Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Tsietisin posted:

The things that bother me with the intro

1. There's a break in the song near the start.

The break in the song was understandable for the first episode, and I guess it makes sense because they're "reenacting" the sequence every time but it bugs me too. It would've been better to have a "What the?!" played a little louder over the song like Mike's "Let me Gooo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

kalensc posted:

I haven't had much time to follow the new season, but I'm hoping to sneak in another ep tonight.

If my faves from the Mike era are the sci-fi and "action" episodes with standout sidekicks/villains (Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, Operation Double 007, Final Sacrifice, etc), which one from the new set will most likely hit similar beats?

I'll do them in order eventually, but tonight i just need something that hits the spot.

Starcrash has everything you're looking for.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm on to Carnival Magic now, but Avalanche, Starcrash, and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II are absolutely the highlights and could easily fit into one of the early Mike seasons.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
Definitely watch Cry Wilderness, but I got a lot of Final Sacrifice vibes from Wizards of the Lost Kingdom, although that's of the medieval fantasy genre.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

kalensc posted:

I haven't had much time to follow the new season, but I'm hoping to sneak in another ep tonight.

If my faves from the Mike era are the sci-fi and "action" episodes with standout sidekicks/villains (Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, Operation Double 007, Final Sacrifice, etc), which one from the new set will most likely hit similar beats?

I'll do them in order eventually, but tonight i just need something that hits the spot.

Cry Wilderness is must-watch, but Starcrash is exactly what you want, every character is an attempt at being as iconic as Star Wars and failing miserably .

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

I liked the concept/joke but it really was just too drat long, especially since every other skit feels less than a minute.

This is my feeling for sure. Wayyyy too long.

Also, since I was talking about weed jokes:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fun article from Waverly about the puppet work this season:

http://www.mst3k.com/amazing_colossal_puppetry_guide_reptilicus

Seems like they're all proud of their work :shobon:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Rifftrax Reefer Madness was great, but the Grass short that was paired with it is must-see

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Rifftrax Reefer Madness was great, but the Grass short that was paired with it is must-see

Is corn grass? is an important question, but the true philosophical quandary of our times is Why Doesn't Cathy Eat Breakfast?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Silly question to ask, but does the Carnival Magic ep have a lot of clown stuff in there? My girlfriend gets easily freaked out by them and I want to know if this is an episode I need to watch on my own.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Clowns only appear in the end credits

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The chimp gives me the loving creeps.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The subplot about everyone enthusiastically helping a teenager get laid/married to a guy in his late 20s/early 30s creeps me out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gaspy Conana posted:

The opinion that Reptilicus is weak and the season picks up after episode 2 or 3 is likely just an acclimation issue more than anything. It's like spinning a new album for the first time and then warming up to it over repeated listens. I imagine the same would be said for any episode if it were the first.

As someone who's watched all of the original MST3K I can confidently say season one was pretty bad.

Also what is this Gypsy gag where she drops it a basket, makes a meh quip than comes back for it every episode?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also what is this Gypsy gag where she drops it a basket, makes a meh quip than comes back for it every episode?

It's supposed to be refills of the liquid movie.

Can we add this to the OP or even the thread title by now?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

Yes, please.

I thought she was dropping off a cooler with snacks or, more likely, props for the bots to play with

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

BJPaskoff posted:

Where did you get that from? Not trying to be a dick, I'm actually curious because that's the first thing I've heard outside of Joel's "the payload" quip from an interview. Is it referenced in a bumper?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

This isn't true. Joel had only said it's "the payload" and refused to specify further.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
What the gently caress is with the surprise bigfoot in the literal last two minutes of the Hercules movie? I get they didn't want their hero to just murder a dude, but was this the most elegant solution they could contrive?

I'm genuinely flabbergasted.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Not Operator posted:

What the gently caress is with the surprise bigfoot in the literal last two minutes of the Hercules movie? I get they didn't want their hero to just murder a dude, but was this the most elegant solution they could contrive?

I'm genuinely flabbergasted.

