Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Venomous posted:

Nakamura's English is okay though. Look at his first promo against Aries, for instance. He had a nice sense of timing there. That said, I'm pretty sure Ziggler will do the heavy lifting on that end of the feud, whereas Nakamura will say a few things at the end that really pop the crowd before Kinshasaing the poo poo out of him.

Asuka? Eh. Asuka just needs to be pushed as a silent killer. I dunno how that'll get over, but it's what they need to do.

all she does now is smile and win and thats all she has to keep doing, if they wanna go that route

jobing out the entire established main womens roster tho may not really work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Asuka gets great crowd reactions spitting out angry Japanese words, which can be easily interpreted as "I WILL loving KILL YOU," and she knows just enough English to build up to a money line like "nobody is ready for Asuka."

She has the charisma to get over no matter what language she speaks, it's just a question of the main roster writers (Vince) giving her the chance.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Benne posted:

Asuka gets great crowd reactions spitting out angry Japanese words, which can be easily interpreted as "I WILL loving KILL YOU," and she knows just enough English to build up to a money line like "nobody is ready for Asuka."

She has the charisma to get over no matter what language she speaks, it's just a question of the main roster writers (Vince) giving her the chance.

i remember someone somewhere saying that asuka is from a part of japan where they cast actors who play intimidating yakuza parts because they have crazy accents, which i totally would buy because whenever asuka starts going all out in japanese it sounds fuckin scary.

nakamura will be fine, watch his goodbye promo to nxt or listen to his talk is jericho podcast, like, obviously he's not a native speaker or anything, but he can carry on a conversation. i mean, cmon, smackdown is pushing jinder mahal as a #1 contender, they can take the risk on the japanese guy cutting a few promos to get his footing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

shiksa posted:

i remember someone somewhere saying that asuka is from a part of japan where they cast actors who play intimidating yakuza parts because they have crazy accents, which i totally would buy because whenever asuka starts going all out in japanese it sounds fuckin scary.

Asuka is from Osaka, which is generally considered the "redneck" region of Japan. Either she's leaning into that, the NXT writers have more cultural awareness than I presumed, or both. Either way, she makes a way bigger impact with pissed-off Japanese promos than her English stuff.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

shiksa posted:

nakamura will be fine, watch his goodbye promo to nxt or listen to his talk is jericho podcast, like, obviously he's not a native speaker or anything, but he can carry on a conversation. i mean, cmon, smackdown is pushing jinder mahal as a #1 contender, they can take the risk on the japanese guy cutting a few promos to get his footing.

It's not just where they cast Yakuza from, Osaka is deep in mob ties. The old joke in the video game industry about SNK (who were based in Osaka) was "Hey, did you hear about where SNK got the idea for King of Fighters? Their parking lot." Osaka is kind of like Japan's Atlantic City or Vegas in that it's this bustling city full of poo poo to do where everyone party hards like a motherfucker and poo poo is open late. I did a weekend there visiting the sister of a dude we met in Tokyo and Friday night was like seven or eight solid hours of drinking and awesome street food. The dialect is real though, It's hard to think of an American equivalent, maybe Pennsylvania or Jersey accents, but it's a lot harsher than standard Japanese and has a lot of it's own words and slang. It carries over a lot of rules from old Japanese when the language was more strongly influenced by Chinese so it has a lot of tone variations that can change or morph the meanings of words in ways you don't see in "normal" Japanese. This is why the majority of Japanese comedians and comedy groups are based in or from Osaka, because the complex tonal inflection and wide array of slang gives them the ability to inflect a large amount of nuance into statements (and also because Osaka has infinity bars so lovely slapstick comedy is a in demand commodity).

But yeah in general it's stereotypically associated with gangsters, party girls, tough guys and sleazeballs in Japanese media. Whenever you here that low grumblegrumblegrumblemublemubleHIGHPITCHEDLONGVOWELS thing in Japanese movies/wrestling/anime that's usually someone going for an Osaka accent. It doesn't help that a lot of people play it up real hard and mushmouth everything especially around foreigners and people not from around there. Kansai has this kind of "gently caress you we're old school and proud" thing going for it as an area in general, and they sort of relish in the slang and heavily accented bullshit because they derive a sort of weird superiority from it. I'm not even joking when I say that there are large slices of modern dudes in the area right now who are still mildly pissed about the capital of Japan moving. There's a lot of people there who intentionally work very hard to preserve the "old way" of doing things, sometimes it's cool (lots of neat martial arts and archery stuff) and other times it's just a hassle (previously mentioned tone stuff, heavy use of outdated writing styles).

