Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The largest negative anomaly globally is centered on Palinaska. That's an lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.

enraged_camel posted:

I was telling one of my coworkers about the methane gas bubbles and he goes "that's awesome, i hope it happens soon and Russia gets hosed!!!"

:stonklol:

It's little anecdotes like these that give me a certain amount of schadenfreude about our collective impending doom.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiax Rules All posted:

It's little anecdotes like these that give me a certain amount of schadenfreude about our collective impending doom.

makes me mad enough to spit

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tiax Rules All posted:

At least it's fitting that it's our selfishness, small mindedness and stupidity that destroys us, rather than arbitrary asteroid #45239.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

That'll show the asteroid. We don't need no foreign bodies to successfully destroy the world!!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Is there any indication of how forcefully all these new methane bubbles pop? Is it an abrupt gas eruption or just a slowly deflating pocket that erodes into a crater?

What I am getting at is will the inevitable dashcam footage be worthwhile? It is Russia, after all, and the harbingers of our collective demise may as well be entertaining.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Potential BFF posted:

Is there any indication of how forcefully all these new methane bubbles pop? Is it an abrupt gas eruption or just a slowly deflating pocket that erodes into a crater?

What I am getting at is will the inevitable dashcam footage be worthwhile? It is Russia, after all, and the harbingers of our collective demise may as well be entertaining.

I have no idea but I wouldn't want to walk in this minefield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Xc3LtZRWo

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
We should start an accelerationism charity to go pop as many of those things as possible

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

call to action posted:

We should start an accelerationism charity to go pop as many of those things as possible

You have to pop them within a few weeks of each other for maximum impact. Otherwise the methane turns into CO2, which is not nearly as strong of a greenhouse gas.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

double nine posted:

I have no idea but I wouldn't want to walk in this minefield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Xc3LtZRWo

Seems like there's a fair bit of pressure behind that.

Methane trapped under lake ice does not gently caress around.

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
Methane stays in the atmosphere for about 10 years. It doesn't need to all burst at the same time to gently caress us.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

enraged_camel posted:

You have to pop them within a few weeks of each other for maximum impact. Otherwise the methane turns into CO2, which is not nearly as strong of a greenhouse gas.

That's why we start a charity, to pay for things like pizza and hot dogs for Bubble Burst 2018

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Look at these images.

https://qz.com/963439/a-massive-iceberg-photobombed-ferryland-newfoundland-a-small-canadian-fishing-village/

Massive icebergs big enough to land helicopters on are floating south past Canadian coastal towns. This is such a loving tragedy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Floridans are starting to freak out.

Choice quote:

quote:

Cason, the Coral Gables mayor, said Congress ought to create what he called a “resilience fund” for homes threatened by the water

:laugh:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm taking a particularly Carlinesque pleasure from these bits:

quote:

“Nobody thinks it’s coming as fast as it is,” said Dan Kipnis, the chairman of Miami Beach’s Marine and Waterfront Protection Authority, who has been trying to find a buyer for his home in Miami Beach for almost a year, and has already lowered his asking price twice.

Some South Florida homeowners, stuck in a twist on the prisoner’s dilemma, are deciding to sell now—not necessarily because they want to move, but because they’re worried their neighbors will sell first.

Marla Martin, a spokeswoman for Florida’s association of realtors, said that while “of course climate change is on the radar for our members,” she hadn’t heard of clients selling homes because of sea-level rise.

“I think the scientists are still trying to get a handle on it,” she wrote in an email.

It's starting.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Lol people are being forced to pay massive insurance premiums that increase every year. Those houses are going to be abandoned after the next flooding event.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Half that article's bold worthy.

I liked this bit:

quote:

“The next black swan is the failure of housing finance to take climate change into account,” he said. “There will be a large number of homes that will lose substantial value, and will default on mortgages, if nothing is done to help them.”

