Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's pretty inspiring that many people bought Andromeda with the sole hope that "maybe the multiplayer will be good" and it's arguably not even an improvement over ME3 despite no new innovations or modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't plan on ever playing single player but they failed so goddamn hard on multiplayer that I had to play single just to recoup the $60 I wasted

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SubponticatePoster posted:

E:^^^ I should set that as my text notification sound and see who recognizes it

They made enough money off ME3 that the loving servers are still running 5 years later and you can find a game with pretty much no waiting day or night. If EA wants to increase profit make it so you can buy specific weapons or characters or whatever. My Scorpion and Black Widow are still at level 4-ish in ME3 thanks to the RNG loving me over :argh:

I should really find a download able version of it haha

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

If EA wants to increase profit make it so you can buy specific weapons or characters or whatever. My Scorpion and Black Widow are still at level 4-ish in ME3 thanks to the RNG loving me over :argh:

I would think that too, and might actually be tempted to spend a few bucks on some choice gear if I get drunk and lazy enough but I feel like the RNG lootbox method is so prominent now that companies must have figured out that they ultimately make more money off of whales dumping IRL money into the RNG meat grinder than they get from normal people making a few key purchases here and there.

I dunno, whatever, it doesn't matter, who cares

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

I didn't plan on ever playing single player but they failed so goddamn hard on multiplayer that I had to play single just to recoup the $60 I wasted

I don't even think 3 was this loving busted at launch, and what problems it had mostly got fixed in like the following weeks/month.
With andromeda we've gotten what, 1 'fix' so far?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

exquisite tea posted:

poetry again...

Some devs personal Twitter is the worst and only way to have a discussion about MEA balance.

I get that having forums or allowing comments on the company blog leads to a lot of shitposting and having to hire more people to moderate the shotposting. But it's also a lot more professional than this poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I don't even think 3 was this loving busted at launch, and what problems it had mostly got fixed in like the following weeks/month.
With andromeda we've gotten what, 1 'fix' so far?

The biggest technical issue, which wasn't fixed for months, was the Vanguard Rapture effect that would happen in later waves if you died while charging. There were other glitches too but this was obviously the biggest as it made an entire class effectively unplayable if you weren't hosting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If I had to take a guess at what's going on without actually knowing anything, I'd say that me3 was able to be quickly patched and balanced because nobody cared about it and a small team could do what they wanted with it

Now that they've realized MP is profitable, people with expensive titles are overseeing it and making bad decisions slowly because all executives are dumb and wrong

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Apparently their patching structure doesn't allow for small patches that don't have to go through microsoft/sony certification. So right now they can only do patches that cost money, which are probably only gonna be bundled with things that affect single player as well.

Fixing this is supposedly a priority.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair, the weekly balance tweaks were barely noticeable and rolling out a big balance patch every month instead of "7/11/13: Hornet base damage changed from 12.1 to 12.4" every week ends up being the same thing. If that's what they're gonna do.

And honestly you should all be at least slightly happy that it appears they're actually going to make significant changes to kits and weapons. ME3MP has classes that are still bugged (Asari Huntress in ME3MP doesn't get bonus gun damage when firing from cloak)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If you're using a gun much as AH you're kinda doing it wrong anyway. Cloak -> DC -> ok I guess I'll put a couple bullets in someone while my poo poo's on cooldown -> cloak -> warp EXPLOSION AND DEATH

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's not that ME3 MP still doesn't have bugs, it's that Andromeda's MP released in a less stable state after what should have been five years of programming knowledge, with fewer features, and also dared to sell itself on the strength of the multiplayer, unlike ME3 where it was just a tacked on game mode.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

exquisite tea posted:

dared to sell itself on the strength of the multiplayer, unlike ME3 where it was just a tacked on game mode.

Nah it sold itself on I'M ONLY HUMAAAN AFTER AAALL.
Dont put the blame on them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hahahaha "dared to sell itself."

You need to self-medicate or something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Please keep all "yell at exquisite tea for their mass effect opinions" to the single player thread, thank you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Here's an opinion

I like mea but I liked me3 better and would like the game to improve

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Here's an opinion

I like mea but I liked me3 better and would like the game to improve

:same:

I enjoy the jetpacking, and if they ever get the game into a state where guns are actually useful, I'll enjoy that too. For now, vanguard punching and sniping with other classes is fine, I guess

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Here's another opinion

Krogan are not worth playing without the crazed laughter

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I like the jetpacking too. My only complaint about it is that it makes to characters too similar in playstyle. In ME3 tons of classes and species had unique modifiers to their movement speed and dodging ability. Now even Krogans can jet around like coked up gnats.

I mean think about the difference between the N7 fury and the N7 destroyer.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

At least for mp, they should limit the # of dodges you can do in a row before a cooldown. And then have a few mobility based classes that avoid that. Like the havoc gets infinite air dodges with no CD, but 15 seconds on ground dodges. Fortify adds to the timer or reduces the # of charges you can hold.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Question: What the gently caress is your problem with fun and why do you want to ruin it for everyone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey at least dodging doesn't consume Shields anymore

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

precision posted:

Hey at least dodging doesn't consume Shields anymore

"Hmm, this change is literally the single best alteration they've made to movement and combat in the entire series, how can we gently caress it up so it isn't too fun anymore"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Question: What the gently caress is your problem with fun and why do you want to ruin it for everyone

I want to have a reason to NOT press that button. The delivery objective from last weekend was a joke. They slowed your movespeed with the package, but not your dodge distance.

