Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Joementum posted:

[in reference to my last post quoting Taibbi]

u can quote urself u know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nonsense posted:

In the waning days of the presidential campaign, Bill and Hillary Clinton had a knock-down, drag-out fight about her effort to blame FBI Director James Comey for her slump in the polls and looming danger of defeat.

'I was with Bill in Little Rock when he had this shouting match with Hillary on the phone and she accused Comey for reviving the investigation into her use of a private email server and reversing her campaign's momentum,' said one of Bill Clinton's closest advisers.
'Bill didn't buy the excuse that Comey would cost Hillary the election,' said the source. 'As far as he was concerned, all the blame belonged to [campaign manager Robby] Mook, [campaign chairman John] Podesta and Hillary because they displayed a tone-deaf attitude about the feeble economy and its impact on millions and millions of working-class voters.

'Bill was so red in the face during his conversation with Hillary that I worried he was going to have a heart attack. He got so angry that he threw his phone off the roof of his penthouse apartment and toward the Arkansas River.'

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

I knew there was a reason I was happy when she lost on November 8th.

I like that every so often this thread goes so far off the rails someone thinks donald loving trump was somehow the better choice

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

In the waning days of the presidential campaign, Bill and Hillary Clinton had a knock-down, drag-out fight about her effort to blame FBI Director James Comey for her slump in the polls and looming danger of defeat.

'I was with Bill in Little Rock when he had this shouting match with Hillary on the phone and she accused Comey for reviving the investigation into her use of a private email server and reversing her campaign's momentum,' said one of Bill Clinton's closest advisers.
'Bill didn't buy the excuse that Comey would cost Hillary the election,' said the source. 'As far as he was concerned, all the blame belonged to [campaign manager Robby] Mook, [campaign chairman John] Podesta and Hillary because they displayed a tone-deaf attitude about the feeble economy and its impact on millions and millions of working-class voters.

'Bill was so red in the face during his conversation with Hillary that I worried he was going to have a heart attack. He got so angry that he threw his phone off the roof of his penthouse apartment and toward the Arkansas River.'

one of the best parts about her campaign was mook and friends constantly trying to shut out bill, the one guy in the room with any experience winning a real election

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

That's the funny thing -- there's still a crucial part of assembly that requires manual labor between the electron gun and the tube itself:

Can you not just use a flatscreen for a cabinet?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

lmao, bill clinton.....good????

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

UHD posted:

I like that every so often this thread goes so far off the rails someone thinks donald loving trump was somehow the better choice

maybe they got to loot their neighbors house when ICE got done with it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Muppets On PCP posted:

one of the best parts about her campaign was mook and friends constantly trying to shut out bill, the one guy in the room with any experience winning a real election

i'm picturing bill just constantly in the background going "hi, former president here that got elected on "its the economy stupid" and i have some advice" as everyone ignores him

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

anyone who was happy on november 8 is insane, lol

i mean, this is the insane asylum thread, but still. i went through like half a bottle of OGD 114 that night

I wasn't happy with the result, just happy she lost. I was ready for it but not expecting it. I was way too partisian on forgiving Hillary for her faults lmao. Now that the shackles are off I can post like I want to!

Btw this sounds like an excerpt from the book we're reading in the C-SPAM book club lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yea the secret subplot of Bill just furiously shouting "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, HILLARY, STOP" while Mook pushes him out a side door is pretty golden.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/855189332721848321

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i was wondering the whole time

when's bill coming??? when are we getting an arithmetic speech that reminds us all that even if obama/hillary kinda suck, bill's there to keep it all straight baby

and it somehow never happened

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm picturing bill just constantly in the background going "hi, former president here that got elected on "its the economy stupid" and i have some advice" as everyone ignores him

"What's our messaging problem? Is it guns? Is it a gun thing??"

"Have you tried talking about the economy, I hear that's a winning method."

"Shut up, Bill, we're having a meeting here. Have you tried making fun of his hotels???"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

eonwe posted:

lmao, bill clinton.....good????

everything else about him is reprehensible but goddamnit, the man knows how to get elected president

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Yea that's been my takeaway so far. Clinton hosed up, but the real 'villains' in this book are idiots like Mook and Podesta who ran an overly focus tested campaign focused on some absurd idea of dignity and mind games against a 70 year old fox news grandpa shouting "THEY NEVER PAN THE CAMERAS" at his crowd. Clinton was a bad candidate, but bad candidates win all the time, her death sentence was being a bad candidate surrounded by nepotistic simpletons who view staying in their weird DC bubble as a source of pride rather than shame.

