. I'm pretty sure none of this is going to make it into mainline continuity, anyway. I mean, technically this is mainline continuity? But not exactly in any way that matters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I don't really think a guy being kinda mad that his wife got passed over for a story similar to one she had submitted for in the past really qualifies him as a douchebag. I mean he could have handled it a bit more tactfully, but now that we've seen the poo poo story that actually came of it I think he was probably proven right in the end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't he threaten an editor or something?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Well if he did then sure he's a douchebag. Unless it was Eddie Berganza. But all I remember was some tweets where he was mad about it and some like year old tweets people dug up where he was trashing Wonder Woman Earth One pretty hard.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Nah, he was poo poo-talking other DC writers on twitter, and stories came out of the two of them conning fans over commisions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well if he did then sure he's a douchebag. Unless it was Eddie Berganza. But all I remember was some tweets where he was mad about it and some like year old tweets people dug up where he was trashing Wonder Woman Earth One pretty hard.

I swear there was more to it but Google has nothing.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

I just want you to know that I totally picture you like your avatar behind the counter of your shop.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

It was you all along, Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

I just want you to know that I totally picture you like your avatar behind the counter of your shop.

I need a picture of screaming Guy Gardner for the next one

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

When should we be expecting the other DC books to be announced? I'm still excited.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought the DC panel was today but I haven't looked at the schedule.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.c2e2.com/en/Sessions/42082/DC-Universe-Rebirth

I assume it's this one? Looks like it's either now or in three hours depending on whether or not that's EST or PST

SMP
May 5, 2009

Roth posted:

I assume it's this one? Looks like it's either now or in three hours depending on whether or not that's EST or PST

There's a "special event" one at 6:30 that says it's not to be missed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That must be it. Sadly we're not going til tomorrow so I won't find out until it hits the news sites.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

It's neither. C2E2 is in Chicago. It's in CDT.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh, oops, I thought Chicago was EST

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

I need a picture of screaming Guy Gardner for the next one

I've got you covered, pal.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wish the title was something more like "gently caress you Bob Kane" but the one they picked works fine. Can't wait to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59c4Lfpii9w

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

C2E2 DC Universe: Rebirth panel live-tweets
https://twitter.com/TattoodComicGuy

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 21, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So if I understand right they're bringing Barbara back to being both Batgirl and Oracle at the same time? That seems like something destined to please nobody.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I still don't know anybody that reads comics and prefers Barbara as Batgirl and not Oracle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

I still don't know anybody that reads comics and prefers Barbara as Batgirl and not Oracle.

I think there are quite a few, including people who got into the character via the latest revision, but it's just not really a good midpoint.

Oracle is cool not just because of her distinctive gimmick but because of her development and character and her disability is part of that. Taking that away from Oracle loses something in addition to annoying the people who found Oracle empowering. "What if she's still Batgirl but she also does computer stuff" wouldn't work.

Admittedly maybe they mean something else and I'm jumping to conclusions but I really hope DC's not tone deaf enough to think that the part of Oracle people cared most about was her sitting in a clock tower ordering people around.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

So if I understand right they're bringing Barbara back to being both Batgirl and Oracle at the same time? That seems like something destined to please nobody.

I dunno if this dude misheard what they were saying, or it's changing, but a hacker teen dude has just became the new Oracle.

There was seemingly no new news at this thing.

I don't quite believe this one.
https://twitter.com/TattoodComicGuy/status/855535740306018304

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 21, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

I dunno if this dude misheard what they were saying, or it's changing, but a hacker teen dude is has just became the new Oracle.

There was seemingly no new news at this thing.

That's exactly what the Batman Family needed was a teenage hacker, christ what a phenomenal innovation

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So this thing's been going on for like an hour right? Where's all the new title announcements? Was that Dark Matter garbage all they're announcing at this thing?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TattoodComicGuy/status/855538358105276416

There's your hot announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Who needs new books when Terrorsmith is coming back?