Benne posted:

Asuka is from Osaka, which is generally considered the "redneck" region of Japan. Either she's leaning into that, the NXT writers have more cultural awareness than I presumed, or both. Either way, she makes a way bigger impact with pissed-off Japanese promos than her English stuff.

IDK where this started in western media but this gets repeated a lot even if it's not really true IMHO. Hokkaido and Kyushu (IE the small islands) are the redneck regions of Japan, as much as islands loosely the size of Ireland with several cities with millions of people in them can be "redneck". Realistically though Chugoku is the hot farm country full of small towns but literally no one cares about Chugoku enough to stereotype it.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 20, 2017

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

El Estrago Bonito posted:

IDK where this started in western media but this gets repeated a lot even if it's not really true IMHO. Hokkaido and Kyushu (IE the small islands) are the redneck regions of Japan, as much as islands loosely the size of Ireland with several cities with millions of people in them can be "redneck". Realistically though Chugoku is the hot farm country full of small towns but literally no one cares about Chugoku enough to stereotype it.

I am going to guess every time an Osakan or Kansai accent in general is translated from an anime or whatever, it ends up as a Southern accent from whoever is voicing them. I have also seen it translated as New York style accent though but never voiced that way :shrug:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's really cool that they use the Southern accent as an amalgamous whole as an analog to convey people from those other regions to be dim and backwards.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Did WWE used to do encore presentations of PPVs like WCW? I'm watching old episodes of Nitro and I forgot that they used to replay their PPVs on Tuesday nights. I don't recall the WWE ever doing this, or at least advertising it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrKrankenwagen posted:

Did WWE used to do encore presentations of PPVs like WCW? I'm watching old episodes of Nitro and I forgot that they used to replay their PPVs on Tuesday nights. I don't recall the WWE ever doing this, or at least advertising it.

Pretty sure they did all the times, which is why the PPV recaps on RAW were always still photos instead of video.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

DrKrankenwagen posted:

They always did, Dave used to complain about how they'd keep false advertising no shows/changed main events for the replays all the time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

RacistGuidingLight posted:

It's really cool that they use the Southern accent as an amalgamous whole as an analog to convey people from those other regions to be dim and backwards.
:agreed: but unironically

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

What about Okinawa? Did I learn...redneck karate?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

(cool japan stuff)

I think the idea comes from a default assumption about what 'weird accent' means. Characters from Osaka, when its stated that they are at least, are treated like they speak funny. I would assume people take that and go straight to Southern USA accent, hence they think Osakans (Osakanese?) are rednecks.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think the important lesson here is don't base your knowledge of Japan off dubbed animes

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Aphrodite posted:

What I mean is that Hulk Hogan was always "Hulk Hogan, the WWF wrestler, as..."

Yes in a different way because of the era, but he was a casting gimmick.

The Rock certainly owes wrestling for getting his start in Hollywood, but he got to where he is by being an incredibly enjoyable actor, not because people remembered This Is Your Life.

And Bautista is quietly building a pretty great career as a supporting dude in some really loving huge movies - but he's still not an iconic celebrity by any stretch.

2014 Guardians of the Galaxy - $773m worldwide
2015 Spectre - $880m worldwilde
2017 Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - Going to be gigantic
2017 Blade Runner 2049
2018 Avengers Infinity War
TBD Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

god blade runner 2 is gonna suck so much rear end

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

sean10mm posted:

And Bautista is quietly building a pretty great career as a supporting dude in some really loving huge movies - but he's still not an iconic celebrity by any stretch.

2017 Blade Runner 2049

How much did Kickboxer make?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

nm

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 20, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

I hope not, but who knows. Denis Villeneuve and Roger Deakins aren't scrubs, so there is some reason to hope it will at least look :krad:

Davros1 posted:

How much did Kickboxer make?