She was the one who selected the nepotistic simpletons that surrounded her though

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

[in reference to my last post quoting Taibbi]

Which is basically the same point made on Chapo this week about The West Wing. Democrats no longer have an ideology, think America Is Already Great, and that what's needed is a competent administrator with experience to steer the ship and make sure the course never changes.

This goes hand in hand with that whole End Of History bullshit from a few decades ago

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

thankfully precisely zero people from montana follow The Hill

ah wait the top response is actually someone from montana, gently caress

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

got any sevens posted:

Can you not just use a flatscreen for a cabinet?

yeah but it's not quite the same

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LGD posted:

She was the one who selected the nepotistic simpletons that surrounded her though

As David Axelrod pointed out in a good troll tweet, her campaign was making the same mistakes it made back in 2008 such her nasty attacks on Bernie and the very bad campaign can ultimately be blamed on her very failed controlling leadership.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

This goes hand in hand with that whole End Of History bullshit from a few decades ago

Exactly the point they made on the podcast. Amber even read from End of History.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i do like that this thread gives bill a pass all of a sudden now that they found out he screamed at hillary once

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Yea that's been my takeaway so far. Clinton hosed up, but the real 'villains' in this book are idiots like Mook and Podesta who ran an overly focus tested campaign focused on some absurd idea of dignity and mind games against a 70 year old fox news grandpa shouting "THEY NEVER PAN THE CAMERAS" at his crowd. Clinton was a bad candidate, but bad candidates win all the time, her death sentence was being a bad candidate surrounded by nepotistic simpletons who view staying in their weird DC bubble as a source of pride rather than shame.

Ok, but, Clinton was the one who actively picked nepotistic simpletons who viewed their weird DC bubble as a source of pride rather than shame to surround herself with because they were her kind of people. She had decades in Washington at the levers or power to find good campaign staff, and a whole Presidential primary's worth of experience in *why* surrounding yourself with nepotistic simpletons was a bad move. And yet when the time came for 2016 she once again actively surrounded herself with nepotistic simpletons. Her death sentence was her never ending string of incredibly poor choices that she herself chose, repeatedly, to make. Mook is bad but Clinton bears the fault for knowing how bad he was from previous experience and still deciding he was the man for her. The real villain is still Clinton, its just that the stars were her incompetent henchmen (whom she knowingly hired).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

UHD posted:

Bernie was. Never forget that Hillary is why we have Trump instead of Bernie.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

i was wondering the whole time

when's bill coming??? when are we getting an arithmetic speech that reminds us all that even if obama/hillary kinda suck, bill's there to keep it all straight baby

and it somehow never happened

it was pretty telling he was the only big name from the campaign who did a rally within two hours of me, in a heavily democratic and black but rural part of my state

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

like if you've never seen this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhWD-2KurPU

watch it

bill clinton led america in an in-depth analysis of why the republican economic "plan" is devastatingly stupid and the tea party a disease, using hard facts and figures, a speech that from anyone else in politics would be stiff, unnatural, "wonky"

and he killed it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Exactly the point they made on the podcast. Amber even read from End of History.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lexus_and_the_Olive_Tree

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LGD posted:

and the mechanism of her failure was the same as in 08

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Al! posted:

i do like that this thread gives bill a pass all of a sudden now that they found out he screamed at hillary once

any sin can be forgiven if you poo poo on hillary

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

my bill clinton good thing was a joke, but in this case it was good that he screamed at her

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"In 2005, Friedman said that he framed this theory in terms of McDonald's Golden Arches "with tongue slightly in cheek"."

Actually, you'll find that my posts were meant to be ironic,

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

The "superpredators" attack is based on the same mistake tho :q:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Al! posted:

i mean gently caress bill clinton but there isn't a more natural politician in the world than him, it's ridiculous he was shunned

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

Less surprising then people giving Hillary a pass, some of them twice :lol:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

god himself would get campaign advice from bill clinton and schedule a few bill speeches

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I like the world building that these writers paint. I pictured Bill's immaculate luxury flat in mosquito bit Arkansas and Bill throwing the phone into the river, with the knowledge Donald John Trump would be president because of a phone call he made a year before.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
globalism owns

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i can totes understand ppl bein happy she lost cuz yall spent a year+ bein real fucken smug n up ur own rear end to each other

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jesus getting crucified? nbd bill's there to convert pontius pilate to christianity with a wink and a grin

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bill is a bad human being but an incredible campaigner and public speaker. Not consulting Bill on basically everything was such an incredibly dumb unforced error on Hillary's part.

Also lol that the Democratic candidate for president had so alienated the sitting president from her own party that he avoided directly supporting her as much as possible while simultaneously ignoring her two time presidential victor husband's advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/855059228255563776

• Locked thread