Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's probably obvious, but I was thinking about how logic is literally turned upsidedown in this universe. Sure, we can laugh at Matt and John for writing a book about Kevin. But, at least in Matt's case, why wouldn't he? Everything he's seen points to Kevin as a literal messiah. If he's a priest, what else is there to believe??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They do pretty much state that point outright in the episode.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

They do pretty much state that point outright in the episode.

That's what I'm saying!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Last Chance posted:

It's probably obvious, but I was thinking about how logic is literally turned upsidedown in this universe. Sure, we can laugh at Matt and John for writing a book about Kevin. But, at least in Matt's case, why wouldn't he? Everything he's seen points to Kevin as a literal messiah. If he's a priest, what else is there to believe??

There's nothing at all pointing to him being a messiah. He's clearly entangled with supernatural events, but the only person he saved in his supernatural excursions was himself.

They've made the mistake of making the leap from "something supernatural is going on" to "something satisfyingly meaningful is going on", but there's no guarantee of the latter.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, they leap to the idea that Kevin is Jesus without thinking maybe he's just a Lazarus.

Matt's very much the Locke of the show-- someone who, while correct that something supernatural and special is going on, leaps to unreasonable conclusions he can't be talked out of. An idea pops into his head about what might be true and he becomes convinced that it is, charging forward without regard for who could be hurt.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Why is everyone so bearded now?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Onomarchus posted:

Why is everyone so bearded now?

Visual shorthand, so that the characters don't have to constantly tell each other "Boy, things sure are different...3 Years Later..."

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

JethroMcB posted:

Visual shorthand, so that the characters don't have to constantly tell each other "Boy, things sure are different...3 Years Later..."

Also plays well with the religious overtones.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really, really, really enjoyed that episode and cannot figure out what that last scene could mean.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

Professor Shark posted:

I really, really, really enjoyed that episode and cannot figure out what that last scene could mean.

Dont worry, they'll answer all your questions just like Lost did.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Zarlog posted:

Dont worry, they'll answer all your questions just like Lost did.

This episode did give up a lot of stuff that could have been left unknown.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm thinking the point of the "Sarah" part was to let us know from the beginning that the world is not actually ending in 13 days.

The world already ended

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Who killed the world?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Kevin ruins all his relationships given time. He's not a bad person but he has mental issues he needs to get professional help with.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As much as I'm sad to see Dean go, it was a good way to show how Kevin has changed (or maybe just how far he could have gone in another direction, like Dean)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I've seen two different titles listed for the series finale: "The Book of Nora" and "A Full Explanation for The Departure That Is Both Physically and Religiously Satisfying". I'm not quite sure which one to believe...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

No matter what happens the ending will piss a lot of people off. I wish I was that cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Invalid Validation posted:

No matter what happens the ending will piss a lot of people off. I wish I was that cool.
I'm not looking forward to the people that are mad at the ending who never even saw more than an episode or two of the show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey you know how The Leftovers was the best show airing in 2014? and 2015?

It's still the best show airing, here, in 2017.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah it's really very good in a messed up LOST echo way and I love it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Damon Lindelof should try to adapt House of Leaves next.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

House of Leaves has been stuck in development hell for literal years at this point, and having actually read The Leftovers even season one kind of barely resembles the book outside the general overall plot points. It's more of a jumping-off point for Lindelof than a blueprint for the show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

House of Leaves has been stuck in development hell for literal years at this point

Wait, really? Who's behind the project?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, really? Who's behind the project?

Don't remember. It was optioned for a movie and has, again, been stuck in development hell for I think at least this decade if not longer.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

House of Leaves has been stuck in development hell for literal years at this point, and having actually read The Leftovers even season one kind of barely resembles the book outside the general overall plot points. It's more of a jumping-off point for Lindelof than a blueprint for the show.

Yeah, the book is really good but so, so different than what ended up on screen. I think really only Jill's story stayed true to the original text...they backgrounded all the stuff with Kevin and Amy, teasing but never committing, and Laurie's story/the GR obviously went in a wildly different direction.

Oh, and we lost all the Spongebob Squarepants stuff with Nora, drat licensing issues.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, the book is really good but so, so different than what ended up on screen. I think really only Jill's story stayed true to the original text...they backgrounded all the stuff with Kevin and Amy, teasing but never committing, and Laurie's story/the GR obviously went in a wildly different direction.