Like :10bux: I assume.

It looks like he'll do anything, but his agent steadily gets him slam dunks since GOTG.

e: IIRC Bautista said in an interview somewhere that he changed agents and then the new guy promptly lands him Guardians of the Galaxy. Nuts.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Don't forget Riddick

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Don't forget Riddick

Everybody forgot Riddick. And well they should.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wasn't he the bad guy in a Tony Jaa movie?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sean10mm posted:

2017 Blade Runner 2049

Sure, but he's still basically the only other wrestler to have major mainstream success independently.

When I said Batista's #2 I wasn't trying to say he's wildly successful, I was trying to say the list is small. It's like Rock, Batista, and the guy who played the Sabretooth that wasn't allowed to talk in the early X-Men movies. That's the whole list.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Sure, but he's still basically the only other wrestler to have major mainstream success independently.

When I said Batista's #2 I wasn't trying to say he's wildly successful, I was trying to say the list is small. It's like Rock, Batista, and the guy who played the Sabretooth that wasn't allowed to talk in the early X-Men movies. That's the whole list.

Nathan Jones has been doing well for himself.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

P-Mack posted:

Nathan Jones has been doing well for himself.

When you have your own smiley on the Something Awful Dot Com forums you know you've made it.

:perfect:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh I thought those were the same guy. I crossed some wires.

Tyler Mane barely counts as a wrestler.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

Probably, but it's still going to make more money than every movie Hogan's made combined.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I... think I agree with you? Guess that wasn't clear.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Wasn't he the bad guy in a Tony Jaa movie?

Nathan Jones was.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sod3MoDj_Zs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLzAHTKjZrg

Are any of these Cena/Orton matches as good as these video packages are making me think they are?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VJeff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sod3MoDj_Zs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLzAHTKjZrg

Are any of these Cena/Orton matches as good as these video packages are making me think they are?

Orton/Cena are decent together, but they have had like 35 PPV matches over the years and are not the Rock/Austin pairing that WWE sells them as.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I'm fairly certain there were at least 1 or 2 matches between the two that were excellent, but they had so many matches against each other that they all kind of blur together in my head as a big generic, largely forgettable mess.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

dont even fink about it posted:

Orton/Cena are decent together, but they have had like 35 PPV matches over the years and are not the Rock/Austin pairing that WWE sells them as.

Yeah they're better

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I personally can't remember any of the Cena Vs Orton matches. There was so many of them that I can't remember a single match they had, only the feeling of dread knowing they were going to have another loving match.

Having said that I haven't really enjoyed a Randy Orton match since he was in Evolution.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
...did they ever have a 1 on 1 singles match at Mania?

I know the year Cena won the Rumble, it was a triple threat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like they had an I Quit match at the Rumble one year that was really good?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Orton feels like the star that never was. Everything in his favor even the guys running the show and he just feels like the guy who gets a turn on top when other more interesting people are doing other things.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Randy's best matches were his ones against Triple H at No Mercy 2007

that was ten years ago, Christ

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

VJeff posted:

...did they ever have a 1 on 1 singles match at Mania?

I know the year Cena won the Rumble, it was a triple threat.

They teased it at the Rumble once and it got no pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

These are my feelings on Batistas fame vs Hogans, feel free to skip this stupid post.

The difference between the two, in my opinion, is that while Dave will never ever be an icon like Hulk, appearing in at least 5 major marvel movies plus whatever else he does is the kind of fame that will long out last being the most popular face of the 80's wrestling boom. Hulks fame peaked 30 years ago and he isn't picking up any new fans anytime soon. Drax is a character that's going to be in multiple movies with literally billion dollar potential and ultimately watched by generations across the next couple decades on an international scale WWE can only dream of.

So I guess my feeling is that sure, Hulk as an individual is ultimately the bigger star, but after our generation moves on culturally he'll be about as relevant to the average person as Sammartino is today. Meanwhile parents of the future will be watching Guardians and Avengers with their kids like parents of today might do with Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park or whatever else.

TL,DR: Hulk's star burned brighter, but Daves will burn a whole lot longer.

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 20, 2017