There should be tradeoffs, you can make Fortify WAY better when they can't also dodge out of every grenade. Tie infinite dodges to Annihilation 5b so it gives you a reason to pick it over 5a. Because right now the speed buff doesn't compare to 20% damage.

Not every class should be great at movement, it shuts down opportunities to do something unique. They can't change jetpacking because all the maps are vertical.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Magmarashi posted:

"Hmm, this change is literally the single best alteration they've made to movement and combat in the entire series, how can we gently caress it up so it isn't too fun anymore"

I'm not saying get rid of it, just treat it as one more thing to balance. Make some classes do it better or differently than others. Make some classes schlep it on the ground. I realize it's a core part of Andromeda gameplay, but cover was a core part of ME3 and we still got the Juggernaut.

Half the fun of the game being pve instead of pvp is that it doesn't have to be as strictly balanced, it just has to be fun.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Two Finger posted:

Here's another opinion

Krogan are not worth playing without the crazed laughter

This, almost more than anything else, makes me think the multiplayer team doesn't "get" what made ME3 MP so good.

//edit

More balanced idea. Give every class a shorter length dodge and tie the sweet class specific longer dodge with Invis for infils and poo poo to a weaker tier 6 passive. Make people choose dodge over more powerful grenades or whatever.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 20, 2017

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Relentless posted:

At least for mp, they should limit the # of dodges you can do in a row before a cooldown. And then have a few mobility based classes that avoid that. Like the havoc gets infinite air dodges with no CD, but 15 seconds on ground dodges. Fortify adds to the timer or reduces the # of charges you can hold.

Bad idea alert.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Relentless posted:

I want to have a reason to NOT press that button.

See previous question.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

See previous question.

I also play a lot of roguelikes and PvP games? I liked Godhand a lot? I still play monster hunter?

Sometimes things should suck and you should die because you weren't perfect. It makes the highs that much better, and gives the opportunity to improve.

//edit Also I have seen Death Note Season 2, but haven't seen Stranger Things, and build TTK spreadsheets for fun. I'm clearly broken and no one should listen to me.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 20, 2017

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Anime is bad m'kay?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

You should play a match and don't use the dodge at all, just to see how bad of an idea that is.
For challenge mode, don't jump either.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's not so bad. I've done it.

with cheats

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
[whines incoming]

What exactly is the design philosophy behind making the Kett just flat-out uncontestedly more difficult than other enemy types by a mile-wide margin? One of their mobs (Wraith) is literally just a reskin of another mob (adhi), but invisible and with more health? Both of their Shielded mobs (Anointed and Destined) take multiple Shield-killing abilities to actually unShield, as opposed to the Sharpshooters and Observers who get unShielded with a single Overload? They got two boss-level mofos with sync kills as opposed to...like, none from the other types? I literally do not remember if Remnant or Outlaws can sync kill at all?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

[whines incoming]

What exactly is the design philosophy behind making the Kett just flat-out uncontestedly more difficult than other enemy types by a mile-wide margin? One of their mobs (Wraith) is literally just a reskin of another mob (adhi), but invisible and with more health? Both of their Shielded mobs (Anointed and Destined) take multiple Shield-killing abilities to actually unShield, as opposed to the Sharpshooters and Observers who get unShielded with a single Overload? They got two boss-level mofos with sync kills as opposed to...like, none from the other types? I literally do not remember if Remnant or Outlaws can sync kill at all?

The Atlas can sync kill now, and Destroyers might?
I've never let a destroyer get that close to find out.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

[whines incoming]

Where you went wrong was the words "design philosophy".

But seriously, I don't think they got quite that far.

They added a sync kill animation to the Hydra, but you have to be right up in his grill and until the 1st patch it just did a bunch of damage, not an instant kill.

They aren't balanced for single player either, but there's plot reasons. And they didn't adjust for plot when making multiplayer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

What exactly is the design philosophy behind making the Kett just flat-out uncontestedly more difficult than other enemy types by a mile-wide margin?

Incompetence.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Relentless posted:

Sometimes things should suck and you should die because you weren't perfect. It makes the highs that much better, and gives the opportunity to improve.

Also, what the gently caress is this logic?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Autism

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The Hydra's sync kill is extremely slow and telegraphed, if you see it raise its right arm in the air it's trying to do it. Destroyers do not have a sync kill but the damaging field they put up against melee opponents is pretty deadly if you get stuck in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

What part of "I play roguelikes" did you not understand?

Why play games if they don't challenge you? If a game is made well, it should be training you as it raises the difficulty. Something with multiple classes should have defined strengths and weaknesses for each one, and should let you know when you're not doing it right. By killing you. Or failing the level, or whatever. I mean, Candy Crush has figured that part out.

Now, the penalty for screwing up is a completely different conversation. Sync kills being instant permadeath for the round feels cheap as hell. Dropping you dead at it's feet, and having a followup stomp if your team doesn't cover for your mistake would feel so much better than the current "welp i got eaten by a fiend, bio break brb."

• Locked thread