Couldn't have been a bigfoot, he didn't have an afterlife alert medallion on him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm only ("only") on Starcrash right now, and I think my favorite moment of the whole series so far is Kinga's and Max's baffled expressions at the end as to whether or not they drove them insane or they always act like that

Just a fun moment of "oh god what the gently caress did we get ourselves into"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"We've either driven them insane or turned them into eight-year-olds."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I feel like TVs son of TVs Frank, Crow, and Tom are good. Everyone else is kind of meh.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

As someone who's watched all of the original MST3K I can confidently say season one was pretty bad.

I've liked every Season 1 episode I've seen and I think only Warriors of the Prehistoric World and The Slime People are unseen so far.

God, Avalanche is idiotic, but the riffs are gold. Especially when Mia Farrow asks about her reservation ("SO DO WE!") and "It's like I'm wearing nothin' at all..."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I meant season one of the original series.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

From my limited understanding, they didn't commit fully to writing before riffing until the second season or so. KTMA is way harder to watch than season 1. There are episodes of it with Joel in the theatre alone. Time of the Apes in the other hand has no Joel, the unofficial episode guide describes the ending of that episode as follows;

End: Joel floats outside the Satellite of Love, as Crow and Servo discuss their new Joel-less life together

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

So does he.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah season 1 is not great.

It's hilarious if you come into it after watching KTMA though. reaaally makes it more palatable...

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

remusclaw posted:

From my limited understanding, they didn't commit fully to writing before riffing until the second season or so. KTMA is way harder to watch than season 1. There are episodes of it with Joel in the theatre alone.

Season 1 was mostly written, Josh was chafing at it though. They clearly didn't have a thought out system for writing or how often to put jokes in until season 2, though really season one picks up slowly as it rolls along.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just tried going through season one. The improv riffing is so slow, it's easy to forget they're even riffing and you're left wondering why you're watching such a terrible movie.

As for Gypsy, there's lost potential there. She's a super computer, she should be throwing out little known facts or something, rather than off beat riffs that miss more than hit. She's had a few decent, but the little known fact about trex strangulation felt perfect.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Evil Mastermind posted:

"We've either driven them insane or turned them into eight-year-olds."

It's especially funny because the experiment subjects have typically outlasted at least one or more mads, in Mike's case literally outliving Dr. F. It's basically gotten to the point now where the subject in the Experiment is more dangerous than the Experiment itself.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
guys I'm beginning to think Kinga is not very good at her job

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Why is it I remember the riff from Merlin as "Believe in Magic" "Or I'll loving KILL YOU"

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm sure everyone else is way past this by now but, man, that end credits song in Cry Wilderness. :psyduck:

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think he's still salty from getting blown off by Trace Beaulieu so he's mad at all of them.

Nah, getting faced by Trace was around April 6th, but on March 26th Lowtax was grousing about the cost of the new season and insinuating Joel was being greedy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Yongary is such a good episode :pusheen:

My favorite era was the Joel era because thats what I grew up watching and only sparingly caught the Mike stuff, but I gotta say I really like the pace of the riffs in this new season. Even if something doesn't land theres another joke right around the corner and if multiple jokes land in a row it gives me hearty chuckles.

Also for people complaining about Jonah/the bots not reacting to their own jokes I think that really changes as you get into the middle of the season. I noticed Jonah laughing more outright at the the bots jokes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, Yongary had more than a few instances of them cracking each other up. I really like the new season, that said I like all the era's of the show.

I do feel a little like the seemingly overwhelming preference some have for the Mike period of the show comes from them having pretty much got every thing down pat by the time he took over. Late era Joel was an amazing show, but those early seasons are pretty rough at times.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 21, 2017

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chokes McGee posted:

It's especially funny because the experiment subjects have typically outlasted at least one or more mads, in Mike's case literally outliving Dr. F. It's basically gotten to the point now where the subject in the Experiment is more dangerous than the Experiment itself.

Mike in particular destroyed several entire planets.

Glad to hear they make each other laugh more later. It's my favourite thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like Lowtax just doesn't understand how TV works, cost-wise. $300k an episode is astonishingly cheap given that they'd be paying cast (I assume the cast worked for scale, but still...), crew, building props, doing music, effects, puppeteering and licensing the movie.

Plus, yes, who needs gaming jokes *has whole YouTube channel dedicated to copying MST but over bad flash games*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lowtax is a waste.