Oh, and we lost all the Spongebob Squarepants stuff with Nora, drat licensing issues.

I am not sure who Amy is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

UmOk posted:

I am not sure who Amy is.

Aimee, Jill's friend in season one who is written out completely unsatisfyingly and one of the very few things Season 1 does badly.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Aimee, Jill's friend in season one who is written out completely unsatisfyingly and one of the very few things Season 1 does badly.

They really shortchanged her in every possible way in the show. She's just living at the Garvey's inexplicably all season then decides to go somewhere else, while the book makes it clear that she came from a kinda rough family situation that got even worse when her mom Departed, leaving her in the legal custody of a creepy, probably abusive stepdad. She and Kevin grow uncomfortably close as they both seek any kind of human connection - and as Book Kevin definitely does not look like Justin Theroux, he's a bit more receptive to a teenager flirting with him than he should be.

I understand why they kept her on the show, because she drives/facilitates Jill's rebellious streak, but they kept a lot of extraneous traits that never paid off because they didn't explain who she was a person.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

JethroMcB posted:

They really shortchanged her in every possible way in the show. She's just living at the Garvey's inexplicably all season then decides to go somewhere else, while the book makes it clear that she came from a kinda rough family situation that got even worse when her mom Departed, leaving her in the legal custody of a creepy, probably abusive stepdad. She and Kevin grow uncomfortably close as they both seek any kind of human connection - and as Book Kevin definitely does not look like Justin Theroux, he's a bit more receptive to a teenager flirting with him than he should be.

I understand why they kept her on the show, because she drives/facilitates Jill's rebellious streak, but they kept a lot of extraneous traits that never paid off because they didn't explain who she was a person.

I feel like in the show version of the story it doesn't fit for her mom to have departed. Especially since it seems intentional that the show is set up so that none of the main characters had any direct relatives/loved ones depart except for Nora. At least until we find out about Laurie's fetus at the very end of the season.

If Dean could come back for one episode I wonder if Aimee or the twins would.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

When Kevin says something like, "Tin-foil hat or a Kenneth," is "a Kenneth" a reference to Kenneth, what is the frequency?

JethroMcB posted:

Huh? Do tell.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Onomarchus posted:

Huh? Do tell.

Book Nora has an obsession with watching Spongebob as a way of remembering her kids, because it was part of their nightly pre-bed ritual. She watches it twice a day and then writes a letter to her children about the episode. There's a bit where Kevin, once they're dating, is kind of resentful that their "date nights" very rarely deviate from having dinner at home and then watching Spongebob on DVD - and that she's absolutely entranced by it, unresponsive to his advances, focused on the screen "As if Spongebob were a Swedish art film from the 1960s."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

UmOk posted:

Did anybody say season 2 was bad? Pretty sure a lot of poster just said they like 1 better.

Season 1 was hot garbage outside of like 3 episodes and that something as good as season 2 could possibly come out of it is a miracle in itself.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Season 1 was such hot garbage that it got a second season and retained a loyal following going into that second season.
:rolleyes:

Edit: vvv I'm just pointing out ridiculous hyperbole that's probably not even sincere and just meant as confrontational bait. Season 2 > Season 1.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 23, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I think most people got into it with season 2, after it was confirmed they fixed tons of the problems with s1. Certainly most I know who watch it. I don't think 1 is garbage but preferring it to 2 is absolutely straight-up insane.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

Season 1 was such hot garbage that it got a second season and retained a loyal following going into that second season.
:rolleyes:

Fine, it was mediocre.

Season 2 by comparison was fantastic, not a single episode running off-beat.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Confirmed: Season 1 of the Leftovers is literally on fire in a garbage can. Also, it was so bad that people that liked it are actual insane people with severe mental disabilities.

This is fact, not opinion, so there is no reason to qualify it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
S1 = poop n piss

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Season 1 was the cold and stale leftovers of season 2.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Was Season 2 any good? I was getting Chemotherapy when it was on because Season one LITERALLY gave me cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who liked season 1 over season 2 to enter the kingdom of God.

• Locked thread