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So how do I convince my vehement, frothing denialist Boomer relatives to sell off their Florida properties?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Help them? What are they gonna do? You'll have to turn your home into a literal underwater house, completely insulated and leak free. And with a tunnel to the surface. Actually that'd be pretty cool.

Crazycryodude posted:

So how do I convince my vehement, frothing denialist Boomer relatives to sell off their Florida properties?

you can't don't bother.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Crazycryodude posted:

So how do I convince my vehement, frothing denialist Boomer relatives to sell off their Florida properties before the next hurricane?

Try to hook them up with good homeowners insurance. Make sure it doesn't cover floods.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I'd just rather not see a large chunk of me and my cousins' inheritances end up submerged. But oh well, I've been working them for years with no progress so at this point gently caress them.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
i hope to god housing collapses during trump's tenure just for the sweet sweet schadenfreude. a loving twofer. Bailing banks because of climate change... trump will implode.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I wonder how much Florida real estate could by hurt internet propaganda? Probably a lot of people who'd like to know that house they're eyeing will be underwater by 2060

Edit:

The article addressed this:

quote:

Russo says if she knew in 2015 what she knows now, she wouldn’t have purchased the house. People buying in her neighborhood today are probably just as clueless as she once was, she guesses. “I would bet money that the realtors are not telling them.”

Realtors in Florida face no legal requirement to warn potential buyers about those flood risks. Albert Slap, president of Coastal Risk Consulting, which helps homeowners and governments measure their exposure to flooding, said he thinks that will soon change: Just as the public demanded mandatory disclosure of asbestos and lead paint, people will insist on the same disclosure if a house suffers regular floods.

And when that happens, Slap said, many Florida home prices will tumble.

Internet bullshit's easier than legislation. And if you get the ball rolling on Facebook, the politics get easier.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 21, 2017

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Minge Binge posted:

i hope to god housing collapses during trump's tenure just for the sweet sweet schadenfreude. a loving twofer. Bailing banks because of climate change... trump will implode.

I wouldn't be too sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRHKB7Vmxzk

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Help them? What are they gonna do? You'll have to turn your home into a literal underwater house, completely insulated and leak free. And with a tunnel to the surface. Actually that'd be pretty cool.

By 'help' they mean a bailout.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Crazycryodude posted:

They sound horrible why would you want to help horrible people? Just feed them to the ecomutants.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The Antarctic Ice Sheet is draining huge quantities of water out to sea.

quote:

Antarctica lost 1400 gigatons of ice between 2002 and 2016.

quote:

. “We’re working hard to figure out if this stuff is relevant to sea-level predictions,” said Douglas MacAyeal, a glaciologist at the University of Chicago who was not involved in the studies. He noted that, until recently, “nobody’s been that interested in melting,” because it was thought to be extremely rare in Antarctica.

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 21, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

TildeATH posted:

They sound horrible why would you want to help horrible people? Just feed them to the ecomutants.

Because if their property gets submerged I don't get it (or the money they would have gotten from selling it, rather) when they die.

Pure selfishness at this point, but gently caress it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I thought we had at least a decade or more before the momentum really started to affect things that your average person in a developed nation would care about, but when those positive feedback loops get going they really get going.

I've been involved in environmental activism for a minute but it really feels like nowhere near enough is being done on a fast enough time scale, despite all the time and energy poured into this. Time to start convincing my relatives that live on the eastern seaboard to join me in the midwest, I guess.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Florida banned the term "climate change" and/or state officials from talking about climate change, or some such. I can spell schadenfreude. I actually cannot, I had to copy paste it from another poster.

quote:

Because if their property gets submerged I don't get it (or the money they would have gotten from selling it, rather) when they die.

Appeal to their selfishness. Explain to them that many people in the community do believe in climate change and sea level rise and will therefore sell and therefore property prices will plummet. Encourage them to sell before the property prices plummet.

EDIT: It also depends on the nature of their dissent. The vast majority of climate change deniers do believe the climate is changing but its not us. If they are of this variety, they will believe sea level will rise and the fore their property will be submerged so they should sell.

BattleMoose fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 21, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I thought we had at least a decade or more before the momentum really started to affect things that your average person in a developed nation would care about, but when those positive feedback loops get going they really get going.

I've been involved in environmental activism for a minute but it really feels like nowhere near enough is being done on a fast enough time scale, despite all the time and energy poured into this. Time to start convincing my relatives that live on the eastern seaboard to join me in the midwest, I guess.

I'm skeptical about the average Westerner feeling climate change in the next couple decades. We're probably talking more stuff like disappearance of cheap fish of certain varieties, or costlier produce etc.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

shrike82 posted:

I'm skeptical about the average Westerner feeling climate change in the next couple decades. We're probably talking more stuff like disappearance of cheap fish of certain varieties, or costlier produce etc.

Stuff like Rossby wave resonance will lead to more dramatic weather and weather shifts across the US as we've already been seeing, but it's hard to convince people that a statistical ensemble of unusual events is a change. To most people it's just a lot of wildfires / tornadoes / floods / droughts / whatever that year. See: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep45242

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Consider the impact that a few refugees from the middle east has has on Europe. Now consider the impact of very many more refugees.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I've been involved in environmental activism for a minute but it really feels like nowhere near enough is being done on a fast enough time scale, despite all the time and energy poured into this.
We as a species just don't have the will or organization to combat this problem. I think we are going to see a massive human population decrease and centuries of hard times from an unstable climate and land that was once viable no longer being viable.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's really no question at this point that activism has failed, I don't think anyone seriously believes at this point that there is anything to be done by the average person with regards to the climate. Unless by some miracle the ruling class of the largest governments in the world all simultaneously have heart attacks and are somehow replaced by people who give a poo poo about the environment, you should really focus on your own circumstances. Consume what you want, expand your carbon footprint as much as you need in order to get whatever you can out of whats left of the world before it's too late.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

And if you live inland, don't think sea level rise won't affect you.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah the survivalist compound in a remote mountain valley still sounds like the best long-term idea.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

shrike82 posted:

I think this really depends on what you consider to be impactful to your average person in a first world country. The truth is that you're already feeling the effects of climate change right now, no matter where you live. Arctic ice melt is having a real and measurable impact on weather patterns, and the overall effect of the changing climate on weather is real even if tying specific events to climate change is the wrong way to look at things.

Whether or not you feel major impacts is just a matter of luck and how much you want to attribute freak weather events to climate change. A storm that's just a bit worse than Sandy was has the potential to completely gently caress NYC, but plenty of people aren't going to see the connection with climate change if that happens. It's hard to talk about the impact of something like this in general because we're always talking about patterns rather than discrete events.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah the survivalist compound in a remote mountain valley still sounds like the best long-term idea.

The best long-term idea is making a lot of money and living in a (not stupidly at risk) city that governments and corporations have a bested interest in maintaining afloat - and if social or economic unrest rears up its head, you've got money so you pack up and move somewhere else.

Survivalist communes are for hippies and crazies who think the government puts mind-control drugs in the water. Even if you can deal with the decreased quality of life, and assuming the whole thing doesn't fall apart in on itself from some idiot having sex with the wrong person, all those guns are indeed good for protecting the place against individuals or small groups of outsiders that might wander in... but it fails to take into account that there are many gradual steps between "everything is fine" and "mad max wasteland", and some of those steps include large paramilitaries knocking on the door because they want those guns and any other resources you can spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Conspiratiorist posted:

Survivalist communes are for hippies and crazies who think the government puts mind-control drugs in the water.

Survivalist communes? Is that what you consider cities with less than 10,000 residents?

I mean, you don't have to join a commune to buy property in Montana.

Now whether your mountain community will break or cities will break first is another question altogether.